5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim Mod Questions
Grits
post Jan 10 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

We don’t have a Skyrim modding section, so I hope it’s OK to post a question thread here. If we have another one already I’ll ask that this one be closed, but I didn’t see any.

I just made a quick little mod to put pretty robes on the priestesses of Dibella in the Markarth Temple. It’s dependent on another esp. (I did that part in Wrye Smash.) It works, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’ve done something stupid. Other than making sure my esp loads after the one it’s dependent upon, should I do anything else? Did I just create a problem that’s going to pop up later?

Yikes!!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 10 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

No problem. It's something I've done a lot for mods that have add-ons that are DLC-dependent. The add-on piece has the base mod (esp) as a master, so you can't try and use it alone. Remembering to flip the esp/esm bit whenever you fix anything is a pain, but it does work. Compatibility patches have to work that way, too.

If you use BOSS, you can declare your own personal mods' requirements in a userlist that supplements the communally-maintained modlist to keep the order consistent.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 10 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, thank you. I do use BOSS, and I was pulling my hair out thinking about needing to check my load order every time I use it. Never occurred to me to tell BOSS what it needs to know. Thank you, ghastley! smile.gif

EDIT: OK, do I need BOSS Userlist Manager, or is this something I can do within BOSS? I’m not seeing anything in BOSS I can fiddle with. Which is probably for my own good. tongue.gif

EDIT 2: Perhaps I should check in the BOSS User Rules ReadMe. D'oh! Going to dig and read...

EDIT 3: I DID IT! And nothing exploded. biggrin.gif Yay.

Now to deal with Hamal's unsightly axe. Hmm...

This post has been edited by Grits: Jan 10 2014, 05:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 14 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jan 10 2014, 07:38 AM) *

I just made a quick little mod to put pretty robes on the priestesses of Dibella in the Markarth Temple.

I have to confess to a strong temptation to reproduce the outfit on Dibella's statue for them - to be worn only in the locked-away part of the temple for ritual purposes. That would be a valid reason for keeping out the public! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 17 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

And a reasonable incentive to check out the locked portion of the temple. hehe.gif I have a hard time starting The Heart of Dibella in a character-appropriate way. Except once Jerric broke in thinking that he was allowed, but he had only gained access in another of his games. rolleyes.gif Or maybe that was just his excuse.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jan 17 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Does Sam's quest deposit you in there?

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 17 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Just in the outer, public part of the temple. You have to engage in shenanigans to upset the priestess who then offers you The Heart of Dibella quest. Spoilers below.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 10 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

So I’ve started using Wrye Bash profiles. I think I’m doing it right. It seems that the profile that’s active when Bash loads is the one whose mods are checked off in the mods tab. Then if I switch profiles I have to quit and restart WB to show the mods tab correctly for the different profile, though it seems that using the Skyrim launch button (or whatever it’s called) uses the newly active profile and loads the mods correctly.

Is there something I’m missing? Is there something I should know to definitely not do? My ideas are starting to get complicated, and I’m worried that I’ve already sown the seeds of destruction. wacko.gif

Also I’m afraid to run BOSS now since I don’t know what it will do. Sort only the active profile? kvleft.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 10 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 10 2014, 02:08 PM) *

Also I’m afraid to run BOSS now since I don’t know what it will do. Sort only the active profile? kvleft.gif

BOSS will sort everything, but inactive mods won't have any effect on your game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 21 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 10 2014, 04:08 PM) *

BOSS is actually sorting them all, as the order is the same for all the profiles, which just determine which mods are active.

It pays to have a separate bashed patch for each profile (just rename it to match the profile after you build it), so that pieces of one load list don't get patched into another. That build only considers the active mods. All the bashed patches should get sorted to about the same relative location, but only one will ever be activated at any time.

You need to make sure the toggle on Wrye Bash locking the load order lets BOSS make its changes, or it won't do anything but show you the intended order for you to set up manually. You can also drag and drop on the mods tab in Wrye to change the LO, which is useful for temporary checks on your own (or other unknown) mods.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 22 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Aha, that is exactly what was bothering me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thank you! It took two cups of tea but now everyone has their own patch. Yay! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 13 2014, 04:24 AM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Does anyone know if there is a mod that makes the food in Skyrim more beneficial? I am not looking for an immersion mod.

I would prefer one that changes most of them to have some buff that lasts for a while like venison stew or Elsweyr fondue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 13 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

That would be nice. It would make the food more useful, since potions weigh less and are much more effective at healing, and I always get to a point where I have more potions than I can ever drink.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 13 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Yes, right now I see no point to carrying any of it except the stew and fondue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 18 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

Does anyone know how to make the race/faction specific war paints available to all races? Once upon a time there was a mod that made them all available to every race, but the author took it down from the Nexus.

I have looked through the Construction Kit, and cannot even find the warpaints listed anywhere. Except in the Race entries of course. But even with those, there are warpaints listed in the race that you still cannot select during character creation. Like the Breton Race has the Forsworn tattoos listed, but you cannot pick them. They all have a Boeitath tattoo too, that you cannot use.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 18 2014, 07:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 18 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

I think (I'm not on my CK machine right now, so can't check) that you look in the Headparts list and update the Valid Races for the ones you want to make available. It's similar to the way an ArmorAddon is checked off for the races that can use it.

The other possibility is that there are Formlists to associate Headparts with races, so check that category too.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jun 18 2014, 07:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 18 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

I found it. In the entry for each Race, in the Tint tab, the disabled ones just need you to go into each paint entry and set the Type to Paint. To add the new ones it looks like you just have to right click in the field, select new, and then manually select the .dds file. So I would have to unpack all the paint textures first.

Looks like a lot of work. Plus doing this affects the Race entries, which will cancel out any other mod I use that changes the Races. Decisions, decisions...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 18 2014, 07:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 18 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

That may be the reason for others creating a "new race" just for that sort of thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 13 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

Question: Any idea why some critter followers will follow you through doors and others won't? I haven't tested that many, but flame atronachs and sabre cats happily follow you through doors. Familiars, wolves and foxes simply wait outside until you come back out.

The reason I'm asking is that Buffy has a conjured fox - and it would be really neat if it would follow her through doors like her sabre cat does.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 13 2014, 05:04 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

I found when I created new homes no followers would enter them until I created navmeshes for the buildings. So if you are seeing this with a modded area, that might be the case. Though I doubt it. If a human companion will follow you somewhere, I would think a fox or sabre cat ought to as well.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 13 2014, 05:05 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:22 PM