Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Stormcrow, A Superhero's Tale
SubRosa
post Apr 19 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

About a month ago I got inspired to write a superhero character. Actually two. My original idea was what if Aela and Loria were superheroes. I worked on the idea, and with a little help from folks here, January and Avery have become fully-fleshed people in their own right. Ones whom I am really loving to write.

I learned a long time ago that when it comes writing, I need to strike when the iron is hot. So I am putting Seven Reimagined on hold for the moment, and concentrating on Stormcrow and Gadget. I will finish Seven, have no worries on that. There is only one third of the story left to go.

Like with the Seven thread, I am going to use this post for general info and a collection of resources. I'll start posting the actual stories with the next post.

Since these stories are set in the contemporary world, I am taking advantage of reality for once, by setting the stories here in Metro Detroit. Almost all the locations in the upcoming stories are real. You can actually use Google Earth to follow along. A few places are fictional, in that they are from other cities, and transplanted here to The D.

Timeline
March 24 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during the Nain Rouge Parade. it is not anchored, and easily banished
May 4 and 5 (Saturday and Sunday) = Stormcrow Rising
May 5 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Cinco De Mayo, using elemental symbols to anchor it, making it immune from banishment
May 14 and 15 (Tuesday and Wednesday) = Stormcrow Recycled
May 25 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Technofest, anchoring it with an animal sacrifice
May 25 and 26 (Saturday and Sunday) = Stormcrow Burning
May 27th = Memorial Day.
May 27 - June 1 (Monday -Saturday) = Stormcrow Pride [Ferndale Pride on Saturday]
June 1 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Ferndale Pride, anchoring it with a human sacrifice
June 1 - 9 = Crystal Death [Motor City Pride]
June 1 = Chad overdoes on Crystal Death at Leland City Club.
June 3 = first Crow Tales, featuring Frankenstein
June 8 = second Crow Tales, featuring This Spell For Hire. January stops the Death Dealer. Blood Raven humiliates Nazis at Motor City Pride
June 9 = Nazis on Crystal Death attack Motor City Pride
June 11 = January records interview with WNN.
June 13 = January quits working at the dojo, starts working on Artemis Argent with Rus
June 14 = January's interview is aired in its entirety, as well as in print and on WNN's website. It generates massive waves of both support and backlash against her. The same night she faces off against Gola at Eloise.

People
January Ward / Stormcrow (RL Georgie Stone)

January again

Avery Green / Gadget (RL Shameik Moore)

Avery again

General inspiration for Lighthammer (except most of his head is covered by a helmet)

Lighthammer (out of armor)

Blood Raven cosplay

The writer signing books

Cyborg cosplay

Carl Sagan

Metro Boomin

Gabriella Wilson

Cecilia Brækhus

Blood Raven on the rooftop

Barbara Ward (January's mom) (RL Amy Davidson)

Romulus Ward (January's dad) (RL Anthony Heald)

Julian Ward (January's brother) (RL Gabriel Mann)

BlackJack (Jacob Scwartz)

Ibroham Alawar is based on RL Ibrahim Alawad

The Man Living In The Packard Plant

Sam Bernstein

Archimedes

Ken Hite

Fire Captain Henderson

Fire Lieutenant Randy

Chase

Society
Hipsters (big in Detroit)

New Year's Eve In Detroit (been there, its true)

Indians Take Over Diamond Trade

Whitewater Security is based on RL Blackwater Security aka Academi

Worldwide Network News is fictional, based on HPLHS's Worldwide Wireless News

Bat'leth

Stormcrow BattleMech

Stormcrow BattleMech Pic

A TERF is an anti-trangender feminist

The Tigers and the Old English D

The Laughing Man is an homage to Ghost In The Shell

Four Twenty

Berenstain Bears

Michigan has a 10 cent bottle return law

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

Instagram Influencer

"I Am A Golden God!"

King Arthur 2004 Rus!

