Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Light through Darkness, You asked for it, so here you go.
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 23 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

It's getting close to Christmas, and I'll be away on Holiday to New York for a few days, so I decided to post this now so that you know I am at work. Enjoy!

Chapter 1: Black and White

The suffocating darkness was broken only by the soft blue glows of unnaturally luminescent crystals. The high vaulted ceilings may have leant a feeling of grandeur before, but now felt strangely claustrophobic, as if the walls would close in and crush you at any moment. I was gliding softly through the blackness, guided only by the winking blue lights, following them through what seemed a maze of corridors and passageways.

Suddenly, the walls opened, and in front of me stood a grand chamber, it would have been spectacular had it not been so sinister. The entire chamber was bathed in red light, and strange, black figures were moving about, neither knowing nor caring where their feet carried them. In the center stood a high raised platform, and there another figure stood, emblazoned in armor that seemed sucked the light in from around him, and I was moving towards him. Try as I might, I could not fight the savage need to know whom this man was. I wanted to cry out, scream for help, but my tongue had become iron.

Closer…closer…ever closer I inched, feeling the icy metal flood to my limbs. The figure turned to face me, his eyes glowed a fiery red…

----

Ice cold sweat drenched my face as my head soared from my pillow, my breathing shallow and ragged. Feeling something in my hand, I looked down to see my steel dagger in my hand… how did it get there? Did I pull it out of my pack in my slumber?

I dropped the dagger to the floor, returning my head to the pillow. All a dream, I thought, just a dream, another dream. Calm down Derelas, it’s nothing to worry about. Old news.

----

The Imperial City was only half a day’s journey from Wawnet Inn, as the publican told me over breakfast. Just follow the high street out of town to the Great West Bridge over Lake Rumare, and follow the road from there straight to the gates. It was a lovely clear day outside, and the bridge was not hard to find when I left, the white marble spires framing the road practically burned new holes in my eyes.

The morning bustle was only just beginning as I made my way forth. A balding fisherman was making his way home with his morning catch of some of the biggest Slaughterfish I’ve ever seen. Many of the travelers who slept the night here were gathering their horses and pack mules to continue on to wherever it was they were going. Many others still were filing into the small stores nearby. It was a simple, yet elegant, vista of pastoral harmony.

Forcing my eyes away from the scene, I directed my feet toward the Great Blinding Bridge and made a silent note to thank Y’ffre if I could still see after crossing.

The bridge led to a switchback road up the steep incline of the Imperial Isle, many rocks blocking my view of the city proper. It was just after midday when I finally crested the hill. I was greeted with… more whitewashed walls. It might have been an awe-inspiring sight had I been able to see anything at all, but I ended up having to walk the whole rest of the way with my arm up shielding my eyes because of how brightly polished the marble was. I know this city is supposed to be the shining beacon of the Empire and all, but wow... you think you might be taking this a bit too far? I was quite thankful to finally reach the gates proper, just to be able to see again.

Once I closed distance with the walls, though, the blinding marble gave way to gray granite. Still not to be outdone, the stone was impeccably carved and rose into an imposing Gothic archway housing a raised portcullis and a well-polished bronze gate flanked by two men in flashy steel armor, flaming red feather plumes rising from their helmets… Imperial Legion Centurions.

“Welcome to Cyrodiil City.” One of them voiced to me. They then marched in unison to the great bronze doors and threw them open with an impressive flourish. “Enjoy your stay, citizen.”

I passed through the gates to a scene unlike I’d ever seen before. Instead of the peaceful maritime bustle of Weye, here it was an outright cacophony of voices, footsteps, shrieks, and hoof beats as people large and small jostled this way and that about their daily lives. The huge crowd, from the super-rich in fine linens to the street urchins with no more than stained sack cloth, pattered every which way you could think of past white marble buildings so tall they seemed to wall away the sky. Such a dizzying sight made me begin to wonder if I could ever find the Arcane at all, so I ducked into a shaded back street to pull out my map.

