Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pirate books., Yo ho ho and really bad eggs.
Aventhorn
post Oct 1 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Retainer

This is an update to the pirate story. I have reworded some of it and added new parts from memory (from whats left of it).

The life of pirates has often been glamorized in tales usually by bored landlubbers as a romantic voyage of exploration and adventure, however this was not always the case.

Sea life could often be boring and dangerous. Decent food was often hard to come by and was mainly what sea life they could find although on occasions some poultry was on board for meat and fresh eggs. Pirates ate a type of long lasting biscuit called tack and they also were provided with limes for vitamin c.

There was very little excitement at sea with long weeks with nothing to do infighting was common which had to be dealt with by the captain by respect or fear, though he was not immune and the ship was run democratically and often if a captains reputation was beginning to disintegrate through bad leadership decisions or low morale through bad conditions a mutiny would occur and a new captain would be chosen.

When pirates docked from long voyages on sea they would often want to unwind and from a successful journey they would often waste their earnings in the local taverns drinking rum and gambling.

Women were another form of enjoyment with money being spent on ladies of the night but not all the money was wasted as pirates would have to restock and resupply the ship with food, water and other supplies.

The necessity for repairs was also another reason for money to be saved and often meant scraping barnacles gained to the hull of the ship through time.

Mistakes in looting the wrong ships could result in mutiny as one of the prime reasons for looting in the first place was wealth and such wealth as septims, jewelery, clothing, tools and ship parts.

Medical supplies were another essential and valuable piece of loot as pirates would often come under painful afflictions during their journey and looting had their own risks of injury but that was not the only form of medical emergency as when spending time with women on land they would pick up other afflictions and sometimes pirates could be content with medical treatment.

A punishment for a rebellious pirate was often to have him placed on an island on his own with a pouch of water, a shot of gunpowder and of course a gun.

Pirate flags were not just skull and crossbones in design but there was often a range of designs of flags but usually had a theme of death.

Pirates believe it or not rarely had cannons unless looted from a ship preferring to use hand weapons, and pistols. Other pirate weapons included a thin bladed sword with a basket called a cutlass, a marlinespike which could be made of wood, bone or steel and was often used as a tool but could always be used as a weapon.

More weapons included boarding axes but the boarding axes were used as defensive tools as well cutting at ropes or wood. A small throwing knife called a dirk and daggers which could be used for eating purposes as well were common.

Punishments for piracy was usually jail and then hanging with their corpses being displayed on public as a warning for other pirates although some pirates were given pardons if they renounced their piracy to the king and gave information regarding other pirates though a word of a pirate was not always to be trusted as the pirates would often fall back into old habits out of boredom or poverty as most pirates ended up as street beggars making money by offering long tales of their voyages at sea.

I was thinking of something that could maybe posted on the elder scrolls forums for a book. For a challenge maybe that we could do a book of funny pirate songs and people could make up their own songs maybe 10 lines long and we could put the best ones in a book. Obviously these songs would not be too offensive lest we risk a ban on the boards ^-^. Anyway its up there as an idea, thoughts please.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
argonian master
post Oct 1 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Retainer

heres a pirate song

avast ye pirates put down yer rum
unsheath your sword and load up your gun
we sail to riches, riches galore
and all we do is jump aboard
we'll shoot up their captain and slaughter his crew
and theres nothin they can do
when we get off rich as can be
we'll send yer ship to the bottom of the sea

This post has been edited by argonian master: Oct 1 2006, 05:50 PM
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Oct 1 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Retainer

good one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
argonian master
post Oct 1 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #4

Retainer

i got another

Wenches we need wenches we got
they know just the right spot
to do what they do do what they need
so they can pay for tomorrows feed
but when its all over when its all done
you'll need some more money to keep up the fun
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Oct 2 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #5

Evoker

A book full of pirate songs would be good. It wouldn't be hard to add, we'll have to get some more ideas from people.

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Come join the discussion! -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Oct 2 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #6

Retainer

I'll post a thread specifically for pirate songs on the official ES forums. smile.gif

I started a thread on the official boards just in case it dissapears off the page very quickly here is the link.

Pirate Songs

The one by GuarTrainer is good. The others I'm not so sure about but I'm no writer so I cant say anything. If any of them catch your eye please say so or if you come up with any of your own I'm compiling a wordpad document of the best ones.

These are my favourites so far:
The Death Of Me by GuarTrainer

Spent many a day and a coin on me grog
With the wind at me' mainsail, a salted sea-dog!
But I got me a wife now, no more life out at sea
Tis the love of the land is the death of me!

So it's yo ho for me harties, where ever they may be,
I'm scuttled in port by my sweet-heart and a brat on me knee!
So it's heave-to, you pirate! Rove the endless sea,

As rich as can be by Argonian Master

This post has been edited by Aventhorn: Oct 2 2006, 03:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
argonian master
post Oct 2 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Retainer

QUOTE(Aventhorn @ Oct 2 2006, 07:03 AM) *

I'll post a thread specifically for pirate songs on the official ES forums. smile.gif

I started a thread on the official boards just in case it dissapears off the page very quickly here is the link.

