13 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boston Bewilderings, The Fallout 4 "Where are you now?" thread
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #121

Ancient
Group Icon

Persephone killed Vivec in Morrowind. It was a long time coming.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2017, 01:12 AM
Post #122

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been playing Aurora - a new F4 character - and was working on fortifying Sanctuary. I started with putting up a stone wall with a doorway in it at the bridge, and a few gun turrets. Then moved on building walls around the entire settlement. I was almost all the way back when I heard gunfire. Really close.

Aurora ran over to the bridge and found two Raiders were attacking. The gun turrets were giving it back, but one got knocked out. Aurora put the Raiders down with her institute rifle. That is the only time anyone has ever attacked Sanctuary in one of my games.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 9 2017, 01:21 AM
Post #123

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 8 2017, 07:12 PM) *

I have been playing Aurora - a new F4 character - and was working on fortifying Sanctuary. I started with putting up a stone wall with a doorway in it at the bridge, and a few gun turrets. Then moved on building walls around the entire settlement. I was almost all the way back when I heard gunfire. Really close.

Aurora ran over to the bridge and found two Raiders were attacking. The gun turrets were giving it back, but one got knocked out. Aurora put the Raiders down with her institute rifle. That is the only time anyone has ever attacked Sanctuary in one of my games.

No pics?!!

Khajiit always thought that if he ever has a daughter, Aurora would be an awesome name! Yeah, this one has had Raiders attack Sanctuary a few times, but we get far more attacks on Red Rocket, from both Raiders and Muties. Great Cernunnos how Khajiit hates those Muties!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 9 2017, 01:26 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #124

Ancient
Group Icon

Annie has been doing the Minuteman questline. I have always liked helping the settlements. Pretty much all my characters do that even without doing the Minuteman stuff. There was not much more to it than taking the Castle, which my characters have often done without the MM questline as well.

But since I did the MM questline, after clearing the Castle I had to get Radio Freedom up and running. I thought I had done it after building power and connecting it to the radio transmitter. While I was doing all the building I scrapped the big door sealing off the Armory, which gave me instant access to it, the artillery schematics, and the artillery flares. Which in retrospect was not good.

The Old Guns quest started a few days later. But it was out of ordered because I had already gotten the schematics and flares (and even built some artillery). My first time trying to test out the artillery I got a CTD. Then I realized that Radio Freedom was not working. It didn't show up in my pipboy, and all I heard was static around the Castle.

So I did some digging, and found that Radio Freedom being down is a known bug. The Minuteman who is supposed to man the radio just stands there, rather than sitting down and actually using it. I tried assigning other Minutemen to the radio, but it did not work. I tried assigning the regular operator to the radio, but the game literally would not allow me to assign him to anything. I tried about twenty times, but it just would not work.

I tried a console command I found on the internetz that is supposed to allow you to assign people to the transmitter. You select the transmitter and type in "setpapyrusvar bAllowPlayerAssignment True". Then I tried both assigning a new Minuteman and the original to the radio. Still no luck. You cannot use the artillery without Radio Freedom, so I was disappointed. But after that I gave up.

A day later I opened my pipboy and noticed that Radio Freedom was working! Annie was attacking Quincy, and I took full advantage. I found the main door to the place and tossed an artillery flare into the area behind it. It was a little slow, but I got the acknowledgement from Radio Freedom that they saw the flare. After a little while the artillery came in. I had built two guns, so it was impressive. Each gun must have fired at least 5 or 10 rounds. Annie pulled out her Fat Man (I have been saving up mini-nukes all game for a special occasion like this), and added to the destruction. It was a magnificent display of explosives!

So something got Radio Freedom working. I do not know if it was the console command. Or spamming the assign command to the normal radio operator. Or if it just takes a few days for it to work.

I think the full solution is this:

1. Open up console using ~

2. Select the radio transmitter (hex value should be 0009FF48[EP])
you can confirm its the right reference by selecting the radio transmitter, typing "sv" and confirming "bAllowPlayerAssignment = False" is a listed autoproperty in the Papyrus output.

3. with the radio transmitter selected type:
"setpapyrusvar bAllowPlayerAssignment True"

4. with the radio transmitter selected type:
"sv" to confirm the variable has been changed

5. assign any random settler to the radio transmitter, this should force the minute man to sit down and start using it again

6. with the settler you assigned to the transmitter selected, type:
"setpapyrusvar bWork24Hours True" this should make the radio still work at night

I have always like clearing Quincy too. I just wish there was a quest associated with it to wipe out the Gunners there, and turn it back into a settlement. It seems like it should be part of the Minutemen questline. That would be a great way to finish it.

Speaking of the Minutemen questline, I have wrapped up all I can do without doing main quest/Institute. There are a few settlements left to bring up in the far south, but that won't be any different from the other settlement quests. From what I see in the wiki, the MQ stuff is the same no matter what faction you do to start with, until you meet Father. It looks like as the Minutemen I don't have to join the Institute (like you do with the Railroad). Apparently you can kill Father right there and go right to wiping out the Institute.

