3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Toon!, share your development character ideas
Renee
post Aug 22 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I think there is a thread somewhere around here about our Oblivion characters once they are already extant. The New Toon thread, however, is going to be about developing a character, or 'toon', as it were. smile.gif I usually keep the process of developing new ones to myself. I might ask others what this new one's name should be, or something basic like this, but I want this thread to be more interactive.

I'm developing a Druid idea. Going to be a 'he'. I have a very vague idea of making a Breton male druid who lives almost entirely outside of civilization. I know nothing of the druids though. I know nothing of their history, other than the stereotype in DnD, in which they remain close to nature. My new toon will stick to this stereotype. He will be somewhat like glargg's Wild Elf character, methinks.

I want to explore the possibility of all those cool weapons found in other games (like quarterstaffs and pole weapons, perhaps, maybe even blowguns and slingshots! ) for my druid guy. I know there's gotta be some mods out there like this. I've already got some sort of spear mod in my games, but the only way to access it is to visit the basement of the Skingrad FG. My druid aint going that far.

That's as far as I've gotten. I never could make a druid in the vanilla game, because it doesn't support the sort of nature scene I've been visualizing in my head for years. The only peaceful creatures are deer and butterflies. So on PC, the doors have opened. MMM adds tons of peaceful (and not-so-peaceful) creatures. Witchcraft makes a lot of hostile creatures (like wolves) into passive animal acquaintances. That sort of thing. smile.gif

I am going to do some reading on druids this weekend, no doubt. This should be fun!

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Aug 22 2014, 11:04 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

New toons to beat the game with! biggrin.gif

IRL Druids were probably not much like what they are in D&D (which is to say nature-loving hippies! laugh.gif ). I say probably because we do not know a whole lot about them anymore. The Romans did a very thorough job of exterminating the Druids, part of a concerted effort on their part to annihilate Celtic culture. Sadly most of what we do know comes from the Romans themselves, which is rather like relying soley upon Christian monks to form an opinion of 9th-11th century Scandinavians.

What we do know for certain is that they were the intelligentsia of Celtic society. They were not just the holy people, but also the historians, the doctors, the poets, the architects, the mediators, and so on. Basically the learned folks. They moved freely through Celtic tribes, even those at war, because they were considered above all that.

That's not to say your idea of a tree-hugging hippie is a bad one. Sounds great to me! I created Witchcraft for exactly that sort of character.

I often keep most of the process of developing a new character to myself as well. Usually it starts with some spark - often entirely random - like seeing a movie or reading something. That gets me thinking about a character idea. Then I start fleshing it out by thinking of what the character will wear and use. This takes a lot of effort on my part, as it has to reflect their personality and concept. It also has to complement the character's physical appearance. As those who follow my video/pic thread now, I sometimes boil it down to three or four outfits and throw them out for opinions. Other times I see something on the character - and like Darth Vader looking at the power generators on Hoth - I know that's it. To help out I created a starting cell for Skyrim that all my new characters begin the game in. It has good neutral lighting, and chests with all the non-enchanted gear in the game. There is also a smithing station and all the ingots, leather, and strips, so I can smith up modded items on the spot. This lets me try on different outfits and see what they look like before starting the game.

Sometimes I also come up with a very detailed background. Sometimes I know only a little bit, and let the rest come as I play. Then there is the name of course. Like the outfit, this has to be just right. For a long time now I have been using the names of goddesses, as well as mythical or legendary figures, and even sometimes RL people. I usually try to pick a name that fits the character, but have not always done so. My first Morrowind character was an archer, so I named her Artemis. My second was Prytania (the Invincible Queen Of the Dead) and she was a fighter. I just like the name as it is one of Hekate's appellations and decided to use it.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 23 2014, 12:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 23 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 22 2014, 07:03 PM) *

New toons to beat the game with! biggrin.gif

LOl poor Pseron! laugh.gif

Cool, I'm very grateful you've typed all that, SR. That helps a lot! .. and I'm really excited to be making a new toon character! I don't think I'll be able to beat the game with him though. smile.gif

So the Romans eradicating the Celts is pretty much like the Spanish doing the same with the Incas, Aztecs, etc. That sucks. And I had no idea the druids were very learned people. Again, the stereotype is what I know. Which is also okay. I like the idea of this guy spending a lot of time out in the middle of nowhere. But what you are saying is that it is okay if these characters also spend some time in civilization to some extent.

