+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 03:09 AM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jun 3 2015, 10:06 PM) *

Umm, what story was that?

Did you write more than one Sci-Fi? (You only showed me one).

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 4 2015, 05:40 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

I've written several genres - Western, historical, fantasy, sci-fi, and contemporary, among others. My first NaNoWriMo effort was a personal riff on the typical Korean contemporary melodrama.

Are you speaking of the one with the twins? If so, I really don't consider that sci-fi, or even post-apocalyptic, so much as future history, if that makes sense? In that one I was building a world that could develop out of the political realities of the mid-1990s. Of course, if I were to write that story today, it would be a vastly different geopolitical reality.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 4 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #24

Spam Meister
Group Icon

*ignores entire thread to avoid hype*

I only wanna know one thing; Steam????? panic.gif panic.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 4 2015, 10:41 AM) *

I don't know, nothing has been said yet - but I'd almost bet that it will be through Steam, because they are hand in pocket with them on everything now. Steam has a long term contract with them that is extremely beneficial to Bethesda.

You can barely get the patches and CS for Oblivion on the official site anymore; and several of the used game stores in our town have closed because (according to them) they can't compete with Valve-Steam, it is cornering the market on games - everything is going this way now; soon we won't be able to buy a hard copy of a game.

I don't like it either, but can't give up gaming the Fallout games in protest.

I hate it, and feel like they have us by the delicate parts; because once everything and all your money is tied up in Steam games, all they have to do is start charging monthly fees for us to play our own games and we will be stuck - no way to play our games without them.

Sucks; I really don't like feeling like I don't really own a game I paid for.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 4 2015, 04:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 4 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #26

Spam Meister
Group Icon

All this sounds like what a dictator would do; cornering and getting rid of anything that isn´t what they decided should be.

I´m boycotting any game that forces me to use Steam or any equivalent, including Fallout and TES games. I stick with Oblivion and Fallout 3 and I´m happy happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 4 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #27

Mouth
Group Icon

so here's an interesting thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMfiq4U4gA

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 4 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

Very neat breakdown of the trailer. Like mALX, I don't know Boston, so I didn't recognize any of the landmarks. Except for the Constitution, which I gathered had to be that old sailing ship with the jet engines.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 4 2015, 03:37 PM) *

so here's an interesting thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMfiq4U4gA

Oh, now I get what you meant by the voiced protagonist! The significance of that didn't hit me! (DOH!) Awesome!

And I didn't see the perk chart on the wall either, laugh.gif

Awesome find, Hazmick!

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 4 2015, 09:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 5 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

I wonder if it will include Smoots?

If it is on the One Box to Rule Them All ™, I will be giving it a miss. At least until I decide to trade all my 360 games that I still play in for PS4 versions...

Dangit.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2015, 01:42 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 4 2015, 07:55 PM) *

I wonder if it will include Smoots?

If it is on the One Box to Rule Them All ™, I will be giving it a miss. At least until I decide to trade all my 360 games that I still play in for PS4 versions...

Dangit.

That is the same decision my son has been trying to make since I broke his XBox = get another XBox that won't be supported but will play all the games he has; or buy the One and have a supported unit but no games to play on it/having to replace all his games.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 5 2015, 01:43 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 5 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #32

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 4 2015, 04:41 PM) *

Almost certainly.

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 4 2015, 05:18 PM) *

I don't know, nothing has been said yet - but I'd almost bet that it will be through Steam, because they are hand in pocket with them on everything now. Steam has a long term contract with them that is extremely beneficial to Bethesda.

You can barely get the patches and CS for Oblivion on the official site anymore; and several of the used game stores in our town have closed because (according to them) they can't compete with Valve-Steam, it is cornering the market on games - everything is going this way now; soon we won't be able to buy a hard copy of a game.

I don't like it either, but can't give up gaming the Fallout games in protest.

I hate it, and feel like they have us by the delicate parts; because once everything and all your money is tied up in Steam games, all they have to do is start charging monthly fees for us to play our own games and we will be stuck - no way to play our games without them.

Sucks; I really don't like feeling like I don't really own a game I paid for.

To be honest, I love steam. I find it very handy to have all of my games (or at least 99% of them because Blizzard doesn't do steam and because I also use GOG) in one single place. No need to worry about cd's or DVD's breaking anymore and needing to pay the entire amount again to purchase a new cd/dvd. No need to worry about being limited to a single pc to run my game on, no hassle when I get a new laptop/pc. All I need to do is make sure I never lose my access codes for Steam and I'm all set.

