Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Old Habits Die Hard, Can an old dog learn new tricks?
haute ecole rider
post Mar 17 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

This is the story I have been posting on the Unnamed Forum. I'm in the process of moving it over here for those who have not yet seen it. Enjoy!

Chapter 1.1a Escape

Waking up vomiting nothing but a small amount of bile, I gagged on the burning in the back of my throat. Coughing the last of it from my mouth, I curled on my right side on the foul cot, knees drawn to my chest. The rough wood of the cot’s frame pressed into my cheek. The smith’s hammer pounding on the inside of my skull sent stars shooting across the backs of my eyes. Grinding the heels of my hands into my closed lids in an attempt to drive the lights away only made the damn hammer pound even harder. Groaning, I turned until I lay on my back, opening my eyes.

Ignoring the taste of moldy stones on my tongue, I gulped down deep breaths of the damp air. The stars subsided as I stared at the stone blocks rising into the gloom above my head. The hammering slowed to once every shaky breath. Raising my thin wrists, I looked at the iron shackles encircling their ache. The prominent veins in the backs of my hands disappeared as the blood drained from them. Turning them so their palms faced me, I studied the ghosts of rough calluses, dark skin pale in the dim light of the window above my head.

Shouting. Clashing of steel on steel. A dark room spinning around me. Pitchers breaking, fluid flying everywhere. The helmed face of the Legion rider before me, his gauntleted hand holding my shoulder in an implacable grip, shouting something at me. My empty hands between us, palms facing the rider, my voice drowned by the chaos around us. Then the cold night air, my bare feet cringing from the rough cobblestones. Falling through the paving into darkness.

“Ach, what happened?” I muttered softly to myself. In spite of my whisper, the smith’s hammer pounded hard for a couple of heartbeats before slowing down again. Struggling to a seated position, I ignored the familiar stabbing pain in my left side, the hard throbbing in my right knee. Scooting my rump along the cot, I reached the pitcher sitting on the rickety table at the foot of the cot. Looking into the mug next to it, I grimaced at the dirty fluid inside. Picking up the pitcher, I raised it to my lips. Trying to avoid tasting it, I gulped the stale water hurriedly. Taking another mouthful and setting the pitcher down, I rinsed my furry teeth with it. Rising to my feet and leaning my right hand on the wall, I limped to the privy at the rear of the cell, spitting the foul water out.

“Awake now, are you, pretty Redguard?” the sarcastic, biting voice sounded behind me. Shooting a glare over my shoulder, I took in the barred door, the Dunmer in his cell across the way. “How do you like your cell?” he continued, his voice still mocking. Pretty, am I? Disheveled, filthy, thin and weak - no, pretty would be the last word I’d use to describe myself.

Turning around, I took a limping step through the trickle of faint moonlight falling from a window too small to show stars. Another limp took me past the table, its pathetic candle shedding little additional light. One more step brought me to the cell door.

“Roomy enough for you?” the mocking continued as I studied the Dunmer. He looked as unhealthy as I felt. Turning away from him, I limped around the small room, hunched against the sharp pain in my left side. Nausea roiled in my stomach, and my muscles quivered uncontrollably, their former strength forgotten. “I can’t even imagine what it’s like for you,” the other’s voice followed me on my limited perambulation. “No more sunshine, no more open seas. Just a box and a dirty sunbeam for the rest of your sorry life. Bet you’re glad it won’t last long, eh?”

“What?” I returned to the barred door, squinting at the Dunmer across the way. “I won’t be here long?” my voice cracked, weak in my still-burning throat. My dry lips split as I spoke.

“Oh, didn’t you know?” The Dunmer’s voice turned bitter along with his faded red eyes. “They put you here to forget about you. They don’t care if you die, Redguard.” His sharp-edged voice grated on my already raw nerves. The sound of a bolt being drawn back, a heavy door creaking open somewhere down the passage reached us. “Hear that Redguard?” the Dunmer’s tone became strident. “They’re coming for you!” He drew back into the shadows of his cell as I heard voices.

“Tell me what happened to my sons,” an old man’s voice reached me, heavy with grief.

“Sire, all we know is that they were attacked,” a woman’s voice, clipped with authority and respect, responded as booted steps drew nearer the cells. “We must hurry, Sire, we need to get you to safety.” I heard the slightest undertone of anxiety in her voice.

A tall figure, clad in steel armor with blue enamel and brass trim marking him as one of the Blades, lifted his torch at me. He stopped outside my cell, his Redguard features scowling at me in the guttering light. The woman, a little shorter than I and clad in the same armor, paused at the sight of me. Her blue eyes sparked angrily beneath the helm. “This cell was supposed to be empty!” she exclaimed softly under her breath.

“I don’t know, Captain,” the tall Redguard shrugged, keeping his cold black eyes on me. “Some mix-up with the City Watch.”