“Looking for something, citizen?” A passing legionary inquired.

“Yes, I’m looking for the Arcane University.” I responded, hoping this guy might be able to make some sense out of this madhouse.

“You’re in Talos Plaza," the legionary told me, indicating a gold sign nearby:

“Talos Plaza. IMPERIVM AD VITAM AETERNAM”

“Just follow Septim Way through Talos Plaza, take a right on Green Emperor Way, follow it around until you reach Stendarr Loop, and it will take you straight to the University.”

Follow who-da, take a right on what-da until I reach where-da? Thankfully, the guard noticed my blank look and handed me a new map, this time of the city itself, and noted everything he told me on it.

“Thanks.”

“We’re here to serve.” The guard brought two fingers to his helmet in salute before clanking away. I started to wonder why guards weren’t this helpful all the time, given my experience at the customs office on my way in from Valenwood, but soon did a double take. This was the Imperial City, after all. The Empire does have an image to maintain.

It took another hour just to find Green Emperor Way. I got lost twice in the crowds and at one point found myself filing my way down Septim Ave. rather than Septim Way, causing me to mumble curses under my breath for the Empire’s shameless lack of originality as I turned back. I eventually fought my way through the chaos of Talos Plaza, and the astounding noise of the crowd died instantly as I crossed the threshold of Green Emperor Way, giving way to a subdued, formal silence, and I felt a strange, liquid-like sensation pass over my skin, probably a spell to help keep the noise out.

“Please show your respect for the Imperial Palace by keeping your voice down.” A guard in blazing white armor decorated with dragons told me as I entered, and I joined the now near-silent crowd making their way along the road. Most of the time my view of White Gold Tower was blocked by the many high-rising buildings, mostly fine hotels and apartments for the city’s wealthiest citizens surrounding the Palace Road, but every so often I would pass a colossal iron gate barring the way to the Palace proper, and was able to steal a glance of the immense structure beyond the veil. It seemed to rise forever towards the heavens, perhaps ascending to touch the face of Aetherius itself, the marble walls were so well polished and maintained it was no wonder I was blinded on my way in, and almost completely blocked by the rest of the city, I could make out the royal graves. Such a sight, already breathtaking from here, must inspire awe when seen from outside the walls; a way of saying: “We are the most powerful society in this land today. To challenge us is to challenge the will of the Nine themselves.”

I felt myself smiling faintly as I turned onto Stendarr Loop.

----

Two shrouded figures crested a flight of stairs bathed in crimson light, where another shadowy figure sat upon a throne of black stone signaled them halt. They obeyed, and then sunk into a low bow.

“What news?” His voice rang with command as he spoke.

“Derelas just arrived yesterday.”

“And now?”

“He left for the Imperial City this morning.”

The cloaked man frowned, this might complicate things a bit; our kind is not welcome there. But no matter, he won’t stay forever.

“What else did you discover?”

“He’s searching for them, and he wants the Mages Guild’s help.”

Mages Guild? The shadowed man smiled, his red eyes lit aflame with amusement at the very idea. The Mages were fools. They had no idea what they were allowing to happen under their very noses. To think they could keep us at bay locked away like dogs. They would be in for a rude awakening, and soon.

“Good. Keep an eye on him. I want to know the instant he leaves.”

“As you wish, Lord.”

The two shrouded figures bowed again, then turned to leave themselves. The red-eyed man smiled to himself. Soon the pieces would be in place. The 433rd Year of the Third Era would soon become forever etched in history.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 31 2010, 06:44 AM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 23 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Half a day from Wawnet to the Imp City? I like the extra size and breadth you give Cyrodiil. It makes it feel more like a real place, rather than a game. Likewise with the description you gave the village. One can see that far more than two people live there!

Your description of the size and sheer chaos of the city itself was wonderful. Derelas getting lost in it really underscores that. Being a country boy in the big city for the first time, that is no surprise. Especially when the Imperials cheat with Septim Ave and Septim Way! laugh.gif

but my tongue had become iron.
A wonderful metaphor!