I don't know if I want to do all that. One thing I don't like about the MQ is that finishing Act I brings in the Brotherhood. I liked them in Fallout 3. But in New Vegas they were just a bunch of dicks, and my impression of them in F4 is no better. It is probably undeserved, but the way their vertibirds constantly go all over the map picking fights with everything they see just annoys me. It strikes me as a naked act of aggression, and makes me think things have gotten worse in the Commonwealth, not better.

All in all I am really underwhelmed by the Minutemen questline. Preston wanting to make you general just seems ridiculous, since he is the one doing all the actual leading and planning. You are just along for the ride. A figurehead at best. It is another example of how Bethesda seems to think they have pander to every player's ego by making them the leader of everything in the game.

The rest of the questline is really sparse. I enjoy helping the settlements, but those are not really very complicated or varied, and they don't even require truly joining the Minutemen. The Castle as a settlement does not do anything for me. The artillery was fun to use. But it takes a long time to call it in, which makes it useful only a few situations where you are attacking a fixed position, and the defenders are not aware of you (otherwise they come out and attack you, and are out of the field of fire).

So I don't see me ever doing the Minutemen again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 22 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #125

Master
Group Icon

It feels like a bad dream but if it were a mere dream, then "Snake" Logan would wake up already. But so far he hasn't, and the harsh reality of what had happened to him and his family, hit him like the bombs hit the world 200 years ago.

Walking among the ruins of the place he had called home, despair is seizing "Snake" Logan yet if some drug addict of the Minutemen has a sight she claims to have, then his son should still be alive. Because of that, "Snake" Logan refused to further help Preston and his company, instead deciding to head south - to Diamond City.

His wife and son meant everything to him but with them gone, Logan yet again feels depressed as he had felt so many times before he met his future wife more than 200 years ago. He's a loner and as such, he declined Codsworth's offer to accompany him to the wastes. Perhaps the dog will tag along if he wants to, but even if he doesn't...the snake is used to being alone.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 22 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #126

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jul 22 2018, 10:08 AM) *

You assume correctly. It also leads to one of the most reviled features of this game. A settlement is under attack! dry.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jul 22 2018, 04:17 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 22 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #127

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jul 22 2018, 11:08 AM) *

The settlements are all out there already. When you find each, the people living there will ask for your help clearing out some nest of baddies nearby, usually Raiders, Ferals, or Super-Mutants. Sometimes you will get a quest to open up a new settlement by killing all the critters lairing there. Usually it is Taffington Boathouse.

After you help the settlement they will join the Minutemen. This happens regardless of whether you help Preston and do the Minutemen questline or not. I think Bethesda just assumes every player will do the Minutemen questline, so they never made any option for helping the settlements without doing it.

In any case, once you help a settlement you can use their workshop to build things. I always build a wall around it and a few gun turrets for defense. Transfer Settlements is great for that. Once you do each settlement with one character, you can use it to save the layout, and then just import it with other characters. You can live in the settlement if you want. Or just ignore it for the rest of the game.

You will get occasional attacks on the settlements you helped. An attack being triggered depends on how good its defenses are compared to its output of food and water. The game will give you a warning, and if you want you can fast travel there and appear in time to fight in the battle. Or you can ignore it, and the game basically auto-resolves it.

If you do the Minutemen questline there is always another settlement in danger that you are being sent to. Bethesda thinks you constantly have to be running around like crazy putting out fires that way. After all, it is not like people play open-world games just to wander around and explore the world... There are mods that tone down the insanity of the Minutemen questline though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 22 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #128

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for some explaining, now it sounds even less to my liking. Logan might help an occasional settlement, we'll see about that, but ATM I don't have any interest in building defenses etc...the game will have to auto-resolve those attacks when they occur, also because I don't fast travel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 22 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #129

Ancient
Group Icon

You can try slow travel then. But I don't know if you would get there in time or not. You might.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 22 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #130

Ancient
Group Icon

Personally, Khajiit likes the Settlement system, for the most part. It eliminates the need to mod in a player home, unless your character is very specialized (wants to live in a tomb, for example). Building your home base any way you want is a nice feature that Khajiit really hopes makes it into future BGS titles (Starfield, TES6, etc). That said, this one does think they went a little too far with it in some respects, and not far enough in others.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 22 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #131

Master
Group Icon

Having an own home sounds nice, I agree. Live in a tomb? LoL, maybe some future character. biggrin.gif

Knowing myself, I'll try this feature out at some point but not yet. Too many other things about Fallout 4 attract me more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 22 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #132

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jul 22 2018, 01:07 PM) *

Live in a tomb? LoL, maybe some future character. biggrin.gif

Well hey, Khajiit and Subbie both had characters that would be right at home in a nice cold crypt so you never know! laugh.gif

One day this one wants to try a character that is just all about building and survival. No lost sons, no pesky factions.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 22 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #133

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jul 22 2018, 11:08 AM) *

so that is either reserved for later game or for another character.

