5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Luna Lioria, A Shroud of Light in a City of Darkness
gamer10
post Feb 9 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

“Okay, well, I can’t quite remember all of it clearly, but I believe it started when I was but eight years old. I recall my mother and father-“ he stopped and suppressed a sigh, regulating his breathing, “I remember them, the people that came and took them, a few coins were exchanged and they were gone . . .” he paused for a moment.

“It was probably- well you’re parents were obviously being purchased, but how? The slave trade is illegal in Cyrodiil.” I expressed my disbelief through my tone of voice.

He nodded, “I know Luna, and I am not a citizen of the Imperial Province.”

I was shocked by this, he seemed to me to have the personality of any other Imperial I’d met, save the emotional trauma that was nagging at him.

“Where from, then, do you hail?”

He looked me in the eyes, “Will it matter any to you?”

I shook my head, “No, no it won’t.”

“Vvardenfell,” he said “Vvardenfell is my home.”

I shrugged indifferently, wondering why it would’ve mattered? I held no grudge against the people of Vvardenfell.

Suddenly his finger was at my lips, as I began to speak, “Shh . . .do you hear that?” he whispered frantically.

I heard it then, the sound of shouting. Raising my head slowly from where I was lying on the deck I peered out over the water and not far in the distance saw a ship alight with torches blazing along its own deck.

“Oh,” I exclaimed my fear sprouting and growing at a rapid pace, “What’s happening?”

Apparently, from my tone of voice, I’d frightened Nameless. He was still lying down as I stood up slowly, but moments later he hurried to stand.

“Get below deck,” I ordered him, he wouldn’t be able to fight competently at a time when his emotions had taken such a hold of him.

He looked at me, or rather down at me as I now noticed, and said blatantly, “No.”

I did not press the matter any further. As the “foreign” ship approached I noticed there were people standing and staring at the two of us.

“What the hell?”

I turned to look at Nameless as I realized his reason for such livid expression, there were arrows flying through the air. They were on fire!

Others were on the deck now, and everything was frantic. I was pushed aside several times in the minutes that followed as the crew of our ship returned fire.

Nameless was, I noticed, shaking considerably. Suddenly he snapped.

I saw him duck to the deck and hide behind a barrel, how could he do that now? He’d refused to go below deck, but now he was going to leave me to stand alone facing a volley of arrows.

“Coward,” I muttered disdainfully, surprising myself, but it was true. Or was I just callous?

The ship was even closer now, and I watched as it came near and the other crew prepared to board our ship. We were outnumbered, and well, I frankly hoped that we might be able to put up even a puny resistance.
------------------------------------

I can't go revealing everything at once, now can I? The story would die.

-Gamer10 (tongue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tymestrike
post Feb 9 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #42

Retainer

Nice work. Why do I have the feeling that the flaming arrows are not a new way to say "Hi"?

--------------------
Talking? I don't do much of that.

Please excuse my insanity

System Specs
3.0 Ghz Pentium D
1.0 GB RAM
512 Video RAM ATI Radeon 1650 Pro
5.1 Surround Sound Logitech Speakers
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 10 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #43

Mouth
Group Icon

Good Gamer really good.

I wonder what will happen. The emotions of your caracters, are so alive ( hey I found some ideas for my own story...thanks ).

Keep it up please.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Feb 12 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #44

Knower
Group Icon

Once again, you've given us just enough to get our adrenaline flowing, then left us hanging. I do hope Nameless has something up his sleeve other tthan cowering in fear...
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Feb 17 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Luna.PNG

Perhaps it is just my intuition that the chain of events that have occurred up to this moment, took place as if they’d been fully been planned out beforehand. It’s hard to express what I mean, but it’s sort of foggy, it’s as if I’d seen this happen before it had. Life, it seems, is full of silliness, especially when it comes to destiny.

Whether this was destiny or not, I didn’t like it.

With a sigh of exasperation, I trotted grudgingly over to Nameless.

“Don’t tell my you plan on hiding here throughout everything?” I asked irritably, glowering down at him.

He looked up, surprised that I’d sauntered over, and responded rather shakily. “Yes, that’s what I plan.”

I bent down and pulled him up to his feet, “You are not going to stay down there, you insignificant coward!” I yelled, “You’re going to stand your ground!”

He looked rather sheepishly at me, as he cowered before my fury.

“O-k-kay,” he stuttered, and he drew his sword.

The ship was closing in, and I drew in a deep breath, and then let it out in attempt to relax myself.