I directed my feet toward the Great Blinding Bridge and made a silent note to thank Y’ffre if I could still see after crossing.
A delightfully tongue-in-cheek thought by Derelas!

Follow who-da, take a right on what-da until I reach where-da?
Once more Derelas' ironic sense of humor shows itself!

Finally, a very intriguing dream by Derelas, coupled by the ending scene. Are those necromancers perhaps? Maybe a certain King of certain Worms? It takes a simple thing like a country boy going to the city, and adds in a touch of menace and mystery that leaves one wanting more. Which is another way of saying: "Story, good, more!" biggrin.gif

nits:
emblazoned in armor that seemed sucked the light in from around him
I think you lost something from a previous edit here. Perhaps you meant something like:
emblazoned in armor that seemed to suck the light in from around him

Ice cold sweat drenched my face as my head rocketed from my pillow, my breathing shallow and ragged. Feeling something in my hand, I looked down to see my steel dagger in my hand… how did it get there? Did I pull it out of my pack in my slumber?
I dropped the dagger to the floor, returning my head to the pillow. All a dream, I thought, just a dream, another dream. Calm down Derelas, it’s nothing to worry about. Old news.

I think the forum ate the space between these two paragraphs. It can do that when you copy and paste.

A balding fisherman was making his way home with his morning catch of some of the biggest Slaughterfish I’ve ever seen, many of the travelers who slept the night here were gathering their horses and pack mules to continue on to wherever it was they were going, and many others still were filing into the small stores nearby, it was a simple, yet elegant, vista of pastoral harmony.
This is an incredibly long sentence. I think you can easily break it up into several sentences. For example:
Here a balding fisherman was making his way home with his morning catch of some of the biggest Slaughterfish I’ve ever seen. There many of the travelers who slept the night here were gathering their horses and pack mules to continue on to wherever it was they were going. All the while many others were still filing into the small stores nearby. It was a simple, yet elegant, vista of pastoral harmony.

Imperial Legion Centurions.
This is a purely flavor-based comment, and feel free to completely disregard it depending on how you want to portray Cyrodiil and build you style-sheet. IRL Roman centurions were junior officers. Commanding formations starting at 80-100 men. So that is like having two modern lieutenants or captains standing guard at the gate. Regular soldiers were legionaries, or if you want to be really precise, munifex. You can find a whole list of ranks and other info here.

here it was an outright cacophony of voices, footsteps, shrieks, and hoof beats as people large and small.
I think you meant to have more at the end of the sentence?

I passed through the gates to a scene unlike I’d ever seen before. Instead of the peaceful maritime bustle of Weye, here it was an outright cacophony of voices, footsteps, shrieks, and hoof beats as people large and small. The huge crowd, from the super-rich in fine linens to the street urchins with no more than stained sack cloth, pattered every which way you could think of past whit marble buildings so tall they seemed to wall away the sky. Such a dizzying sight made me begin to wonder if I could ever find the Arcane at all, so I ducked into a shaded back street to pull out my map.
“Looking for something, citizen?” A passing legionnaire inquired.

Looks like another eaten space here.

“Looking for something, citizen?” A passing legionnaire inquired.
Once again, a purely flavor observation that you can feel free to completely ignore. Roman soldiers were called legionaries. Members of the French Foreign Legion are called legionnaires (as the word is French). The game uses legionnaire, in spite of otherwise going out of their way to pattern the Imperial Legion after the Roman legions. Many people prefer the Latin legionary over the French legionnaire, especially if they are using other Latin words like centurion or tribune. Just something to consider for your style-sheet.

perhaps ascending to touch the face of Mundus itself
A lore note here, Mundus is the planet Nirn, its moons, and the planets around them. I think perhaps you meant touch Aetherius instead?

“Derelas just arrived yesterday.”
“And now?”

The hungry forum got another of your spaces.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 23 2010, 11:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 24 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Nits are picked (and another you didn't list was fixed, as well, Latin alphabet doesn't have a U).

