Mage
Group Icon

that was a very emotional homecoming for Trey lol biggrin.gif
i really want to know who the imperial woman is though

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 15 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

Before I made the rounds of the Redoran councilors, I stopped by the Mage Guild to rest and repair my equipment. As I walked through Ald’ruhn, most of the people greeted me cordially, but I noticed a number who seemed to give me suspicious looks or who stopped talking to each other as I approached. Too tired and pre-occupied to worry about it, I settled into one of the guest rooms at the Mages and gave myself up to sleep. Rising with the dawn, I returned to Skar and began calling upon the various councilors. One of the things I appreciated about House Redoran was that our councilors tended to be concentrated in the manor houses Under Skar. After all of the traveling I had done around the Ascadian Isles and Azura’s Coast regions, it was pleasant to be able to speak to everyone in one morning. Athyn had done his best for me, and the work I had done for a number of the councilors also served me well. Most named me Hortator without reservation, although there were a couple of curious incidents. The first was that Hlaren Ramoran and Brara Morvayn both mentioned something about “rumors” that I was an “Imperial spy.” Clearly, one of my fears about my involuntary enrollment in the Blades had come true. The second odd encounter was with Miner Arobar, who become very agitated upon seeing me and abruptly told me that he could not support me for promotion to the Redoran Council. When I explained that such was not my purpose, he was greatly relieved and tried to pass the incident off as of no consequence. Still seeming distracted, Arobar continued,

“I have spoken with Athyn Sarethi. He believes your story and says you can be trusted. I have known Athyn since he was a child, and I have absolute faith his judgment. Please accept my apologies for not seeking you out and accepting you at once. Forgive me also for believing these rumors about you being an Imperial spy. You have my vote. Miner Arobar hereby confirms Trey as Hortator of House Redoran. Tell the other councilors that I have given you my blessings.”

While I appreciated his vote, I wondered what was troubling him. Still, I had to focus on my current goal, but promised myself that I would let Athyn know that there was something strange with his fellow councilor.

It was gratifying that all of the councilors gave me their votes without requesting proof or requiring me to perform some service for them. I had been prepared to display the Moon-and-Star or to do whatever was necessary, but Athyn’s influence made that unnecessary.

Before the morning was over, I was able to return to Sarethi Manor and tell him of my success. When I thanked him for his support, he said,

“It is no more than you deserve. You have always shown honor, courage, and respect. It is clear that a Hortator is needed, and I believe you will be a great war leader. Now, as I had warned you, Bolvyn Venim will never allow you to assume the title of Hortator. Until now, the House’s need for his strong leadership has prevented us from acting on his…less admirable actions. But now that we have a Hortator and also someone who can lead the council, his time is near an end. Please do as I asked and go to your stronghold at Bal Isra. In a few days time, I will send a message to you, and we will meet again.”
Although it seemed to me that Athyn was being needlessly mysterious, I trusted him. No doubt he had his reasons for not telling me precisely what he had in mind and, if I knew him, he was trying to protect both me and Redoran. So I followed his advice and went to Bal Isra to rest and consider all that had occurred. Over the few days that I was there, I was not completely idle, though. I spent some of the time thinking about the battles I had fought and about the coming struggle against Dagoth Ur. In particular, the melee with Gothren and the Dremora Lords came to mind. Although the dai katana I had used was a frightful weapon, its size was such that it precluded use of a shield. Against a single opponent, that lack of defense could be overcome; with multiple opponents, having a shield was almost essential. Then, too, there was my use of Reflect to turn Gothren’s offensive spells back upon him. That same ability could be used against the frost damage my enchanted sword dealt. After much consideration, I decided that an Ebony longsword, enchanted with Absorb Health would be a better alternative. Although the sword itself would not do as much damage, the enchantment would not harm me if it was reflected. The sword’s lighter weight would also allow me to carry a shield and use it effectively. I had a feeling that fighting Dagoth Ur would not be a simple matter of strolling up to Red Mountain and knocking on the door.

Three days had passed when Athyn’s messenger came to me. He advised me to come to Ald’ruhn in all haste, but suggested that I don a hooded cloak to disguise myself until I was inside Sarethi Manor. Puzzled by the admonition, I nevertheless heeded it and made my way back to Ald’ruhn. When I reached the town, it was buzzing like a disturbed hive. Groups of people were gathered everywhere, talking animatedly and gesturing broadly. Oddly, whatever had stirred them up had the flavor of excitement rather than anger. I was able to overhear a few bits of the conversations as I made my careful way to Skar-

“…a duel. In the Arena at Vivec.”

“Cut him down as neat as you please. Never saw a sword move so fast.”

“Things will be different with a new Archmaster.”

Finally, I reached Athyn, who greeted me warmly, but with a hint of reserve or worry in his eyes. He first congratulated me,

“The Council of House Redoran is in agreement. You are the Hortator of House Redoran. I hope you are as successful in persuading the rest of Morrowind to unite against Dagoth Ur and his blighted hosts. On behalf of the house and council, take the Ring of the Hortator, a token of your office. By this ring others shall know you as our chosen champion.”

When I asked about Venim, he told me,

“Bolvyn Venim is no longer the Archmaster. In fact, he is no longer among the living. His successor regrets that she could not be here to greet you personally, but she informed the Council that she supports you as Hortator.”
She? Bolvyn Venim had been defeated in single combat by a woman? A woman who was high enough in House Redoran to issue a credible challenge? Before I could intelligibly frame any of those questions, Athyn continued,

“I also have a sealed package for you. I do not know what it contains, but I received it from a contact in the highest ranks of the Temple. My guess is that it has something to do with the Temple's position on your claim to fulfill the Nerevarine prophecies. And here is a copy of a recent public notice identifying you as an Imperial agent. I am satisfied of your sincerity, but I warn you that others may not be so understanding.”

