> Neverwinter Nights, Another Classic RPG series
Acadian
post May 2 2015, 03:14 AM
Post #61

Paladin
Group Icon

Goodness, it’s a zombie invasion! ohmy.gif

I had such a laugh over the wererats – er, werecats. tongue.gif

Bone golems – ugh, I remember those from BG II.

Persephone found a dwemer centurian! wink.gif

And a dragon!

I’m so glad that you and Persephone and Darryl are having fun in NWN I! smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 2 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #62

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 1 2015, 09:55 PM) *

I keep being surprised by the extreme detail in the textures of this world; they are amazing - but the characters don't seem as high resolution in comparison.

These monsters are huge! I guess you really need a group to fight them. I saw some similar oversized beasts in the vids of ESO and wondered if they will be too hard for a solo player to kill, or even just a party of three, lol.

Well, I have to say my favorite of these is Godzilla, dear gods is Persephone alone against him?

Awesome shots!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Sep 4 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #63

Mouth
Group Icon

Have y'all seen this?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 4 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #64

Ancient
Group Icon

That looks really cool! I was thinking it reminded me of Dragon Age: Origins. Then I saw it says it was made by the leadership team that made DA:O. I wonder who that really is? I looked it up, and it is Dan Tudge. Apparently he was also the Director of DA:O.

It requires Steam though. sad.gif

There is a look at the actual gameplay here. It looks good.The Mordekin's Sword spell was really neat. I also noted that the party necromancer was spamming what looked like magic missiles. That is not something I am used to seeing in any D&D based game, as usually in them Wizards get their two spells to cast a day and then spend the rest of the time jabbing things with pointy objects. So that is good to see.

The Ogre Zombie near the end is cool.

I liked the voice actor who does the Dwarven Rogue. But the necromancer's voice actor just sounds silly.

I noticed that the character casting the heals also used a bow. Was that a cleric? Are they allowed to use non-blunt weapons now?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 4 2015, 01:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Sep 4 2015, 01:46 AM
Post #65

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 3 2015, 08:31 PM) *

That looks really cool! I was thinking it reminded me of Dragon Age: Origins. Then I saw it says it was made by the leadership team that made DA:O. I wonder who that really is? I looked it up, and it is Dan Tudge. Whoever that is. Apparently he was also the Director of DA:O.

It requires Steam though. sad.gif

There is a look at the actual gameplay here. The Mordekin's Sword spell looked really neat. I also noted that the party necromancer was spamming what looked like magic missiles. That is not something I am used to seeing in any D&D based game, as usually in them Wizards get their two spells to cast a day and then spend the rest of the time throwing jabbing things with pointy objects. So that is good to see.

Now they get some infini-cast low-level spells called cantrips, and gain more spell slots based on level for more powerful spells.

This post has been edited by Rohirrim: Sep 4 2015, 01:49 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 12 2019, 11:57 PM
Post #66

Ancient
Group Icon

I downloaded the Enhanced Edition of Neverwinter Nights 1 a while ago. I decided to finally give it a whirl. It comes with up to 1920 x 1080 resolution at 144 mhz. It is nice and sharp, but it makes everything really small. So far as I can tell, all the mods from the old version of the game work fine with it. At least all of those I have tried. So that is good. Likewise, saves from the original game seem to work fine with it as well.

I rolled January.

She kicks goblin butt

January is a monk, and I plan to multiclass her as a cleric or perhaps a sorcerer. I might try both, and see how they work out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 13 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #67

Paladin
Group Icon

Very cool! smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 13 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #68

Ancient
Group Icon

Just out of curiosity, I loaded up the Diamond Edition of NWN1 that I bought from Gog as well, and compared it to the Enhanced Edition. There are almost no differences. The EE has a few more visual effects. However, I also found a bug in on of those. Anti-Aliasing on the EE causes the screen to look blurry. So I had to turn it off. However, the regular edition has up to x4 Anti-Aliasing, and it looks just fine. It also has the same screen resolutions, even up to 144 mhz.

I think the real changes to the EE were in getting the multiplayer to work again, which I do not care about. I think I am going to uninstall it, and go back to playing the regular edition.

Unfortunately, while saves from the regular game will work on the EE, the reverse is not true. My saves from the EE do not work on the old version. So I will have to start over. I never even finished the tutorial, so no big loss there however.