As for the Centurions, they aren't actually Centurions, they are OPTIOS SECVNDVA (second lieutenant), but the ranks are close enough that Dere simply mixed them up. They are there as part of the immaculate image the Empire attempts to give the outside world.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 24 2010, 12:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Dec 24 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

Ahh, so Thomas finally starts writing! Welcome!

Off for the Holidays now, but will read more later.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 24 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

You have brought the Imperial City to life in a way I never could!!! Awesome, Riveting Write !!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 24 2010, 03:17 AM
Post #6

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to the Arena! What a wonderful start! You have very gently told us that Derelas is a Bosmer, recently arrived from Valenwood. We have so many lovely leading ladies around here, that it is refreshing to have a leading character who is not a ghurrl!!! tongue.gif

And one with a mystery no less! Evil figures cloaked in black intent on destroying Nirn as we know it?

I was gliding softly through the blackness, guided only by the winking blue lights, following them through what seemed a maze of corridors and passageways.
This was wonderfully evocative.

I thoroughly enjoyed your pastoral description of life outside the IC. smile.gif

Nits? My goodness, dear SubRosa has done such a thoughtfully thorough effort already. I would certainly keep an eye on those sentences, and tend to favor short/crisp to long/meandering.

The huge crowd, from the super-rich in fine linens to the street urchins with no more than stained sack cloth, pattered every which way you could think of past whit marble buildings so tall they seemed to wall away the sky.
This one is a clear cut typo (white).

My remaining comments below are purely subjective style considerations, so please feel free to ignore them if they don't suit your intent or purpose. tongue.gif

The Suffocating darkness was broken only by the soft blue glows of unnaturally luminescent crystals.
Is there a reason you capitalized Suffocating here?

Ice cold sweat drenched my face as my head rocketed from my pillow,
Rocketed popped me right out of Tamriel due its suggestion of anachronism. Would you consider some variation of shoot or jerk?

I know this city is supposed to be the shining beacon of the Empire and all, but jeez, you think you might be taking this a bit too far?
Similarly here, only due to lore. 'Jeez' and other similar sounding expressions like 'gee whiz' are rooted in the name Jesus. If it is your intent to blend cultures and lore with a strong tongue in cheek style, that is fine. 'Jeez' makes it very clear you and your character are rooted in modern earth culture, and that may be your intent. Otherwise, you might consider 'but by Y'ffre, you think. . . .'

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 24 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

I ninja'd the typo before you finished posting. biggrin.gif

As for the style viewpoint, I have to say I agree with you on those. Thankfully, easy to fix for all of them. Just a quick vocabulary adjustment.

As for the mystery, that is one for you to ponder over Christmas, since I'm going to be off in New York for the next few days (hip hip hooray for Christmas Vacation), I will sadly be unable to write. This was mostly a teaser chapter to get the ball rolling, but don't fret, I have the long-term goals of this Fic well in hand.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 24 2010, 03:49 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 31 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

I love the way you bring the Imperial City to life, especially the light and noise. I am a fan of the name Cyrodiil City, it delighted me to hear the Centurion use it. I am hooked! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 13 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Postcards from the Imperial City (to tide over until I finally manage to finish part 2)

Click to enlarge:

Talos Plaza
IPB Image

The Palace gates
IPB Image

Arboretum Central Fountain
IPB Image

EDIT 1: Updated images with sharpened versions

Mods in use:
-Better Cities, Better Imperial City: Extra IC Architecture
-Let the People Drink: New fountains
-Oblivion Graphics Extender: Color mood and Depth of Field effect
-MTGR's Texture Pack: New, more vibrant textures

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Jan 13 2011, 11:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 13 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

Duplicate

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Jan 13 2011, 09:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 13 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

Neat pics! What mod are you using to change the city? I see extra "stuff" that is not there in vanilla.

