Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
treydog
post Sep 18 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

The negotiation was first-rate! You infused Ungarion with a delicious sense of amorality. And Buffy’s understanding of her limits- both as a negotiator and in terms of her refusal to be pushed beyond a certain point- was excellent.

"I'll trust you," I picked up the rings and looked Ungarion directly in the eyes, "after all, I know where you live, and I apparently don't have to tell you how dangerous my bow is."

But I think my favorite "moment of truth" was:

Ok, so I was almost broke (again). And well, yes, I was dealing in black market goods. But I figured at the end of the day, a girl's gotta have what a girl's gotta have.

This post has been edited by treydog: Sep 18 2010, 04:23 PM

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 18 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

I have to agree with Treydog on all counts here. This has always been one of my fave chapters, although now broken into two chapters - Buffy's ability to negotiate, Ungarion's ability to ride the lines of amorality and still be likable, Buffy realizing her own limitations - and her ability to rationalize her actions when they suit - This is Buffy at her most Buffiness !!!!! I love this chapter (these chapters) !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 18 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

I would disagree with Buffy's use of black soul gems if it were not for my Argonain friend's collection of...artifacts. kvright.gif Nevertheless, the negotiations were intense and the final outcome was very nice. I love the feeling of finding/purchasing an item that you have searched for. More soon please. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 18 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

What a girl wants, a girl needs. smile.gif Once again, I simply love how you portray Ungarion as a rather amoral scoundrel. Not to mention a brilliant negotiator. He sort of reminds me of Rhett Butler, only not quite as debonair.

He then quoted a figure that made me grateful I didn't have a mouthful of wine.
This is a wonderful turn of phrase.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 18 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #25

Mouth
Group Icon

Ungarion's attempt to ply Buffy with ‘more wine’ before beginning negotiations is a classic maneuver. I am so glad that she didn’t fall for it.

Then he begins to flatter our Buffy while subtly hinting at knowledge that he could use to blackmail her. Villain!! Thankfully Buffy did not rise to the bait. The way she turned the tables on him reminded me curiously of Michael Corleone talking to Moe Greene . . . ‘take a few days, think of an offer.’

Unfortunately she blows it by giving in to him in the end. But a girl's gotta have what a girl's gotta have!

This post has been edited by Destri Melarg: Sep 19 2010, 12:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 18 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #26

Knower
Group Icon

Once again, you've stolen the will from your readers and enthralled us with your tale.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 19 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

On the other hand, you cannot imagine the risks involved in obtaining these sigil stones.

Julian's nodding her head at this! Her advice to Buffy: STAY OUT!

Loved the rest of this wonderful rewrite. And yes, it's funny how they grow on the rewrites. It's much harder to prune a rose bramble than it is to get it to grow! But the beauty at the center of this chapter is well worthwhile!

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Sep 19 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

I find myself singing Christina Aguilera's "What a girl wants, what a girl needs..."...

tongue.gif

Now this is definitely a well crafted chapter! And, strange to say, I'm actually beginning to like that sneaky and suave Ungarion...

... do, DO write another suave role for him later in the story!!!
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 21 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 29 found Buffy outmatched by the black market merchant, Ungarion. Nevertheless, she emerged with a pair of powerful detect life rings that she considers well-worth the considerable price.

treydog- I'm so pleased that you mentioned everything I was trying to do here. Buffy is all about loyalties to individuals, not organizations. If she does something for her guild, it is because of loyalty to the individual friend who asks, not loyalty to 'the guild'. Therefore, threat of being 'kicked out of her guild' did not carry the leverage perhaps Ungarion thought it might.

This will be important as it relates to that gate at Kvatch. Whatever she does will be driven by deep emotional ties to a very real individual, not 'the Empire' or some 'illegitimate heir' she has never met, or even the 'city of Kvatch'. She sees her world as individuals, not groups or organizations.

mALX- 'Buffy at her most Buffiness.' Oh my, we can think of no higher compliment! Thank you so much.

hazmick- Thank you. Buffy used one of the three black soul gems she created to enchant Slayer. She just surrendered the other two to Ungarion. I believe by the time she may actually need another grand soul, minotaur lords (whose grand souls conveniently fit inside Azura's Star) will walk Nirn. So, I don't think we need worry about her going all necro on us. tongue.gif

SubRosa- Thank you. I'm so glad Ungarion came across as I hoped he would!