The only reason I sometimes feel a bout of nostalgia towards hard copies of games, is thinking back to the time when developers used to make large and intricate manuals and other stuff and shipped that with their games. But since that time seems to be past with the exception of a few special editions where you pay double for such items, I've embraced the digital era of Steam.

I've read your point about starting to charge monthly fees. Call me overly optimistic, or naive if you'd prefer that term ;-) but I don't think that will be the future. I think Valve is making tons of money as it is on steam, especially because so many people are using it. So I think they simply don't have/feel a need to change things up. Doing that would make it less interesting and would invite the start of a lot more competition, so why risk that when it's already a money making machine for them?

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Alex! It is so good to see you here! Do you still enjoy writing? And have you produced any more masterpieces like "Cyrodiil?" I hope so, what a gift you have!

Convenience - Yes; I have Steam and my games loaded on both my PC and laptop so I can take them with me too; and it is convenient not to have an additional bundle of games to carry.

Passwords/access codes - I had just changed mine 5 days ago, and yesterday tried to log in - it is not taking either my old password or my new one, so I am in a panic till that is straightened out.

Maybe I am just a worrier, but it is a concern to me that one day they will start to charge - even a small nominal fee.

Without the disk in my possession it feels like my ownership of the game hangs by a thread Steam is controlling - (and my internet provider as well). In the past if my internet went down I could still play my PC games; but with Steam I lose the ability to play if I lose the internet.

A similar situation came up with my XBox 360; and ever since then I've been a bit skittish about someone else having access to controlling my games. What happened then: XBox refused to let me play any of my games if I didn't accept one of their updates.

That was a real light bulb moment for me. Right after I accepted the update and had everything running smoothly; I unplugged the internet from my XBox 360. (never had to worry about that happening again, and my games worked perfectly till my 360 died from RROD).

On Steam I have tried to do the same thing by putting it in offline mod; but every start-up it searches for Steam to be connected.

I really hope the day never comes when Valve-Steam starts charging; really hope I am worried for nothing on that. They are definitely a massive conglomeration and don't need it; but in the past year I have seen a few decisions of theirs which were not based on morals or ethics, where money was their bottom line and they pushed every qualm aside to achieve it. That is the basis for my lack of trust in them.

Truthfully; when Gabe Newell backed off on the paid mods issue, I was shocked in a good way - (though I think pressure from Bethesda was most likely behind his decision). Honestly, I never expected him to back down when money was involved, and was pleased to find myself wrong.

It was so good to see you on the boards again, Alex!

Oh, and I have been wondering if you (and Starge) will be going to E3 this year? Will you bring us back some pictures of your visit there if you do?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 5 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

I am an old school gamer, and confess to loving having my games on disc. I loved in the old days when I could walk into a computer store and there would be aisle after aisle of computer games. It was one way I kept up on what games were out. Now you are lucky if there is even one little shelf of games in a store, and I barely know what games are out, or even exist.

But I do like the convenience of online shopping. Not to mention not needing to put the disc in the drive whenever I play a game. Gog.com is wonderful. I have bought more than a dozen games from them in the last year alone. All DRM-free, that I can play anytime, anywhere, without an internet connection (after I have downloaded the setup files of course).

Steam I do not like so much. The reason is the DRM that Steam forces on everyone that uses their games, and how you must have their client running whenever you play, even offline. It is insulting, as they are basically saying that they believe all of their paying customers are criminals who are going to steal their games at the first opportunity. Not to mention DRM schemes do nothing to dissuade piracy. You could have downloaded a pirated, non-Steam version of Skyrim the very first day it came out. Add in that DRM schemes often prevent paying customers from playing the games they legally bought, and they are just bad for everyone. They are even bad for the companies that use them, because they had to pay for it, and it literally does nothing.

But DRM aside, and even the possibility of greedy online storefronts like Steam charging us a monthly subscription to play the games we already bought, there is also the danger of hackers. A hacker attack taking down a site the size of Steam seems unlikely. Until you consider that such an attack did the very same thing to Sony last year, and now we are reading the private emails of their executives. TBH, given how many hackers are also gamers, it is kind of surprising that Steam has made it this long without a major incident. Or maybe that is why half the time when I try to install a Steam game I get the error message "Steam Service is not available, try again later".

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 5 2015, 06:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 5 2015, 01:08 PM) *

I am an old school gamer, and confess to loving having my games on disc. I loved in the old days when I could walk into a computer store and there would be aisle after aisle of computer games. It was one way I kept up on what games were out. Now you are lucky if there is even one little shelf of games in a store, and I barely know what games are out, or even exist.

