7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods
Kane
post Sep 1 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #101

Master
Group Icon

Hopefully, someone comes up with a way to block the CC content from auto-dl'ing.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 1 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #102

Ancient
Group Icon

Couldn't you set the game to no auto updates?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 1 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #103

Master
Group Icon

Yep, but if you would ever need to update it for something, you'd get the CC content shoved down your throat. A lot of speculation is that this is a bug by Bethesda (par for the course).

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #104

Ancient
Group Icon

I do not see any option to turn off auto updates. All it gives me is 3 options: Always keep this game up to date, Only update this game when I launch it, and High Priority, always update this game before others.

So it is either offline mode forever, or update.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 2 2017, 05:09 AM
Post #105

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cain @ Sep 1 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Yep, but if you would ever need to update it for something, you'd get the CC content shoved down your throat. A lot of speculation is that this is a bug by Bethesda (par for the course).

Well Khajiit thinks it's a fairly safe bet that any future updates will be for this "Creation Club" junk. Therefore you'd not be missing anything if you didn't update your game ever again.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2017, 11:30 AM) *

I do not see any option to turn off auto updates. All it gives me is 3 options: Always keep this game up to date, Only update this game when I launch it, and High Priority, always update this game before others.

Well PC folks can delete the excess data, so its not a big deal for PC users. Khajiit was mainly asking about the no auto update solution for PS4 and XB1 users, because this one thinks Cain is playing either Fallout4 or Skyrim on a PS4. Maybe, Khajiit is mistaken?

Here is a link with useful info for PC users wanting to rid themselves of the "Creation Club" junk files.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 2 2017, 05:24 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #106

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 2 2017, 12:09 AM) *

Now that is interesting. I looked and saw those cc* files instantly. It looks to me that Bethesda downloaded all the assets for their micro dlc. Only the .esp files are missing. So why should I bother buying their micro dlc, when I can just create a .esp file of my own for everything I want? Thanks for giving away all that stuff for free Bethesda!

I just extracted all the Gauss Rifle Prototype files from their archives. I think I am going to use the meshes and textures to replace the vanilla Gauss Rifle with them.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 2 2017, 04:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 2 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #107

Councilor
Group Icon

Not much different from giving PC users SE itself. It's the console users that can't use it without paying, and they're the main market.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 2 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #108

Ancient
Group Icon

Well PC folks can delete the excess data, so its not a big deal for PC users. Khajiit was mainly asking about the no auto update solution for PS4 and XB1 users, because this one thinks Cain is playing either Fallout4 or Skyrim on a PS4. Maybe, Khajiit is mistaken?

Here is a link with useful info for PC users wanting to rid themselves of the "Creation Club" junk files.

What I did on the XBox for forced patches that I didn't want was to let them download everything; then go into offline mode. (I just pulled the internet cable from the back of the XBox). Then go into the memory and find the patches, delete them. As long as I stayed offline that worked. The second I went online they wanted to re-patch the game or shut me down. So I'd let them, then do the same thing all over again.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 2 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Now that is interesting. I looked and saw those cc* files instantly. It looks to me that Bethesda downloaded all the assets for their micro dlc. Only the .esp files are missing. So why should I bother buying their micro dlc, when I can just create a .esp file of my own for everything I want? Thanks for giving away all that stuff for free Bethesda!

I just extracted all the Gauss Rifle Prototype files from their archives. I think I am going to use the meshes and textures to replace the vanilla Gauss Rifle with them.

laugh.gif CC has its first pirate! rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 2 2017, 08:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 2 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #109

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 2 2017, 10:25 AM) *

This lends even more credence to Ghastly's supposition that the downloading of all CC content may be a bug.

Oh and "Avast me hearties! Arrrrrr!!"

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 2 2017, 09:47 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 3 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #110

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cain @ Sep 1 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Well Khajiit thinks it's a fairly safe bet that any future updates will be for this "Creation Club" junk. Therefore you'd not be missing anything if you didn't update your game ever again.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Nah, no PS4 for me anymore - built my PC about a year ago. But, when the missus turned on the PS4 to play Crash Bandicoot yesterday, it was auto updating FO4, so my HDD is already infected.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 3 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #111

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cain @ Sep 3 2017, 08:06 AM) *

Nah, no PS4 for me anymore - built my PC about a year ago. But, when the missus turned on the PS4 to play Crash Bandicoot yesterday, it was auto updating FO4, so my HDD is already infected.

Boooo! Well, Khajiit would go ahead and set it to no auto update to keep any future updates from junking up your HD.

