3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Huzzah!, PS3 finally gets the lot!!
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 7 2013, 01:09 AM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

The Dawnguard addition screws with my RP characters. And stage 4 hostility for vampires is gone and they only attack you in vampire lord form. Seriously . . .yellow glowing eyes and a pair of fangs aren't a dead giveaway for vampires? GTFO!

And about Oblivion, I am still quite bitter against the Beth team for screwing up the GOTY edition, though I never even bothered trying to cure vampirism. I hate that we didn't get the Vile Lair. That was a sexy home with a sexy coffin and yummy prisoners!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 7 2013, 01:29 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 6 2013, 01:09 PM) *

Still Ill sacrifice try out my least beloved characters first, and keep all of my pre-disaster Dragonborn saves!!

This is exactly what I would do too. I would either try a character who's lesser-used, or make a 'trial' character.

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 7 2013, 03:02 AM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

The changes to the vanilla game that bother me to the point of not buying Dawnguard for the PS3 are the loss of hostility to stage 4 vampires and the new random event. Possible non-quest spoiler discussion follows.

So if I ever make another vampire character I will do it without Dawnguard. I actually have a vampire who lives in Solstheim. Ive never written a word about her because shes so damn boring. There is no conflict in her life. Im pretty good at filling in the gaps with imagination, but a blood-starved vampire who gets a friendly greeting from the guards and isnt much bothered by the sun? I liked it better when they had to feed or deal with the consequences.

Yikes, that was kind of a rant. tongue.gif I should mention that Dawnguard also has my favorite armor and weapons by far as well as a lot of very cool characters, events, locations, and stuff. And I think that if you try it and decide later to delete it, you can still play old characters whom you did not load while Dawnguard was installed? Is that how it works?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 7 2013, 03:18 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 7 2013, 03:02 AM) *

The changes to the vanilla game that bother me to the point of not buying Dawnguard for the PS3 are the loss of hostility to stage 4 vampires and the new random event. Possible non-quest spoiler discussion follows.

So if I ever make another vampire character I will do it without Dawnguard. I actually have a vampire who lives in Solstheim. Ive never written a word about her because shes so damn boring. There is no conflict in her life. Im pretty good at filling in the gaps with imagination, but a blood-starved vampire who gets a friendly greeting from the guards and isnt much bothered by the sun? I liked it better when they had to feed or deal with the consequences.

I can rant and write a paragraph on how I agree, but I'll just agree.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Feb 7 2013, 03:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 7 2013, 03:19 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 6 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Yikes, that was kind of a rant. tongue.gif I should mention that Dawnguard also has my favorite armor and weapons by far as well as a lot of very cool characters, events, locations, and stuff. And I think that if you try it and decide later to delete it, you can still play old characters whom you did not load while Dawnguard was installed? Is that how it works?

Oh yes, I forgot about your spoiler. I use a mod that prevents that from happening. When I played a vamp I also used a mod called Better Vampires that allows you to customize the vampire rules, like making people attack you on sight, the sun doing damage, etc... So I tend to forget how it is in the vanilla game.

I cannot say for how it works when deleting a plugin on the PS3, but when you do it on the PC it is not game-breaking. Any plugin-added clothing or weapons vanish. So you might find yourself naked. Any plugin added spells also simply vanish. If you are in a location added by a plugin, you find yourself teleported to the center of the map. In Oblivion that was the Tiber Septim Hotel (which is why that place is sort of haunted. Actors pop up there when the game gets confused about where they are supposed to be). I am not sure where it is in Skyrim. So on the PC it is really no big deal. I imagine it would not be any different on the PS3.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 7 2013, 03:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 7 2013, 04:44 AM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

We watched one of them Youtube videos the other day and the bloke was playing on the x-box...He seemed to have one of those "Extra Content" menus open when he started Dragonborn up...

Is it possible that you could buy Dawnguard and have it only affect your game if you choose to activate it?...Or is that not how it works?...

I only ask because that's how the Download menu on Gran Turismo 5 works...We got a pile of stuff off the Network and it only applied to the boy's game when we went to the Download menu thingie...

The daughter's pretty desperate to play Dawnguard but we're saying no because of the game changing (Possibly breaking - no Ghost Towns please...) things it does...
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 7 2013, 04:52 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 6 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Im pretty good at filling in the gaps with imagination, but a blood-starved vampire who gets a friendly greeting from the guards and isnt much bothered by the sun? I liked it better when they had to feed or deal with the consequences.

I completely agree with this. I thought the sun mechanics were good in Oblivion, feed, and you could walk in the sun. Starve, and you burn.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 7 2013, 05:11 AM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 6 2013, 10:44 PM) *

Is it possible that you could buy Dawnguard and have it only affect your game if you choose to activate it?...Or is that not how it works?...

On the PC yes. It is as simple as checking or unchecking the plugin from the Data Files list. On the X-Box or PS3, I have no idea.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 7 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #29

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 6 2013, 11:11 PM) *

On the PC yes. It is as simple as checking or unchecking the plugin from the Data Files list. On the X-Box or PS3, I have no idea.

We can uninstall Dawnguard or any of the DLC, and I did uninstall Dragonborn from LHM's game (for unrelated reasons) but I also have not been to Solstheim yet, so this did not seem to affect anything. I have no idea what would happen if I were to uninstall DG from his game now that DG has already been started, and is well under way. I'm betting something would get massively screwed up in the long run!

I agree with you Grits, if there were a choice I'd rather have a vampire who gets hated at Stage 4 (or whatever the old system was) then greeted like any ordinary citizen. I like this sort of edgyness, as you may know! ... On the topic of vampire attacks I have mixed feelings...