But I do like the convenience of online shopping. Not to mention not needing to put the disc in the drive whenever I play a game. Gog.com is wonderful. I have bought more than a dozen games from them in the last year alone. All DRM-free, that I can play anytime, anywhere, without an internet connection (after I have downloaded the setup files of course).

Steam I do not like so much. The reason is the DRM that Steam forces on everyone that uses their games, and how you must have their client running whenever you play, even offline. It is insulting, as they are basically saying that they believe all of their paying customers are criminals who are going to steal their games at the first opportunity. Not to mention DRM schemes do nothing to dissuade piracy. You could have downloaded a pirated, non-Steam version of Skyrim the very first day it came out. Add in that DRM schemes often prevent paying customers from playing the games they legally bought, and they are just bad for everyone. They are even bad for the companies that use them, because they had to pay for it, and it literally does nothing.

But DRM aside, and even the possibility of greedy online storefronts like Steam charging us a monthly subscription to play the games we already bought, there is also the danger of hackers. A hacker attack taking down a site the size of Steam seems unlikely. Until you consider that such an attack did the very same thing to Sony last year, and now we are reading the private emails of their executives. TBH, given how many hackers are also gamers, it is kind of surprising that Steam has made it this long without a major incident. Or maybe that is why half the time when I try to install a Steam game I get the error message "Steam Service is not available, try again later".

The IRS is getting hacked annually, and who should be more secure than them? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jun 15 2015, 08:02 AM
Post #36

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Can't believe this hasn't been updated. There's about 15-20 minutes of gameplay online now from E3 and a list of awesome gameplay features.

Confirmed features:

50 base weapons with 700 modifications

The ability to craft a variety of items and even buildings

Largest world that Bethsoft has ever built (according to Todd, this probably excludes ESO)

Retro style games that play on the pip boy in FO4

Spoken character dialogue (Doesn't look bad at all, surprisingly) that can be walked in and out of.

Layered armor with various modifications/customization options for pieces like chest, arms, legs.

Collectors edition comes with pip boy that accepts Iphones/Androids as the screen and a pip boy app for phones.

The dog can receive commands like attack, retreive, and stay with a simple system.

You ride in a vertibird at least once and can shoot them down as they fly by.

The game starts pre-war and flashes forward 200 years when you awaken in the vault. No spoilers yet, I'm betting cryosleep similar to FO3.

Other noteable things I noticed in the videos:

Character animations are much more fluid than any prior Bethsoft game.

Lots of variations in weapon types and firing modes like semi automatic, fully automatic, bolt action, and break over.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 15 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #37

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Also I might bet, Steam kvleft.gif

Nice list though. Lots of cool stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 15 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZuDK_QU_w - Gameplay trailer. Contains strong language and violence.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 15 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

I forgot about this thread - moving my posts from the Everything to here:

Elder Scrolls Legends = a strategy card game

Fallout Shelter = FREE APP on your IPhone to play!

Fallout 4 Release Date moved up to November 10, 2015 !!!!

Collector's Edition comes with a working Pip Boy !!!!

On the spot in game modding as per Ghastley and Arthmoor's mods - no mention was made of the Geck, which really worries me, but i have no "Twitch" account to ask them about it.

They are giving away figurines to anyone who texts them with questions that get answered on the show, so hurry and ask about the Geck !!!!!!! laugh.gif

They have voiced over a thousand names and have a child whose appearance is based on your character and your spouses character.

So then they say you are the only one who survives the vault? I don't think so, why go to all that trouble for a baby who looks like your character and has its name voiced and then kill it off in the beginning of the game?

Bethesda does not kill off children. I think there has to be some reason they spent so many resources on a baby and were so careful to mention that it is created to look like you and your spouse - there was no "IF you want a baby," it was a given you would have one. So it has to be a part of the storyline.

I think the storyline will involve you leaving your Cryochamber to find your child. (like maybe you wake up after 200 years and discover all the other remains in the vault, but no remains for your child and evidence the Enclave has taken the baby)

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 15 2015, 03:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 15 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

From what Todd said, the settlement building will be allowed only in certain areas and are prefabricated pieces you set up in preset locations - just like is done in Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC.

Also, in the interview afterwards Todd Howard let it slip that crafting these (Hearthstyle type) houses and settlements and the ability to modify the guns and armor will be accessed via perks (or a new perk tree); so if there is a ceiling on Levels it could mean giving up some of your favorite perks to gain access to the new crafting skills.

The two things that were NOT mentioned that I wondered about:

1. Will there be a Geck?

2. Will there be a low ceiling on levels like Fallout 3 had?

Anyone with an IPhone should be able to download the free App "Fallout Shelter" and play it on their phone right now; that was released last night.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 15 2015, 03:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:47 AM