52 Pages V « < 50 51 52  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
SubRosa
post Aug 27 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #1021

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished Margaret Killjoy's - The Barrow Will Send What It May. It was good, as was the first. More anarchist demon hunters. This time they got tangled up with an Endless Spirit called Barrow. Well really with one of its minions, a self-made necromancer. His wife died of cancer, and so he brought her back from the dead with a spell that uses the power of Barrow.

I really liked how she did Barrow. It is the guardian of the doors between life and death. Through Barrow, you can bring someone back. But it demands its books be in the black. So for every resurrection, someone else has to die. Furthermore, they come back, but not quite the same, something is lost, and something added. A little bit of Barrow comes with them. Once enough of Barrow comes through, it can fully form itself in the mortal world. Cue the Apocalypse. So every time a necromancer brings someone back, they are literally rolling the dice with the fate of the world.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kane
post Aug 28 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #1022

Master
Group Icon

Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #1023

Ancient
Group Icon

Love the new avatar!

I never did read Foundation, or any of Asimov's really famous stuff.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 28 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #1024

Councilor
Group Icon

I think I've read all twelve books of the Foundation trilogy. blink.gif

I haven't read all 273 of his non-fiction books, either.

--------------------
Mods for Oblivion and now Daggerfall and Skyrim. Fan fiction, too.
+Quote Post
Kane
post Aug 29 2019, 02:35 PM
Post #1025

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 28 2019, 12:51 PM) *
I think I've read all twelve books of the Foundation trilogy. blink.gif

Heh, I know what you mean. I looked into the series before reading and wasn't really sure where to start. Decided to just read the original three.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 28 2019, 12:01 PM) *
Love the new avatar!

I never did read Foundation, or any of Asimov's really famous stuff.

Thanks! biggrin.gif
This is my first foray into Asimov. Heard good things about his stuff.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #1026

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished the novelette The Black God's Drums, by P. Djeli Clark. It was a really cool alternative history story set in late 19th Century New Orleans. It has some steampunk, but only a little bit. Not enough to become ridiculous. There is also a little magic, which was really well done.

The two protagonists are both black women. Well one is still a child. That was really nice to see. The grown up was the captain of an airship. That being the steam punk part. And she had a mechanical prosthetic leg. The bad guys are renegade Confederates who are trying to get their hands on a magical weapon that the Haitians once used to gain their independence from France - The Black God's Drums, named after Shango. It is so terrible that they never used it again.

It was a fun adventure through an alternate world of New Orleans. I really hope to see more like it from the author.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 3 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #1027

Mouth
Group Icon

Almost forgot to mention that at 1032, 1 Sep this year, I finished my second read of Katharine Kerr's A Time of Exile, fifth entry in her Deverry series, and am now some pages into the next book, A Time of Omens. I feel the series is improving as it progresses, but for me remains standard fare.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 8 2019, 02:01 AM
Post #1028

Mouth
Group Icon

At 1035 this morning I finished my second read of Katharine Kerr's A Time of Omens. She has yet again improved as a writer, but I still don't consider these books 'must reads.' I'm now a few pages into the next volume, Days of Blood and Fire.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 13 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #1029

Mouth
Group Icon

At 1628 yesterday, during supper, I finished my second read of Kartharine Kerr's Days of Blood and Fire. I again found this an overall improvement over its predecessors, though the 'quest' she chose to end with was relatively lackluster. I'm now some pages into the next volume, Days of Air and Darkness.

--------------------
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 50 51 52
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2019 - 08:53 AM