5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does this thread belong here?, pieces of quest
ghastley
post Mar 9 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

@Acadian nit fixed. That was a case of adding the "she explained" without adjusting the rest.

This whole story was inspired by talking to Beewos when I did the Shoegorath shrine quest to get a disposable Daedric Artifact for Martin. I used to be a dog, but I got better. Not a better dog, I'm a terrible dog now. Tomorrow, who knows? It just struck me that this affliction was a Sheo version of Hircine's that suited the lore perfectly and it begged for some expansion.

@King Coin don't expect a lot to be available immediately. I'm still shuffling the order of the quests to make the story flow better, and several of them are buggy and lacking in action or story. It will be some time before the full release. The first quests were just to introduce the Riders, and fairly safe against revision, so I could release those as a trial to gauge reactions.

My main problem at the moment with the mod is trying to write something that doesn't depend too much on the Main Quest. The Mythic Dawn are introduced at the outset, and the acolytes in the Lake Arrius Cavern continue to spawn there after the MQ is complete. That means they're fairly safe to use at any time, but I keep having to review dialog to eliminate assumptions that Mankur Camoran is alive or dead, or that Gates are still/already open. The tales here don't have that problem, because I'm recounting one instance of playing a quest that can act differently when played by someone else.

So when you meet Unna, there may not be an Oblivion Gate along her patrol, because it hasn't opened, or it was already closed. However there is a spawn point for a Daedra near there, regardless of the Gate's presence. Claudia's quest works at any point, but you'll need a reasonable level of Stealth (or equivalent spells) to sneak into the Watchtower and Legion Office.

I've just finished creating the quest to introduce Heidi to the story, and it didn't require much change to the one before it, so I should have a couple more episodes written soon for here.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 9 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

It will probably be a while before my character wanders that far north to run into her patrol route. She [my character] dislikes the cold.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Mar 9 2011, 05:45 PM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 12 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

Now all the girls are going to want to upgrade their boyfriends with a light case of Lesser Lycanthropy. Sniffing and howling seems a small price to pay. tongue.gif

I like the gathering ingredients aspect. Sometimes it's hard to find a rat when you want one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 18 2011, 01:27 AM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

I've been busy adding to the mod itself, and rather neglecting the stories here, mine and yours.

Teaser image at TesNexus

This will give you an idea of where it's going, if I can only find a reason to take Heidi to the Isles with the player, or to fetch her later.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 18 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

Neat combination of an oblivion gate with Order pylons (or whatever they are called)! I imagine it leads to wherever Jygallag went to after the new Prince of Madness defeated him?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 18 2011, 01:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 18 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #46

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 17 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Neat combination of an oblivion gate with Order pylons (or whatever they are called)! I imagine it leads to wherever Jygallag went to after the new Prince of Madness defeated him?

Well sealed like that it no longer leads anywhere., but the idea is that when Dagon opens gates in SI to get some revenge on the CoC/Madgod, you don't simply close them, you answer in kind with a bit of Ordering of his Deadlands. You've either taken over both sides of Sheogorath, or at least gained the Priests' ability to spread the taint of Order, in this case by replacing the Sigil Stone with a Heart of Order. That's Heidi's genius idea, so I need her there to suggest it.

This gate is just in a test cell, but there will be one in Dementia, and another in Mania that will be sealed in this way. I still have gaps in the overall plot, and a number of new bits of Ordered Deadlands to make, so it will be some time before it all comes together. The transitions between Oblivion and SI are causing problems with followers and their dialog, but I'm gradually getting them ironed out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 18 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

You know... That sounds like a lot of fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 18 2011, 02:34 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 17 2011, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 17 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Well sealed like that it no longer leads anywhere., but the idea is that when Dagon opens gates in SI to get some revenge on the CoC/Madgod, you don't simply close them, you answer in kind with a bit of Ordering of his Deadlands. You've either taken over both sides of Sheogorath, or at least gained the Priests' ability to spread the taint of Order, in this case by replacing the Sigil Stone with a Heart of Order. That's Heidi's genius idea, so I need her there to suggest it.

This gate is just in a test cell, but there will be one in Dementia, and another in Mania that will be sealed in this way. I still have gaps in the overall plot, and a number of new bits of Ordered Deadlands to make, so it will be some time before it all comes together. The transitions between Oblivion and SI are causing problems with followers and their dialog, but I'm gradually getting them ironed out.