The Real Portal Games have not reached #5 yet

The Kell Hounds

Trail of Cthulhu

Daredevil's Sensory Powers

Shoggoth

Xenomorph

Tunguska Event

Literature and Art
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus

The Theme of Alienation in Frankenstein

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken

Festival is a reference to The Festival, by HP Lovecraft

Anglo-Saxon Kennings

Macbeth Act5, Scene 5 (A Tale Told By An Idiot quote)

Trajan's Column

The Bayeux Tapestry

John William Waterhouse - The Crystal Ball

Music
Vnv Nation - Illusion - One of January's theme songs

Two Steps From Hell - Never Back Down (Extended) - January's Fight Music

Gary Clark Jr. - If Trouble Was Money (Avery's ringtone)

The Score - Unstoppable - Avery's Theme

Two Steps From Hell - Blackheart (Extended) - Blood Raven's Theme

Blood Raven's Fight Music

Marilyn Manson - Resident Evil Soundtrack Main Theme - The Summoner's Theme

Gustav Holst - Mars - Nátthrafn's Theme

Counting Crows - Four Days

Clips of Amelie Lens' performance at the 2019 Movement Festival

Orbital

Counting Crows - Mr Jones

Counting Crows - A Long December

Places
A Google Map of all the Stormcrow locations

Macomb Community College - South Campus

Macomb Community College classroom quad, library, and parking

The Best Western Premiere of Southfield

Hotel Pic 01

Hotel Pic 02

Campus Martius

Michigan Soldier's and Sailor's Monument

U of M Law School

January's Parents House

January's Parents House Aerial View

Flint Bishop Airport

Flint Airport aerial view

Flint Airport - A closer view of the terminal and parking lot

Flint Airport - The reverse view, from a model in the airport

Flint Airport - The terminal

Flint Airport - The baggage pickup inside the terminal. The escalator and Ticketing are visible in the middle distance

Flint Airport - The escalator that January leaps up to the second floor

Flint Airport - Gift Shop and Bookstore on the right

Flint Airport - The Food Court on the left

Flint Airport - Do Not Enter sign far down the hall

Packard Plant - The Poletown Bus Stop (well close enough to it)

Packard Plant - The Bus Stop from the air (the Hamtramck Cadillac Plant is on the right. Smaller steel mills on the left)

Packard Plant - The bridge overI-94 and the Packard Plant (beyond in the left)

Parkard Plant - The Packard Plant

Packard Plant - The Packard Plant aerial view

Packard Plant - Another aerial view

Packard Plant - A closer look from above

Packard Plant - Down on the ground

Packard Plant - Summer

Packard Plant - Winter

Packard Plant - Another building

Packard Plant - Inside

Bloomfield Hills

Fitzgerald High School

Aerial View of Source One Metals (it is the big white building at the very bottom center)

Source One Metals (from the turnaround in Mound Road)

Source One Metals (from the parking lot)

Source One Metals (from the back)

MSU is Michigan State University

U of M is University of Michigan

The Lower Peninsula of Michigan

Macomb Community College (the Max Thompson Learning Media Center is the library)

The high school January lands on

The giant factory beyond 696 she lands on

Global Titanium from the air

A closer view of the battleground

Global Titanium from the ground

Global Titanium from the ground again

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 01

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 02

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 03

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 04 (Her Bus Stop before the Packard Plant)

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 05

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 06

Beatrice Grand Trunk Warehouse & Cold Storage Building

The Junkman's Lair, adjacent scrapyard, and City Incinerator (top)

The Junkman's Lair, adjacent scrapyard, and City Incinerator (left)

The Junkman's Lair 01

The Junkman's Lair 02

The Junkman's Lair 03

Saint Andrews Hall

Hart Plaza

Hart Plaza (seen from Jefferson at the bottom, looking toward the Detroit River at the top)

Hart Plaza - Fountain

Hart Plaza (seen from the river looking toward Jefferson Ave and downtown)

Hart Plaza (looking north from Cobo Hall at the bottom)

Hart Plaza (looking south)

The Fist of Joe Louis

The Spirit of Detroit

The Joe Louis Arena

January's Route to the Fire 1 - Cobo Hall Rooftop Parking, looking north

January's Route to the Fire 2 - Fort Washington Plaza

January's Route to the Fire 3 - Theodore Levin Courthouse

January's Route to the Fire 4 - Westin Book Cadillac Hotel

January's Route to the Fire 5 - Book Tower

January's Route to the Fire 6 - Three Stadiums

January's Route to the Fire 7 - Foxtown

January's Route to the Fire 8 - Little Caesar's Arena

January's Route to the Fire 9 - Midtown and the Flying Dutchman at the corner of Peterboro and Cass

The Flying Dutchman (RL Ghost Ship Fire)

The Flying Dutchman Interior

Detroit Receiving Hospital

Detroit Receiving Hospital picture

The Witch House

The Witch House Overhead View

Real Events
ConFusion is a real Metro-Detroit sci fi convention.