What I am thinking is maybe there's (yet another) mod that adds some sort of outcast society. You know... someplace that isn't in a walled town that could possibly add a guy or gal who sells spells. And for sure, I'm going to give my druid guy some starter spells. Calm and Control and Restoration, some Alteration spells.

Yes, I also know what you mean about that 'spark' of creativity when creating new ones. The idea of Lady Saga came to me while standing in a supermarket aisle, for instance. I saw Lady Gaga's picture on some trashy tabloid, and decided I had to make a character with a play on Gaga. And it just started from there.

I like your idea for starting Sky characters in a special room. That makes it easier I bet. The vanilla game is horrible for chargen: in the vanilla game you can't make the camera get real close like we could in Oblivion.

Your obsession with outfits is like my obsession with names. smile.gif Gotta have it just right. hehe.gif Anyways, thanks for your insights on druids.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 02:15 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

The Romans had a nearly genetic fear/hate of the Celts. It goes back to the Celts sacking Rome. They never got over that... So when the Romans finally got the upper hand, they set about wiping out the Celts. They could not kill them all outright, so instead they did the next best thing, and struck at the heart of their culture: the Druids. That way they destroyed what it meant to be a Celt. The only places the Celts survived as Celts were in Wales, Ireland, and Scotland (though Scotland is debatable, as that seems to have been more Pictish than Celtic).

What is interesting is that while the Romans did conquer Wales, they did not assimilate the culture there as they did in England and everywhere else. The only marks of Roman occupation are the forts and roads they built for their army. Otherwise the land appears to have remained Celtic, albeit without the Druids. Contrast that to areas in England where people were building Roman-style villas before the Romans even invaded.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 23 2014, 02:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 23 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Aug 22 2014, 11:58 PM) *
I know there's gotta be some mods out there like this. I've already got some sort of spear mod in my games, but the only way to access it is to visit the basement of the Skingrad FG. My druid aint going that far.

You don't need to visit the FG basement to get that spear, the same goes for any item added by mods. Just download The Elder Scrolls Construction Set (or is it Creation Kit? I always mix them up), choose a mod in the loading list and search for the wanted item's ID. It may sound confusing and it may look even more confusing when you run TES:CS but it's the easiest way to obtain mod-related items with the console. I often did this with some mods that require me to either visit some location either do some quest to obtain an item - I just skip the entire process and consolize the item. tongue.gif I wrote this very vaguely now but if you'll need more help how to get this spear's ID, let me know - You have my number. whistling.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Aug 23 2014, 04:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Aug 22 2014, 11:58 PM) *
I know there's gotta be some mods out there like this. I've already got some sort of spear mod in my games, but the only way to access it is to visit the basement of the Skingrad FG. My druid aint going that far.

You don't need to visit the FG basement to get that spear, the same goes for any item added by mods. Just download The Elder Scrolls Construction Set (or is it Creation Kit? I always mix them up), choose a mod in the loading list and search for the wanted item's ID. It may sound confusing and it may look even more confusing when you run TES:CS but it's the easiest way to obtain mod-related items with the console. I often did this with some mods that require me to either visit some location either do some quest to obtain an item - I just skip the entire process and consolize the item. tongue.gif I wrote this very vaguely now but if you'll need more help how to get this spear's ID, let me know - You have my number. whistling.gif

This is made a lot easier in Skyrim, as in that game you can just open the console and type in

help "item name" 4

and the game will give you all the ids for the name you put in. If you have only a one word name, you don't need the quotations.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 23 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Paladin
Group Icon

Renee, love the ‘Fetch Pseron Wyrd’ title of this thread! tongue.gif

A classic fantasy / D&D druid sounds fun; I should think though that if you severely limit his interaction with others that the game might become stale rather quickly.

Sounds like you are familiar with SubRosa’s mod to get along with and summon forest creatures. It is a superb mod as many here will attest.