At least you are open to the idea. I agree, it has to be the right character though. I'm curious what you'd come up with for a settlement, you are super-creative with interiors, for instance.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 22 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #134

Ancient
Group Icon

Persephone's home...

...is a nice cozy tomb

I like the way you can craft in the settlements too. Some of the blueprints for Transfer Settlements that people have put on the Nexus are mind-blowing. I still make my own player homes for certain character who want a lair that is not in one of the vanilla settlement locations. But now I make my home mods settlements, where you can craft furniture, buildings, workbenches, etc... The only thing I have not quite figured out is how to dismiss companions to the modded homes.

I just created a new player home on a tugboat. I was inspired by the Red Wave mod. But I did not like how that mod forces you to go to Far Harbor to get it, and how it forces an NPC first mate on you. So I put one of the big tugboats near Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution. I made a workshop and turned it into a settlement, and added in some basics - crafting stations, a bed, and 3 power boxes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 23 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #135

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 22 2018, 03:41 PM) *

I just created a new player home on a tugboat. I was inspired by the Red Wave mod. But I did not like how that mod forces you to go to Far Harbor to get it, and how it forces an NPC first mate on you. So I put one of the big tugboats near Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution. I made a workshop and turned it into a settlement, and added in some basics - crafting stations, a bed, and 3 power boxes.

Yeah it really sucks you have to go to Far Harbor to get Red Wave. Should be able to delete the NPC in the CK, yeah?

Also, Khajiit would be interested in that tugboat file, if you don’t mind sharing.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jul 23 2018, 12:10 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 23 2018, 01:08 AM
Post #136

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 22 2018, 07:04 PM) *

Yeah it really sucks you have to go to Far Harbor to get Red Wave. Should be able to delete the NPC in the CK, yeah?

Also, Khajiit would be interested in that tugboat file, if you don’t mind sharing.

I got the impression that you needed the first mate to do things like move the ship. Though I could be wrong.

My tugboat house is still pretty rough. I just discovered that I need to navmesh it, as companions won't set foot on it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 23 2018, 02:36 AM
Post #137

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 22 2018, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 22 2018, 07:04 PM) *

I got the impression that you needed the first mate to do things like move the ship. Though I could be wrong.

My tugboat house is still pretty rough. I just discovered that I need to navmesh it, as companions won't set foot on it.

Well keep us posted on your progress. Your tug boat home sounds cool!

The first mate for Red Wave appears to be nothing more than a nod to the original mod author. As far as Khajiit can tell, he has no effect on the functions of the ship. You can still move it by using the “ships controls”. That said, it does make sense that you would have someone watching the ship while you are ashore. On the other hand, it’s fubar that you can just pop into Fah Hahbah, waltz onto the ship, and take it without any opposition from the first mate guy. Khajiit supposes you could pretend that you struck a deal with the guy, but if you deleted him you could just straight up steal the ship Jack Sparrow style.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jul 23 2018, 02:37 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 24 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #138

Master
Group Icon

Logan and Dogmeat made it to Diamond City. So far, so good - the most challenging fight was with Super Mutants in some location north of Diamond City, because a group of them attacked from different sides at once. After the battle was over, Logan switched a laser musket for a pipe bolt rifle (it has some mods equipped so I don't recall its full name). The musket was powerful but manual reloading after every hit didn't help much in the situation against Super Mutants.

Crossing the river, they ran into a group of raiders which weren't that tough to bring down though their leader was wearing Power Armor so he was quite resistant to damage.

After finally getting some rest on a proper bed in the Dugout Inn it's now time to talk to certain individuals of this most friendly town.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 24 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #139

Councilor
Group Icon

"Laser musket" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

... just so you know Lopov, musket guns are basically old technology, used mostly during our Revolutionary War, which happened way back in the 1770s. It was how America got free from England's reign. Boston was a major player in this war.

Anyway. Nobody uses musket guns anymore (at least not that I know of, other than war reproduction campaigns) so the idea of a 'laser musket' is pretty much Beth's twisted sense of humor. They could have called it a laser rifle, but wanted to have that old-timey name associated with them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 24 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #140

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jul 24 2018, 09:20 AM) *

"Laser musket" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

... just so you know Lopov, musket guns are basically old technology, used mostly during our Revolutionary War, which happened way back in the 1770s. It was how America got free from England's reign. Boston was a major player in this war.

Anyway. Nobody uses musket guns anymore (at least not that I know of, other than war reproduction campaigns) so the idea of a 'laser musket' is pretty much Beth's twisted sense of humor. They could have called it a laser rifle, but wanted to have that old-timey name associated with them.

Well the laser musket is basically a makeshift laser rifle, kind of like how the pipe guns are makeshift ballistics weapons. But yes, it was called that to fit in with the whole revolutionary war theme the Minutemen have.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 PM