Destri- Thank you. I so appreciate your observations. Yes, Buffy was clearly outmatched here; yet, I am proud of the few bright sparks she displayed. She will get better at verbal dueling.

Zalphon- Aww. Thanks Z!

Rider- Thank you for the beautiful support! Buffy will listen to Julian. That Oblivion Gate she saw scares her badly. Why won't the darn Legion close it? Surely no one could expect a skinny elf to try? Yet. . . she can't quite forget about the effect being up there had on her. . . and she did promise to go back - someday.

Foxy- Wow! That you are singing 'What a girl wants, what a girl needs', combined with liking Ungarion, means I have succeeded on all counts! I quite like him as well. Another appearance? Absolutely! The likeable old scoundrel will cause some trouble for the distant archery tournament.

All- As Buffy's new detect life rings join Slayer and Azura's Star in her inventory, it marks a milestone. She now carries all the trinkets a self-respecting mystic archer needs to survive. Of course, it will take our material girl another eight or so episodes (and several Daedra Lords) to realize it is courage, brains and skill - not more trinkets - that she needs.

In the meantime, we will jump to another storyline as Buffy negotiates a dark fork in her path. She has often seemed quick to creatively rationalize or justify her actions. How far she is willing to flirt with the lethal aspects of her nature is the subject of our next miniseries, consisting of four episodes. We call it 'Dancing with Darkness'.

30 Dancing with Darkness, Part 1- Vengeance

The sun was well below the walls of Chorrol now, as I patiently waited for full darkness. I was behind The Gray Mare tavern preparing my equipment. This was going to be a one shot, instant kill. I could ill-afford for my arrow to leave enough breath in Earana's body for her to cry out. All my equipment had been chosen for this very purpose.

The black tunic blouse and darkened buckskins I wore would attract the shadows of concealment.

My primary bow, Slayer, was safely stored at the stables, along with my quiver, Superian's saddlebags and tack. From the hidden depths of my magic bag, I now slid out the full length of another grummite bow staff and strung it with a silk bowstring. The weapon had been especially enchanted for this purpose. It would drain Earana's life and add several types of damage - all in massive amounts, but only for a brief moment. The bow's single powerful charge had been easy to enchant with merely the life force of a mudcrab - I only intended to shoot it once.

I had to sell several enchanted items, and craft many potions to afford the single arrow I carried. Ungarion didn't reveal his source, and I didn't ask. It was one of two I had purchased. Its mate had been sacrificed to the Bravil archery target. I had wanted to ensure I was able to account for the extra weight of the arrow and precise twist to the fletching that allowed it to rotate in flight for increased long range accuracy. The black and reddish-gold magic arrow was perfectly straight and immensely powerful.

The thick liquid I now drizzled over the tip of my arrow came from a vial I had found in the knapsack of a bandit. It would ultimately do less damage than the poisons I could make, but had been chosen because it would release its full toxic effect instantly instead of over many seconds.

Finally, there was the spell I had recently created at the University for this occasion. Casting it would temporarily enhance my skills and abilities with a bow.

Everything was ready as the darkness of night slowly settled over Chorrol.

The decision to kill Earana was. . . complicated.

Given the confrontation between us that had marked my Chorrol guild recommendation, I fully believed she would kill me if given the chance. Each time I had subsequently visited Chorrol, the rogue mage's insults had made her lethal intentions clear - restrained only by the presence of the city guard. I feared Earana would prevail in a fair fight. I was merely influencing the inevitable towards my favor. Or so I tried to tell myself.

The truth however was perhaps simpler and darker. I hated Earana for threatening me, and I hated myself for being intimidated by her. I wasn't sure if what I was about to do was driven by cowardice, vengeance or preemptive self-defense. Likely, all of these things.

Stepping out from behind The Gray Mare, I could see the flickering lamps that lined the street up to the Great Oak. It was now dark enough to remain unseen.

Chorrol erupted with several pink glows as I slipped on the pair of rings that could detect life signs. I lifted my fist and released a spell that would extend my range across the entire city.