I also kind of wonder if I start as a Sorcerer, take a raven familiar, and then use the console to change my class, will I still have the familiar?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 14 2019, 01:28 AM
Post #69

Ancient
Group Icon

I went back to the Enhanced Edition after all. It has a high resolution font that is easier to read in 1920 x 1080 than the similar font in the original game version.

I also found that if I started as a Sorcerer and then changed classes, the familiar remained. However, with a new class there is no way to ever summon the familiar again. So once it gets killed or unsummoned, it is gone forever. So that is not an option.

I played January a bit, and she leveled up her second time as a Sorcerer. She took a Raven familiar whom I named Nevermore. It was that or Croaker, or Edgar Allan. I like the familiar/sidekick. But I found I am not really using the Sorcerer spells.

I took Mage Armor, but it does not look like I need it. I also took a Grease spell, but it does not seem really ideal given that January is a melee fighter herself. I also took an Identify, and will probably find a use for that in the future. She picked up a crossbow in the tutorial, and that gives her a 1d8 ranged attack to start every fight out with before closing to melee. So she really does not need any 1st level attack spells.

I am not sure if I will keep the Sorcerer level or not. I can remove it with a cheat code to remove experience, resetting my level down to 1st. Then I can do another code to add the XP back, and level up again. I like the Raven. I just am not sure about the spells. I guess I just have to decide if the Raven is worth the level. It probably is. I can use the Leto save game editor to beef up its stats, so it can stand up to a fight. It should be worth it then, as it will give me a fighting companion. Then I would not have to take any of the regular companions in the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jun 14 2019, 04:04 AM
Post #70

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, SubRosa, I also have just now fired up Neverwinter Nights (got it when it was free sometime this past year). Yet this is my first time ever playing it. By Ysmir's Beard, the tutorial is LONG. Had to stop for the night but I'll try to play some more tomorrow.

I'm not well-versed in how D&D works, at least the in-depth stuff. I know enough to get by in a video game where it tells me something I don't know, but I would be awful if I ever played pen-and-paper. Even in a video game, however, there are some terms that I am expected to understand but I don't. I have pretty much no idea what "thac0" or "saving throws" mean. (The first is something to do with armor and the second is evading damage from an attack, I guess?). But I more-or-less understand things like the classes, at least.

Anyway, here is what I remember creating for my character at the beginning.

Name: Eliza Maddox
Physical Characteristics: Female, red hair down to the shoulders
Class: Paladin (default package)
Deity: Keanu Reeves (I tried to take it seriously, but I couldn't think of anything that would work. I thought about pulling from TES, but I decided I didn't want to take from another video game. So I just picked the One/Ted/Johnny Silverhand.)

I picked a Paladin since I thought it would be a good blend of magic and melee. There sure seems to be a lot to learn, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Jun 14 2019, 04:05 AM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 14 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

Welcome to Neverwinter and the frozen North Rad!

Thac0 is short for To Hit Armor Class Zero. It was a simplified way to figuring out what you need to hit. In the original D&D rules they had a big chart of what you needed to hit each armor class. The later streamlined it down to just the one Thaco stat.

In the early D&D versions the lower your Armor Class the better, with it often going into negative numbers. -10 being the best, +10 the worst. They changed that around with the 2nd edition, where the introduced the Thaco idea, and a higher armor class was better. Since then your base Armor Class is 10, and from that you add bonuses for armor, shields, dexterity, and so forth.

I don't think Neverwinter Nights uses Thaco though. I think that went out after the D&D 3.0 version rules came out. Now you just have an attack bonus. You roll to hit, add your bonus, and if it is equals or exceeds your target's Armor Class you hit.

Saving Throws are used to resist attacks or otherwise harmful effects. If a monster poisons you, you get a saving throw. If you succeed you might take no damage, or only half damage. If you fail you take full damage. So the better your bonus to saving throws, the better.

Paladins are a strong class. You are immune to fear and disease. You can heal. You can turn undead. There is a lot to like. I enjoyed playing one in NWN2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jun 15 2019, 04:25 AM
Post #72

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 14 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Thac0 is short for To Hit Armor Class Zero. It was a simplified way to figuring out what you need to hit. In the original D&D rules they had a big chart of what you needed to hit each armor class. The later streamlined it down to just the one Thaco stat.

