3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood of the Kyn, Volume I
Dantrag
post Feb 5 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, after some unfinished stories and a long hiatus, I'm back in this territory of the forums. Not that anyone should care. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my latest creation.

Prologue

It was a dark night, and the rain fell in sheets over the town of Cheydinhal. Unbeknownst to the gate guards, a cloaked, shadowy figure climbed the stone wall on the other side. He sat perched on the wall for several seconds before jumping to the ground below, using the loud pitter-patter of the rain to cover the sound. Swiftly and silently he ran, clutching a package tightly wrapped in a gray cloth. He reached his destination in a matter of seconds, and after lifting the grate up, he descended into the darkness of a well.

He was welcomed at arrow point.

"I need to speak with Vicente," he said in an otherwordly voice from the shadows of his cowl. He turned his side to the woman in front of him, shielding his cargo should she decide to fire.

The archer, who was a Bosmer woman dressed in the typical black leather armor and hood of the Dark Brotherhood, fumbled for a response. Before she could give one, a hand from behind rested on her shoulder. Taleandril looked to see that it was Vicente Valtieri himself, the oldest member of their specific chapter of the Dark Brotherhood, due to his vampiric nature.

"Don't worry, Taleandril, I'm expecting company," Vicente said reassuringly. Taleandril gave the visitor one last glare before going about her business.

"Let us go somewhere more private," the vampire suggested, leading the way through the dark, damp corridors until they reached Vicente's quarters. There was no door or any other typical way of creating privacy, but the other assassins seemed to respect the vampire's space and gave him a wide berth. There was not a soul near enough to overhear anything that might be said.

"Kyzra, old friend! What brings you from Oblivion?"

"Trouble," Kyzra replied, removing his soaking wet cloak, revealing his black and red skin, horns, and armor that marked him as a powerful Dremora. He sat down at the small table across from the vampire assassin.

Vicente gave him a questioning glare. Anything Kyzra believed to be trouble must be dangerous indeed. The two of them had been through much together, though most of it had been a hundred years or more ago, and Vicente could not remember a time when the Kynmarcher had feared anything.

"I have disgraced the clan and insulted Lord Dagon himself. I will not live long, I assure you. Even my own armies have abandoned me, and my most trusted Kynreeve has taken my rank and title."

The vampire stood angrily, "You would bring an entire Dremora fiefdom here? Endanger me and my brothers and sisters?"

"You owe me!" Kyzra shouted, his booming Dremora voice echoing througout the halls. Just then, the bundle he carried made a sound. It cried loudly. Vicente's rage was put to a halt as he wrapped his mind around this new development.

"It is my son," Kyzra explained, "Half Dremora, half dunmer. I want you to take him; I cannot bear for him to die for my mistakes."

"That was your disgrace, then? A dunmer woman?" Vicente asked, sitting back down.

"She was only the half of it," Kyzra replied cryptically, "Will you take him?"

Vicente nodded, taking the infant from the Dremora Lord, "I will warn you, I am no parent."

"As long as he lives, Vampire, I do not care how you raise him. Just promise me one thing."

"If it is within my power."

"Never tell him my name, never speak of me."

Vicente nodded in silent understanding. Kyzra stood and began to exit.

"What is his name?" Vicente called after him.

Kyzra paused for a short moment, as if he had never thought of the answer to that question. "Azyrek," he finally said, "Azyrek."

He left the hideout without another word. Azyrek cried all night long.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
canis216
post Feb 5 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

Fascinating.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 5 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Wow, this is a prologue that definite sinks the hooks in. I want to read more.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Feb 5 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

Great prologue. If the rest of the story is like that, then I'm sure we have a new hit on our hands. Keep up the great work!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Feb 5 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice opener.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 6 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

This sounds interesting.

And of special note, if anyone has read "Racial Phylonology" (I think it's called that.) it's is hinted that Daedra/Mortal unions may well be possible. The book states that such unions 'have been reported' though never confirmed.

After all, who would admit to being a daedra in a plane(t) that equates them with demons. No, daedra are not demons people, read the lore, a bit more.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Feb 6 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dantrag @ Feb 5 2008, 04:08 AM) *

Well, after some unfinished stories and a long hiatus, I'm back in this territory of the forums. Not that anyone should care. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my latest creation.