My attention was focused on the solitary glow near the Great Oak. From studying her movements over several days, I knew this was Earana. She would be alone for a few minutes while the guard made his predictable rounds.

I moved several paces to the spot I had chosen for its unobstructed view of my target area. After casting the spell to boost my abilities, I nocked the deadly, poisoned arrow and brought it to bear.

This was long range all right. I enhanced my focus, and pulled the Altmer into view. The wind was calm. No high obstacles would prevent the considerable aiming offset above her head that I would need. I was still unseen and wrapped in shadowy darkness. There were no nearby glows to see the arrow or hear the twang that my bowstring would release into the quiet night.

"Goodbye, Earana," I whispered.

At a well-practiced point in my breathing cycle, I paused. The fluid sequence that followed was the result of muscle memories developed through years of bow hunting. The bowstring came back to my ear, the arrow's tip found its final aim point well above Earana's head, and the fingers of my right hand that restrained the arrow uncurled.

The missile disappeared into the darkness of a high arc that would carry it across the city. After what seemed a breathless eternity, Earana was knocked from her feet. The pink glow quickly faded.

I very briefly had an ominous feeling - as if my actions had been observed by forces unknown. No time to think about that now Buffy. I quietly moved along the east wall to quickly offset myself from the line of flight my arrow had traveled.

A few minutes later, I emerged from behind a large boulder. Wearing a blue and green dress now, I carried no bow. It had taken several spells to completely disintegrate Earana's murder weapon.

I walked over to join a growing number of onlookers by the Great Oak.

My arrow was buried almost to its fletching in Earana's chest, and an expanding area of blood was darkening her green silk blouse. A guard, who had just arrived, was kneeling over the body. "There's been a murder! Did anyone see anything?" Those of us in the small group that had gathered, silently shook our heads in response. A pair of additional guards arrived and received orders from the one examining Earana. "Given the body's position, we have no idea where that arrow came from. Tell the gate posts to seal the entire city. I'll wait for Captain Bittneld to show up - I know he'll want this arrow as evidence." The two guards ran for the gates.

I seated myself on a bench under the Great Oak and smoothed my skirt. It had worked. All of it, just as planned. Sealing the city was fine by me; I had no intention of escaping. There was neither bow, quiver nor arrows in my possession. By volunteering to deliver some routine guild paperwork to the Chorrol chapter, I had the perfect cover. Within a couple days, Teekeeus would complete the roster of conjuration spells offered for sale by the Chorrol guild, and give me the forms for return to the University.

By now, the captain of the guard had arrived and more of his men were combing the city for an assassin. Several mages had gathered on the steps of the nearby guild, where I would spend the night. Tomorrow, I would walk the beautiful streets of Chorrol without fear of Earana.

Despite the considerable range, my arrow had not only found the Altmer, it had struck very nearly the center of her chest. I was proud of my skills. In fact I found using them for such a challenge downright exhilarating. I wasn't exactly happy about killing Earana though. Oh, I fully believed my survival had required this act of preemption. . . so why didn't I feel better about it?

I was still wrestling with this when I crawled into bed that night in the Chorrol guild. "Acadian, what's wrong with me? I'm so confused." He had been strangely quiet, as if trying to sort out my actions himself. A paladin would surely know about the things that were troubling me. "Can you help me?" I closed my eyes and opened my mind to him.

Humility. Righteousness. Protect the weak. Honor.

"What does all that have to do with me?" I scoffed. "There are no people who live by those things!"

The rebuke from Acadian came without hesitation, as he forced an image into my mind.

I remembered the incident - a wolf had surprised me long ago. Before I could draw my bow, the beast had closed the distance between us and leapt. The dark gray sanctuary of a heavy shield suddenly intercepted the wolf in midair. With one decisive thrust from a long sword, the animal was dead. The Legion soldier simply stated, "We're here to serve, citizen." Just as quickly he was gone.

Before I had time to fully reflect on this, another image formed. The scene was a memory that had been forever branded into my consciousness. Captain Savlian Matius was charging a Deadra as it emerged from the Oblivion Gate at Kvatch. He was selflessly risking his life to protect the survivors of his city, his men, and . . . even me.

