Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some help..., Deciding on...
DarkHunter
post May 27 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm ABOUT to get Oblivion tomorr... this morning. And I was wondering, after being a sneak a wizard and a warrioir in MW what should I be in Oblivion. I'm stumped and I'd like some Idea's for charaters especially since I don't know whats been taken out...

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
evil_ducky
post May 27 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #2

Retainer

well, i found that the magic interface in oblivion is much better than the morrowind.. at least on xbox... so maybe a wizard would be good. But there are alotta silence spells so a major skill of blade is a must. Restoration helps alot too cause you can heal yourself easily in battle instead of getting those dame potions every 2 seconds. Also, get a skill that has an intelligence governing attribute cause the more magica the better.

P.S. these tips are based on my experiences, so don't get mad at me if you dont like my reccomendations. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 27 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Blade... oh right they took out short swords...

For the rest it's kinda a no-brainer (Telvanni Lord in Morrowind...)
I was thinking wizard cause of the interface... but stealth also has a new interface so...

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

Yeah stealth is pretty good in Oblivion, where you can actually take advantage of shadows and other dark places. Don't think it was like that in Morrowind? There is also a mod out there where you can use water arrows to extinguish candles etc, making it easier to sneak.

Anyway I agree with the above to get a character with lots of magicka/intelligence, since the use of magic is so useful in Oblivion.

--------------------
Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!

Gandalf
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 27 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmmm... Besides Blade (I hate swords... I mean...) What should I use if i'm a mage? I know as a sneak: a dagger with poisons (I take it thats alchemy) and Archery.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Well my 3 favorite magic skills are destruction (speaks for itself), conjuration and illusion. Besides summoning creatures, conjuration is great for bounding blades and armour if you need it. I've made a spell that bounds a full daedric armor for 50 seconds. Usually more than enough for any enemy, and you don't have to carry around heavy stuff.

Illusion is great for commanding creatures and humanoids. I never used that in Morrowind, but only 'discovered' it recently in Oblivion. Cast a command spell on anything in an area where there are several enemies, and they'll all start fighting each other. Repeat if necessary until there is only one enemy left. Great show. biggrin.gif And use invisibility (also illusion) to stay undetected while they fight each other, and/or summon some creatures to make it even more interesting.

A command spell need only last for 5 secs or so, since once the enemies start fighting, they'll fight until death anyway. So Command Creature up to level 25 for 5 secs is fairly easy to cast, but is very effective.

But basically all the magic skills are useful. Restoration and mysticism takes a long time to train, so you could have them as main skills if you don't feel like leveling up too fast. Destruction is also fairly hard to train. The easiest ones to train are alchemy and conjuration, so if you'd like to level up fast you should have those as main skills.

Anyway this the only way I've played Oblivion. If I went for a warrior type or any other I'd probably like that too, so others could probably give tips for other characters...

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 27 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmmmm... So illusion can do that now? I always used it for Chameleon & Ivisiblity in Morrowind...

Conjuration is Funny! Summon a Frost Atronauch (If its still in the game...) and run off and let it either kill everything or get killed. tongue.gif

Have the Destruction spells got any better since Morrowind? (besides the new interface)

This post has been edited by DarkHunter: May 27 2006, 04:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Summon Frost Atronach is indeed still in the game, and it was the one I used the most, definitely (until I reached skill 100 in conjuration and could summon the über Lich). The Frost Atronach can heal itself, and is very powerful. The summon spells you can buy last fairly shortly, so I made my own spells with summon for 60 secs. (Wait until you see (and hear) the Storm Atronach in Oblivion, btw. Awesome! biggrin.gif )

Btw. you should complete the Mages guild initiation quests as soon as possible, so that you can create your own spells at the Arcane University. As soon as you learn a paralyse spell from someone, create your own destruction spell with 1 second paralysation mixed in with some shock, fire and frost damage, and maybe also weakness to those (and weakness to magicka). Paralysation is a bit more realistic in Oblivion compared to Morrowind: the targets don't 'freeze', but instead fall to the ground. So 1 sec paralyse demobilises the targets for 3-5 seconds while they fall down and get back up. Very handy.

And yes, I think destruction spells are much better (as are all spells) in Oblivion compared to Morrowind, since it doesn't take forever from you initiate the spell and until the spell is actually cast. It happens immediately (like with scrolls from Morrowind). And the effects when you cast spells are awesome in Oblivion, I think. When you cast a shock spell, for example, you can see the lightning flashing towards the enemy, and you hear the sound of thunder/electricity, along with nice light effects. Visuals are very much improved in general.

Also remember the shortcut keys. You can assign keys 1-8 to weapons, spells, items etc. Very handy for not having to 'break the realism' by going into the menu system to find spells and weapons several times during a fight. Additionally the menu system is a bit better once you get used to it, imho. Spells are categorised on several pages (ranged, touch and self), so you don't have them all listed on one page.