I looked first at the public notice, which explained the strange looks I had received earlier, as well as the remarks from some of the councilors. I have preserved the copy Athyn gave me. It read:

WELL-BELOVED PEOPLE OF MORROWIND!
TAKE HEED!
TAKE WARNING!

The outlaw named Trey, stated trade of Adventurer, lately called 'Incarnate' and 'Nerevarine,' now is shown to the investigating Ordinators and Magistrates of this district to be an agent in the pay of the Imperial Intelligence Service. This outlaw's claims are false. The prophecies this outlaw cites are discredited. The dishonest character and base purposes of the outlaw in perpetrating this hoax are now made clear to all observers. Trey is sought for various crimes by Ordinators and town guards. Report all encounters with this outlaw to the proper authorities. If you see this outlaw in public, give the alarm.

Published by the authority of the Temple, the Order of the Watch, Magistrates of Vvardenfell District, under the signature and authority of Grandmaster Berel Sala, Captain of the Watch. Hear and Heed!

That came as no real surprise to me; I had been waiting for the Temple to catch up to me for some time. The contents of the sealed package, though, did give me pause. The package was sealed with a blank blob of wax, bearing no mark of any kind. Written on the outside were the words:

To the Outlander lately proclaiming his identity as the Nerevarine, to be delivered with haste --

The text of the note read as follows:

The assertions made being in direct contradiction of the doctrine of the Tribunal, namely, that you are the Nerevarine, the reincarnation of the Sainted Lord Nerevar, are, in addition to being against Temple teaching, incredible and implausible in the extreme.

The revelations made by the Inquisition, namely, that you yourself are in fact an agent of the Imperial Intelligence Service, otherwise known as the Order of Blades, lately made with substantial evidence by the Lord High Archordinator, Berel Sala, further calls into question the validity of and motivations behind your claims.

However, as incredible as your claims are, as much as they are in direct contradiction of the teachings of the Temple, and tainted as they are by the inferences to be made upon your close association with the covert policies and interests of the Emperor, the interests of the Temple and its leadership, and in particular, the interests of His Immortal Lordship, Vivec, are best served by a close and personal examination of the claims being made, and close and personal examination of the motivations and character of the claimant.

The Temple, through its examinations of its records, in particular, the records of the Heirographa and Apographa, is intimately familiar with the many and varied claims of signs and feats that would mark the Nerevarine according to prophecy.

Therefore, in the event of the fulfillment of certain of those most remarkable and scarcely credible claims -- namely, that the claimant should, at one time, be the acknowledged holder of several ancient titles of power and authority of the Dunmer people, to whit, Hortator of the Great Houses and Nerevarine of the Ashlander tribes -- the Temple proposes that the claimant of the identity of the Nerevarine shall present himself for inspection before his Reverend Honor, Archcanon Lord Tholer Saryoni, High Archcanon and Chancellor of Vivec, Archcanon of the Canonry of Vvardenfell, Arch-Priest of the High Fane, for a review and consideration of his claims and identity. However, until such time as the claimant actually has been named Hortator separately and jointly by the three Great Houses of Vvardenfell, and at the same time has been named Nerevarine separately and jointly by the four tribes of the Ashlanders, there is no purpose in reviewing or discussing these claims.

Because of the Temple's official position on the prophecies of the Nerevarine, and in the interests of preserving the security of the claimant from those parties who might wish to do him harm, it is convenient that the claimant of the title Nerevarine shall present himself in secret to Archcanon Saryoni in the archcanon's private quarters in the High Fane of Vivec.

To signify agreement with these terms and conditions for a meeting with the archcanon, the Nerevarine claimant may present himself to the healer of the High Fane of Vivec, Danso Indules, and the necessary arrangements will be made. Once again, no purpose is served by a meeting until the claimant is named Hortator of the three Great Houses and is named Nerevarine of the four Ashlander tribes.

written at the request of and in the name of his Reverend Honor Tholer Saryoni, Archcanon and Chancellor of Vivec,

Dileno Lloran, priest of Vivec, assistant to the Archcanon

The content of the note so stunned me that I had to sit down. It was not the Temple’s wish to speak with me that was so shocking- it was that they thought I was so stupid that I would deliver myself into their hands like a lamb to the slaughter. Perhaps when I did so I could inquire after Peakstar, the last Incarnate to have enjoyed the “hospitality” of the Temple. No, I had fulfilled the Fourth and Fifth Prophecies and would be going back to the Ashlands to see Nibani Maesa. The last place I wanted to go was the High Fane in Vivec City. To do so would be the ultimate proof of madness.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post May 15 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #63

Master
Group Icon

great job Trey!

oh and just so you know Cristmas isn't 'till December tongue.gif

keep up[ the good work

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Veltan
post May 15 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #64

Retainer

Wow.

p.s. I keep wondering who this imperial woman is... at first I thought she was Trey's mother, but then Trey said she was a Breton. With the new Redoran Archmagister a woman, I'm almost certain it's her. But you never know.

--------------------
I'm just killing time
until my doomsday.

There's no reason or rhyme
to what they sooth-say.

p.s. Even though my website is called Teltano, Veltan was already taken.
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post May 16 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #65

Mage
Group Icon

When are we gonna find out more about this mysterious woman?????

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post May 16 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

Nice :drool:
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:57 PM