Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Saving our Saves, Do you save your saves?
Renee
post Nov 11 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I was reading an old forum post Acadian made in the old Beth forums and was rather surprised to learn that Acadian deleted all his old "Acadian" paladin saves once Buffy was created. What a shocker (for me)! Acadian, I was going to message you directly about this, but then I wondered about the entire community.

Who saves their saves? If you delete them, why?

I know Lopov also used to delete all his character saves once his latest character stories were told. Over time I've Persuaded him to keep them around. redwizardsmile.gif PhonAntiPhon also once said he used to get rid of everything once a character story was done: saves, photos, tear the game's mods down, everything!

Because for me, if I got rid of all those old saves it would be almost akin to throwing away old photo books full of snapshots we all used to take with real cameras. sad.gif I'd feel like something was missing. Even if I never return to those characters again. I like having all my old character saves, organized and structured into a variety of folders.

Maybe in the olden days when computers barely had any storage space it might be a good idea to toss those saves. Otherwise, for those who get rid of them, why do you do this?

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Adella
post Dec 2 2021, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Evoker

Hmmm, well, for console gamers the saves are generally not transferable. When you update your platform, or it gives up the ghost, you lose everything.

Even if you do have the computing acumen to pull a save off a console, well it will only be loadable on another console of the same type and in a copy of the same game. So, it is not practicable…unless one simply wants a warm fuzzy feeling knowing an archived flash drive has an unusable old save of a cherished character. A bit like keeping Grandfathers ashes in an urn over the fireplace.

As for me…We keep a progenitor save of my likeness in the Keep where Ralof cuts my binds. Even this gets periodically updated to account for changes in Load Order, and of course if I choose to indulge in a little makeover!

A.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 4 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adella @ Dec 2 2021, 10:33 AM) *

Hmmm, well, for console gamers the saves are generally not transferable. When you update your platform, or it gives up the ghost, you lose everything.

They are transferrable!, well at least for most of the games I enjoy smile.gif I've done it several times, moving about a half-dozen OB, FO, and Sky characters, but only from Xbox to PC. I can teach you (or anyone) how this is done; you just need a special program called Modio.

We can't transfer Playstation games to PC, though. sad.gif I'm not even sure they can be stored on a PC without some weird formatting issues happening. They can be stored on thumb drives, though, and moved later on to another PS3. I know because I've done this in the past, when my original Playstation croaked.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 4 2021, 08:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Renee   Saving our Saves   Nov 11 2021, 02:38 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I was reading an old forum post Acadian made in t...   Nov 11 2021, 02:43 PM
Lena Wolf   I don't keep my saves either. Not even of the ...   Nov 11 2021, 02:47 PM
Acadian   I only play one game at a time - for years at a ti...   Nov 11 2021, 04:15 PM
mirocu   Yay! Another Renee-ish topic! :D When I ...   Nov 11 2021, 05:40 PM
SubRosa   I save almost all of my old saves. The only time I...   Nov 11 2021, 11:18 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   A big part of my problem is restartitis. Whenever ...   Nov 12 2021, 12:46 AM
Renee   Interesting. I am glad I asked the community this....   Nov 12 2021, 02:29 PM
Lena Wolf   Until very recently I only played on consoles, and...   Nov 12 2021, 04:03 PM
macole   Save the saves, yes I do sort of. I have on an arc...   Nov 12 2021, 05:01 PM
Decrepit   For me, it's a mixed bag. With some games I ba...   Nov 13 2021, 08:33 PM
Kane   It all goes once a player arc wraps up. I tend to ...   Nov 19 2021, 03:06 PM
macole   The mention of Daggerfall reminds me that out of a...   Nov 19 2021, 11:08 PM
Lopov   I keep saves of some characters, mostly from Fallo...   Nov 26 2021, 12:46 PM
Arcry   I like the analogy to an old photo album, through ...   Nov 28 2021, 01:20 PM
Renee   I keep all my character saves no matter the game...   Nov 29 2021, 02:20 PM
Lena Wolf   As for me…We keep a progenitor save of my liken...   Dec 2 2021, 04:38 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:02 PM