Anyway, definitely give the command spells a spin, and may the force be with you... tongue.gif

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
Topito
post May 27 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Retainer

My character is based on phisical combat. it can still cast a few spells but hardly ever someone still stands after my first strike with my blade laugh.gif i created an hybrid, you can chose between many pre determined clasess, i created one i liked and even name it (im a Lord Knight cool.gif ). So...as a knight y choose as my main skills: Blade (when you master this you can do a powerful thrust with your blade wich sends your enemys literally back into oblivion tongue.gif ), Armorer (when you master this one it allows you to upgrade EVERYTHING to 125% health, that means an upgrade to your defense values + fast repairs), Heavy Armor (well...that biggrin.gif it doesnt encumbers me anymore so i can run like a rabbit), athletics (kinda screw up with this one, still helps me out to "surprise" enemies with my high speed atack), destruction (its inevitable, i wanted to burn a thing or two tongue.gif ), restoration (so i could heal up myself). Plus to the main six skills you are asked to choose a "star", this is very important for the type of character you are making and what you intend to do with it, i choosed a warrior or something like that wich have me a plus in endurance and strengh. Ohhh and before you can choose all this you are to choose between 3 main classes: Knight, Mage, Stealth type. this also favors your atributes.

It is the first time i play a game from this saga so i didnt had the experience from Morrowind as others may had, still it turned out to be a very powerfull character, not only i slice and cut my enemys as i see fit, that also i throw them a fireball or two when im in the mood. Something i liked from this game is that you can do everything even if it isnt one of your main atributes, of course it will take much more time to master one of those skills and your character only goes up levels when you make progress with your main atributes. I do very well at stealth tactics too, and even better with picklocking biggrin.gif

Any way its your choice, you can enjoy any character you make, hours of enjoyment awaits you wink.gif

This post has been edited by Topito: May 27 2006, 05:44 PM
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 27 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

Topito... I play Morrowind I know what the skill names are (although the removing of short blade surpirsed me...) And you don't say "I created a hybrid" it's called 'Custom class' And also Topito: STOP TREATING ME LIKE A **** ******* NOOB! I know what EVERYTHING IS! I just don't know whats been taken out between Morrowind and Oblivion....... Sorry for going crazy on you like that mellow.gif

Thanks Olav! I plan on taking a staff... (If there still around...)
So there's hotkeys now, eh? This should be... interesting....

This post has been edited by DarkHunter: May 27 2006, 09:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Duncan Frost
post May 27 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Agent

QUOTE(Olav @ May 27 2006, 06:59 AM)
There is also a mod out there where you can use water arrows to extinguish candles etc, making it easier to sneak.

Where? Where? Where can I get it? biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

Well I was pretty sure I found it here, but I can't see it at first glance. Could have been somewhere else then.

Anyway the file I downloaded is simply called TurnoffLights.esp.

I might also have found it here, but there were so many files there now I just couldn't bring myself to search...

In the description it had some reference to the Thief games, if that helps.

This post has been edited by Olav: May 27 2006, 11:28 PM

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
Topito
post May 28 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #13

Retainer

Hey i was just trying to help kvright.gif
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 29 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Note to Topito: People like it better when you're not so consending to them. mellow.gif And explaining EVERYTHING isn't what I asked for, I've played Morrowind so I know what everything is, no need to explain.

I was only really looking for peoples opinion on what to start first.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post May 29 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(DarkHunter @ May 28 2006, 07:04 PM)
Note to Topito: People like it better when you're not so consending to them. mellow.gif And explaining EVERYTHING isn't what I asked for, I've played Morrowind so I know what everything is, no need to explain.

He was just trying to help; a lot changed from Morrowind.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 29 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

mellow.gif There's still no need to explain that I need to choose a star sign... or that I have to choose skills, or which area I plan on concetrating on...

Instead of telling me what I had to choose. Or explaining whats good for who. He could've just told me What the new skills are. And what old ones were taken out...

I apologize again Topito. mellow.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fethenwen
post May 29 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Agent

QUOTE(Olav @ May 27 2006, 08:59 AM)
There is also a mod out there where you can use water arrows to extinguish candles etc, making it easier to sneak.

Wow, that's brilliant! Just like in the Thief games =P
I should try that out.

Oh, and suggestions of what character to be on Oblivion, I'd suggest to be a sneaky character, because there's lots to do as one in Oblivion.
But if you like to try something different, why not a "Bowguy - Wizard" specialized in conjuration. Summon something, run away while your monster does all the dirty work while you shoot from afar =P

This post has been edited by Fethenwen: May 29 2006, 02:49 PM

--------------------
user posted image
let Lara bite you: *click*
+Quote Post
Powerslide
post May 30 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #18

Retainer

You will want to try pure warrior who dabbles in alchemy and work out the kinks from there.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:08 AM