I did notice that the pics look a little fuzzy, like they have a soft focus. Are you running the game in a lower resolution than your desktop's native resolution? That is the main culprit in such cases.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 14 2011, 02:08 AM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the beautiful screenies! Wonderfully subtle and tasteful mods you have going there. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jan 14 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

The screenies are great.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 14 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

I love that fountain !! Did "Better Cities" add that? Awesome screenies, they could actually be postcards of the IC !!! Great job on those !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 16 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

@SubRosa: The focus problem was most likely an artifact from the AA shader I was using at the time (you can't use any AA with OBGE, even forced). I've given the pics a quick run through a sharpening filter, so that should help a bit.

@Acadian: Thank you! Tastefulness is what I strive for. I'm actually running the game with flat zero body replacers right now, if you can believe me. I find it helps keep me immersed when not every girl is a supermodel, nor does it give me any pleasure to view nude-shaped pixels. I prefer to indulge in a different kind of pleasurable image, and you're looking at it. smile.gif

@Zalphon: Thank you. Say, those boots on your lich avy are awfully familiar. I think I've seen them in my game somewhere...

@mALX: The fountains are from Let The People Drink, which also adds an aqueduct leading to the IC from Charcoal Cave.

@All: Thank you very much for your kind words and sharp eyes. I think I'd better post this now so I don't go OCD on it again and rewrite it for the umpteenth time. wacko.gif

Next: Derelas arrives at the Arcane University, and meets a new friend...

Chapter 1-2: Recommended Assistance

“Welcome to the Arcane University. Are you looking to join the Mages Guild?”

“Maybe.” I replied. “How would I do so?”

“Just that way.” The ironclad battlemage pointed towards a large spire rising from the center of the courtyard, the many magical lanterns hung throughout the surrounding trees illuminating it a deep fuchsia. “The Enrollment desk will have everything you’re looking for.”

I nodded thanks and strode inside the tower.

The circular room within buzzed with activity. Many lines of people were gathered for various services, the longest of which was for “Financial.” Many more clad in green and occasionally blue robes were milling about the foyer. I made my way to the line for Enrollment, where I was eventually gestured over by a middle-aged Altmer.

“Anything I can help you with today?” It was rather amazing how fast he spoke.

“Yes, how would you go about enrolling in the University?”

“Fill out this application.” He handed me a small booklet of parchment between (sort of) syllables. The front was simple enough; mostly personal information, but one look at the second page instantly perplexed me.

“Recommendations?” I asked the Altmer behind the desk.

“Take a leaflet from the pile here.” He replied. “Anything else?”

“Umm… that’s all for now, I think.”

“Next!”

I left the desk carrying the application and leaflet titled “Recommendations: Furthering your Magical Career” and began to read on my way out of the building…

A true scholar of magic understands the need to put his education to practice. Long-winded lectures by crotchety professors can only get you so far in this world, and now the Guild of Mages offers support for up-and-coming Associates and continuing Apprentices alike to further their practical knowledge of the Arcane Arts in the form of Guild Recommendations. These are simple activities chosen by the magisters of local branch chapter houses (you may find one in every major city in Cyrodiil) designed to test vim, vigor, and dedication to the guild’s everyday work. Remember, the study of magic is not restricted to the walls of the University. It is an ever-continuing endeavor, for the arts of Magic are forever.

A Recommendation consists of a set of tasks that will be determined by whatever assistance may be rendered to the magister’s chapter on that particular day. Upon completion of whatever goals may be set by your magister, said magister will provide written proof of completion. Of course, we here at the University understand that proper incentive is quite helpful in affirming the young mind’s dedication…

*thud*

“Watch it, tree-hugger!”

“Sorry…”

I had collided with a tall and rather shady-looking Nord. His back was now fast retreating, so I gave a sigh of exasperation and decided to find somewhere to sit down to finish reading.

We here at the University understand that proper incentive is quite helpful in affirming the young mind’s dedication towards their goals, so we have outlined a number of benefits for receiving Recommendations. Do please note, however, that only one Recommendation may be applied for and/or received from any chapter.

