2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Outer Worlds, New game by Obsidian
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 7 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok, so Obsidian are working on a new game called The Outer Worlds. It appears to be an open world first person shooter/rpg set in a sci fi world. They are also making the fact that they have some of the original devs who worked on the first Fallouts and New Vegas a big part of their marketing for this game.

The Outer Worlds trailer

IGN article.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 7 2018, 05:19 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 7 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

That looks really interesting. I am looking forward to seeing more of this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 12 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Well apparently it’s not open world, but rather may be a hub type world. Also they say there are no plans for “official” support for mods but Khajiit wouldn’t be surprised if some enterprising modders make some for the game anyway. Also, they are careful to say that this isn’t going to be a big budget AAA game so somethings had to prioritized. In other words, don’t expect too much from it, lol.
We’ll see. It looks interesting but Khajiit is kind of bummed it’s not open world.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 12 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

FWIW Obsidian are the reason I started on TES. I'd done a lot of mod-making for Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, but when Obsidian took over the name, and produced the non-moddable DS3, with its over-the-top graphics and all, I jumped ship to Oblivion, and then the others.

I've never liked anything they do, especially if it's messing up a franchise I did like before their involvement. They're the classic case of, "no role-playing in our games, unless it's the one we wrote for you". If you're a sheep, you might like their stuff, but I emphatically don't.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 13 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 12 2018, 11:36 AM) *

FWIW Obsidian are the reason I started on TES. I'd done a lot of mod-making for Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, but when Obsidian took over the name, and produced the non-moddable DS3, with its over-the-top graphics and all, I jumped ship to Oblivion, and then the others.

I've never liked anything they do, especially if it's messing up a franchise I did like before their involvement. They're the classic case of, "no role-playing in our games, unless it's the one we wrote for you". If you're a sheep, you might like their stuff, but I emphatically don't.

BAAAH BAAAH!! Khajiit liked Fallout: New Vegas, so this one guesses you can call him [insert appropriate sheep name here].

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 13 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 13 2018, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 12 2018, 11:36 AM) *

BAAAH BAAAH!! Khajiit liked Fallout: New Vegas, so this one guesses you can call him [insert appropriate sheep name here].

AHA! A Khajiit in sheep's clothing! I knew it!

Anyway, on a serious note to ghastley's point, I like Fallout: New Vegas, too. That being said, I'm not a fan of how much backstory they give you in the game. And what's more annoying is the Obsidian fanboys that say they do everything right and Bethesda does everything wrong [censored] and complain that Fallout 4 has too restrictive a backstory but New Vegas did everything right. They conveniently gloss over the fact that the game they put on a pedestal did the same thing they are so often complaining about. (The general gaming community being hypocritical? SHOCKER!)

In fact, I'd argue that Fallout 4's story was the less restrictive of the two. Sure, it tells you that you're married with a baby and that you were a lawyer (Nora) or veteran (Nate), but it doesn't really tell you anything else. New Vegas tells you that you freaking blew up the Divide, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That's pretty critical and way more rigid a backstory element than anything Fallout 4 did.

"B-b-but Fallout 4 isn't a real RPG! New Vegas is the epitome of RPG! You're not allowed to hate Obsidian, Bethesda shill!"

The general gaming community and various subcommunities can be so infuriating. It really shouldn't bother me though. It is easy for a troll to act tough behind a computer screen. I let that kind of stuff get to me too often. Too bad that kind of thing is not limited to gaming either.

Anyway, that ends my mini-rant.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Dec 13 2018, 06:39 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 13 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

10/10, would read again.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 13 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 13 2018, 11:36 AM) *

AHA! A Khajiit in sheep's clothing! I knew it!

Anyway, on a serious note to ghastley's point, I like Fallout: New Vegas, too. That being said, I'm not a fan of how much backstory they give you in the game. And what's more annoying is the Obsidian fanboys that say they do everything right and Bethesda does everything wrong [censored] and complain that Fallout 4 has too restrictive a backstory but New Vegas did everything right. They conveniently gloss over the fact that the game they put on a pedestal did the same thing they are so often complaining about. (The general gaming community being hypocritical? SHOCKER!)

In fact, I'd argue that Fallout 4's story was the less restrictive of the two. Sure, it tells you that you're married with a baby and that you were a lawyer (Nora) or veteran (Nate), but it doesn't really tell you anything else. New Vegas tells you that you freaking blew up the Divide, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That's pretty critical and way more rigid a backstory element than anything Fallout 4 did.

"B-b-but Fallout 4 isn't a real RPG! New Vegas is the epitome of RPG! You're not allowed to hate Obsidian, Bethesda shill!"

The general gaming community and various subcommunities can be so infuriating. It really shouldn't bother me though. It is easy for a troll to act tough behind a computer screen. I let that kind of stuff get to me too often. Too bad that kind of thing is not limited to gaming either.

Yeah, this one agrees. It’s just really hip to bash on BGS right now and Khajiit will not say they don’t deserve it, but to portray Obsidian *or any other game developers* as some kind of angelic gaming saviors is just plain stupid.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 13 2018, 07:23 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 13 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 13 2018, 12:36 PM) *

I literally just went through an entire bag of popcorn over here, ha ha.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 14 2018, 04:11 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Dec 13 2018, 12:46 PM) *

10/10, would read again.

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 13 2018, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 13 2018, 12:36 PM) *

I literally just went through an entire bag of popcorn over here, ha ha.