I squirmed, feeling very small. I knew I could never be a paladin or soldier, but maybe I wasn't completely hopeless. "Acadian, you're right about humility. My skills are largely thanks to Daenlin and Boderi. I will try to be more humble. Honor and righteousness? I'm not sure I fully understand. I know I'm loyal to my friends and will fiercely defend them. I would lay down my life for Kud-Ei, City Swimmer, Daenlin, Superian or any of my friends. You know that. Doesn't that count for something?" I waited.

It did indeed.

"Protect the weak?" I continued. "But I am the weak! I need to kill to protect me. Look, I'm pretty fragile, as you well know. I'm also quite poor at defending myself when surprised or confronted at close range." I recalled several instances of barely surviving such encounters, and shuddered. "If I do the 'honorable' thing and wait for someone like Earana to attack first, I'll be dead. Then what would happen to you and Superian?"

By now, I was sitting up in bed. "In order to survive, I need to sometimes preemptively kill a known threat. Can you understand that? Would you let Earana live, and force me to timidly avoid the city of Chorrol? Or walk in fear, never knowing when I might fall to a fireball or lightning bolt? Don't you remember in Anvil, how that rogue mage, Caminalda, almost killed me with a single ice spell? Would you never seek out and destroy an enemy while they are plotting against you in their lair?" I closed my eyes again.

I sensed uncertainty, as the paladin pondered my basket of questions. Then acceptance.

"Thank you Acadian, for understanding." I sighed with relief. "I know my confused thinking is foreign to someone who is strong, brave and familiar with the ways of blades and steel. It's different when you're small and weak though. I may attack without warning from the shadows like a coward, but I'm alive. I really can't think of anyone else I can talk to about such things." I smiled grimly. "I can just see my friend Ardaline dropping her potions right on the floor of the Bravil guild if I asked her opinion about killing Earana."

I felt much better, and hopped out of bed before my thoughts could leave my head. Digging through my pack, I produced my journal supplies. Dipping quill into inkpot, I wrote:

'Sometimes it's necessary to kill someone if I'm convinced they're likely to harm me or my friends. I'm just not built for toe-to-toe fighting; if striking first, even from the shadows is what it takes to survive, so be it.'

Putting my journal away, I returned to bed. As I rolled over seeking sleep, I remembered that feeling I had earlier in the day. 'Observed by forces unknown?' What's that about, Buffy? I had no idea, but the heavy mantle of exhaustion was more pressing at the moment. I was sure I would sleep rather soundly - well, you know, for a murderess.

From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

~ Author's Note: ~

One additional combat multiplier Buffy used in her game for this assassination was switching from a bow to a dagger while her arrow was in flight. The damage multiplier for a sneak attack is based upon the type of weapon equipped when the arrow hits, not when it is launched. This allowed Buffy to enjoy a 6x melee damage multiplier instead of the normal 3x bow multiplier. Although she detailed this in BF 1.0, its logic defies even Buffy's impressive ability to rationalize, so we dropped it from BF 2.0. In keeping with the 'how to' minor aspect of her stories however, we opted to retain mention of it as a footnote. Here is the UESP wiki link that details this cumbersome quirk that can occasionally be useful for very long, planned shots.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Sep 21 2010, 02:38 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Remko
post Sep 21 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #30

Finder
Group Icon

I can relate to her "needing to kil before she is killed." Besides, good riddance of Eerana tongue.gif Save, kill Eerana, rinse, repeat FTW biggrin.gif

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Sep 21 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

The thick liquid I now drizzled over the tip of my arrow came from a vile

...vile...

...vile...

GOTCHA AGAIN Ole friend!!!

A Long, long time ago I caught you out in the 'vile' instead of 'vial" and now...

Hmmm.....

must resist, must resist....

AHH I can not stand it any more....

O.L.D. H.A.B.I.T.S. D.I.E. H.A.R.D!!!!!!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 21 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

BWAAAHAA !!!! I got a sneak preview of the screenie in my email since I set myself as a follower of your photobucket !!!!!! BWAAAHAA !!!!