Pros: they introduce some some spontaneity into villages that (after awhile) start feeling a bit static and stale. Vamp attacks are exciting, and if my char. happens to witness one in the making, it's a good way for me to get my pulse running. I like trying to DO something about it. That's one of the main reasons I like Elder Scrolls: occasional adrenaline rushes that happen when I'm sometimes not expecting them.

Cons: my favorite NPC might get killed in the action. I especially don't like it if I can't do anything about this, too. My char. will wake up, go for a stroll, and find the Redguard who runs the smith in White run dead. indifferent.gif I happen to like some of the NPCs, even if they are rather staid after awhile.

I don't really have a problem with the 'suicide mission' aspect you've mentioned. Yeah, they're not 100% realistic, but neither are people who greet you with exactly the same line day in and day out (I work for Belethor, at the general goods store....). One of the coolest things about Oblivion are NPCs like City Swimmer, who just flip out in the middle of the village square! .... But after City Swimmer (and a couple other NPCs) are dead, there aren't really any moments of spontaneity. This is what I like about the vampire attacks.

Thank you. *sits down*

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 7 2013, 02:12 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 7 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 7 2013, 08:07 AM) *

My char. will wake up, go for a stroll, and find the Redguard who runs the smith in White run dead. indifferent.gif

Adrienne? She is an Imperial. A lot of people mistake her for a Redguard though.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 7 2013, 06:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 7 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 7 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Adrienne? She is an Imperial. A lot of people mistake her for a Redguard though.

Doh!

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 8 2013, 04:45 AM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

OOoh!! Ooooh!!...

Question from th'wife...

Can you go to Solstheim even if yer not doing the MQ?...Along with worrying about vampires with Dawnguard, she doesn't want to have the dragons threatening places if that's the only way she can play Dragonborn...(She does worry so... wink.gif )...

I'm quite looking forward to flattenning Miraak the Part-Face... biggrin.gif ...I'm the Dragonborn!!...No I am!!...And so's my wife!!...

(provided you can go etc)...

Still...We will be able to build houses!!...

EDIIIIT!!!...When say she wants to play Dragonborn, she wants to go exploring and do the side-quests...She cares not for the MQ aspect of it...

Thank you...*Bows*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 8 2013, 05:34 AM
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 8 2013, 06:11 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Good questions...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 8 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 7 2013, 10:45 PM) *

OOoh!! Ooooh!!...

Question from th'wife...

Can you go to Solstheim even if yer not doing the MQ?...Along with worrying about vampires with Dawnguard, she doesn't want to have the dragons threatening places if that's the only way she can play Dragonborn...(She does worry so... wink.gif )...

Yes, there is a new boat at the Windhelm docks that will take you to Solstheim even if the MQ is not active. (Its mentioned in a loading screen.)

I dont want to spoil even the slightest thing about Solstheim, because I loved discovering it so much. I watched The Girl play first for a while without the MQ. Then when I finally had a character go there I had tears rolling down my face when they arrived. Im curious to hear everyone elses experience. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 8 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Also, will those priests ever bother me if I go Solshteim? I don't want to even have a hint that my character is dragonborn since I already have a certain character that is. The rest do seperate things unrelated to the main quest.

Plus, Majni and the Frostmoon Pack! Aww yeah!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 8 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

DE, Ill PM you. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 8 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 8 2013, 11:28 AM) *

Yes, there is a new boat at the Windhelm docks that will take you to Solstheim even if the MQ is not active. (Its mentioned in a loading screen.)

I dont want to spoil even the slightest thing about Solstheim, because I loved discovering it so much. I watched The Girl play first for a while without the MQ. Then when I finally had a character go there I had tears rolling down my face when they arrived. Im curious to hear everyone elses experience. biggrin.gif

Excellent!!...Thank you... biggrin.gif ...

I'm really looking forward to it...Which, considering my usual ambivalence towards Skyrim says something for it... laugh.gif ...

Ah, now, very importantly...

Can we build a house there?... huh.gif ...

biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 8 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 7 2013, 10:45 PM) *

Can you go to Solstheim even if yer not doing the MQ?

I'll second the "yes". Haven't done this yet, though. Could you imagine how much it would suck if we were forced to do the MQ just to go there? rolleyes.gif Well, it would suck for those of us who avoid the MQ.

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 8 2013, 06:28 AM) *

I dont want to spoil even the slightest thing about Solstheim, because I loved discovering it so much. I watched The Girl play first for a while without the MQ. Then when I finally had a character go there I had tears rolling down my face when they arrived.

Sweet!
Yeah, I've only heard good things about it. There was a thread over at Bethsoft in which long-term Morrowind gamers/OB Skyrim haters (ya know, the type of gamers who hate anything after TES: III...) were giving the thumbs up on most aspects. Not that I need an endorsement from these sorts, but if they are being impressed by it, that's a good sign in a way. They were basically comparing Bloodmoon's version to the new one, and were mostly saying good things for a change.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 8 2013, 01:59 PM
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 8 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(The Lady Saga)
Could you imagine how much it would suck if we were forced to do the MQ just to go there?

As opposed to the several other ways that Bethesda try to push you into the MQ during the main game?... biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 8 2013, 02:00 PM
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 8 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 8 2013, 07:43 AM) *

Ah, now, very importantly...

Can we build a house there?... huh.gif ...

biggrin.gif ...

LOL. That would be a thread for mods and PC gamers. tongue.gif

But Ill give this non-spoiler hint about finding temporary housing: strongboxes are safe storage. hehe.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:15 PM