I also use the following two mods and endorse them:
- Natures Bounty - This provides clothes for men and women made from leaves and vines. Buffy gets her 'spriggan' outfit here.
- Natures Arsenal for Rangers Druids etc – This provides weaponry fashioned from nature items. Buffy's living bow with leaves growing from it comes from here.

You can also search ‘Druid’ on Oblivion TESNexus and get about a page of other mods that may be helpful – I’d be intrigued by the enchanted druid tree home. . . .

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 23 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Gosh darn it! Yet another thread I can never participate in! wacko.gif

Hey, a suggestion to Renee for a crazy character: Lou Nee Thoon! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Aug 23 2014, 04:36 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 23 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

mirocu: don't be silly, of course you can participate! .. all you need to do is start Oblivion, click on "New Game" and then uhhh .... um... huh.gif uh .. maybe not. blink.gif

Lopov & SubRosa: Okay, thanx! .. Still haven't used the CK yet but you make it sound easy, which helps.

Acadian: Wyrd is gonna smack me. Fly to Maryland and hunt me down and smack me around! And whoa, thanks so much for those mods. I like the bows & nature blades. I really want to find a quarterstaff mod too, just to have something that's outside the normal realm of TES4 weapons. Something new.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Aug 23 2014, 09:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 23 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

Hopefully, SubRosa will pop back on here with some staff ideas. I think she has used a variety of modded staves with several of her characters.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

My elven ears are burning... laugh.gif

Armamentarium - Staffs adds a whole bunch of new staffs. They still act the same as the regular staves though, basically as guns that shoot magic. If you are looking for a staff that you can use as an actual melee weapon, I think there are other mods that do that. I cannot think of any off the top of my head though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 24 2014, 02:06 AM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, SR, thanks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 24 2015, 03:47 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

I haven't forgotten about my druid idea. Just been very sidetracked from him. The inspiration will strike for him, some day. Probably summer, when it's lush & green outside again.

In the meantime, I've got yet another idea. A GUARD. He will probably be a Redguard, too. I was reading about a mod called Forts of Akatosh which adds all sorts of new NPCs, buildings, quests (etc.) and if I make my guard character guy, chances are he will be using this mod.

Oh, and his name will be Sol Vayshunn. hehe.gif Sol Vaytion. I'm still working on his name. As a guard, he'll be just like one of the other guards who travels around, sort of like Decrepit's character, I guess.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 24 2015, 09:06 AM
Post #14

Spam Meister
Group Icon

He won´t be stationary like Lothran, then? wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 24 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #15

Paladin
Group Icon

Sol Vaytion (aka Red Guard) as a Legion Rider! That'll work and be fun as well. All the free ale he can drink when he pulls into a roadside tavern!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 24 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 24 2015, 03:06 AM) *

He won´t be stationary like Lothran, then? wink.gif

I have no idea, actually. Maybe there's tons of things to do within the fort itself.

In any event, Sol is merely a concept right now, he's not even in alpha yet. (ha ha).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jan 29 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

You come up with the best names, Renee! laugh.gif I'm still waiting to hear more from Skankee Crack-Ho (sic).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 29 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Jan 29 2015, 11:40 AM) *

You come up with the best names, Renee! laugh.gif I'm still waiting to hear more from Skankee Crack-Ho (sic).

Skankee Krahk-ho died actually. indifferent.gif She was a character I had back in 2012 or 2013, and she had a habit of doing some really risky things, so she didn't last long.

She lived in Embershard Mine, and finished absolutely zero quests, outside of Unbound and joining the Mage's College. She did a bandit contract for the jarl of Whiterun, for instance, but never bothered to collect her pay! .. When Hearthfire came out, she somehow got a notice from the Jarl of Falkreath from that courier guy. She read it, and tossed the flier on the ground! .. This was REALLY hard for me because I was really psyched for HF, but Skank could have cared less.

She also had some very sick habits. She *ahemed* with dead people, for instance. indifferent.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jan 29 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 29 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Skankee Krahk-ho died actually. indifferent.gif

Somehow that seems appropriate. verysad.gif

She also had some very sick habits. She *ahemed* with dead people, for instance. indifferent.gif

What a skank! blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 30 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 29 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Too bad she never met Persephone... laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:09 AM