In the early D&D versions the lower your Armor Class the better, with it often going into negative numbers. -10 being the best, +10 the worst. They changed that around with the 2nd edition, where the introduced the Thaco idea, and a higher armor class was better. Since then your base Armor Class is 10, and from that you add bonuses for armor, shields, dexterity, and so forth.

I don't think Neverwinter Nights uses Thaco though. I think that went out after the D&D 3.0 version rules came out. Now you just have an attack bonus. You roll to hit, add your bonus, and if it is equals or exceeds your target's Armor Class you hit.

Saving Throws are used to resist attacks or otherwise harmful effects. If a monster poisons you, you get a saving throw. If you succeed you might take no damage, or only half damage. If you fail you take full damage. So the better your bonus to saving throws, the better.

Paladins are a strong class. You are immune to fear and disease. You can heal. You can turn undead. There is a lot to like. I enjoyed playing one in NWN2.

Thanks! And huh, Rad is a good nickname for my username. Never thought of that one before.

RE Thac0: Oooooohhh, so that's why it is a "0" instead of a "o." I remember that TESI: Arena had negative numbers mean better armor. Always struck me as rather odd. Thac0 isn't in NWN; I just brought it up because it was related to how much I didn't know about older D&D stuff.

RE Saving Throws: So I was more-or-less right. I think the "throws" part just puzzled me a bit.

Yeah, I've tried to branch out more with different playstyles in RPGs. I've usually played Warriors first and foremost, but I have tried to incorporate some more variety. A Paladin seemed like a nice balance of melee and magic with relatively little restrictions to have to think about. Fortunately, the character creator gave me the option to take where they recommend you put your points into. I don't think I am experienced enough to make an informed decision on where I put those points, and certainly not enough to purposely gimp myself and still make it through.

I'll try to get some screenshots later. Not sure how to do that in GOG at the moment. Any tips on that?

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Jun 15 2019, 04:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 15 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #73

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Jun 14 2019, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 14 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Thanks! And huh, Rad is a good nickname for my username. Never thought of that one before.

RE Thac0: Oooooohhh, so that's why it is a "0" instead of a "o." I remember that TESI: Arena had negative numbers mean better armor. Always struck me as rather odd. Thac0 isn't in NWN; I just brought it up because it was related to how much I didn't know about older D&D stuff.

RE Saving Throws: So I was more-or-less right. I think the "throws" part just puzzled me a bit.

Yeah, I've tried to branch out more with different playstyles in RPGs. I've usually played Warriors first and foremost, but I have tried to incorporate some more variety. A Paladin seemed like a nice balance of melee and magic with relatively little restrictions to have to think about. Fortunately, the character creator gave me the option to take where they recommend you put your points into. I don't think I am experienced enough to make an informed decision on where I put those points, and certainly not enough to purposely gimp myself and still make it through.

I'll try to get some screenshots later. Not sure how to do that in GOG at the moment. Any tips on that?

Thac0 always makes me think of Thak, a monster ape from one of the original Robert E Howard Conan stories. There he is!

I use Fraps to take screenshots, and host them on Imgur.

Gamebanshee has a Neverwinter Nights site that is pretty good. Has lots of game info and a walkthrough

Gamefaqs has a lot of tips on character building and game walkthroughs

The Neverwinter Wiki also has tons of game info

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #74

Ancient
Group Icon

After briefly flirting with first multiclassing as a Sorcerer and then as a Cleric, I reset January back to 0 xp and went with a straight Monk. I mostly liked the Sorcerer for the raven familiar. But the problem is that while I could buff up its hit points with the save game editor (so it could survive fights in the later game), it would rest back to its defaults every time it was summoned. Editing it every time was too much work.

The Cleric was similar. Like the Sorcerer, it gives you a summon animal spell. But even in the early game it was dying whenever faced with a tough opponent. Unless I was going to commit to the class, it was not going to be really useful.

I even tried using the console to give her some of the Pale Master feats for summoning undead, and took one level in Pale Master (otherwise you cannot use them). But they just did not look right for her. I thought about it because necromancy runs in January's family, pretty deeply in fact.