The Ordered Deadlands! I love it! Have you thought about turning Dremora into Priests of Order? devilsmile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 21 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

I've created most of the final(?) quest of the SI arc. Now I need to go back a bit and get everyone in place for it, but before I get too far away from where I left off in Tamriel, here's another quest on the way there.

quick screenshot from Ordered Oblivion

---------

Gudrun's Tale

When the Hero of Kvatch next passed by the Rider's Lodge, Timo was just leaving to go into town. "Did you speak to Gudrun?" he asked. "She was looking for you."

"What did she want?"

"She was heading into the Imperial City, and was hoping you could go with her. Could you meet her at the Waterfront?"

Timo didn't know any more than that. Nor did Magnus, the barman, and all the Riders were out on patrol. If he wanted to find out what was going on, he'd have to visit the City.

---

The residents of the Waterfront had seen Gudrun down on the docks near the Galleon at the Western end, talking to the crew. She was still there when he wandered down, in conversation with one of the beggars. She noticed him arriving and came over.

"Good, You're here! Now we can go look at the location for the new office." she began.

"Office?"

"Yes, Chancellor Ocato is still insisting that the Valus Mountains need more patrols. I keep telling him there aren't any trails and I can't get the riders." she replied. "He just won't listen, so I asked for an office in the city, thinking that would put him off, but it hasn't. We're here to look at a place."

WIth that, she turned and walked over to a large door next to the archway that lead through to his own small shack. She took a key from somewhere (how can there be pockets in a uniform like hers?) and unlocked the door. They went inside and Gudrun lit a torch.

There were spider webs everywhere, and broken crates and barrels littered the stairs. Picking their way through the debris, they reached a modestly-sized cellar space, just as full of trash as the way in.

And there, standing in the corner watching them, was the reason the place was unused. The ghostly figure of an Argonian lifted his eyes and gazed in their direction. "Why did I ever open that restaurant?" he asked.

"What restaurant?" they asked in return.

The ghost began to explain. He'd rented this cellar from the Imperial Trading Company for several years. He had a hunter for a partner, who would gather venison in the Great Forest, bring it into the City and store it down here. Once a week, a small boat would ferry the meat down to Leyawiin, where he would create his culinary masterpieces.

This arrangement had worked well for quite some time, each of the two doing what they did best, and making a decent profit from it. They didn't meet often, but they didn't need to.

But then it had all gone wrong. The boat arrived in Leyawiin with a cargo of rat carcasses, and no venison. He didn't know what to do!

"For a short time, I was able to serve the rat meat instead, using my heaviest sauces, and in spicy stews, but eventually the customers noticed." he told them "So I came here to wait for Jim, and find out what was going on. When he turned up, he told me he was a goblin now, and stuck a dagger in me. I bled to death here in the cellar, while he ran off. Now I can't rest until I get my revenge on Jim."

"So who was this Jim?"

"Although Jim was my partner, I never knew the rest of his name." the ghost confessed. "I heard that he came from Skingrad, so maybe you'll find out more there."

---

In Skingrad, nobody remembered a hunter called Jim, but one woman mentioned that Ah-Malz and Parwen at the Fighters Guild were both fond of hunting goblins. Since the Argonian had mentioned Jim saying that he was a goblin before he stabbed him, it was at least a clue. They went over to talk to them.

Neither of those two could tell them anything useful, but there they met an Imperial named Fadus Calidius, who told them about a large cave outside town called "Goblin Jim's". This was too much of a coincidence, so they asked him to point it out on the map.

It was nearly half-way to Chorrol, but this was the best lead they'd had so far. They set out straight away.

---

Goblin Jim's Cave had the usual pair of skirmisher guards outside, but they had to deal with a Flame Atronach and a bear as well before they even entered the cave door. The goblins had tribal tattoos on their arms, which made it likely that this was a major settlement, home to a whole tribe of them.

"Remind me why we're here" asked Gudrun, as she re-sharpened her claymore..

"We need Jim, because we need the Argonian to leave the cellar."

"Oh, yes, the cellar. The one I told Ocato we needed as an office. Why did I come up with that idea?"

They headed into the cave, Gudrun carrying a torch and following the Hero down the first passage.

Fortunately, the tunnels were narrow and no more than two goblins could reach them at once. Progress through the warren was slow but steady. There were traps everywhere, but the goblins themselves tripped a lot of them before they could do any harm. Pausing frequently to heal and repair, they continued downward into Whiteskin City.