“It doesn’t matter,” the captain responded. Beyond her, another armored figure and an old Imperial man in royal purple robes appeared. The third Blade matched my height, and like me, turned out to be Redguard as well.

“Prisoner!” the captain’s voice crackled between the stone walls. My back straightened involuntarily, painfully, at the unmistakable command in the woman’s voice. “Stand back beneath the window!”

Although I had been out of the Legion for four years, old habits die hard. Complying with her order, I limped to the back of the cell, behind the moonbeam. The captain unlocked my cell door while I squinted through the grey light. Opening the door, she stepped back to let the other two Blades enter. The tall one advanced to stand between me and the others. Sensing his dislike of me, thick as molasses in a Skyrim winter, I accepted it, as I accepted the captain’s authority, since I could do nothing else.

“Watch the prisoner, Glenroy,” the captain ordered, moving to the side wall opposite my cot.

The slim sword whickered as Glenroy drew it. “Aye, Captain,” he growled, turning the blade so it shimmered in the moonlight between us. “You stay where you are,” he snarled at me. “Don’t even breathe.” Breathing slowly and shallowly, I stayed put. Looking past him, I regarded the other Redguard. Standing at ease near the door, his impassive expression scared me in its implacability. Years of combat in the Legion had taught me that the most deadly enemies are the ones you can’t read.

The captain started muttering under her breath, and I felt the unmistakable tingle of magicka shimmer over the plain rock face. Catching my breath, I realized the captain was a Breton, with high innate magicka. Probably trained as a battlemage.

The old man, his dark fur-lined robe a shadow in the shadows of the cell, stepped past the impassive soldier and peered at me, his sad eyes puzzled. “Come closer,” his voice smoothing from a grieved coarseness to a commanding tone.

Glancing at Glenroy, I hesitated, but he fell back to stand beside the old man, keeping his blade between me and the other. Acutely aware of the shimmering sword, I stepped forward into the light.

The old man’s eyes widened. “Ah, yes, I’ve seen you before.” His dark gaze held mine, once again becoming sad and resigned. “That means today is the day, and the hour is near.” Suddenly aware that the smith’s hammer had stopped pounding in my head, I stared at the old man.

Licking my dry lips, I remembered how the captain had addressed him. “Pardon me, Sire?” He can’t be - no, not the Emperor, not here, not in my cell! My eye fell on the large red amulet on his brocaded chest. The Amulet of Kings? The Emperor! Stiffly against the pain in my left side, I bowed. “How may I serve you, Sire?” Old habits die hard, very hard, indeed. Looking up, I saw a faint smile touch Uriel Septim’s eyes.

“I have served Tamriel all my life,” he answered. “You too, shall serve Tamriel in your own way. But you have your own path to follow.” His eyes grew even darker. “Be warned, though. There will be blood and death before the end.”

“Blood and death are not new to me, Sire,” I spoke softly, surprised by the weariness I heard in my cracking voice.

The wall of my cell crumbled beneath the captain’s hands, falling away in a cloud of dry, choking dust. A passageway appeared beyond. “Sire,” her voice cut between us. “We must go now, there is little time.” She disappeared into the darkness beyond the jagged stone edges.

Glenroy turned the top of the slender blade toward me as the Emperor started toward the opening. “What of the prisoner, Sire?”

“Leave her be,” the command voice was quietly unmistakable as Uriel Septim stepped through the opening, following the captain. “Her path may yet lie with ours.” Glenroy gave me one last glare, sheathing his sword and following the Emperor. The third Blade turned his back on me and brought up the rear.

Listening to the sound of their booted feet fading away, I glanced around the cell again. Something coiled in my belly, just below the breastbone. On my discharge from the Legion, I had once hoped to find peace and health after decades of blood and death. Peace and health had avoided me, and now a mere hint of blood and death had found me.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
haute ecole rider   Old Habits Die Hard   Mar 17 2010, 09:57 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 1.1b Escape Looking down at myself, I sa...   Mar 17 2010, 10:04 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 1.2 - The Tunnels Akatosh must be sitting...   Mar 17 2010, 10:11 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 1.3a - The Assassination

Sl...   Mar 17 2010, 10:24 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 1.3b Assassination