So I am just going it as a straight Monk. Sadly Monks cannot use scrolls. I am going to see if I can figure out how to mod that so they can. It would be nice if she could use some Summon Creature scrolls to give her some backup in big fights. Or I will probably have to recruit a companion after all.

January Ward, Gang Boss, Fight!

Karate Kid

Feet first

Knockout!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #75

Ancient
Group Icon

Rader, one thing I am remembering about NWN is that potions are definitely your friend in this game. I keep the bottom row of the first tab in my inventory filled with potions, sorted by type for easy access. Healing of varying types on the right of course. Other good potions to stock up on are:

Barkskin = armor class bonus
Aid & Bless = nice bonuses for a fight
Clarity = makes you immune from mind effecting spells like Fear or Charm (a necessity in certain dungeons!)
Antidote = removes poison effects
Lore = Gives you a bonus to your lore skill, for identifying magic items
Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, Owl's Wisdom, Cat's Grace, etc... = each gives a bonus to a particular stat. Pick the ones best for your class
Haste = Double your actions. Save these for big boss battles.
Lesser, Normal, and Greater Restoration = gets rid of all sorts of magical penalties. I am not sure if these come in potions, but they do come in scrolls that all classes can use.

You can even have a companion drink a potion in your inventory. I forget exactly how. I think you can drag and drop the potion from your inventory onto their picture in the UI.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 17 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #76

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to NWN, January! I remember the monk form BGII being a pretty good class. Looks like you and she are having fun! smile.gif

As ever, thanks for all the wonderful info on your games. This is certainly a great resource for anyone interested in NWN.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 17 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #77

Ancient
Group Icon

@Subbie-
Is January a monk?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2019, 11:11 PM
Post #78

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 17 2019, 05:42 PM) *

@Subbie-
Is January a monk?

January is a monk, pretty much like she is in her fiction. Except without the high tech hagfish armor.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 17 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #79

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 17 2019, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 17 2019, 05:42 PM) *

@Subbie-
Is January a monk?

January is a monk, pretty much like she is in her fiction. Except without the high tech hagfish armor.

Nice! Khajiit is running a Kenku shadow monk in a D&D campaign right now. It’s a blast (when the rolls are going right anyway, lol)!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jun 17 2019, 11:23 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jun 17 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #80

Mouth
Group Icon

Cool screenshots, Subbie! And yes, you just drag potions/healing kits onto your henchman for them to use it. Potions have definitely been helpful for the most part, although I haven't had a chance to use some types (e.g. lesser restoration, which does come in potion form).

I've really enjoyed my time with the game so far, and have played way too much of it the past couple of days or so. I am in the Chapter One finale right now after getting back all the Waterdhavian creatures at the Road to Helm's Hold.

I've gotten pretty decent at the game, but there are still some things I am trying to figure out. I just cannot figure out how to make my normal attacks quicker, because they are fairly slow. The Great Cleave feat and attacks after killing an enemy help, but I am talking about normally. Also, I can't figure out why I can't use the Level I Paladin spells. They are dimmed out and just say "0," even though I know the spells. I've been able to use Lay On Hands but that's it. And every once in a while I have a "weapon is ineffective" message without being able to figure out what weapons WOULD be effective. There's some other things here and there but those are most of the big issues I am having.

I've gotten more comfortable with making my own choices on leveling up, too. Briefly considered taking another class but I think that is too confusing with my inexperience, so I'm sticking with just being a Paladin--at least for now. Makes more sense to fully learn how one class works before I try to take on another one.

There's a lot in my adventures that I could go over, but that would take a long while to type so I'll give a synopsis. I first went to Beggar's Nest, and for a while I was doing decently on my own. It wasn't until I got clobbered by those snake cultists in service to Gulnan that I realized I had to get a henchman. So I went back to the Trade of Blades and picked the first follower I could find, Daelan Red-Tiger the Half-Orc. Dude's an absolute beast. No way I could've gotten through most of the stuff I have without him. And that dire spider in those catacombs on the way to Gulnan was total [censored]. It made me have to go over to the Peninsula District and finish that place before going back to Beggar's Nest. The Docks District was relatively easy to get through but that was probably because I had learned a bunch of the ropes of the game at that point. Blacklake was the easiest one to do, which I saved for last. Made a lot of gold along the way and FINALLY got a belt near the end of Chapter One.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:43 PM