Hart Plaza - Movement Event Map

Movement Electronic Music Festival

The Movement Electronic Music Festival picture

Another Movement pic

Clothes
Lululemon Fitted Jacket

Ohm's Law Shirt

Cthulhu For President

Made In Detroit Tee

Karategi

Ms Marvel Tee

Real Tech
Fire 7 Tablet

Samsung Galaxy J1

Geo Storm

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycles

Cosmos

Picking a combination lock

Make an electric lockpick

Victory Empulse TT Review

Victory Empulse TT Pic

Victory Empulse Side View

Victory Empulse TT With Panniers

Victory Empulse TT Instrument Panel

Bell Helmet (it really is from the 1950s)

January's new Sedici Strada Carino helmet

2004 Mazda MX 5

Raven Banner Pendant

2004 Chevy Avalanche

Real Science
Ohm's Law

Hagfish

Hagfish Slime Armor

Solid Light

Voynich Manuscript

Vigenère Cipher

Principles of Flight

Laser Inertial Fusion Energy

Ultra Dense Deuterium

Plasma

Tesseract

Wilhelm Wundt

Meta Tech
Stormcrow Armor ideas (but black and gray, and more of the face covered)

Another Stormcrow Armor general idea (but the real armor would not have all that hair exposed)

Winged Helmet (but January's would be black, and the face would be covered down to the nose)

Think of the upper right goggles area built into the winged helmet above

Stormcrow Armor Symbol

The onboard computer in the Gadgetmobile is named after the Pharos Lighthouse

The Face Bot

The Face Bot again

The Face Bot rear view

Myth and Religion
Oshun

Erzulie

Martial Arts & Gymnastics
Muay Thai - Downward Jumping Elbow

Yoga Crow Pose

Yoga Scorpion Pose

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SubRosa
post Sep 14 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: I know you were joking, but the reason I set this in Detroit is that I know this city and state so well. Right down to the Bernsteins and bottle deposits. I can bring that out in the stories in a way I could never do with a fictional setting.

Tapping into nearby security cameras is going to become a staple of Gagetology. I get a lot of that from Shadowrun, where cameras are an even larger part of life than today. The Decker (hacker) character would commonly hijack the local security cameras to wipe their shadowrunner team from them, and use them to tell the runners where the bad guys were.

The last episode was one of those really blatant displays of how January's emotions shape the local elements. As difficult it was to write the argument, being able to show Jan's feelings through the pouring rain was wonderful.

I decided to go this route with Jan's family because so many Queer people face these very same (and often much worse) issues with their own families. It is just one of those Truth in Television moments that I felt I could not ignore and still be true to reality. From a purely nuts and bolts storytelling point of view it also introduces an extra sort of conflict. Conflict is what drives all stories. Without it, things are just boring.

Renee: Wow, except in a few neighborhoods we don't have recycle bins for every house in Michigan. Just garbage cans. You have to put your paper and other recyclables aside yourself and take them to the city recycle center.

I was uncomfortable writing the argument as well. I had to break it down into individual story beats, and cover them one at a time in an analytical fashion in order to get through it.

treydog: So you would say Blood on the Moon is a story about the A-Team then? wink.gif

The darkside of modern media culture is one of the things I specifically wanted to put on display in that scene with the crowd wanting to get every closer and closer to the new media sensation.

Like I said in the past, it's ok to dislike Julian. His attitudes definitely run from his father, and are in fact amplified by the preferential treatment he has received from Romulus.

I just cannot resist those little wry observations like the ten cent deposit or cats laying in the sun. That is one of those examples of the author being reflected in what they write.

A few months ago I read the Screwfly Solution, and I commented about it on the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast's Patreon comments section. I said pretty much what you and Mrs. Dog did. Good fiction makes you feel, even if you don't particularly want to. That story was very much in mind when I wrote that fight between Jan's parents. I am sure it was not easy for Alice Sheldon to write it, because it is so emotionally brutal. She slogged through it to create an outstanding story. So I did too.

Darkness Eternal: I think selfies are now the new autograph. I don't think any fan wants anything signed anymore, do they? We all have cameras on us all the time, so we all want pics. Otherwise it did not happen after all.

Peter Parker/Spider-Man is an inspiration for these stories. Back in the 60s when the character first came out he was a big hit, precisely because he was not rich, or famous, or desired, or even cool. He was an ordinary schlub, facing ordinary problems. Someone everyone can relate to. January is a bit exotic in that she is trans and lesbian. But what I am hoping to really emphasize is just how ordinary she really is, but showcasing these ordinary issues and situations she faces in her everyday life.

