3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mod Detectives
Acadian
post Sep 24 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

The purpose of this thread is to help folks find Skyrim mods. Inquiries can fit into several categories, such as:

-An idea that you think would be good for a mod – is there such mod already out there?

- A known mod that you are considering – anyone here at chorrol used it and had good/bad luck with it?

- Trying to pick from among several mods that do sort of the same thing. Which one is best – or at least what are some experience-based considerations. smile.gif

Naturally, I currently have something in mind, so here goes:

I very much miss my ‘Innocent’ voice set that Buffy uses in Oblivion. It used triggers and comments inspired by the Baldur’s Gate series. I recall that SubRosa used the same mod only with differing voice sets such as Imoen or Viconia. Anyway, I’m looking for something similar for Skyrim. I know that battle taunts are part of it and that's okay, but I’m actually more interested in non-fighting comments. I seem to recall Grits mentioning using Player Voicesets. The support and level of endorsement for the mod on Nexus seem good. Before I try it, any comments on this mod or ideas for one that might suit my purposes better?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I do not think I have ever heard of it. But I would love to hear how it works if you try it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 24 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

This is a great idea for a thread! smile.gif

I still use the player voice mod Acadian linked for Marius and Zanimal, and I still like it. I seem to recall most of the comments are battle oriented. The only complaints I have is that sometimes I hear a treasure comment when I’m getting something good out of storage at home or out of a saddlebag rather than looting out of a chest, and occasionally a taunt gets fired off before I actually see the enemy.

I plan to use it for Darnand and Lildereth this winter since their voices are included. Acadian, the Female Young Eager voice (like Jordis and Ysolda) might be nice for Buffy. I’ll try it out on Sofe just to check if there’s anything weird since I have that mod installed in her game already. It’s very easy to switch voice types or disable the mod entirely through the Mod Configuration Menu. Right now Sofe is using Serana’s voice. That set does a LOT of combat grunting. blink.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Sep 24 2014, 11:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 25 2014, 02:38 AM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

OK, I ran Sofie through some adventures tonight. As I thought there aren’t many voice events other than combat for this mod. Entering a town, casting a spell, going into sneak mode, general chatter and such are not voiced.

I looked around a little and it seemed that nanahane’s Additional Player Voices for Skyrim has more voice events, and people have made their own voice sets to use with this mod. So maybe replace the wav files with Buffy’s voice from Oblivion? The drawback for me is that as far as I could tell you can only use one voice at a time with nanahane’s mod. Not a problem for Buffy of course, but you can imagine the arguing in Jerric’s world. tongue.gif I’m interested to hear if anyone has tried this one or used it to make a voice set of their own.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 25 2014, 02:42 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

Well if you did go the route of replacing the sound files with other ones (like from Baldur's Gate), you could just make multiple versions of the mod, one for each voice. Then enable whichever one is appropriate everytime you start the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 25 2014, 02:47 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

*smacks forehead* That’s a great idea! Or just use different profiles. Thank you, SubRosa! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 25 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #7

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks so much to both of you! This morning I installed PlayerVoicesets and it is working fine. Sure enough, young/eager is the best option for Buffy (Grits, you know her well).

Tinkering with the additional voices mod to swap out wav files is beyond my comfort level, so I'll stick with the simple mod for now.

I would be interested to see if either of you have good luck doing that though.

Thanks again! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 27 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

I love this idea for the thread, Acadian! I've had a few thoughts throughout the course of gameplay but haven't thought to write/tap them down. Of course now I can't think of any of them!

But I will keep this thread in mind and come back when I want to find/locate something.

Oh, and update: Alise and Company are now relaxing in Falskaar after completing the mod's main quest. I have to say that that was the most rewarding quest/new land mod I've ever played, between Skyrim and OB. The MQ isn't so much fetch-and-carry and save-the-world-by-yourself-while-everyone-else-sits-on-their-arses as it is more a collaborative effort between the PC and some of the key NPCs in the mod. Not to spoil anything but I really enjoyed the MQ here as Alise and Co. got to interact more with the NPCs on a collaborative scale. Now that that's done, Alise and Co. are mopping up a few side quests in this beautiful land that reminds me so much of upland Colorado/Wyoming with the aspens and the bears and the elk.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 27 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

Rider - Thank you! I went to Nexus and looked at that Falskaar mod. It looks wonderful! I quite like the idea of adding whole new world spaces to explore. I've added it to my tracking list to come back to later.

As an illusionist, Buffy quite misses her 'command' spells from Oblivion. In fact, she'd happily dump all the frenzy, calm, fear and invisibility effects just to have a command spell. In Dragonborne you can make 'command' spiders that you toss at your foe to accomplish this so I know the effect is in the game somewhere. The Bosmer racial perk power and spriggan abilities are further evidence that the game can certainly deal with 'command' as a magical effect. No luck searching for a simple mod that provides such a spell at Nexus though. Not really looking for a magic overhaul at all, just a mod that pretty much just adds command spells. If anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 27 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m glad Buffy’s now able to speak her mind! smile.gif

Rider, it’s good to hear that about Falskaar. I have it installed in Sofie’s game and she’s already made a plan to explore what I know will lead her there. She just has to fulfill her promise to Ma first.