I got the feeling there were changes from the original in this one - making Buff more vulnerable? I have to go back and re-read the original to be sure, but either way - I like the vulnerability !!! Very feminine !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 21 2010, 03:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 21 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

This brings to mind something a character in a drama I watched recently said:
"Killing is easy. Killing is so easy. What is hard is stepping all over the other person, and never letting anyone step all over you again."

Still, killing is something not to be taken lightly. I'm glad to see Buffy wrestling with the ethical considerations of her actions. Yes, it's good to see that *itch of an Altmer dead (she's just as rude to my PC in-game), and it's good that Buffy lived to enjoy Chorrol without her. But it does something to her spirit. Whether that's good or bad, it will take time to see.

I really liked this version so much better - it had smoother flow and just sang to me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 21 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

You really show Buffy leaving no stone unturned in her preparations to murder Earana. Using the best arrow she can buy (the rifling on the fletching was a good touch, a bow enchanted for just one shot, along with an instant damage poison. Finally, even a Fortify Markswoman spell. She is certainly not taking any chances! Not only do these things show how serious she is in the story, but they are also points to take note upon for people playing the game.

I very briefly had an ominous feeling - as if my actions had been observed by forces unknown.
Dum da dum dum!

Buffy does rationalize her actions quite thoroughly! Granted, she might have been right too... The greyness to the whole thing lends a strong aspect of believability to her character. Real people are rarely shining pictures of virtue. Everyone has their dark side. This is certainly Buffy's!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 21 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

No Buffy, don't go to sleep! argh! sorry about that, i'm just excited about the next chapter is all. tongue.gif
This chapter was awesome, you really showed the tactics, preperation and wrestling with concience that Buffy had to go through before the deed could be done. Hoorah for Buffy and a brief pause for Earana, evil though she was. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 21 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

While I might question Buffy about using a "preemptive strike" in other circumstances, not in these! It reminds me of an unwritten law in Texas (and I imagine other western states)- not that I generally hold Texas up as a moral compass...

Anyway, the situation was this a man was on trial for killing another man in a bar. The dead man had come in and "made his brag" (I'm Joe Badd-Boat and I can whip any man in the bar). The defendant shot him. His defense? "He needed killing." The defendant was acquitted.

If anyone "needed killing," it was Earana. Preferably frequent and painful killing.

Athlain certainly understands this sort of rationalizing....

I was proud of my skills. In fact I found using them for such a challenge downright exhilarating. I wasn't exactly happy about killing Earana though. Oh, I fully believed my survival had required this act of preemption. . . so why didn't I feel better about it?

And that is the point that makes me very certain of Buffy's heart. She can take pride in her skill, while recognizing the consequences of the act. She is not a heartless executioner who then goes off to have a hearty meal.

I was sure I would sleep rather soundly - well, you know, for a murderess.

Buffy's halo may be a bit tarnished and a tad crooked, but she has one just the same.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 22 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #37

Mouth
Group Icon

This chapter really bothers me. On the one hand I can sympathize with Buffy’s rationalization for killing Earana. On the other hand, Earana wasn’t some ‘vile creature’ plotting Buffy’s doom in her lair. She was a living, breathing individual whose only crime that I could see was ticking Buffy off. Who gave Buffy the right to pass judgment on her? It doesn’t matter if Earana's threats intimidated Buffy. It doesn’t matter if Buffy felt that Earana would kill her if given the chance. The only thing that matters is the act, and the act is premeditated murder.

But none of that constitutes what bothers me. What bothers me is that I was rooting for Buffy to succeed! During your wonderful and detailed description of Buffy’s preparations I kept thinking ‘I hope this works.’ When she strung her bow and sighted for that impossibly long shot, I sighted right along with her. When she described the control of breath born of practice and muscle memory, I held my breath too. And when that fateful missile hit home and Earana’s spark faded, I breathed a sigh of relief. Her exhilaration after the fact was echoed in me, and I could see why Acadian would choose to confine his comments to the pointing out of the more positive aspects of chivalry.

I can’t bring myself to condone what Buffy has done, but I can’t find it in my heart to condemn her either.

That is what bothers me, and I am grateful to you for it.