Given today's Meme-centric internet culture, a Stormcrow Meme had to be in the offing. Who can resist the Sean Bean classic of walking into Mordor? I cannot watch the scene in Fellowship of the Ring without thinking of the memes.

I am digging way back to my own youth with Jan's feelings about older people. 30? Wow, what an ancient! 50! They must have rode dinosaurs to school!

Julian does indeed take a lot of his personality from his father, and from the preferential treatment he receives. Something we will see a lot more of in the future. He is indeed, a douche. Well, he's a lawyer after all. Or will be.

I used to keep a printed out copy of the Viking Code on my door when I was younger. I would always look at that whenever I left my home, especially the final part. "Never give up, no matter what."

Wilhelm Wundt

Macomb Community College (the Max Thompson Learning Media Center is the library)

The high school January lands on

The giant factory beyond 696 she lands on

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

Counting Crows - Four Days

Global Titanium from the air

A closer view of the battleground

Global Titanium from the ground

Global Titanium from the ground again

Book 2.9 - Stormcrow Recycled

January sat in class, trying to remember who Wilhelm Wundt was, and why he was important to the history of psychology. Try as she might, all she could think about was Willy Wonka. But she had a sneaking suspicion that Oompa Loompas and chocolate were not going to be on the final exam.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She prayed to Freyja, the Morrigan, and any other deity who would listen that it wasn't her mother, again. She sneaked a peek at it when the professor was not looking. It turned out to be a text from Avery.

Another Robbery.

Global Titanium Inc. North of Seven Mile, between Van Dyke and Mound.

Right Now!

January bit her lip. What was she supposed to do? Blow off her Intro To Psychology class? But how could she sit there when another robot-army was on the loose? How did Blood Raven handle this kind of thing?

There never really was any question after all. She slid her phone into her pocket, and her book and notes into her backpack. She stood and walked briskly for the door. The professor turned his balding head toward her and gave her a quizzical look.

"Sorry, family emergency," she said. Then she was out the door, and looking for a secluded place to change into her armor. It turned out to be no farther away than the croaking of a crow. The black bird was perched in a cluster of trees beside the nearby library, and stared at her intently as it called out.

Thankfully the rain had stopped, but the grass was still wet when January raced across it to get under the cover of the trees. It turned out to be an ideal spot. January's elemental mantra was second nature to her now. She simply thought about it, and willed the change to happen. An instant later she was in her armor, and the tee, jeans, and fitted jacket she had been wearing were tucked safely away in her backpack.

The trees also gave her convenient cover for a leap to the roof with no one noticing. She tucked her pack away behind a row of upraised bricks in one corner. Given that it was the tallest building on the campus, no one would ever notice it. Or at least she hoped so.

She did not bother with the motorcycle. It had been too much trouble the last time. Besides, there would be traffic at this time of day. Instead she leapt high into the sky, and snapped out her wings. She remembered everything that Lighthammer had told her about the principles of flight.

"I keep forgetting that so much of this is not like flying a jet," the armored vigilante had told her. "Even a glider doesn't compare. You fly like a bird. Well, like a crow. But they flap their wings to generate thrust. I don't know how you do it. It's not even gliding. Not really. Your glide ratio is way better than any glider or wingsuit. You've got some mojo for this. You need to keep working on developing that."

She flew south across the campus, willing herself to remain in the air. She concentrated on reshaping reality, on creating a world where she could soar like any bird. Her focus, her energy, went into that. Muscle memory gained under Lighthammer's tutelage also taught her to angle her wings. She would create the most negative pressure on the upper surface, and the most positive on the lower. That would generate lift the old-fashioned way. The same as a bird did.

Be like Air. Be light, and quick, and fly.

She soared all the way across the campus before she began to lose appreciable altitude. Finally she was obliged to come down on the roof of the high school nearby. She disengaged her wings and hit it running. At the edge of the roof she leapt back up into the sky, and redeployed her wings. Then she was sailing through the sky again.

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy," she said into the brand new comm Avery had installed in her helmet the previous night.

"Got you Broadsword," Gadget's voice came back loud and clear in her ear, sounding decidedly amused. "Are Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood driving you? I see traffic backed up on Groesbeck."

"Take a look," January carefully reached up to her head, and clicked on the video unit. A moment later she crossed over I-696 and came down on the roof of a massive factory. It was so large that she could do more than run across it. She was able to take numerous horizontal leaps, covering over thirty feet in each bound. She built up speed all the while, so that when she finally launched skyward she gained more altitude than she ever had before. She cracked out her wings, and rejoiced in the view.