Why wouldn't we care? This is some nice work! The only thing I would say bad about it is that it's too short for my taste....

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 6 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #8

Agent

Blast! This is so interesting and I just want to read more!!!
Very nice prologue!

There better be more!!! lol
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Feb 6 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

Um, nobody said Daedra were demons Black Hand.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 6 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Danny! Great to see more of your excellent writing! Now this is interesting, a child being the offsring of a Dremora and some Dunmer maiden....that's a real treat!

I can imagine Azyrek's life is going to be....well if not easy, very interesting...

This prologue is very well written and leaves just enough unanswered questions to trigger the urge to learn more....

Go for it Danny!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 7 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

Yay, Danny's back! And what a promising start this is. I look forward to seeing more. And add me to the list of those who are happy to see you....

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Feb 21 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 1 - A Bloody Message

Azyrek appeared as nothing more than a dark shadow as he made his silent way towards the luxurious Tiber Septim Hotel. It was past midnight and no one bore witness as he stepped inside. His heart pounded furiously as he crept upstairs towards the rooms. He wore the typical garb of a Dark Brotherhood assassin, a black leather suit of armor and a dark cowl pulled low over his face, hiding his unusual features. His skin was a dark gray with pointed markings scattered upon it, his eyes were dark orange, and though they were covered by shoulder length black hair, he had two small horns protruding from his forehead.

After spending the entire sixteen years of his life training in the dark corridors of the Sanctuary, Azyrek was eager to complete his first assignment with no mistakes. The contract was a complicated one, and Azyrek could hardly believe that it was being trusted to a novice.

His mission was to creep into the room of Llether Salam, a dunmer from Morrowind with a Morag Tong writ on his head. The Morag Tong was not recognized as a legal organization in any other country save Morrowind, but that did not stop them from chasing down victims across boundaries. They were also the mortal enemies of the Dark Brotherhood that Azyrek called family all of his life. Once in the room, Azyrek's assignment was simple; protect Llether and slay the Morag Tong assassin. Llether was lucky; the Dark Brotherhood didn't often send assassins to protect their clients. The Dark Brotherhood did not partake in unprofitable business, and therefore rarely wasted resources on protecting people. This particular contract was honored only because the Morag Tong was operating outside their legal area, and thus violating the latest agreement between the two guilds. The Dark Brotherhood was declaring war on the Morag Tong, and he was the bloody messenger.

Azyrek knocked softly on Llether's door four times, and was greeted by a frightened, exhausted old dunmer.

"Lie down on the bed as if you're sleeping," Azyrek ordered, still hiding behind his cowl.

"What now?" Llether asked after doing as he was told.

"Now you be silent and do not move," he answered gruffly.

Azyrek then put out every light in the room and sat down in a wooden chair sitting in the corner directly opposite the door. He waited less than an hour before he heard the clicking sound of a probing lockpick. Knowing his cue, Azyrek moved quickly and silently towards the door and hid to that when the assassin opened the door, he would be concealing his own killer with two inches of solid wood.

The door opened, and the Morag Tong assassin silently sneaked to Llether's side. Azyrek slipped out from behind the door and moved unnoticed behind. Azyrek's dagger made its way into his hand.

It just as easily made its way across the Morag Tong assassin's throat.

Azyrek let the assassin fall to the floor and watched only for a second as a crimson pool formed on the most expensive rug he had ever seen. In the assassin's lifeless hand was a crumpled note. Azyrek bent down and picked it up, stuffing it in his pocket as he stood back up and headed for the window.

Llether sat up, looking at the dead assassin with terror, "Vivec's Mercy!" he shouted, both in fear at the sight and relief in being alive.

Azyrek said nothing more to Llether Salam, as he had escaped out the window as soon as he was sure that the other assassin was dead. He landed hard on the stone streets and rolled his ankle, but he had so much adrenaline pumping through his veins at that moment that he hardly cared. His first mission was complete, and so far nothing had gone wrong. All he had to do now was get to the waterfront, swim across the lake to his horse, and ride back to the sanctuary in Cheydinhal. He would become a Murderer in the Brotherhood in less than a day.

About five hours later, at sunrise while riding his horse, Azyrek straightened out the note he had taken and read it. Under the Morag Tong seal it read:

We are watching, halfblood.