I’m also interested in a set of Command spells, Acadian. I don’t know of a mod, but I poked around a little in the CK to see what’s already there. It’s way over my head of course, but that’s where I’m used to starting. tongue.gif I’m thinking of a targeted spell like the Oblivion spells, not the area effect that (I think) the existing Shouts and Bosmer power use. It would be great if someone found a mod already made!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 11 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I tried Player Voicesets, and didn't much like the options. So that quickly got deinstalled. I am currently working on Additional Player Voices. I created three voice sets for it: Viconia, Imoen, and a Sassy voice for BG2. Now I am going to try them out to see how it actually works.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 12 2014, 12:08 AM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm with you, SubRosa. After a time of using Player Voicesets, I deactivated it. If you ever do sort out how to get something closer to what we used in OB, let me know.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 12 2014, 12:17 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

My short trial run found that when they voices play, they are much quieter than they sound when you play them back outside the game. So you need to amplify the volume on all of them. I am going to try doing that with the three voices I made. But first I am going to eat something, and watch Ragnar and Lagertha kill people.

However, quiet voices aside, it is nice to hear good old Viconia and Imoen once more. Good on me if I saved the day!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 12 2014, 12:27 AM
Post #14

Paladin
Group Icon

As you know, I'm used to 'Innocent' as the speaking voice for Buffy, but Imoen could certainly work in a pinch. The real beauty of the OB mod was that it used BG cues to make the voices go (instead of *ugh* taunts). Buffy is way too skittish to taunt anyone while fighting, but I sure did enjoy her OB comments on the weather, pretty stars and night, successfully unlocking things, entering sneak, entering a town. . . .

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 12 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

It is actually very easy to create new sound sets with this. All you need are the original sound files. Since it uses .wav files, which is the most basic sound file type, that makes it even easier. There are over a dozen different sound events, and each has a different folder that is clearly named. Such as Bowshowt, which plays when you fire a bow, and so on. Each folder can have 10 sound files in it, and again, they are simply named - bow1, bow2, etc...

So you just take your original files, copy the ones you want to the sound event folders you want, and rename them. I discovered that if you only have 1 sound file, it will only play one time in 10 when that event happens. So if you want to hear a sound played every time you fire a bow, you have to make 10 copies of the file, and number them bow1 - bow10. If you only want to hear it half the time, make 5 copies, and so on. This is actually rather nice, since it lets you control the frequency that you hear something.

I amplified Viconia and Imoen, and am back to do more testing. So far so good.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 12 2014, 03:31 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 11 2014, 09:23 PM) *

It is actually very easy to create new sound sets with this. All you need are the original sound files. Since it uses .wav files, which is the most basic sound file type, that makes it even easier. There are over a dozen different sound events, and each has a different folder that is clearly named. Such as Bowshowt, which plays when you fire a bow, and so on. Each folder can have 10 sound files in it, and again, they are simply named - bow1, bow2, etc...

So you just take your original files, copy the ones you want to the sound event folders you want, and rename them. I discovered that if you only have 1 sound file, it will only play one time in 10 when that event happens. So if you want to hear a sound played every time you fire a bow, you have to make 10 copies of the file, and number them bow1 - bow10. If you only want to hear it half the time, make 5 copies, and so on. This is actually rather nice, since it lets you control the frequency that you hear something.

I amplified Viconia and Imoen, and am back to do more testing. So far so good.

Does it use the same Wav files that Oblivion used for FX - (like Mono/16000/etc)?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 12 2014, 04:43 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Yes, because I took some of the Imoen .wav files from BruceVayne's Oblivion Soundset mods and used them for this mod as well.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 12 2014, 04:43 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 12 2014, 05:57 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 11 2014, 11:43 PM) *

Yes, because I took some of the Imoen .wav files from BruceVayne's Oblivion Soundset mods and used them for this mod as well.

I take it this is a "play sound," - no lip files? (because I noticed the voice files in Skyrim are .fuz.

I had considered using some vanilla voice files or from some mod, but can't play/hear them to choose any. Grrr.

I still have some of BruceVaynes voice files, I'll dig around and come up with something.

@ Acadian - Go to:

C:
Program Files
Bethesda
Oblivion
Data
Sound
FX

Find the Sound Set for Innocent and copy that whole folder. Paste it onto your desktop. All those sound files are WAV format, in Innocent's voice. There should be a copy there of ALL her sayings. plug those into that mod SR is talking about - that will work perfectly with those innocent files.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 12 2014, 06:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 12 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

Has no one played with Sofia yet?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 12 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

Are you talking Sofia the spellsword fully voiced follower? If so, yes. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:49 AM