Pirate Songs

The one by GuarTrainer is good. The others I'm not so sure about but I'm no writer so I cant say anything. If any of them catch your eye please say so or if you come up with any of your own I'm compiling a wordpad document of the best ones.

These are my favourites so far:
The Death Of Me by GuarTrainer

Spent many a day and a coin on me grog
With the wind at me' mainsail, a salted sea-dog!
But I got me a wife now, no more life out at sea

So it's yo ho for me harties, where ever they may be,
I'm scuttled in port by my sweet-heart and a brat on me knee!
So it's heave-to, you pirate! Rove the endless sea,

As rich as can be by Argonian Master

thanks a billion for usin' me song but when putting it in the book say it was written by Ukaavei an old argonian pirate
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Oct 3 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #8

Evoker

Looks good. Theres a few good songs in there, we'll have to wait and see how many we get, you should post a link for the webpage in the starting post.

And thanks for adding the pirate isles to your signature! smile.gif

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Oct 9 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #9

Retainer

I'm gonna start assembling my pirate book tommrow on a notepad then I will send that, the mesh and the texture for you. If theres anything you think I could add to the book as well as the history and the pirate songs. I want to make this one of the most readable books in oblivion as I dont think books in vanilla have much grab and I dont think many modded books have much grab either.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Oct 11 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #10

Evoker

QUOTE(Aventhorn @ Oct 10 2006, 05:38 AM) *

I'm gonna start assembling my pirate book tommrow on a notepad then I will send that, the mesh and the texture for you. If theres anything you think I could add to the book as well as the history and the pirate songs. I want to make this one of the most readable books in oblivion as I dont think books in vanilla have much grab and I dont think many modded books have much grab either.

How goes it? When you give it to me do you mind if i edit it/add information?
Oh and if you include any of that information off the web make sure you put it in your own words wink.gif

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Oct 11 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Retainer

The book has been emailed to Dark_Soul for verification and whateever he wants to add.

I think the book has come off quite cool looking and I am looking forward to seeing it in game as I feel new books are an overlooked area of oblivion and this should add some zing to it.

My new book wouldnt look out of place on a ship cabin desk. in fact I might get a screenshot sometime tommorow as an example of what I mean.

I have edited some of the pirate songs to make sense and also altered another song to make it piratey sounding as the original creator tried to make it sound like a pirate but sounded more gangsta lol.

small note: If you need some cool or amusing pirate translations try this site Ahoy, matey.

It works quite well as long as you correctly spell whatever you type into it.

This is the book in game history of pirates

I think without thinking I may have picked the biggest of the book meshes so it might be hard to put on a small bookshelf. I certainly wouldnt like to be hit on the head with it if it fell off the shelf.

No worries about changing/editing the book cos at the end of the day it's gonna be in your mod and you have to be comfortable with it smile.gif, have fun.

This post has been edited by Aventhorn: Oct 12 2006, 01:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Oct 16 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Retainer

I was just wondering what you were gonna add to ye holy pirate book Dark_Soul or is it a secret tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Oct 17 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #13

Evoker

QUOTE(Aventhorn @ Oct 17 2006, 07:18 AM) *

I was just wondering what you were gonna add to ye holy pirate book Dark_Soul or is it a secret tongue.gif

I'm still considering it (I generally tweak everything about a thousand times tongue.gif) i'll post anything i add.

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
guthrix
post Nov 22 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #14

Retainer

heres a song for ya:

Violets Are Blue
Roses Are Red
Were Coming Aboard
Preper To Eat Lead
+Quote Post
harvesterofsouls
post Dec 31 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Retainer

This is more of a chant, but-

BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER,
BEER, BEER, BEER,BEER, BEER, BEER,
LETS GO DRINK SOME BEER!!!
BEER IS GOOD! BEER IS GOOD!!
Lets go sail a ship.
+Quote Post
harvesterofsouls
post Dec 31 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #16

Retainer

originaly it was: lets go drive a car.
+Quote Post
ryua
post Dec 31 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #17

Retainer

lol
+Quote Post
SkyShadowing
post Jan 17 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #18

Unregistered

QUOTE(guthrix @ Nov 22 2006, 10:15 AM) *

heres a song for ya:

Violets Are Blue
Roses Are Red
Were Coming Aboard
Preper To Eat Lead

It's strange.... I know exactly what game that is from.

Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge. One of the many quotes in Stan's Cozy Crypt on Scabb Island.
+Quote Post
guthrix
post Apr 28 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #19

Retainer

hmmmm.....

Roses are gray
Violets are gray
I got scurvy
and im colourblind
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:52 AM