Still st...   Mar 17 2010, 10:32 PM
treydog   Every time I read this story I like it more. The ...   Mar 17 2010, 10:42 PM
SubRosa   Angela Bassett erm, Julian has come to Chorrol...   Mar 17 2010, 10:46 PM
Acadian   WooHoo! I am delighted to see Julian over her...   Mar 17 2010, 11:02 PM
mALX   Yeah! Hauty and Julian!   Mar 17 2010, 11:48 PM
haute ecole rider   Thanks, treydog, for your affirmation of my story....   Mar 18 2010, 12:02 AM
Destri Melarg   Julian is here too? I am running out of reasons t...   Mar 18 2010, 04:34 AM
Winter Wolf   Julian is here at Chorrol. Yipppeeee!!...   Mar 18 2010, 05:47 AM
mALX   Julian is here at Chorrol. Yipppeeee!!...   Mar 18 2010, 08:38 AM
Zalphon   Julian is here at Chorrol. Yipppeeee!!...   Mar 19 2010, 02:59 AM
Winter Wolf   mALX, you know my feelings about our loveable Maxi...   Mar 18 2010, 09:13 AM
Olen   I just read through this and I like it. The chara...   Mar 18 2010, 10:48 PM
haute ecole rider   Thanks, Destri, Winter Wolf, and Olen for your com...   Mar 19 2010, 09:00 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 2.2 The Black Road The sun stood close to...   Mar 19 2010, 09:05 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 2.3 Weynon Priory The sun was low in my e...   Mar 19 2010, 09:11 PM
haute ecole rider   Chapter 2.4: Jauffre Jauffre rose from his desk a...   Mar 19 2010, 09:15 PM
Fiach   wow 2 chapters already :) this is pretty damn g...   Mar 19 2010, 09:21 PM
Olen   This one's coming fast anyway. And it's g...   Mar 19 2010, 11:24 PM
SubRosa   I am not sure if I have said this before, but yo...   Mar 20 2010, 12:10 AM
mALX   ARGH! I lay out sick and you have filled your...   Mar 20 2010, 06:59 AM
Destri Melarg   I hope you aren't rushing through the re-posti...   Mar 20 2010, 08:42 AM
SubRosa   I hope you aren't rushing through the re-post...   Mar 20 2010, 06:29 PM
haute ecole rider   @ all: Thanks for the support and encouragement. I...   Mar 23 2010, 08:42 PM
mALX   Your stories always make the reader feel they are ...   Mar 23 2010, 09:08 PM
Destri Melarg   Now that I have broken my fast on bread with butte...   Mar 23 2010, 10:04 PM
SubRosa   Ahh, nothing like a hearty breakfast to get a stor...   Mar 23 2010, 10:10 PM
D.Foxy   Ahhh I forgot to comment in this yesterday. Wund...   Mar 24 2010, 02:43 AM
mALX   I hope everyone is keeping up with the updates of ...   Mar 24 2010, 03:36 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Thanks for the blurb. Check back later in t...   Mar 25 2010, 07:33 PM
mALX   I loved this one before and now. It was well worth...   Mar 25 2010, 07:43 PM
Olen   Brilliant. I like the character, she has weakness...   Mar 25 2010, 10:53 PM
SubRosa   Hi Paint! :) It is good to see one of my fav...   Mar 26 2010, 12:07 AM
Destri Melarg   One can learn a great deal about horses and horsem...   Mar 26 2010, 01:11 AM
D.Foxy   Although I have ridden horses, donkeys, camels and...   Mar 26 2010, 12:18 PM
Winter Wolf   PAINT!!!!! My favourite chara...   Mar 26 2010, 04:45 PM
haute ecole rider   Thanks to all who are reading this the second time...   Mar 27 2010, 05:15 PM
D.Foxy   then she needs to learn how to ride him (be quiet,...   Mar 27 2010, 05:40 PM
mALX   then she needs to learn how to ride him (be quiet...   Mar 27 2010, 05:48 PM
SubRosa   Yay, its Aelwin. I really liked how you gave him t...   Mar 28 2010, 05:09 AM
Fiach   I loved your decription of Paint and of course the...   Mar 28 2010, 12:28 PM
haute ecole rider   I'm working on screenies - hard to do when I...   Mar 29 2010, 02:56 AM
SubRosa   Looking good! :wub: She could rescue me any d...   Mar 29 2010, 03:09 AM
haute ecole rider   Okay, thanks! This is all new stuff to me. I...   Mar 29 2010, 03:53 AM
SubRosa   There is a little trick to get rid of the blotchin...   Mar 29 2010, 04:39 AM
Destri Melarg   Ahhh, it's Merowald and his accent! I sti...   Mar 29 2010, 10:07 AM
mALX   Woo Hoo! Julian is a HOTTIE !!!...   Mar 29 2010, 04:03 PM
haute ecole rider   Hi all: Thanks for reading and commenting on the l...   Mar 29 2010, 06:00 PM
Olen   You describe the camp well. It always seemed to c...   Mar 29 2010, 06:23 PM
SubRosa   I always liked the people running down the path wh...   Mar 29 2010, 09:43 PM