This post has been edited by Destri Melarg: Sep 22 2010, 01:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 24 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #38

Knower
Group Icon

Buffy, how could you kill another living being? You make me so dissapointed.

Acadian give me a hug, it's wonderful.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 24 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #39

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 30 was the first of four episodes comprising Buffy's miniseries, 'Dancing with Darkness'. The rogue mage Earana had threatened Buffy during several visits to Chorrol, dating back to her University recommendation. Buffy became convinced of Earana's lethal intent. She carefully planned and executed a preemptive assassination of Earana.

Remko- Thank you for understanding Buffy's perspective. What do you do if Earana has threatened your life and you believe she can and will kill you. . . but has not launched an attack or broken any law? Buffy does not make threats unless she plans to follow through on them; she assumed Earana operated the same way, and responded accordingly. Was Earana all bluff? Or did she simply threaten the wrong wood elf? We'll never really know perhaps. Buffy will never lay claim goodness, merely loyalty to her friends and a strong survival instinct.

Foxy- Vile vs vial. I remember well. In fact it was even in my mind during this chapter. Too much editing. Pouring the vile liquid from the vial. Then just using a vial. Then just drizzling the thick vile liquid. Then, argh! wacko.gif Ok. Those vile little vials will get a chance to kick our butt again in two more chapters. We'll try to do better!

mALX- Thank you so much mALX. You understand Buffy well. She has tried very hard to teach me the foreign concept of how it feels to be small, weak and vulnerable. That perspective strongly shapes her response to threats.

Rider- Thank you for sharing in Buffy's feelings as she wrestled with her controversial choice. She has no idea if she did the right thing, and I don't think she is completely done processing it yet.

SubRosa- Once again, you highlight everything I am trying to do here. Cold and very detailed premeditated preparations. Inadvertently triggering a likely nocturnal visit from you know who. Trying to wrestle and rationalize her way through a very grey area.

Although I have come to understand Buffy well, presenting her complex nature properly can be a challenge for my humble skills. When you, so long ago, coined her as 'cuddly, like a rattlesnake' you let me know I was close to the mark in accurately displaying her character. As you say, like so many of us, she is not good, nor is she evil. She is simply a young and imperfect elf trying to survive in a dangerous land. Thank you.

hazmick- Thanks for endorsing Buffy's preparations. In the next episode, Buffy will loiter in Chorrol dealing with unfinished business - some of it quite surprising.

treydog- Thank you for sticking with our bowgirl as she wrestles with her darker side and tries to learn how it fits into her swirling, still unformed 'code of conduct'. 'Dancing with Darkness' will be very formative for her I expect.

Her closing line ('I was sure I would sleep rather soundly - well, you know, for a murderess.') is more tongue in cheek and foreshadowing than perhaps it sounds. In Oblivion, one's invitation to join the Dark Brotherhood opens with the dialogue: 'You sleep rather soundly, for a murderer."

Destri- Buffy is quite conflicted and will become more so. To see that her choices and actions had the same effect on you is very gratifying. It seems that over the course of time, our flawed and confused bowgirl may have wormed her way into your heart. If so, you may be assured that I know the feeling well. On one hand. . . but on the other hand. . . but, oh my . . . she doesn't have enough hands to sort it all out - yet. Dancing with Darkness, indeed. smile.gif

Zalphon- Lol! How could she kill someone? Well, first she puts poison on her arrow. Then she nocks it, then. . . . Buffy simply assumed that Earana meant her threats, and responded accordingly. Thank you Zalphon!

31 Dancing with Darkness, Part 2- Unfinished Business

"Hail, Buffy. Isn't it a beautiful morning?" Nardhil looked up from grooming the chestnut gelding. As I craned my head to see around the horse's powerful hindquarters, the pretty Dunmer quickly added, "Don't worry, Superian's fine. She missed you though. Here she comes."

My mare wandered out the open corral gate and approached, nodding her head. I buried my face in her neck before remembering my manners. "I'm sorry Nardhil. I just missed her, with the city sealed up for the past few days. I'm grateful for you looking after her."