*Crap. Khajiit just remembered that as soon as he turns on his PS4 again, it will download that patch. May just delete F4 from the PS4 altogether. Probably won't ever play it on PS4 again.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 3 2017, 02:16 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 3 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #112

Master
Group Icon

Just had to pause the Steam dl for it, too. Probably won't update or play until I learn anything new about this debacle.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 3 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #113

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cain @ Sep 3 2017, 09:55 AM) *

Just had to pause the Steam dl for it, too. Probably won't update or play until I learn anything new about this debacle.

Well as far as Khajiit can tell, on PC it doesn't actually hurt anything; you just have to update F4 Script Extender if you use mods that require it.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 4 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #114

Master
Group Icon

Not being involved with Skyrim at the moment I knew nothing of this thread's existence until brought to my attention on the General Discussion Forum the other day. Can't say I wasn't expecting this to rear its ugly head again at some point. I can say that I'm less than ecstatic about it. Much less. Much much less. This sort of thing is unlike to ever die unless users stand our ground and refuse to participate. (Easy for me, but I'm not Beth's primary audience.) Possibly refuse to purchase any future Beth titles that supports it. Not likely to happen. Besides, my guess is that there is a ready market for paid mods on Playstation, which so far as I know remains free-mod denied. I'd link some recently watched YouTube videos on the matter, but suspect you've seen 'em all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 5 2017, 04:29 AM
Post #115

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 4 2017, 10:43 AM) *

Not being involved with Skyrim at the moment I knew nothing of this thread's existence until brought to my attention on the General Discussion Forum the other day. Can't say I wasn't expecting this to rear its ugly head again at some point. I can say that I'm less than ecstatic about it. Much less. Much much less. This sort of thing is unlike to ever die unless users stand our ground and refuse to participate. (Easy for me, but I'm not Beth's primary audience.) Possibly refuse to purchase any future Beth titles that supports it. Not likely to happen. Besides, my guess is that there is a ready market for paid mods on Playstation, which so far as I know remains free-mod denied. I'd link some recently watched YouTube videos on the matter, but suspect you've seen 'em all.

Welcome D! Khajiit believes your assertion that this paid mod conflict will never go away unless consumers simply refuse to purchase any more Bethesda games/content. As you also pointed out, that's not likely to happen. It's very sad, but man's greed will always win out it seems. They couldn't get it to fly one way so they relabeled it and changed the semantics of it to try it again.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 5 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #116

Councilor
Group Icon

It's not just "paid mods" - it's also "mods for PS4". Sony won't allow user-generated content unless it comes from Bethesda, so the mini-DLC is the only way they'll get any. I suspect the bsa's are being made part of the "base" to avoid restrictions on mod space - only the .esl's will count against that limit. However, all other users of the game on other platforms are suffering from the way it's being implemented.

The bottom line is that version updates will become more frequent, as they'll consist of new DLC bsa's, If you delete them, you're just wasting bandwidth, as they'll come down again with the next "update" to the game.

My big concern is for the mod authors who joined the Creation Club, who may now be restricted from making free mods, and are effectively working for Bethesda without actually being employees.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 5 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #117

Master
Group Icon

Speaking of concerns, one of mine is when new free mods begai cutting into the potential profits Beth makes from already existent monetized equivalents or near equivalents. I can see Beth's legal department going after "unfair" competition that affects their bottom line. Maybe not right away, maybe not ever. But I can't rule it out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 10 2017, 12:44 AM
Post #118

Master
Group Icon

Gopher - Money vs. Goodwill.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 13 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #119

Councilor
Group Icon

A couple of interesting developments:

SKSE64 alpha is available - primarily for mod authors to provide feedback. That removes my concern that it was on hold pending CC negotiations (maybe they're finished, and can get back to work?)

There's an announcement that download of CC content may get eliminated for PC. It always looked like a console thing only, so hopefully it goes that way. AS long as CC doesn't barrage us with patches that break SKSE64 each time, we have hope.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 13 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #120

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 12 2017, 07:14 PM) *

A couple of interesting developments:

SKSE64 alpha is available - primarily for mod authors to provide feedback. That removes my concern that it was on hold pending CC negotiations (maybe they're finished, and can get back to work?)

There's an announcement that download of CC content may get eliminated for PC. It always looked like a console thing only, so hopefully it goes that way. AS long as CC doesn't barrage us with patches that break SKSE64 each time, we have hope.

Wow, so some good news! Thanks G! Khajiit really would like to get back into Skyrim, but he doesn't want to go back to the original and without a Script Extender the Special Edition is a no go too. Good to hear they are making progress.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 13 2017, 03:53 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:01 PM