The second level contained more and nastier goblins, including a war chief that took forever to take down. But still no Jim.

A side passge they'd almost overlooked led to another door marked "Pantry". This turned out to be yet another level of caves, with even more goblins. What appeared to be a house, or at least the frame and roof of one, stood on a ledge. Inside it, they saw the green swirl of an illusion spell being cast and heard a human voice. Something they couldn't see sent a fireball in their direction.

Gudrun and the Hero dodged the fireball in opposite directions, and continued to either side of where it came from. If they kept Jim between them, he couldn't attack both at once with an area spell. But where was he? Gudrun swung her long claymore in a wide arc, just hoping Jim was in range.

She didn't make contact, but he had to dodge out of the way, and couldn't fire off another attack before the chameleon effect faded. They both saw him at once and lunged. Jim shot a bolt of frost from the staff he was carrying, but chose the wrong target. Gudrun's uniform did its job, and the frost shield enchantment nullified the spell. Jim died with a puzzled look on his face.

"I didn't think I'd ever need the frost shield" said Gudrun, when she could breathe again. "Not with a desk job, and not having to ride a bear. Wrong again."

---

Back at the waterfront, the Argonian was pleased to hear of Jim's demise. "Now I can rest, and you can have the cellar."

He walked off as only a ghost can, through the wall.

"Where'd he go?" asked Gudrun, but she didn't wait for an answer. "Well, I know where I'm going, and that's shopping! I'll have to buy new furniture for the place, but Ocato's paying the bills, so It will be nice and comfortable when I'm done. Come back in a couple of days and see what I manage!"

For the next two days he could hear sawing and hammering whenever he passed the door, and a woman's voice giving the workmen orders. Eventually the door was unlocked and she beckoned him inside.

The place was completely transformed. A wooden counter divided the space in two, with a pair of benches on the public side for applicants to wait. A screened-off area at the back concealed a comfortable bed and storage chest, while the other corner held a table, chair and bookshelf. Candle stands in all the corners made up for the lack of windows, Legion banners hid the bare stone of the walls and there was an opulent-looking rug on the floor behind the counter.

"Cozy, isn't it?" asked Gudrun. "I won't mind living here for a while, especially with the Market District shops just across town."

He came back again a few days later and aked how recruiting was going.

"I've had a few men offer to join me, but that had nothing to do with Legion business" she replied. "But no girls. Not even unsuitable ones. There's probably no point being here all the time, so I'll come down from Bruma once a month for a few days. After all, I don't want Timo getting rusty!"

With that, she picked up a number of large bags and headed for the door. Divine Elegance's mark was printed on several of them.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 19 2018, 07:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 21 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Ah, so now two mysteries are explained!

The mystery of the Leyawiin Rat Delight, and the mystery of Goblin Jim.

Hey, both work for me! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 21 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

Of course Weebam-Na couldn't afford to eat there, he just heard the story from the ex-customers, and embellished it a bit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 21 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #52

Paladin
Group Icon

Another fun segment, this one focused on Gudrun and a new office in the IC.

A nice mixture of the familiar and new. smile.gif

'He walked off as only a ghost can, through the wall.'
How perfect is this?!?

"After all, I don't want Timo getting rusty!"
Goodness no! One must take proper care of one's tools.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 31 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm experiencing "Modder's Block" at the moment. I have a quest for the player to fetch some water from the Grove of Reflection at Milchar, but I just can't decide what the problem will be with the apparently simple fetch task. So to distract myself for while I've written up the next tale from the earlier part of the story, as that seems to be well-settled now.

--------------

Heidi's Tale

"Would you believe it? I have a recruit!" exclaimed Gudrun. "Her name is Heidi, and she comes from just over the border in Skyrim. But why don't you let her tell you her story, and see if you think she'll make a good Rider for us. I'd like a second opinion."

Heidi was siiting on the bench near the corner. A Nord as tall and as blonde as Gudrun, a little less tanned, but conspicuously top-heavy to more than make up for it. She stood up and walked over.

"Hi! I'm Heidi. They all call me 'Hidy' Heidi, because everyone notices me, especially the men. I've always wanted to be a Bear Rider, and when I heard that they were recruiting, I came here to apply". She paused briefly before continuing. "I haven't done much riding. I feel wobbly when I'm up on a horse, but bears are wider, aren't they? And I'm really good with a claymore. My Blade teacher says I'm a natural swordswoman. It's just something I can do without thinking about it. Which is good, because I think slower than most."