The Dunmer swept an errant lock of black hair from her face and paused to rest both hands on her hips. "Isn't that murder business just awful? The guards were out here asking me all about who belonged to the half dozen or so visiting horses. This morning when they unsealed the gates, I had just as many angry travelers and merchants out here to collect their mounts and depart - as if it was my fault their travels had been delayed here in Chorrol." She placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled. "I'm glad for at least one friendly face this morning, and relieved that Superian's elf was not harmed."

"Oh, it was awful inside the city," I said, widening my eyes. "We couldn't leave of course. The guards wanted to know everything about everyone. I'm surprised they didn't ask my dress size. I mean, it delayed my business for the guild too," I shrugged, "but what can you do?"

"Well, I think they're wasting their time." Nardhil led the chestnut into the corral. She then returned, patted Superian on the shoulder, and began raking up recent horse droppings. "But do those guards care what I think? Nooo. They just ask me a bunch of stupid questions about harmless merchants and innocent wood elves. From what I hear, whoever killed that high elf was a real pro. Sounds like the Dark Brotherhood to me. The assassin probably just slipped right over the city walls within seconds of doing his job. Mark my words, he's laughing in another county by now."

"You really think the Dark Brotherhood did this?" I probed, stifling a wince as I recalled my recent visit from Lucien Lachance.

"Sure they did. That high elf, Earana?" Nardhil switched from her rake to a shovel, "Quite the snoot, that one. She treated me like I was. . . this." A large shovelfull of manure plopped into the waiting wheelbarrow.

The Dunmer paused, leaning on her shovel. "And what a temper! Why, one time she was walking by the stables with her Altmeri nose so high that she slipped on some horse manure and fell. She jumped to her feet, and started screaming about her ruined silks and how incompetent I was." Nardhil's red eyes flashed with what looked like both fear and anger. "I had to dive for the ground to miss the fireball she threw. Thankfully, before she could cast another spell, the guard on duty at the gate ran over and pressed his blade to her throat."

Nardhil gazed into the barn, as if remembering the incident. "Oh, Earana had plenty of enemies, all right. Perhaps she finally threatened someone who had a temper that matched hers."

I squirmed inside at her words, but I was pretty sure the discomfort didn't show on my face. Just to be safe, I reached down and began inspecting Superian's hooves as I replied, "Well, that was the word inside the walls too. It seems half the city had reason to kill Earana. Aside from the arrow they recovered from her body, and too many suspects with motive, I guess the guards don't have much to go on."

"I'm just glad they're done playing their games, locking down the city and questioning everyone. They'll never catch who did this. Just like the murder of that monk down the road."

"Monk?" Superian's feet were fine. I stood up straight and met Nardhil's red eyes. "What happened?"

"Oh, some fellow named Jeffrey or Joe Frye or some such got himself killed. Silly monks. It's bad enough being outside the gates, but at least the stables have the nearby guard to keep an eye on us. Those monks live in a priory away from the city where no one can protect them." The dark elf smirked. "Lots of good their precious Talos did them. Anyway, I figure it was bandits because the guards that went to investigate said the dead monk's locked chest had been broken into and was empty. Apparently the other monks had no idea what was in the chest, so they couldn't even provide a list of what was stolen."

"Bandits?"

"Sure. You travel a lot Buffy. You know how ruthless they are. Simple robbery. That monk probably woke up and surprised them. I mean, I guess they don't know for sure. It happened at night and the other members of the priory didn't see anything, but what else could it have been?"

"Nardhil, do you remember when this happened?"

"It was quite some time ago." She rubbed her chin for a moment. "Let's see, you've been here on several occasions. . . oh, I remember now. It happened about the time you first introduced me to that beautiful mare of yours."

"That was my first visit here. In fact, I recall stopping at Weynon Priory to deliver a package when I was trying to earn a recommendation for the University. The monk called Jauffre was rude, and we even had words at the time. He was healthy enough when I left though."

"Oh my," said Nardhil. "He must have gotten himself killed shortly after you met him. We all just kind of forgot about it. I don't even think the Black Horse Courier carried the story." The Dunmer shrugged. "It was only the murder of Earana that made me think of it. Say, how did all those recommendations you were after go anyway? Did you get into the University?"

"Yes." I blushed with a smile. "I just graduated recently."