A volley of arrows took our ship by surprise again, and Nameless threw his arms out childishly in attempt to ward them off.

A warm feeling suddenly came over me, spreading from my upper arm to my chest, surprised I looked down and gasped.

“No . . .Nameless, help!” I cried out, my head swimming as the blood from the arrow wound in my arm begin to trickle down my arm.

Wheeling around at the cue of my frightened voice, he darted over to me, as I began to lose control of myself.

“Good lord! Luna, you’ve been hit twice!”

Where had the second arrow gone . . . and then I remembered the warm feeling in my chest.

Am I going to die?

The last I remembered was that I fell forward and heard the terrified voice of Nameless calling out in desperation.

This post has been edited by gamer10: Feb 17 2006, 08:25 PM
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 17 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #46

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh....amazingly thrilling.....you reeally got yourself a superb story here gamer! yay I like it..AND the nice picture! Hehe somehow I already pictured Luna like that...in my imagination!

Good work! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 17 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #47

Forum Bard
Group Icon

It's like you enjoy leaving off in the most heated moment leaving us wanting for more...well it worked now get to it mate. laugh.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Feb 24 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

“Luna?” I heard the anxious whisper of a recognizable voice, “Luna, are you awake?’

My eyes fluttered open, partly of my conscious doing, and because my longing to see my friends, Nameless and Windswept, was so strong I just couldn’t help myself. I had been out cold for too long, I knew.

“Yes, as a matter of fact I am.” I said merrily, peeking through one eye and grinning up at Nameless, who’s panicked expression was immediately swapped with one of relief.

“Be careful, don’t move about too much, you’ll hurt yourself.” He said, and he seemed depressed despite the fact I’d awoken. His face, though not as burdened with stress as it had been only moments earlier, held no sign of happiness, not even the trace of a smile.

“Oh, don’t be silly,” I said in my normal matter of fact, yet at the same time blissful, tone of voice.

Nameless grinned a bit at that, but placed a hand on my shoulder, “Luna, if you try to get up I will restrain you, Captain Ponius would kill me if you hurt yourself while I was present.”

I sighed and made no move. Instead, I looked dejectedly, half faking my unhappiness, and immediately this forlorn expression on my behalf prompted Nameless to speak.

“Luna, while you were asleep we passed through the Topal Bay, and have set our course for Valenwood.” He told me, frowning while in thought.

“That’s fine with me. What’s the matter?” Now it was my turn to be concerned, I knew he could lose it real fast.

“I’m so far away from home. . .”

“I am far away from home as well, but – wouldn’t you rather find a better home than the one you have?”

This only caused his emotional distress to deepen, “How am I supposed to go about doing that. I know where we’re going – but then again I don’t, not really. Luna, when I first left with you, only three days ago now,” I knew then that’d I’d been asleep at least a full day, and maybe then some, “I did so because I saw an illusion of happiness, something I’d longed for all my life. When I was a child, I used to feel as if happiness was something only the wealthy and well educated could enjoy, like the emotion itself was for the privileged. I know better now, Luna, because when you opened your eyes only a minute ago I was - happy, relieved, comforted by the notion that you were all right. Happiness and content with our lives does not come through ourselves, but through others. It takes others around us to make us happy, and I suppose that’s why I was never happy. When I lived in that decrepit barn, I was never happy, but when I met you and you told me that you were willing to help me, I knew I’d found happiness. No matter where this journey may take me, as long as I’m with you I’ll be all right. I could live anywhere, as long as you were there, and be happy. I don’t need a better home, I just need someone like you.” Something in his voice made me turn my head, he was crying again.

Silence for several drawn out moments, “You haven’t a name, but you need one. Wouldn’t you like one?” I asked quietly as I attempted to understand what he’d just said.

He wiped his eyes, “Yes, I-I suppose I would. . . “

I closed my eyes for several moments, but opened them again soon afterwards, “How about . . .Edward?”

He smiled, “Sounds nice.”

I smiled back, “Sounds noble,” I said, “It’s the perfect name for you.”

And I laughed, no – I giggled (gosh it’d been a long time since I’d done that), and looked up at the ceiling, impatiently awaiting my recovery so that I might jump from this bed and run onto the deck to meet the shining sun.

Here ends the first chapter.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 26 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #49

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Great first chapter Gamer, there seems to be some tension building between the characters and I thought it was good that the character known only as "nameless" has been given a name at this point. Very good mate, keep it up.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Feb 26 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 2

Over the oceans dark waters, above the planes and deserts of Tamriel, a spirit pondered.