"Hot damn girl," Gadget's voice was soft amazement. "That is lit!"

"Okay, that's Groesbeck down to your left," he declared confidently. "Keep following it to Outer Drive, then go right. It's just before Seven Mile."

January continued her routine of leaping and gliding, and ate the miles up in the bright blue sky. She noticed a single crow ahead of her, seeming to fly in the same direction that she was. She followed it out of reflex. Soon there was another crow, and another, and she found herself part of a large murder of the birds.

January laughed out loud. The clouds were gone, both in the sky overhead, and within her heart. In spite of all the disturbing revelations of the previous night, in spite of whatever was waiting for her at the next titanium shop, this was a perfect moment. She knew that, and did her best to live in it forever. Or at least whatever passed for forever these days.

She even imagined that she heard "Four Days" by the Counting Crows playing in her ear. Then she realized it was not in her mind. She really was hearing it.

"A little something by Counting Crows to go with your crow pals," Gadget's voice came in over the alternative rock.

The crows led her right to Global Titanium Incorporated. It was a compound of large buildings on the far side of a set of railroad tracks that ran from north to south. The complex was laid out in a rectangle, the perimeter being marked out by large, windowless buildings. A pair of structures bisected the layout about one third of the way from the south. That made it more of a figure eight, with a larger open square on the north side, and a smaller one to the south. Most of the buildings seemed to be two story sheds or warehouses, massive in size. Large doorways - big enough for multiple trucks to drive through at the same time - yawned open in them.

The center of the big open square to the north was taken up by a collection of large, open-aired storage bays. They were constructed from massive concrete blocks that looked for all the world like giant Legos. Each bay was blocked off on three sides by high walls of the white blocks, leaving one end open. Four of these bays were lined up with their open ends facing south. Another four butted up opposite them, sharing a single, center wall. Their openings faced north. That created eight enclosures in all. All were filled with metals in numerous forms. There were loose chips piled up in mounds, heaps of what looked like powder, and neatly stacked crates of packaged materials. Even more of these storage bays were spread around the edges of the courtyard, and against the sides of the massive sheds and warehouses. Everywhere January looked, there was metal. It was a Mountain Dwarf's paradise.

It was here that January saw another Frankensteinian garbage truck. Like the one from the previous night, it was made up of parts thrown together from several other trucks. The varying colors made that plain. Half the cab was green, the other half yellow, and the storage bay behind was brown and blue.

January could see several more of the humanoid robots walking from one of the large metal storage bays to the truck. They carried ingots of shining metal in their iron hands, which they loaded into the open back of the garbage truck. Smoke rose from the wreck of a semi-truck nearby, but there were no signs of any people. Whoever had been working down there must have either ran off, or be hiding.

"Whoa, what happened?" Gadget's concerned voice came over the comm. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine," January puzzled out. "No one's even shot at me yet."

"I just lost the video," Gadget explained. "I've got nothing but haze coming through."

"Everything looks fine," January assured him. "Maybe it's just still on the fritz from the other night. I'm going on according to plan."

"That can't be," Gadget insisted. "I completely replaced all the wiring with shielded circuitry. It's immune to electrical damage, or even an EMP."

January looked for the Face-Bot, but did not see it as she approached. She took advantage of its apparent absence, and plunged down toward the garbage truck. It grew larger and larger by the second, and she had to give it her fullest concentration. Moments from hitting it, she triggered off her wings. She went into a forward roll as she fell, and hit the blacktop still moving.

She rolled under the truck. As the chassis passed by overhead, she clipped one of Gadget's contraptions to its underside. Without slowing an instant, she rolled out the other side of the truck, and sprang to her feet.

"GPS attached," she said quietly.

"Got it pinging," he said. "Just make it look good now."

One of the metal men stepped out from around the back of the garbage truck. Its hands were empty, so January imagined that it had just dropped off its load of titanium. It raised one hand toward her. Remembering how one had cut open a metal door during the previous attack, January ducked. Crimson laser light splashed through the air above her, and lanced through a storage bay across the court.

Apparently they were no longer just worker drones. Now they could fight. Someone had been doing upgrades overnight.