Oh, I've got plenty more where that came from, but many rants would not be appropriate for this website.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 13 2018, 01:22 PM) *

Yeah, this one agrees. It’s just really hip to bash on BGS right now and Khajiit will not say they don’t deserve it, but to portray Obsidian *or any other game developers* as some kind of angelic gaming saviors is just plain stupid.

It seems like it has always been cool to bash on BGS. I just get annoyed when it is so over-the-top, circlejerky, or hypocritical. No one is above criticism, but I think it is sometimes unwarranted in their case (although it seems that they really [censored] the bed with this Fallout 76 rollout). But I suppose that is just how the gaming community in general is, and it isn't just Bethesda. It's unfortunate that many of them feed into the stereotypes that non-gamers or "casuals" have about video game players.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 14 2018, 04:52 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 13 2018, 09:11 PM) *

It seems like it has always been cool to bash on BGS. I just get annoyed when it is so over-the-top, circlejerky, or hypocritical. No one is above criticism, but I think it is sometimes unwarranted in their case (although it seems that they really [censored] the bed with this Fallout 76 rollout). But I suppose that is just how the gaming community in general is, and it isn't just Bethesda. It's unfortunate that many of them feed into the stereotypes that non-gamers or "casuals" have about video game players.

Well, I mean, there has always been some snark about “Bugfesta” and when little things like the Horse Armour Fiasco pop up, but with the release of 76, it’s really trendy to bash them. By all means criticize them. They deserve it for letting that travesty of wasted programming out the gate, the way they’ve handled the Canvas Bag Controversy, and for the leaking of players’ personal info. However, all this talk about how certain other game companies are perfect paragons of gaming greatness is just ridiculous.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 14 2018, 04:56 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 14 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 13 2018, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 13 2018, 09:11 PM) *

Well, I mean, there has always been some snark about “Bugfesta” and when little things like the Horse Armour Fiasco pop up, but with the release of 76, it’s really trendy to bash them. By all means criticize them. They deserve it for letting that travesty of wasted programming out the gate, the way they’ve handled the Canvas Bag Controversy, and for the leaking of players’ personal info. However, all this talk about how certain other game companies are perfect paragons of gaming greatness is just ridiculous.

Oh, for sure. I don't mean to sound like an apologist (not that you were saying that). I'm nobody's shill. And from what I have heard of everything about Fallout 76, there is plenty of criticism to lay at their feet. It's disappointing to see Bethesda screw up so badly and then make it worse by the ways that they have tried to cover it up or make poor amends. But people are ridiculing ad nauseam though, you know? And a lot of it is people just being on the anti-BGS bandwagon as usual. Hard to separate it from the lots of legitimate complaints and criticism.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 14 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 14 2018, 12:04 AM) *

Oh, for sure. I don't mean to sound like an apologist (not that you were saying that). I'm nobody's shill. And from what I have heard of everything about Fallout 76, there is plenty of criticism to lay at their feet. It's disappointing to see Bethesda screw up so badly and then make it worse by the ways that they have tried to cover it up or make poor amends. But people are ridiculing ad nauseam though, you know? And a lot of it is people just being on the anti-BGS bandwagon as usual. Hard to separate it from the lots of legitimate complaints and criticism.

Khajiit definitely wasn’t calling you an apologist and agrees that there is a lot of bandwagon BGS bashing going on. To be fair to BGS, they were very straight forward about what 76 was going to be. This one knew from the very start it wouldn’t be a game for him and so will not waste his money on the game (unless they release something that makes the game more appealing, then we may reevaluate that position). It just boggles the mind that the powers that be at BGS thought this game was a good idea. Khajiit understands they want and need to try new things, but good gods, did they not even listen to the idea pitch at the very beginning of development?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Crimson Paladin
post Dec 17 2018, 03:36 AM
Post #14

Retainer

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 12 2018, 10:36 AM) *

You were a mod maker for Dungeon Siege 1 and 2? I loved those games. I never figured out modding it to the degree you did, but it's nice to know someone who shares their disdain for Obsidian's take on it. I'm a bit bewildered because the genre seemed right up Obsidian's alley, what with everything they did back when they were Black Isle.

Even then, I do like many Obsidian's titles, even if some of them are underwhelming, and I'm hoping Outer Worlds will scratch the itch that actionized modern RPGs and retro isometric RPGs can't scratch.

This post has been edited by Crimson Paladin: Dec 17 2018, 03:37 AM

--------------------
The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it;
the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it.
When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee,
beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate,
but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.
-The Hammer Book of Tenets
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 21 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Hope y'all like the Epic Games store.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 21 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Mar 21 2019, 09:22 AM) *

Hope y'all like the Epic Games store.

Yeah, that little revelation basically caused Khajiit to loose all interest in this game. Supposedly it will be out on the Micro$oft Store too, but this one doesn’t really care at this point.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

What is wrong with the Epic Games store? As I understand it they charge developers less than Steam, and they don't put drm in their games. I don't see how it is any different from Gog. Is there something I am missing?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 21 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 21 2019, 02:58 PM) *

What is wrong with the Epic Games store? As I understand it they charge developers less than Steam, and they don't put drm in their games. I don't see how it is any different from Gog. Is there something I am missing?

They sell your personal information.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 21 2019, 04:01 PM) *

So they are like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and every other company in the world?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 21 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 21 2019, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 21 2019, 04:01 PM) *

So they are like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and every other company in the world?

*Sigh* Given the choice between game distributers that do this and those that don’t, Khajiit will choose the ones that don’t. Thanks for the snark.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:55 PM