He asked about the 'thinking slowly' part, and she did so, before replying "Yes, that's my only problem with joining. I don't have good academic qualifications, because I don't do well in exams. It's all because I don't have enough time. I don't get the answers wrong, but I don't finish enough to get good marks. It also means I can't do much magic, because I can't think of the right spell fast enough. Healing is my best, because I can take my time."

She brightened up a little as she added "And I have a good memory for what people say to me, even if I don't understand it at first. That lets me think it over until I do."

Gudrun seemed to think that she might not be right for patrol duties, as you needed to think quickly for that. "I can't see us squeezing her into the regulation cuirass either, although half the Legion would volunteer to help us try!" But it didn't matter, there were other jobs she could do.

It appeared that Gudrun had already decided, and a second opinion wasn't required.

Heidi wanted to know what she would be wearing, if the regular uniform wouldn't fit.

"With her Blade skill, she doesn't need armor so much as support and restraint." Gudrun reasoned "And nothing's better for that than good strong steel. Gin-Wulm in the Market District should be able to make her something like mine, ... only roomier.''

Gudrun gave Heidi a note to take to Gin-Wulm that would authorize him to make a custom uniform, and send the bill to the Legion. "He made mine, so he'll know what's needed".

Heidi headed off across town and went into the Best Defense to find Gin-Wulm. Despite offers of help from both his assistants, the Argonian Master Armorer took her measurements himself. He pulled a pair of boots from a rack and had her try them on.

"Good, that's one item we won't have to make specially for you."

The rest would have to be uniquely crafted, but only the cuirass would take any significant work. She should return in a day, and they would have something ready for her to try on.

Leaving the shop, she paused outside the door and looked around. She could either return to the Waterfront and spend another night at the Bloated Float, or she could look for an Inn here in the Market District. That would save her walking all the way across the city and back, but she didn't really know this area well. She'd have to ask the Legion Guard for directions to an Inn.

Before she could reach the guard post at the gate, however, a well-dressed man came up to her. "I haven't seen you around here before." he said. "Are you new in town?"

Heidi replied that she was, to this part at least, and she was looking for the nearest Inn, so she could rent a bed for the night.

"I was just on my way there for a drink," he said "Let me buy you one, and I'll take you there."

Heidi smiled to herself. This wasn't the first time she'd been invited to the tavern for a drink, and it wouldn't be the last. She decided to make the most of the situation. "Lead on".

At the Market Inn, Velus Hosidius showed them to a table in the corner. "Since he's paying, I won't ask for Tamika's 399" she joked, "just an ale will do". The man ordered the same, and they sat down together and started to chat.

--------

The table was full of empty bottles, and they were the only ones left in the bar. Heidi raised her mug, and drank the last of her ale. When she lowered it again, the man had disappeared. Standing up, she walked around the table to find him lying on the floor next to his chair.

"I'll be needing a room for the night" she announced to Velus "And I'll pay for that myself, since he won't be sharing." She passed across the twenty drakes for the room, and walked up the stairs, with only the slightest unsteadiness.

Velus watched her appreciatively and chuckled. It's not easy to out-drink a Nord, but the fool had tried it anyway. He'd spent a lot more than he'd expected in the process, without getting anything but tomorrow's hangover.

-------

As she sat eating a sweetroll the next morning, Heidi was thinking about something strange the man had said. He was slurring his words a lot by then, and his small-talk wasn't really worth listening to, but she had heard "dawn is breaking". That made no sense to her, and she resolved to ask Gudrun about it when she got back to the office with her uniform.

It was nearly time to go over to the Best Defense and check on their progress. She needed to buy a sword as well, so her first stop was at "A Fighting Chance", just next door to the Inn. She told Rohssan that she needed a Silver weapon. "Legion standard?" she asked.

"Yes," replied Heidi, "but I need a claymore, not a longsword. It's for the Mountain Riders"

Rohssan showed her a selection, and she picked one that was slightly longer than the others. It felt well-balanced, and as she swung it a few times, Heidi knew that this was the right choice.

"Looks like you're handy with a blade" Rohssan remarked. "Not many are that quick with a two-hander."

Despite the flattery, Heidi haggled hard and got a good price. Then she set off across the street to the Best Defense.