Associates and Apprentices:

Each recommendation you attain will grant you discounted tuition to the Arcane University. If you manage to obtain five or more, you will receive full scholarship as thanks for your dedication to the Guild. We have provided special forms within your application for this purpose, but you may also choose to have your proof of completion mailed to you. Please contact Gold Horse Courier Services for more information on the latter option.

Evokers and higher:

Each recommendation you complete will grant you discounted guild services, be it spellcrafting, enchantment, or combat training. Those who complete five or more recommendations may receive a grant in the study of your choice*.

*All requests subject to approval by Arch-Mage Hannibal Traven before consideration.

Signed: Raminus Polus, University Headmaster.

As I finished reading, a huge load lifted from my mind. It might actually be possible for me to attend, and without worrying about loans and debts piling up! I slipped the brochure and the application into my pack and left the campus. It would be best if I asked about these Recommendations at the guild chapter houses, since they provide them in the first place. A quick glance at my map told me the town nearest the Imperial City was called Chorrol, located along the Black Road. My mind made up about how I was going to finance my education; and satisfied I had enough information to get on with, I began to make my way back to Wawnet.

----

I arrived back at Weye as the sun began to sink below the western mountains and the telltale orange glow of Masser peeked out from the northeast, bathing the land in their combined orange glow. I took a moment to drink in the splendor.

“Pretty neat view?”

I turned to find a Dunmer girl in leathers was standing next to me. Her ashen skin clashed vividly with raven-black hair set aflame with crimson by the evening light. It was an almost ethereal sight, that of a woman who was blazingly openhearted, yet independent and secluded. It felt as if her spirit might be in turmoil…. Ehh, not important right now, Dere; she’s talking to you right now, so you might want to talk back.

“Yeah… very orange.” I said back to her simply.

“True. A little romantic, maybe; sun setting over a manor village, smoke curling from the chimneytops…”

“…A young lady standing admiring it with a man at her side.”

The lady turned to look at me, a faint smile crossing her lips.

“Took the words right out of my mouth.” She replied, walking towards the door of the Inn. “Shall we go inside? Grab a bite?”

“Why not. Too nice an evening to spend alone.” I quipped, following her inside.

It was very cozy within the Inn’s walls with a large fire merrily crackling away behind the bar and several whole pigs sizzling over it on skewers, filling the room with the savory smell of roast pork. It was very busy tonight; the inn was packed with road-weary travelers. The female Dunmer I met outside sat down at the bar then looked back to me. I took a seat next to her at the bar, and the well-endowed publican promptly greeted us and took our food orders. We didn’t speak much until dinner arrived; even then, it was she that started conversation once again.

“Not one to talk much, are you?”

“Not really, idle chat isn’t exactly one of my strong suits.” Best to be honest with her, I thought. Living a lonely life can do that to you.

“OK, so how about I break the ice then? What brings you here to Weye? I doubt you’re here just to admire the lake.”

“I was visiting the Arcane University, up in the Imperial City.” I responded.

“Interesting, I never took you for a city boy, why go there? Country life too dull for you?”

“Well, you know, furthering of knowledge, exciting opportunities, and who knows? Maybe I’ll get to see someone magick a horse into the Arch-Mages quarters?”

“Funny enough, someone actually did that before….”

“No joke?”

“Nope, and not a happy day for horsie, either. Probably destroyed half the furniture before they finally managed to get it down.” She explained, her grin matching the laughter in her eyes. “But really, why were you there? You look pretty fresh out of the Elder Woods, I can’t imagine what you’d want in such a crowded binge as Cyrodiil City.”

“Well, since you asked nicely… I’m mostly looking to study the Ayleids.”

“And what in Y’ffre’s Great Woods would make you want that?” She asked with a barely disguised hint of disgust in her voice.

“Well, my parents held an interest in them. Sorta felt like following in their footsteps. What, is there something wrong with my interest?”

“No, nothing with you, with the Ayleids.” She replied, the note of revulsion in her eyes and voice ever present, “The beauty of their structures was only matched by the heartlessness of their culture. Thank the Gods they were conquered.”