January dove into a forward roll, and bounced to her feet in front of the android. Her Krav Maga training came to her naturally, and she sprang up directly into the metal man's face. Her armored helmet smashed into its head, sending photoreceptors and other bits and bobs of electronics out in a shower of metal. She followed with a knee to its groin. While it lacked the usual soft spots there, the blow did send it off balance. She grabbed its shoulders with both hands and pulled them down toward her, even while she lifted her knee up into its head. That cleanly decapitated it.

January lifted the still moving body of the robot in her arms and whipped it around. She flung it at a second android that had lumbered around the back of the truck. The headless bot took it clean in the chest, and both were sent tumbling to the blacktop.

January was about to leap onto a third when the raucous cry of a crow snapped her head around. Rising over the outer wall of the compound was the Face-Bot, its twin eyes glowing with malevolence. January leaped after all, but not to attack a robot. Instead she bounded over the large collection of storage bays, and put her back to the concrete blocks that made up their walls. Twin lasers scored the air behind her. Then a moment later they gouged into the blocks that she hid behind.

"I found the Boss," January said into her comm. "He's got me pinned down."

"Good, just keep your head down," Gadget replied. "I'm trying to find a security camera to see with, but I'm having the same problem as with your suit cam. I think something's jamming all the cameras in the area."

"How can that be?" January wondered aloud.

The Face-Bot came sliding around the side of her hiding place. Thinking quickly, January leaned over into the storage bay and picked up an ingot of steel. She flung it at the Face-Bot, and hit it dead between the eyes with a loud clank! She could swear that she heard it squeal in pain, and it danced away. Before it shot out of sight, January noted with satisfaction that her missile had left a large dent in its casing.

She peeked around the corner, and ducked back as a bright red laser scored a line across the concrete wall. That had come from one of the man-bots. Their creator had definitely improved their AI. They had not been nearly so combative the other night.

"I don't know how they are doing the jamming, but they are," Gadget said. "It apparently only effects the visible light spectrum. Though it might go up into infrared and ultraviolet as well. We are talking, so it doesn't affect radio waves. This is something I'm going to have to work on. We could use this in your suit."

"Well, I don't think the man-bots are doing it," January noted. "Maybe it's in the truck, or that Face-Bot."

She picked up another steel bar, and darted around the other side of the storage bay. The coast was clear over here, so she leaped down to the end of the row of enclosures, and came around the truck from the other side. The Face-Bot was waiting for her however. She flung her steel, and it fired its lasers at the same time. The metal erupted in mid-air with a shower of molten steel. But not all of it was liquefied. Some of the solid bits continued on, and pelted the flying robot.

Once again, it squealed, and dodged back and to one side. It fired at January again, forcing her back behind the cover of the storage bays. She heard the garbage truck's engine roar to life. A moment later she heard its tires grinding over the blacktop. She peeked around the corner, and saw that the truck was rolling out the main entrance of the compound, and onto the street outside. The Face-Bot sent one last blast at her, then darted off after the vehicle.

January ran out from cover, searching for more of the metal men. Aside from the one she had decapitated, and the other one she had struck with its body, there were no sign of them. Those two were still twitching, but a vigorous application of her boot soles fixed that. She imagined that the rest had loaded themselves on board the truck along with the metal they had stolen and escaped.

"Is anyone hurt?" January called out. She turned in a circle, searching for people. "I chased them off. It's safe to come out now."

