2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phew, We're back.
stargelman
post Jun 26 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Senor Snore
Group Icon

In case you wondered why chorrol was down, both harddrives in the server had died. It was lucky I could get back anything at all, not to mention this quickly.

My thanks go to the support of our webhoster who worked miracles, and to my girlfriend who had to suffer through agonizing hours of me cursing my lungs out.

Oh well. More and better backups next time, I guess.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 26 2016, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh gosh, thank you so much stargelman! You are indeed our hero! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 26 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Yay! Chorrol has risen from the dead! I thought the server went on a weekend bender in Tijuana! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 27 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #4

Senor Snore
Group Icon

More like a visit to the ER with a very narrow escape.

The fun part was how I tried to tell someone and wanted to register anew on the official forums to send a message to someone, and it didn't work because their server is kaputt too biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 27 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks for working hard to bring it back, stargelman. happy.gif

A world without Chorrol would be much diminished.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 27 2016, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Yikes, that sounds like a close call! I was imagining that the server slipped away for a spa weekend. Thank you for getting us back so quickly. cake.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 27 2016, 12:51 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!

Okay- now that I have that out of the way.... where can I send something appropriate Stargelman? I have some extra kitties... no, probably not.... And they aren't really extra, plus it's likely they would cause trauma to George the Server Hamster... which he obviously does NOT need...

To stop being silly for just a brief moment- I appreciate all your hard work and your continuing to host this very important corner of the 'Net.

Only my fellow Chorrolites can understand the severe withdrawal and anxiety I experienced.

Now I can go back to my normal, crazed and stressed-out state. Bless you, my friend.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2016, 01:05 AM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 26 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!

Okay- now that I have that out of the way.... where can I send something appropriate Stargelman? I have some extra kitties... no, probably not.... And they aren't really extra, plus it's likely they would cause trauma to George the Server Hamster... which he obviously does NOT need...

To stop being silly for just a brief moment- I appreciate all your hard work and your continuing to host this very important corner of the 'Net.

Only my fellow Chorrolites can understand the severe withdrawal and anxiety I experienced.

Now I can go back to my normal, crazed and stressed-out state. Bless you, my friend.

DITTO! What he said! Thank you so very much, Starge! *takes deep breath* ... Thank you! Hug_emoticon.gif wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 27 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm seeing some unusual stuff on my display. Some posts made before we went down are displaying lots of little question marks inside little black diamonds instead of apostrophe's dashes and sometimes even between sentences. I've tried viewing things on both Firefox and Internet Explorer and see the same thing.

Here is a representative snip from hazmick's latest episode of his fanfic story. Is anyone else seeing the question mark symbols?

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 25 2016, 07:45 AM) *

�I didn�t expect to see you down here in the early morning madness.� A cheery voice called out from behind me. I knew it was Ailinwe even before I turned around to greet her.

�Just stretching my legs, looking for something to eat.� I could barely hear myself over the din, but Altmer�s ears are obviously not just for show.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 27 2016, 01:12 AM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, I’ve been trying to put it into words. I’m away a lot but check in often. It’s a great comfort to know that Chorrol is here, and to see that folks I care about have stopped by. I kept telling myself that the Great Oak was not gone, it was just dark out and I couldn’t see it right now. wub.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 26 2016, 08:07 PM) *

I'm seeing some unusual stuff on my display. Some posts made before we went down are displaying lots of little question marks inside little black diamonds instead of apostrophe's dashes and sometimes even between sentences. I've tried viewing things on both Firefox and Internet Explorer and see the same thing.

Here is a representative snip from hazmick's latest episode of his fanfic story. Is anyone else seeing the question mark symbols?

�I didn�t expect to see you down here in the early morning madness.� A cheery voice called out from behind me. I knew it was Ailinwe even before I turned around to greet her.

�Just stretching my legs, looking for something to eat.� I could barely hear myself over the din, but Altmer�s ears are obviously not just for show.

Yep, I'm seeing that too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 27 2016, 01:23 AM
Post #11

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Well the database got zorked and needed repairs. It's quite possible that the last few entries weren't written to disk properly, hardly surprising the disk itself was causing about a gazillion IO error messages laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 27 2016, 01:31 AM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

I get that too (with Firefox). If you change your Character Encoding from Unicode to Western, the gobbledy-gook symbols will all vanish. In Firefox go to your Menu Bar -> View -> Character Encoding -> Western.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Jun 27 2016, 01:34 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

All bow down to Starge who shows us yet again that the The Force is strong with him.

Thanks Starge...I was beginning to worry as the day dragged one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jun 27 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

I thought the FBI had closed down the website or some crazy hacker got through. Wow!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2016, 01:47 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 26 2016, 08:31 PM) *

I get that too (with Firefox). If you change your Character Encoding from Unicode to Western, the gobbledy-gook symbols will all vanish. In Firefox go to your Menu Bar -> View -> Character Encoding -> Western.

Do you have any hints for Chrome?

This is for you, Starge!

IPB Image

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 27 2016, 01:48 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 27 2016, 01:50 AM
Post #16

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 26 2016, 05:31 PM) *

Thank you. That worked and fixed the page I was viewing. I navigated away from the page, came back and the problem returned. I figured out that is because as soon as I navigate away from the page, Firefox bumps the setting from Western right back to Unicode. Do you know a way to make it stay on Western after I change it instead of returning to Unicode?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2016, 01:58 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Okay, on Google Chrome:

Click on tools button (right corner of menu bar); click on "More Tools;" "Encoding;" "Western."

It works !!!! WOO HOO!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jun 27 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Damn, was I worried when this place disappeared. So glad to see it back.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Jun 27 2016, 07:40 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jun 27 2016, 08:23 AM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Whew
Pew pew pew

We're back in business boys

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 27 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

And here I thought it was my puter! tongue.gif

Thanks a million for getting us back up again, and this fast! I can bear losing Bethsoft but not chorrol. Again, thanks a million!! smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:14 AM