Nardhil's hands went back to her hips and she beamed. "Well congratulations, Buffy. I can see from your pack though, that you must be ready to travel. Here, let me help you."

After we gathered my saddlebags, bow, quiver and tack from the barn, the Dunmer helped me saddle Superian.

Nardhil dragged a hand across her brow to wipe the moisture that was beginning to glisten in the morning sun. "Next time you're up this way, we'll have to share a bottle."

"Thank you," I said, nodding my agreement. I pressed several more gold coins into her hand than Superian's care required. "Yes, when I pass through again, I'd be honored to buy you dinner at The Oak and Crosier."

"Deal. Safe travels, sister. Where are you and that fine mare headed, anyway?"

With a foot in the stirrup, I bounced up and swung into the saddle. "Well, I have to courier some documents back to the Arcane University." Turning Superian out onto the Black Road, I added over my shoulder, "Then I'm supposed to meet someone at one of the inns south of the Imperial City on my way home to Bravil."

As Weynon Priory came into view, I thought about Jauffre. It seemed the monk had been killed right after I met him. I gathered that the Amulet of Kings had been stolen as well. I wondered if Jauffre had told his Blades about an heir?

Should I talk with the monks? Superian drew to a stop. I placed both hands on the pommel and stared at the stone buildings.

Remembering how I stormed out of the Priory, they might figure I was the one who killed Jauffre. I didn't need that, especially after just putting an arrow through Earana's black heart. I had delivered the Amulet of Kings only because the Emperor and Baurus had been kind to me. It wasn't my fault that the monks apparently lost it. I owed them nothing.

Besides, no one except the Emperor could wear the amulet anyway. I wasn't sure I believed what Jauffre had told me about an illegitimate heir. If it had been true, why would he ask a little wood elf to go fetch the next Emperor instead of sending all his Blades? No, I figured he just wanted to get me out of his balding hair. Well, fine. He succeeded on that count.

What did Jauffre say the heir's name was? Oh yes, I remembered the details. It didn't matter though. There was no priest named Martin in the Kvatch encampment. Savlian had described how deadly the fighting in the streets had been, as screaming people tried to flee. Those who didn't make it to freedom, before the Oblivion Gate outside the walls sealed Kvatch, had been trapped. How could anyone caught inside that burning city with bloodthirsty Daedra possibly still be alive after all this time? I shuddered.

Sensing my decision, Superian slowly continued south towards the Imperial City.

I slipped on my pair of powerful detect life rings, and scanned the forest that flanked both sides of the road ahead of us. It was a beautiful morning with birds chirping high in the branches above us. My new rings had proven themselves during our recent travels. They gave me the ability to see life signs from the saddle before threats became aware of Superian and I. We were confidently able to bypass hostile glows, or stop and preemptively deal with them.

Leaning forward to pet the mare, I said, "We'll get you a brief visit with Thernd and Bandit while I drop off these documents at the University. Then we'll continue to the Inn of Ill Omen."

I took a pull from my water bag. "Oh, quit worrying, Acadian. Lucien was very kind to me. He said there was a whole family of caring brothers and sisters waiting to welcome and love me - just as soon as I completed an initiation task for him. I'm sure whatever this Rufio fellow did must have been really bad. Otherwise Lucien wouldn't want him killed, would he?"

From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 24 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

I loved this new chapter, but was surprised to hear the rumor of Jauffre's passing. Of course, it would be an effective way for him to disappear with the illegitimate heir, especially after the Amulet was stolen. Intriguing plot twist there!

The guilt Buffy is feeling over Earana's death - well, not the death itself, but more her involvement in it - rang true. Knowing that her actions are defined as a capital crime can be scary, but it shows courage on her part that she went ahead with it. Yes, she took Earana's threats seriously, and acted accordingly. Now she has to live with the consequences. That too, takes courage. I have no doubt that our little blond wood elf has plenty of it. Her character (or cojones, as I prefer to think of it) is larger than her body, as it should be.

So she fell for the line of the family of brothers and sisters waiting for her. Geez, how many suckers did Lucien Lachance reel in with that? It's got to be the worst pick up line in the history of Cyrodiil! blink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

15 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:45 AM