Heads began to poke out from behind open doorways and around corners. January made a quick circuit, looking into storage bays and into the warehouses. But of all the people she saw, no one had suffered more than a few scrapes and bruises. She imagined those were more from flight than actual attack. She had seen what the robots could do. Their weapons could melt steel. Humans would have been vaporized under their lasers. Thankfully, she did not see any piles of goo on the ground to suggest that had occurred.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SubRosa   The Stormcrow   Apr 19 2019, 11:34 PM
SubRosa   [b]Chapter 1 - Stormcrow Rising [center]Early May...   Apr 20 2019, 12:04 AM
Renee   Hee hee, this is awesome! She's doing medi...   Apr 20 2019, 02:21 PM
SubRosa   Hee hee, this is awesome! She's doing med...   Apr 20 2019, 03:27 PM
Acadian   Oh this was a hoot! January, her crow fan cl...   Apr 20 2019, 06:32 PM
Grits   I’m very excited to see Stormcrow so soon! (...   Apr 22 2019, 06:17 PM
SubRosa   Renee: I went to MCC for a while, so it was my go-...   Apr 26 2019, 04:32 PM
Acadian   ’Naturally she did what they said to never do....   Apr 26 2019, 06:33 PM
Grits   Awesome, a fight and flying sequence! I though...   Apr 28 2019, 11:29 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Courage + questionable judgement sounds l...   May 3 2019, 09:35 PM
Acadian   I’ll take your wonderful Two Steps from Hell mus...   May 8 2019, 07:31 PM
Renee   Whoa, she's wearing her superhero outfit in pu...   May 9 2019, 03:55 PM
SubRosa   All: I created a Google Map of all the Stormcrow l...   May 10 2019, 10:05 PM
Acadian   Neat Gadget Cave! Replete with ingenious tech...   May 11 2019, 09:10 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: The Gadget Cave is a fun setting. I have ...   May 17 2019, 04:41 PM
Acadian   What a fun episode, as the plot thickens with more...   May 17 2019, 09:54 PM
Renee   There's a Beverly Hills in Michigan! I u...   May 24 2019, 07:07 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Now we know that things were not quite as...   May 24 2019, 10:18 PM
Acadian   This was a wonderful episode that sleuthed the sto...   May 25 2019, 06:41 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Working in the pop culture references is ...   Jun 1 2019, 05:09 PM
Acadian   "I think I forgot to pick that at character ...   Jun 1 2019, 07:17 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: One fun thing about writing January and A...   Jun 8 2019, 04:52 PM
Acadian   Clever how she got her Crowsuit into the house. ...   Jun 8 2019, 10:38 PM
Uleni Athram   A superheroine who actually knows her Marty Arties...   Jun 11 2019, 03:27 PM
Renee   Ah, typical Renee has fallen behind. :blink: Life...   Jun 11 2019, 04:30 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I used the old window trick to sneak thin...   Jun 15 2019, 04:58 PM
Acadian   January shows us plenty of raw emotion in this pow...   Jun 15 2019, 07:13 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: That was a very intense episode, that giv...   Jun 22 2019, 04:28 PM
Acadian   Nice job here, setting the scene and stakes for wh...   Jun 22 2019, 07:18 PM
treydog   The way you weave “existing” tech in with poss...   Jun 24 2019, 05:46 PM
Renee   Nice. Also, the whole time her family's ha...   Jun 24 2019, 06:52 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: This will be the crescendo of the chapter...   Jun 29 2019, 04:15 PM
Acadian   Despite the superhero tech, you rendered everythin...   Jun 29 2019, 06:21 PM
treydog   Most excellent fight scene! And again, very h...   Jun 30 2019, 12:34 AM
SubRosa   Ooops, I forgot to add some links. I went back and...   Jun 30 2019, 06:48 PM
Acadian   Thanks for the additional links and update. I ...   Jun 30 2019, 07:36 PM
treydog   I tend to agree. While on the one hand, it is fun...   Jun 30 2019, 08:33 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: That Carotid Slap was something I filed a...   Jul 6 2019, 03:49 PM
Acadian   Another intense fight! It was very neat how ...   Jul 6 2019, 06:38 PM
treydog   A most enthralling fight! Then there is the d...   Jul 8 2019, 04:36 PM
Grits   Catching up with January and Avery has been quite ...   Jul 12 2019, 12:28 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: This two part fight forced me to think cr...   Jul 13 2019, 05:08 PM
Renee   Lighthammer has force fields! That's cheat...   Jul 13 2019, 06:34 PM
Acadian   It just struck when you referred to January as Jan...   Jul 13 2019, 07:46 PM
SubRosa   As an editorial note, given that I have decided to...   Jul 13 2019, 11:56 PM
treydog   A nice bit of calm after the Stormcrow (sorry). B...   Jul 15 2019, 12:19 AM
SubRosa   Side note- still looking at early Boston. Did fi...   Jul 15 2019, 02:50 AM
