How do you use uesp.net?
How do you use UESP.net?
What's UESP.net? [ 1 ] ** [4.17%]
Just visiting [ 21 ] ** [87.50%]
Have edited 1-2 pages [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Have edited 3-7 pages [ 1 ] ** [4.17%]
Have edited 8-15 pages [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Have edited 16 or more pages [ 1 ] ** [4.17%]
How would you rate the content of UESP.net?
Take it with a grain of salt [ 3 ] ** [12.50%]
Mostly reliable [ 13 ] ** [54.17%]
The next-best thing to canon there is for the moment [ 8 ] ** [33.33%]
Total Votes: 48
Guests cannot vote 
paragenic
post May 7 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Retainer

(With grateful thanks to raggidman)

Hi, everyone! biggrin.gif

I'm new to Chorrol but people have told me it's not nice to clog existing threads with off-topic discussions. So I'm starting one of my own threads now.

It's thanks to UESP.net that I discovered this site, through the announcement that was published there about the fan fiction competition. I've seen a big difference between UESP and Chorrol - where on UESP the stuff that gets put online there is the product of a lot of consensus, here on Chorrol there are many discussions and voices and sometimes they don't always agree. This is very disorienting. So, I was curious how much do Chorrol people get involved with UESP?

If they wanted an answer to a question, for instance suppose they wanted to know if there were bulls in the land of Cyrodiil, would UESP be the place they would turn to?

This post has been edited by paragenic: May 7 2008, 06:19 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raggidman
post May 7 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Evoker

ty paragenic - I started using an dcontributed to UESP just before I began with Chorrol, although I discovered both a looong time ago.

Must say I like UESP's relaxed attitude and, like here, people there tend to be naturally friendly, which helps. smile.gif

Thing is that UESP is still growing - as the Lore grows - so some threads are very minimal, but what the best of the site does is access and re-present the original Lore in such a way that people can see a whole lot deeper into the way things are in Tamriel and on Nirn generally. And once info one a single topic is all assembled into a wiki article by a master people are astonished how much more there is than they had thought.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 7 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 7 2008, 07:19 PM) *

It's thanks to UESP.net that I discovered this site, through the announcement that was published there about the fan fiction competition. I've seen a big difference between UESP and Chorrol - where on UESP the stuff that gets put online there is the product of a lot of consensus, here on Chorrol there are many discussions and voices and sometimes they don't always agree. This is very disorienting. So, I was curious how much do Chorrol people get involved with UESP?

If they wanted an answer to a question, for instance suppose they wanted to know if there were bulls in the land of Cyrodiil, would UESP be the place they would turn to?

Well, of course you have to take into account that this is a very different place then the UESP. Chorrol is a simply fansite/forum, but UESP is dedicated to knowledge about the Elder Scrolls series. For as long as I can remember their site is mostly devoted to answers to questions, concerning quests and whatnot. It can't really be compared to Chorrol in that way.

In fact, if you'd wanted to compare this forum to any part of the UESP, you'd have to compare it simply to the forums of the UESP. Both are similar, but comparing the Wiki part of the UESP to Chorrol isn't really a good comparison.

Now, if you're interested in knowledge about the Elder Scrolls universe, I can advice this site;
http://www.imperial-library.info/

It's entirely dedicated to the lore, and thus the world and everything that lies behind it and in it.

As to your poll, I haven't participated in the creation of articles on UESP, but I have been using it as a source of reference since I entered the community back in 04, back when the UESP wasn't a wiki yet.

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
raggidman
post May 8 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Evoker

At risk of repeating Alesander's response the Chorrol Forum and the UESP wiki are the more active active elements for each, so:
- chorrol is more creatively oriented and
- UESP being informationally oriented.
+Quote Post
kementari
post May 26 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #5

Evoker

I used to be a relatively frequent editor (or at least, patroller) over at UESP. Like any wiki, you have to be aware that open source information has the potential to be incorrect, but it's still a great source for quick reference (so long as you check your sources later).

--------------------

I am the sword in darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 18 2013, 09:37 AM
Post #6

Spam Meister
Group Icon

From the forces of Mannimarco comes mirocu, second-in-command and Supreme Resurrector

Voted "Just visiting" and "Next best thing"

Maybe Iīm naive but I have no reason to distrust that site. I frequently visit it and even though it has flaws itīs well-written and when I compare what Iīve read to what Iīve done in the game myself itīs been 99% accurate. I have even been treated to new information I didnīt know of or things I simply missed while playing.

-Thanks, UESP! smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 18 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

W-where do you find these threads?!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 18 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 18 2013, 09:51 AM) *

W-where do you find these threads?!

When you venture far into the unknown past the safe spots, beyond your own fear where truth starts to glimmer, thatīs where youīll find them.

Or just past the front page tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 18 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Wow. Really old thread and the UESP site has really evolved over the years to be a nearly all inclusive source of information to ES fans.

For the most part the information is accurate but like Wikipedia it can be edited by anyone and as such you should always look out for people hoping to troll users seeking game info.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 18 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Anyway, on topic: I quite like it. It's got good information that seems to be reliable, though I find the way the site's laid out can be rather obtuse and illogical. elderscrolls.wikia.com is better laid out and information is easier to find, but it is less comprehensive; whether that's going to change as time goes on (it is, after all, far newer) is something I'm waiting to see.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 18 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 18 2013, 09:37 AM) *

Anyway, on topic: I quite like it. It's got good information that seems to be reliable, though I find the way the site's laid out can be rather obtuse and illogical. elderscrolls.wikia.com is better laid out and information is easier to find, but it is less comprehensive; whether that's going to change as time goes on (it is, after all, far newer) is something I'm waiting to see.

I agree and think the Wiki is an excellent source as well.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 18 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #12

Spam Meister
Group Icon

As far as design goes I find UESP to be much more user friendly. Very easy for anyone to find what they look for. Wikia is to me much more cluttered and all over the place. The UESP strong suit here is the left-side overlook. Neutral colors also help.

Just my opinion, naturally....

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 18 2013, 11:39 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 18 2013, 08:37 AM) *

From the forces of Mannimarco comes mirocu, second-in-command and Supreme Resurrector

Dammit Mirocu!!

That's my line! mad.gif

On topic: Voted just visiting and next best thing.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 18 2013, 11:40 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 18 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #14

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 18 2013, 11:39 AM) *

On topic: Voted just visiting and next best thing.

Dammit Callidus!!

Thatīs my vote! mad.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 18 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Touche

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Nov 18 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

There's been a few times where I've found more accurate or more complete information on the Wikia, but I get sick of all the ads there fast. Generally UESP is my first stop, and then Wikia if I can't find what I'm looking for.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 18 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

It's almost all taken from dungeon-diving into the CS, so it reflects the facts well. I use it a lot, as it's a very convenient way to look up things.

And I shamelessly stole half its style sheet for my walk-throughs. The format for presenting the information works very well.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 19 2013, 02:33 AM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Just visiting and Mostly Reliable.

I have heard UESP is bad for those who are trying to study lore, for instance, but I rarely do this. I usually go on there to find some sort of spoiler, or to learn some extra things about an NPC or lair.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:50 AM