Gin-Wulm had not only made her armor already, but it fit perfectly without needing any adjustment. The steel he'd used was thin and light, with a slight blue sheen. It had a comfortable lining built in, so she wouldn't need to wear anything underneath it. The lower half was somewhat minimal, but she wouldn't get arrested. Not that there was a lot to the top if you took off the pauldrons, but it provided all the support she needed.

It would need to be enchanted as well, or even a Nord like her would feel the cold, and that would provide further magical defense. She'd have to take it to the Chironasium at the Arcane University for that, but Gudrun hadn't provided the orders yet. Thanking Gin-Wulm again for his efforts, she headed back to the Waterfront.

---------

Back at the office, Heidi told Gudrun and the Hero of Kvatch about the events of the previous evening. He recognized the phrase "Dawn is Breaking" and asked her to accompany him back to the Inn to look for the man. On the way he told her what he knew about the Mythic Dawn and their plot.

Velus Hosidius at the Merchants Inn remembered Heidi, but not the man she was with. He'd had his back to the bar, and Velus had been more intent on watching Heidi anyway. After Heidi had gone upstairs, the stranger had been carried out by two other men. Velus didn't recognize any of them. "At least they paid," he remarked.

No-one else remembered the man. Heidi had drawn everyone's attention, and he'd gone almost unnoticed. The trail had gone cold. Back to the Waterfront.

"We'd better keep looking for him. Heidi can stay here and take over the recruiting duty as her cover." Gudrun had the beginnings of a plan. "It will leave her plenty of time to look around the city in case the agent re-appears. Besides, I've done all the shopping I need to for a while. It's her turn!"

So Heidi moved in to the Waterfront office, and Gudrun headed back to Bruma, with another collection of bags.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 19 2011, 10:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 31 2011, 02:53 AM
Post #54

Paladin
Group Icon

Yay! Slow thinking, hard drinking, wobbly Heidi! A nice introduction to her!

Nit: 'Not that was a lot to the top, if you took off the pauldrons, but it provided all the support she needed. '
This is unclear. Inserting the word 'there' between 'that' and 'was' and deleting the first comma will clarify it I think: Not that there was a lot to the top if you took off the pauldrons, but it provided all the support she needed.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 31 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #55

Master
Group Icon

Just got done reading all of them, good back story. I am looking forward to the completed mod.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Mar 31 2011, 04:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 6 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

GAAAH!!! Your links are broken to the mod now!!

Timo's Tale is hilarious !!!

Gudrun has me in stitches with all her shopping !!! This sounds great so far !!! I've seen your bears in action in one vid, but they were acting up that day, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 6 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 6 2011, 04:40 PM) *

They were broken, because I temporarily had no fixed IP address. I have fixed that and you can now find everything again via ghastley.org*. I have already updated the links in my posts, but I can't change the quoted versions in others' posts. There are a few updates to the content, but it will be clear what's still in progress, as quite a few of the quests will just be outlines.

*Yes I registered a domain and connected that to my new fixed address.

http://ghastley.org/oblivion/docs/bear_riders.html

see also Gweden Brothel - I started building that mod after the Riders' one, but it's close to full release now, just needing a few bugs squashed.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Apr 6 2011, 11:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 6 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #58

Councilor
Group Icon

Looks great, ghastley!! Lots of fun. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 11 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 6 2011, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 6 2011, 04:40 PM) *

They were broken, because I temporarily had no fixed IP address. I have fixed that and you can now find everything again via ghastley.org*. I have already updated the links in my posts, but I can't change the quoted versions in others' posts. There are a few updates to the content, but it will be clear what's still in progress, as quite a few of the quests will just be outlines.

*Yes I registered a domain and connected that to my new fixed address.

http://ghastley.org/oblivion/docs/bear_riders.html

see also Gweden Brothel - I started building that mod after the Riders' one, but it's close to full release now, just needing a few bugs squashed.

Thanks !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 1 2011, 02:00 AM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Mod construction is progressing and I've made a few updates to the "wiki" on the site. Latest addition is loading screens using this picture.

IPB Image

I'll be using it for the Riders Lodge, and the Valus Passage cave, with different texts. Trying to come up with one for the SI part, where I've added a ruin or two.

I'm getting close to having it playable enough for some people to test if they'd like. There are a couple of quests that have no real conclusion, E.g. After the Oblivion gates are sealed with Order Crystals, what happens next? However, it should be playable enough to get the feedback I need to complete it. And when the stories all connect, I can write it all up here.

This post has been edited by ghastley: May 1 2011, 02:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:05 PM