Azyrek's eyes widened in a brief shock, and he burned the note with a weak fire spell, shaking his hand vigorously afterwards to get the ash off. The Brotherhood did not need to know everything.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Feb 21 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

Wonderful update Dantrag. According to my predictions, just as good as the prologue. The end was especially stylish however. I really liked the "We're watching half-blood. part at the end. It really makes you wonder what the Morag Tong could have in store for Azyrek and how they found out he wasn't exactly human. Well, Dunmer in his case. I'll be patiently expecting the next chapter.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 22 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Interesting indeed. That was definitely a solid ending to a chapter than seemed to be a bit too easy for our main character. Glad to see that twist tossed in.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Olen
post Feb 22 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice stuff, this is pacing along brilliantly. I'm wandering what will happen next.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 22 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Holy crazy. So the Morag Tong assassin was a martyr for the cause? Makes me wonder, then was the guy being targetted another part of the set up. Who is the mole in the Brotherhood? What, what, what......Lots of questions here. Good stuff.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 22 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #17

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhh..great update! This looks promising indeed....makes you wonder though...

More please???

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 25 2008, 02:14 AM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Cool installment. The Morag Tong "writ" was actually a warning to Azyrek... Definitely bears thinking about.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post May 15 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 1 - A Bloody Message (continued)

"Welcome, Murderer," Vicente greeted as Azyrek descended the ladder that served as an entrance to the Sanctuary, "It is my honor to officially welcome you to the family."

The vampire did not have to ask if the task was completed; Azyrek had been told emphatically not to return until it was.

Azyrek didn't know how to respond, so he gave a weak, "Thank you."

Vicente chuckled, "Come with me to my quarters, Azyrek."

The half-blood followed without a word, and they both sat across from each other, separated by a small wooden table. Vicente couldn't help but be reminded of that night sixteen years ago when Azyrek's father sat in that same seat and gave his final request.

"What am I here for?" Azyrek asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

Vicente shook his head, "No, you've done nothing wrong Azyrek. Quite the opposite, actually. You see, you have been given a special assignment directly from the Listener."

"If it's directly from him, why doesn't he give it to me himself?"

"Don't be silly, child. The Listener deals directly with the Night Mother. She whispers her secrets and her directions to him alone. He has no time to spare speaking with Murderers. You have caught the Night Mother's interest, though, and that should be honor enough. Due to your unusual...heritage, you aren't suitable for assignments that would require more than just simple stealth complete. You are unique. Recognizable. Most would just as soon run from you as speak to-"

"I get it, damn! People don't like to have any sort of dealings with a dremora," Azyrek interrupted, obviously annoyed by the direction Vicente's words were taking.

"Yes, yes, sorry. Anyway, the obvious advantages of having a half dremora in our ranks cannot be ignored. Despite the obvious physical and magickal benefits, there is another. That same recognizable uniqueness I was talking about before I was interrupted could have the potential to strike fear in the hearts of our enemies. You, Azyrek, have been chosen by the Night Mother to be our main weapon in our fight against the Morag Tong."

"I don't get it," he said, "How does being a half-breed make me more able to kill Morag Tong agents?"

"It doesn't necessarily make you more able to do the actual killing, but it will make a much more profound statement to the Morag Tong. To use the Night Mother's words, you are sending them a "bloody message." Imagine the fear you will create in the hearts and minds of those agents! A Dark Brotherhood assassin with daedra blood running through his veins, whose only purpose is to eradicate the Tong. You will become more than just a thorn in their side; most likely a spear."

"Where do I start?" he asked, combining this new information with the letter he had personally received from the Morag Tong.

"Rest now, for at nightfall a horse will be readied for you outside the city gates. You will ride east to Morrowind from there. That is all I can tell you; further instructions will be given to you upon your departure."

A few minutes later, Azyrek lay in his bed, trying to get some rest as Vicente suggested. He found it hard to sleep, however, as he wondered which guild had sent the bloodier message. He was supposed to bring fear to them, but they were one step ahead; Azyrek was already scared of them.

This post has been edited by Dantrag: May 15 2008, 06:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post May 15 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice update, this is moving along solidly and quickly. I like.

You also leave a pleasing nmber of mysteries which have me wanting to read more, so more please. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:58 AM