“Isn’t this lovely?” he asked himself mockingly, not really expecting an answer.

“Yes, it is,” came another voice, its tone sweet and desirable.

“Luna is quite the adventurer, isn’t she?” the second voice asked.

“No, she’s a foolish young girl who’s going to end up in a lot of trouble.” The first said smugly, as if this was perfect. “She should go home.”

“Now, now, what about our plan?” Asked the second voice.

“What, that nameless, worthless, little boy. Things aren’t going as planned, he wasn’t supposed to befriend her, it will make this whole thing difficult.”

“When the time comes,” the second voice stated, “He will remember who he is, and will serve us once again. That girls blood will cleanse immortality from me, and I will once again be able to live among the mortals.”

“Why you are so jealous of mortal women I do not know, but you’ve heard my warning. Once you are a mortal you shall never return here. In fact,” said the first voice, “You aren’t even sure if Luna’s blood will bring you to a state of mortal capacity.”

“I’m sure of it,” hissed the second voice now, sweetness all but gone, “She is the one.”

Fredas, 17th of Evening Star

Eleven days now, gone by. I saw Edward gaze longingly up at the sky as the raindrops pitter-pattered on the deck of the ship.

“What’s the matter Edward?” I asked him, the familiarity of the question causing me to smile, though the situation didn’t fit it.

“Nothing, just the rain, that’s all.” The gloomy, dark sky was, I agreed, demoralizing.

“A little rain never hurt,” I told him, and the wind picked up as I said it. “C’mon, lets get below deck where it’s warm.” I finished, taking a hold of his arm and dragging him along, he much rather preferred to be on the deck, but I couldn’t let him catch cold.

Below deck I trotted over to my sack of clothing, and changed, Edward turning away so as not to embarrass me, but – I cared little for privacy now. There was no place private enough aboard this whole ship.

“Edward, you should really put on some dry clothes or you’ll get sick,” I said worryingly.
“I’ll be fine Luna,” he said dreamily.

I strolled over to him as he lay in the hammock, and stared grudgingly into his eyes.

“I’m serious Edward, if you don’t change-“ But I stopped as a smile spread across Edward’s face.

He sat up then and I backed away. “Luna, don’t you worry. You worry to much.”

He was right, I did worry far too much, but who was he to tell me that, what was so wrong with me caring.

“Fine,” I grumbled fiercely, pushing him down onto the hammock so that he was in a lying position again, “See if I care.”

He sat up hurriedly and reached out a hand to talk hold of my wrist as he stood, “Luna, I didn’t mean it like that.”

I wrenched my hand away and turned to face him, my eyes blazing with amassed anger. “How the hell did you mean it then Edward?” I cried out, “What’s so wrong with me caring about you?”

He looked hurt. “Luna, can you not see I am a young man, I just don’t need someone worrying about me right now- its not that I don’t want you too. Damn it all Luna, I just can’t care about you the same way you can about me, that’s why.”

I swiped a tear from my cheek, my anger not subsiding. “Why not?”

“I don’t know how.”

With that he turned away from me and stood silent, and, unable to speak to him now, I threw myself down onto my hammock and drifted into sleep.
+Quote Post
Sirin
post Feb 27 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #51

Evoker

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Buuuuurn! Eat it Luna! Nah, I'm just kidding. You've definately got a nice story here Gamer. Keep it up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 27 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #52

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Very nice Gamer, I'm never sure what exactly to expect from the next update and thats what really keeps me interested. Your general style and the way you portray the characters makes this story lively and entertaining. Keep it up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Feb 27 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

I dreaded having to wake up several hours later and stand watch on deck with Edward. He, as usual, would act vague and confused as I stood beside him, and this is what troubled me, his lack of confidence.

Sure, I knew that there was something in his past that makes him act this way, but I couldn’t quite understand why that would cause him to dislike my concern, I’d have thought he would be desperate for friendship.

So, it was as I predicted, and several hours later Edward and I were standing on the deck of the ship looking out over the ocean for any approaching ships.

“Luna, come here.” Captain Ponius ordered, and I approached her.

“Edward is quite an eccentric isn’t he?” she asked.

I nodded, “I don’t think that’s all it is though, he seems rather lost.”

She raised an eyebrow questioningly, “How so?”

“He doesn’t no how to react – to almost anything. I think the only emotion he recognizes is fear.”

“Why is he so afraid, Luna?”