SubRosa   I bought Boston in the American Revolution: A Town...   Jul 17 2019, 02:03 AM
Grits   Excellent shirt! I’m a fan, even if Freya do...   Jul 17 2019, 03:28 AM
Renee   “fine-toothed search bot” :lol: Ha ha I li...   Jul 17 2019, 03:40 PM
SubRosa   Renee: Lighthammer's not a cheater! :lol:...   Jul 20 2019, 05:06 PM
treydog   The thing (okay ONE thing) I like about this story...   Jul 20 2019, 07:15 PM
Acadian   The bus ride and encounter did a couple of things ...   Jul 20 2019, 09:35 PM
Renee   I think I want an African Goddess next to me, if I...   Jul 21 2019, 02:12 AM
Grits   Not Cthululemon? :P Good idea to stash the backpac...   Jul 23 2019, 01:10 AM
SubRosa   treydog: Inserting the human element into these st...   Jul 27 2019, 04:35 PM
Renee   :lol: Yes, how apt a description, the handing ...   Jul 27 2019, 04:51 PM
Acadian   A superbike for a superhero - hopefully. Unfortun...   Jul 27 2019, 11:00 PM
treydog   Quotes first and then observations. Have known...   Jul 28 2019, 03:06 PM
SubRosa   Renee: I had no idea the 'Gucci Biker' lin...   Aug 3 2019, 04:35 PM
Acadian   A nuclear powered Stormcycle emerges from the Gadg...   Aug 3 2019, 07:47 PM
Renee   He put a nuclear reactor in her motorcycle? :O ...   Aug 4 2019, 12:30 AM
treydog   :lol: Loved all the dialogue- this is the way...   Aug 4 2019, 01:05 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1 - Stormcrow Rising What a great way to...   Aug 6 2019, 02:30 AM
SubRosa   Acadian: I did a lot of work on developing power s...   Aug 10 2019, 04:13 PM
Renee   Yes, I was thinking of buses. :) Fusion-powered ...   Aug 10 2019, 05:43 PM
Acadian   This episode drew me in immediately and was a joy ...   Aug 10 2019, 07:53 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.2: I get what you mean. The crows did i...   Aug 10 2019, 09:41 PM
treydog   :blink: Jan is certainly in a position to und...   Aug 10 2019, 10:43 PM
SubRosa   Renee: This chapter is set about a week after the ...   Aug 17 2019, 05:07 PM
Acadian   The beginning of another Crowventure assigned to h...   Aug 17 2019, 09:03 PM
Renee   Yeah, totally. He's like that voice over the...   Aug 18 2019, 03:05 PM
treydog   " The interactions between Gadget and Cro...   Aug 18 2019, 03:47 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.3: I like how you mentioned how deep-ro...   Aug 19 2019, 02:17 AM
SubRosa   Acadian: I had not really thought of doing more be...   Aug 24 2019, 04:32 PM
Acadian   Thanks for your peek/insight into the future of th...   Aug 24 2019, 06:44 PM
treydog   More excellent Crow-Girl action! The fight wa...   Aug 25 2019, 10:11 PM
Renee   Nice. She plays Fallout (or at least knows of this...   Aug 27 2019, 08:16 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I enjoyed writing the fight between Janua...   Aug 31 2019, 04:23 PM
Renee   Yes there is some reason why our armed forces ofte...   Aug 31 2019, 07:01 PM
Acadian   Another wonderful episode! I liked how her ...   Sep 1 2019, 07:29 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.4: There was plenty in this chapter that...   Sep 2 2019, 03:06 AM
SubRosa   Renee: Gasoline is much quicker to burn and explod...   Sep 7 2019, 04:15 PM
Acadian   Gosh, I'm learning a lot about Michigan and De...   Sep 7 2019, 07:17 PM
Renee   We recycle. At least I do. Where I live it seems l...   Sep 9 2019, 12:16 AM
treydog   A lesson my A and A team are learning (slowly). ...   Sep 9 2019, 01:13 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.7: Heh. Good question honestly. What is ...   Sep 14 2019, 01:55 AM
Acadian   With a name like Wilhelm Wundt, it is indeed hard ...   Sep 14 2019, 08:31 PM
treydog   Way back when we were reading Gawain and the Green...   Sep 15 2019, 09:15 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I still remember my Into to Psychology cl...   Sep 21 2019, 03:33 PM
Renee   Yeah, I don't think she'd be able to conce...   Sep 21 2019, 04:34 PM
Acadian   Another fun episode as you ever so smoothly show u...   Sep 22 2019, 12:09 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.10: Great thing you provided us with th...   Sep 24 2019, 02:51 AM
SubRosa   Renee: You are right, even if she tried to ignore ...   Sep 28 2019, 04:58 PM
Acadian   Looks like the stealth approach was a good call as...   Sep 28 2019, 07:45 PM
Renee   See, where is Lighthammer during all of this? It m...   Sep 29 2019, 03:27 AM
treydog   Caught up again- yay! And also phooey, becaus...   Sep 30 2019, 11:30 AM
SubRosa   A minor note. Thanks to tredyog correctly identify...   Oct 2 2019, 10:02 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 2.1:Ah, Jan has been meeting some ladies a...   Oct 4 2019, 03:33 AM
11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:33 PM