Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Lore discussion
monkeyemoness
post Feb 6 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Loremaster Lawrence Schick is moving to Ireland and thus leaving the ESO Team

Gonna miss him tbh, and whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill. Or else.

IPB Image

EDIT: Oh, his successor wrote a good chunk of the Clockwork City! Okay, I'm not worried at all.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 7 2019, 05:54 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mALX
post Feb 8 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 6 2019, 05:13 PM) *

Loremaster Lawrence Schick is moving to Ireland and thus leaving the ESO Team

Gonna miss him tbh, and whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill. Or else.

IPB Image

EDIT: Oh, his successor wrote a good chunk of the Clockwork City! Okay, I'm not worried at all.

Aw verysad.gif

Reading this made me think of Michael Kirkbride; and how long it has been since we have heard his spouting of Lore. He has written something about the 5th Era; which makes me wonder if that will be the timing of the next Elder Scrolls game! Here is an excerpt from that story:

https://www.c0da.es/t/loveletter

Oh how I miss when these Devs used to get into big Lore discussions with their fans!

We love you Michael Kirkbride and Lawrence Schick!

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 8 2019, 06:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 8 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 7 2019, 10:54 PM) *

We love you Michael Kirkbride

I don't!

To deny that he made some amazing contributions to TES lore and set it apart from every cookie-cutter fantasy setting out there (or at the very least, uplifted it from its DnD homebrew origins), would be very stupid. He also stuck adamantly to the "open source" aspect of TES lore, as Schick did too, which I also appreciate and love.

But on the other hand his writing eventually became more deranged and nonsensical, his woman characters come in only two settings, those being "Mom" or "Whore", or both at once (his take on Almalexia), he has a creepy fixation on "intersex=divine", he LOVES to use sexual violence in his writing, and his interactions with the fandom can easily be described as abusive and monstrous (but this isn't the place for that discussion).

A while back he decided to bow out of the TES fandom, to everyone's benefit. Zenimax/Bethesda, to their credit, DO incorporate some of his better work done outside of their, hm, supervision, so at least there's that. (C0DA was actually referenced in Morrowind and the Clockwork City, actually)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 8 2019, 11:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 9 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 8 2019, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 7 2019, 10:54 PM) *

We love you Michael Kirkbride

I don't!

To deny that he made some amazing contributions to TES lore and set it apart from every cookie-cutter fantasy setting out there (or at the very least, uplifted it from its DnD homebrew origins), would be very stupid. He also stuck adamantly to the "open source" aspect of TES lore, as Schick did too, which I also appreciate and love.

But on the other hand his writing eventually became more deranged and nonsensical, his woman characters come in only two settings, those being "Mom" or "Whore", or both at once (his take on Almalexia), he has a creepy fixation on "intersex=divine", he LOVES to use sexual violence in his writing, and his interactions with the fandom can easily be described as abusive and monstrous (but this isn't the place for that discussion).

A while back he decided to bow out of the TES fandom, to everyone's benefit. Zenimax/Bethesda, to their credit, DO incorporate some of his better work done outside of their, hm, supervision, so at least there's that. (C0DA was actually referenced in Morrowind and the Clockwork City, actually)

BOLD: I do have to agree with you on this; his writings on the Imperial Library and the Lore section of the Bethesda Official Forums were beginning to show that before he "disappeared." But for what he did before that; I have to give him credit and homage. He was never abusive (that I saw) on the Imperial Library forums; he was kind of worshiped by all there = wouldn't have been if he'd been obnoxious without reason.

I found some odd sexual stories going on in the older TES stories = rape, (Molag Bal) incest, (6th House/Poison Song) promiscuity, (Barenziah) or just plain weird stuff (like King Hrol with a mound of dirt he thought was Alessia on the site that later became Sancre Tor and supposedly produced Reman 1 thirty years later) etc. - but all that was in the Lore long before Michael Kirkbride started fraying at the edges struggling to retain the threads of the more complex aspects of the Lore he created and developed.

Also = can't even talk about TES without thinking of Ted Peterson. wub.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 9 2019, 07:12 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
monkeyemoness   Lore discussion   Feb 6 2019, 11:13 PM
monkeyemoness   [quote name='monkeyemoness' post='312534' date='F...   Feb 9 2019, 07:53 AM
mALX   [quote name='monkeyemoness' post='312534' date='...   Feb 9 2019, 05:04 PM
Darkness Eternal   I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While th...   Feb 10 2019, 03:06 PM
mALX   I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While t...   Feb 10 2019, 08:35 PM
monkeyemoness   I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP wi...   Feb 10 2019, 09:53 PM
mALX   I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP w...   Feb 11 2019, 07:07 AM
Darkness Eternal   I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While ...   Feb 11 2019, 03:49 PM
mALX   [quote name='mALX' post='312599' date='Feb 10 201...   Feb 11 2019, 08:07 PM
Acadian   Per request, have created this new thread for lore...   Feb 11 2019, 09:39 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   Oh, yes. Michael Kirkbride. One of my..."favo...   Feb 12 2019, 04:12 PM
monkeyemoness   The fact that MK is such a controversial figure in...   Feb 12 2019, 10:40 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   The fact that MK is such a controversial figure i...   Feb 13 2019, 02:22 AM
monkeyemoness   Gonna be honest, I don't think I ever really r...   Feb 14 2019, 09:49 PM
Darkness Eternal   Recent news: we have a new writer. Leamon Tuttle. ...   Mar 10 2019, 10:18 PM
monkeyemoness   Yep, them's the guy that was "apprenticed...   Mar 11 2019, 12:59 AM
monkeyemoness   https://66.media.tumblr.com/c8db9cbe78d5236b336f80...   Mar 26 2019, 01:43 AM
monkeyemoness   https://esosslfiles-a.akamaihd.net/cms/2019/04/eaf...   Apr 17 2019, 11:56 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   The Green Pact is so [censored] stupid. I'm n...   Oct 4 2019, 06:35 AM
Acadian   Thoughts? I agree that the Green Pact is absurdly...   Oct 4 2019, 01:24 PM
SubRosa   I think the Green Pact was invented by people who ...   Oct 4 2019, 05:22 PM
mALX   I think the Green Pact was thrown into TES Lore as...   Oct 4 2019, 08:17 PM
haute ecole rider   Actually even the Bosmer themselves realize how ri...   Oct 7 2019, 01:27 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:04 PM