I shook my head, “I don’t know, but I wish he’d tell me. It’s strange enough sleeping a few feet away from a boy who stays awake all night.”

Edward and I stood watch for the next two hours, but neither of us could work up the courage to speak to the other.

When the watch was over, Edward began to saunter away gloomily, but something made me grab him by the shirt.

“Edward- look!” I cried out, turning him around.

He pulled away and turned to where I signaled, in the distance was none other than – the setting sun. Why didn’t he appreciate such a marvel?

“Luna – its just the sun.”

“No,” I told him firmly, “No Edward, its not. It signifies the end of the day, and the coming of the night, it’s a time to look back on the day’s achievements and ponder your own existence. Don’t you see?’

“No, I don’t.”
Frustrated, I pushed him from my path and tore across the deck, heading below.

I didn’t see him reach out in desperation at me as I passed, and whisper, “I only wish you’d teach me how.” Then, his last bit of hope gone, his arm dropped once again to his side, and he collapsed on the deck, leaning against the ships railing and sobbing into his hands as I sat on my hammock below.

Edward came down several hours later, but I pretended to be asleep. Windswept was cuddled up with me, and I knew that Edward needed a companion at a time like this, but the dog had chosen me.

“Luna, you’re awake aren’t you?” he asked accusingly.

Startled I raised my head and glowered at him, “How could you tell?”

“I’ve watched you sleep many a time, you look so much more peaceful when you sleep.”

“Oh,” was all I could manage, Windswept had decided that he wanted to speak with his “master” and had left me to lie alone.

I did feel the slightest bit guilty; ignoring Edward certainly wouldn’t help his emotional condition at the moment.

“Luna, do you ever care about where this ship might take you?”

“No,” I lied, “Edward, does it matter?”

“I just wondered, that’s all.”

“Well don’t, okay.”

“I’m sorry.”

That was it.

I jumped to my feet to face him.

“Edward, damn it all, you do understand. You know kindness, but you won’t let it show. Something’s made you afraid, and if you don’t tell me what it is how am I supposed to help you?” I threw my hands out at him, as if to wring his neck.

“I don’t know what makes me afraid, don’t believe me if you don’t want to, but Luna-“ he broke off, but didn’t cry. He was holding it back, I knew.

“Edward, if you want to cry, go ahead.”

“Please, Luna, don’t act so indifferent. You’re right, I do know kindness, I just wish I knew how to express myself the way you do.”

My frustration with him faded, and I smiled, even though I was puzzled. Taking a step closer to him, I raised my hand to his cheek.

“Let me show you how,” I said, and with a passion so furious as to only be rivaled by the goddess of love herself, I pressed my lips against his.

I only realized several moments later that Edward had no plan to break the kiss, so I was the one who pulled away.

“That was ridiculous Edward, you didn’t even try,” I laughed, rolling my eyes.

“Luna, don’t do that again – at least not while I’m stuck living several feet away from you.” He sighed and sat down on his hammock, but jumped up again.

“Captain Ponius!”

I quickly turned my gaze towards the stairs, and there stood Captain Ponius, a grin on her face.

“Well then, that’s settled.” She said, and without another word she strolled back up onto the deck, leaving Edward and I at a loss for words as we stared at each other then back at the stairs.

I guess it was settled. At least, I hoped.

-----------------

The story should start to pick up from the next update, but I try to put a lot of emphasis on the development of the characters and their emotions, which in general slows down the story.

-Gamer10

This post has been edited by gamer10: Feb 27 2006, 07:43 PM
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 27 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #54

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(gamer10 @ Feb 27 2006, 06:42 PM)
The story should start to pick up from the next update, but I try to put a lot of emphasis on the development of the characters and their emotions, which in general slows down the story.
-Gamer10

I don't think it slows the story Gamer, emotion is one of the strong points of your writing after all. This part is well done, I really like watching the characters develope and Edward finally showing some signs of emotion are an excellent example. Very good mate, keep it up. goodjob.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Feb 28 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #55

Master
Group Icon

“Edward – ?! What are you doing?”

He turned around to face me and I opened my mouth to scream, but as I did so my eyes peered down at his hand, and I watched as he removed his swords blade from me.

“Edward?” I choked out, “Edward, why?”

“Goodbye Luna,” he whispered his eyes glinting with sudden lunacy, “Goodbye.”

Darkness prevailed.

I awoke with a start, and with a headache. Scattered memories of the night were etched upon my brain. The images of my dream were blurry and confusing. So, I tried not to remember, for it only worsened my headache.