“A little harsh, don’t you think? I mean, who deserves to be erased from existence?” I asked her, hoping that I was missing something.

“I know what I’ve seen, and they did…” She started, then her voice trailed off. “Say, where are you’re parents, anyway?” She suddenly asked, “Why are you traveling all by yourself?”

I turned away from looking at her. This was not something I wanted to talk about; it was still a little painful to think about.

“Sorry, bad question.” She quickly responded.

“Thanks.” I replied before quickly changing the subject. “Anyways, where do you hail? You hardly seem the city type yourself, miss forester.”

“Oh, so you noticed! Was I that obvious?” She giggled.

“Well, not everyone shares dinner and chatter in rawhide leathers, that’s for sure.”

“True.” She replied. “Well, I’m Cyrodiil-born, myself. I was born by Moonbind under the sign of the Shadow.”

“Moonbind?” I inquired. I never heard that term before, though I was fairly certain it had something to do with Nirn’s dual moons.

“When Secunda passes in front of Masser.” She explained. “That along with my birthsign is seen as a sign of good luck among my home village of Faregyl.”

“I don’t think I’ve heard of a place called Faregyl before…”

“Well, probably not, Faregyl’s a pretty small village. The company was a little… iffy. There’s this one guy, Alix Lencolia, he kept bringing people round and sparring with them all day long… fun to watch, but it gets really annoying listening to swords clash all day long. All things considered, though, I liked it there.”

“Given a birth like yours. You must have been quite the sneaky one.”

At this she gave a small laugh. “Plenty of the farmers back home are still wondering where some of their precious gardening tools went. I wasn’t even the only prankster there, and nowhere close to the funniest.”

“So then why’d you leave if you had so much fun there?”

She cocked her head and shrugged along with her response, “Got bored.” This reply immediately struck me as pretty flimsy, as if she were trying to hide something. Or maybe she was just being coy.

“In a village so close to your element?”

“Well, I enjoy my solitude.”

OK, now definitely trying to hide something. I quickly dropped the subject, turning away to continue eating.

“Drunken louts.” I suddenly heard her say. I turned to look at her, and she was looking back towards the dining area, where a large number of people had gathered around a table and were making a huge amount of noise.

“Really? They don’t seem too bad right now.”

“Maybe now, but in five minutes, some barfight could start or…”

*CRASH*
“REALLY!!!”

An almighty frenzy shook us out of our discussion as a table was overturned, sending several tankards and plates flying across the room. Two people had started a drunken brawl, and a Dunmer was pummeling someone I couldn’t make out with sickening force, each blow striking as hard as a smith’s hammer on an anvil. A second crash told me the door of the inn had flown open, and a Legionary, clanking loudly in his plate mail, rushed to the scene to break up the fight. He grabbed the Dunmer and nearly threw him across the room to remove him from whoever he was grinding into the stonework. The Dunmer responded by rushing the guard and slamming his fist into his chest, or rather, his armor, as communicated by the resounding *GONG!*. The guard responded with a heavily armored elbow to the face, and a loud crack signaled the Dunmer’s jaw breaking as he fell to the floor unconscious. The guard then grabbed him by the ankles and wrists, lifted him over his shoulders like a hunter would a carcass, and carried him away… to the prisons, no doubt. A second guard then arrived and hauled away the the other brawler, who had passed out after the Dunmer was taken. She was a Redguard, her gray hair heavily matted, and face heavily lined and scarred. She had the look of someone who was ready to fall apart at the seams.

My eyes met my companion’s, who had raised an eyebrow….

“You see? What did I tell you?” She said.

“Well, there goes my appetite.” I replied, pushing my plate away, with her following suit.

“We should probably get some rooms before they all disappear.” She said, waving the publican over and handing her some gold. She then turned to me with raised eyebrows.

“Mine’s already paid.” I quickly answered. “Well, it was nice talking.” I told her as I got up to head back to my room.

“Yeah, it was.” She replied. “And who knows, maybe I’ll see you again?”