Winter Wolf   Awesome writing in this chapter. :) You are bre...   Mar 30 2010, 06:22 AM
mALX   SOMEBODY (no names mentioned, COUGH, COUGH) seems ...   Mar 30 2010, 07:12 AM
D.Foxy   But EYE can do it, since I have now preventerd HER...   Mar 30 2010, 07:33 AM
Destri Melarg   The tension in this chapter has been drawn out alm...   Mar 31 2010, 01:24 AM
Remko   Have you changed things? I have the distinct impre...   Mar 31 2010, 05:09 PM
haute ecole rider   @Olen: I've read waaaay too many war stories t...   Mar 31 2010, 10:57 PM
SubRosa   I have read it before, but I was not hopping to ge...   Mar 31 2010, 11:39 PM
D.Foxy   Adolescent poundin (a pudding). There. I filled i...   Apr 1 2010, 02:04 AM
mALX   Adolescent poundin (a pudding). There. I filled ...   Apr 2 2010, 03:28 AM
mALX   Still find myself riveted to the page on this one...   Apr 1 2010, 01:38 PM
Jacki Dice   I just got caught up in your story and I love it s...   Apr 2 2010, 03:02 AM
D.Foxy   No, m'dear. 'Tis the pudding sweet which...   Apr 2 2010, 06:46 AM
Destri Melarg   This is one of my favorite chapters. From the des...   Apr 2 2010, 09:58 PM
haute ecole rider   @ SubRosa, mALX1, D.Foxy: thanks for the comments....   Apr 2 2010, 11:53 PM
SubRosa   The Kvatch Gate. That one always seemed the hardes...   Apr 3 2010, 12:30 AM
Winter Wolf   The way the man shook the cage at the end was perf...   Apr 3 2010, 12:59 AM
D.Foxy   A man I think a Daedra ate the space after your pe...   Apr 3 2010, 01:19 AM
SubRosa   A man I think a Daedra ate the space after your p...   Apr 3 2010, 03:14 AM
mALX   GAAAAAK !!! Great Write Hauty!   Apr 3 2010, 06:51 AM
Destri Melarg   I always marvel at how swiftly Ilend Vonius bolts ...   Apr 3 2010, 07:35 PM
haute ecole rider   @all: thanks for the ongoing support! A warni...   Apr 5 2010, 09:01 PM
mALX   Bleah! I didn't heed the warning, and shou...   Apr 5 2010, 09:06 PM
Olen   Nice update, I like the description of the Gate cl...   Apr 5 2010, 09:30 PM
SubRosa   I think this might be the first time we have seen ...   Apr 5 2010, 10:40 PM
haute ecole rider   @ Olen: Going up through the diaphragm (from the ...   Apr 5 2010, 10:59 PM
D.Foxy   Me see it before and me see it again And second ti...   Apr 6 2010, 01:20 AM
Winter Wolf   The heavy organ dripped clotted blood as I cradled...   Apr 6 2010, 06:29 AM
Destri Melarg   I wonder if eating the heart will make your voice ...   Apr 6 2010, 08:34 AM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Dang, I knew I needed that Surgeon General...   Apr 7 2010, 06:46 PM
Winter Wolf   “I see you have your anvil, a fire, and some hamme...   Apr 7 2010, 07:40 PM
mALX   Ahhhh, Sigrid!! (said like a sneeze) ...   Apr 7 2010, 08:27 PM
haute ecole rider   Ahhhh, Sigrid!! (said like a sneeze) ...   Apr 7 2010, 09:04 PM
mALX   [quote name='mALX' post='113954' date='Apr 7 2010...   Apr 7 2010, 09:10 PM
SubRosa   The opposite of widdershins is deosil (or sun-wise...   Apr 7 2010, 10:16 PM
haute ecole rider   Goneld being left behind was something I rather l...   Apr 8 2010, 12:00 AM
D.Foxy   Sigrid has a face? Oh....YEAH. I only just notic...   Apr 8 2010, 02:36 AM
Destri Melarg   Julian closes an Oblivion Gate and still has enoug...   Apr 8 2010, 09:02 AM
Olen   You caught the feeling of tiredness there, both me...   Apr 8 2010, 01:51 PM
haute ecole rider   @all: I see that Sigrid is fast becoming the favor...   Apr 9 2010, 10:13 PM
SubRosa   I see the polenta has reared its ugly head. :D A ...   Apr 9 2010, 11:11 PM
mALX   Julian and the children, I like the way she is wit...   Apr 9 2010, 11:12 PM
Destri Melarg   Your writing always flows smoothly, and this chapt...   Apr 10 2010, 12:40 AM
D.Foxy   Hmmm, I was looking for more pudenda, myself... ...   Apr 10 2010, 04:04 AM
Winter Wolf   A beautiful quiet chapter before the coming storm....   Apr 10 2010, 04:13 AM
Acadian   This is even better the second time around (referr...   Apr 11 2010, 04:22 PM
Olen   I agree about that being one of the best quiet int...   Apr 11 2010, 04:38 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: If you think the Battle for Kvatch is ha...   Apr 11 2010, 07:19 PM
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:13 AM