Edward wasn’t in his hammock, but Windswept was, the dog was fast asleep.

I strolled over to it and patted it gently on the head as it slept; it opened one eye and peered up at me.

“What’s your secret?” I asked it, humoring myself.

“Funny you should ask.”

Startled, I glanced up, my eyes obviously displaying my shock.

Edward laughed, “I think you fell for it.”

I rolled my eyes, “No, Edward – “I didn’t finish.

He took hold of my arm, “C’mon Luna, lets go up, I think we’ve anchored somewhere.”

My eyes lit up, “Really?”

He nodded, “Well, I think so. I haven’t been on deck, and I can’t tell the difference right after waking up, so hurry-“

We went upon deck, and sure enough. Our ship was anchored, but where?

Captain Ponius and the crew were nowhere in sight.

“I think they might’ve gone off looking for food, we’re rather low on supplies you know, and Captain Ponius doesn’t have a steady income of treasure to purchase supplies with.”

Edward grinned at me, “Looks like we’re alone for now.”

“Don’t get any ideas!” I said warily, looking about the land in front of us.

I was most certainly either part of the mainland of Tamriel, or a humongous island that stretched very far.
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 28 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #56

Mouth
Group Icon

+
Ohhh really, it's getting better this story, you are doing a fabulous story gamer, and I really love it.

I was right when I thought luna and Edward would kiss, but I had hoped they would get together though. Thanks for writing gamer.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Mar 2 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #57

Knower
Group Icon

Just got caught up, and wow, this story has really progressed. Not only is "Nameless" no longer nameless, but has some deep, dark, perhaps even unknown secret that threatens Luna's very existence. Additionally, I still get the feeling that there's a lot more to Windswept than meets the eye. Thanks for the great update(s); I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next.
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 2 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #58

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh...I´m so sorry I´ve missed a lot of your updates, but rest assure..i´ll catch up! This story is faaar too good not to follow!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
gamer10
post Mar 14 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Sometimes new things can be wonderful, but on the other hand, if I were to judge by my experiences from the moment I stepped out into the darkened, snowy, and bitterly cold streets of the Imperial City, I would say that new things are not my preference right now. I’d find myself thinking that sticking to old and “normal” things would have been a more intelligent decision on my behalf.

On the other hand, when I think of Edward, I don’t hesitate for a second to think that this has been for the better. I can almost certainly say that living in a barn with a “dog” and scrounging for food in order to survive is without doubt not a way that any sane person would want. I’m sorry if you like living in a barn, but if you do you’re probably crazy. Then again, Edward seemed reluctant to leave his last home.

The crew returned hours later, all with a look of a very hopeless despair “plastered” onto their faces. When I approached Captain Ponius, she shook her head and walked on. I followed after her as she motioned for the rest of the crew to board the ship.

“What’s the matter Captain?” I inquired.

She looked at me, smiling a bit feebly, “Luna, we’ve been unsuccessful in discovering any edible items, or that at least looked edible. We’re completely out of rations, and we have no idea where we are at the moment. We’re going to have to hustle and find a port city so we can stock up on supplies, and we have to find it soon or we’ll be out of operation, if you get my point.”

I nodded, “Is this a first.”

Captain Ponius sighed, “Sadly, no. Quite frankly it happens often, and it really isn’t anything to worry you over, never has a man or woman died from starvation aboard my ship, and it won’t happen now. Now disease, that’s a whole other story.”

I frowned, “So, how do we know where to find supplies if you haven’t the faintest clue as to where we are?”

She didn’t answer, and I took that to mean something bad, but nonetheless I acted enthusiastically optimistic when I went and spoke with Edward about the dilemma.

“Luna if we don’t have any food, and we don’t know where we are, how the hell are we supposed to survive?” He appeared angry but I knew he was only concerned, “I’m starting to think that livin’ in a barn wasn’t such a bad idea.”

“Don’t talk like that, besides, that barn smelled terrible.” I grinned, trying to make light of the situation, but I knew that the situation could easily be labeled as desperate.

----------------
Sorry about the relative brevity of the passage, but I’m busy at the moment, perhaps an update late today, if not probably on Thursday.

-gamer10

+Quote Post
Tellie
post Mar 15 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #60

Mouth
Group Icon

I'll be waiting...thanks for updatin Gamer...I did notmanage my deadline that was to yesterday either...so it's not only you who is busy.....wonderfull update, to bad they dont find any food...they might just get sick....:paperbag:

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:18 AM