“Maybe you me, but I’d probably struggle with that, given your birthrights and whatnot.”

“Then I’ll be sure to announce my presence with trumpets and drums.” She joked back, grinning.

“Thanks…” Came my bashful reply.

“By the way, I never did get a name.”

“Oh, it’s Derelas.” I told her.

“Fathrian Dresdan, but you can just call me Faith. Good night.” She turned to leave, but then turned back.

“Hey, I thought you said you weren’t very good at talking?”

“Sometimes I surprise myself.” I said simply, prompting a chuckle from Faith.

“Well, good night.” She finished, turning away and making her way upstairs.

“Night.” I called back, rising from the bar to retreat to my own room.

----

Screenshots (Click to enlarge)

Panoramic view over the Rumare Basin:
IPB Image

Sunset over Weye:
IPB Image

Mods in use: Please don't ask laugh.gif

EDIT: Well, because there seems to be an interest in the new Weye, the mod is AFK_Weye by Dwip.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Jan 17 2011, 01:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 16 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

The scene as students are signing up for classes at the Arcane was AWESOME !!!! You brought realism and life into the Arcane - HUGE!!!!

Your ability to set the mood of the story through dialogue is proven in this chapter. Details and descriptions are perfect !!! I love the idea of Weye being a village, it makes sense that small townships around the largest city would be more than 2 building size - I love it ... but won't ask...

Gee, I wonder who the Faregyl prankster was? Or the one that placed the horse in Arch Mage Traven's quarters? ROFL !!! I loved that !!!! (infamy = +2, ROFL)

Awesome chapter, you keep intriguing with this story, and your ability to take "Postcard Quality" screenshots may even surpass Victoria !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 16 2011, 08:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 16 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

the longest of which was for “Financial.”
Yep, that is higher education!

I like your version of the guild recommendations, with them being an optional way of making tuition cheaper, rather than a requirement for every person who wanted to enter the Arcane U. The latter idea has always seemed silly to me.

Ehh, not important right now, Dere; she’s talking to you right now, so you might want to talk back.
“Yeah… very orange.” I said back to her simply.

This was a wonderful little piece!

The lady turned to look at me, a faint smile crossing her lips.
For a moment I thought Teresa had entered the DF. Then I remembered that she was a Dunmer! laugh.gif

I wasn’t even the only prankster there, and nowhere close to the funniest.
Hmmm, now I wonder who that other prankster might have been? wink.gif

a female Redguard with blinding white hair
Sounds like someone was dissing the legion! wink.gif

I know that Weye mod! I cannot recall the name, but I saw how it turns Weye into an actual village, instead of one house and an inn. Very cool!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 17 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

To all who previously read:

After a bit of collusion with Haute Ecole Rider, the fight scene has been edited. I'd suggest re-reading it, as several details are now different.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 17 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Jan 16 2011, 07:04 PM) *

To all who previously read:

After a bit of collusion with Haute Ecole Rider, the fight scene has been edited. I'd suggest re-reading it, as several details are now different.

Julian as a loutish drunk in the bar !!! Woo Hoo !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 17 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

Don't worry about posting slowly if that is what it takes. I'm just so glad to see you continuing this! biggrin.gif

Yes, referencing characters from other fanfics can be great fun, but does indeed take careful coordination with the other writer. tongue.gif

I very much liked how you depicted the bustle of enrolling at the University. Likewise, I think your treatment of recommendations was excellent and well-reasoned. bluewizardsmile.gif A nice touch to have Derelas walking along reading and bump into someone - what a clever way to break up the reading!

As I was approaching the end of this episode, I started thinking. C'mon, dummy - get her name! Within a couple paragraphs you fixed me right up! goodjob.gif

Faith sounds fun and their dinner provided some rich background to the world in which your story takes place. I hope Derelas sees her again.

Hmm, seems like perhaps a trip to Chorrol. Maybe some guild recommendations. Or possibly Derelas will be drawn off course?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:16 AM