Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Fallout G.e.c.k. Topic
SubRosa
post Mar 2 2016, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I thought about putting this in TK's mod questions topic, but since it is about modding Fallout3, I thought it might be better to create a dedicated Fallout geck questions thread.

I recently came across a few lessons learned that might spare other people some heartburn and wasted hours.

The first is that when creating dialogue in Fallout 3, you must have a mic or headphones plugged into your computers mic jack. Otherwise the Geck will crash when you try to add the dialogue. I think it might only be if you have a Realtek sound card. Since they are common cards, especially in the case of integrated audio cards, it is a good thing to remember.

The second is an issue I found when creating new monsters in FO3. Sometimes new creatures will behave cowardly no matter what you set their AI Settings to. They simply run away from the player character, and will never attack, even if you manage to corner it and get right up in its face. I tracked it down to the mesh and/or texture used by the creature. I finally confirmed it when I changed the cowardly creature's mesh and texture to that of a vanilla creature. Suddenly it became instantly hostile. I then changed it back to the modded mesh/texture, and it became the cowardly lion once more. Of course the modded and meshes and textures are simply copies of the vanilla ones, with the model only being changed to point to the new texture, and the new texture just being recolored.

How a mesh or texture alters behavior in the game is beyond me. I guess it is a "Feature". I did a little searching online and found other people who have had this problem. I never found a solution. The only workaround I found is to create a new creature, test it, and see if its also cowardly or if it attacks.

But that of course is not the end of it. I had three new Snow Scorpions that were all cowardly (copies of the vanilla radscorpions with a white texture). I made a new version that worked correctly. So I deleted my old cowardly scorpions and made two more copies from my working, hostile, snow scorp. Only one copy remained hostile, the other was cowardly. So I deleted it, and made a new copy. The new copy was hostile. But the first hostile scorpion that I had copied it from was then cowardly. Evidently one was always going to be cowardly. Finally I left the cowardly scorpion in the game, and just decided not to use it. I didn't delete it, because then I am certain one of the remaining two would have then become cowardly.

So the bottom line is to keep creating new copies of the monster until you find one that works. Don't delete the cowardly ones, as it just moves the cowardly behavior to another monster that was previously fine. All of this is caused by a new mesh or texture. Thank you Bethesda.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 2 2016, 06:58 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Lopov
post Aug 1 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

You don't need to delete the old navmesh if duplicating the cell. It'll work fine in the "new" cell.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:56 PM