79 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Decrepit
post Jun 7 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #301

Master
Group Icon

Booted the computer today. Was greeted by a message informing me that Samsung Magician, the software that monitors and configures my 2 Samsung SSDs for best performance, was due an update I clicked the "install update" option. All went well, except that when all was said in done Magician found my two HHDs and an old 1st-gen non-Samsung SSD, none of which it works with, but NOT my Samsung SSDs! I rebooted the PC. Still didn't find them. I searched my computer for an older version of Magician to reinstall. There isn't one. I searched the web for older Magician versions. Nope. Finally, rummaging through old CDs that came with various pieces of hardware, I found a copy of Magician 4.3. Installed that. Rebooted. If recognized my 850 Pro, but not the 850 Evo! Did more rummaging. At last found another Samsung disk, this one containing Magician 4.5. Installed it. Voila! But SSDs found and recognized. This isn't the version I had before today's original "update". I apparently never had a physical copy of its installer. I'd like that version back, but can't find it on the internet. 4.5 will do, I suppose. Any in case, with luck this will soon become my secondary PC.

ADDENDUM: Found a place to download older Magician versions. Will prolly try a few once after my walk?

14 Jun 2017 ADDENDUM: Restoring older version of Magician fixed it.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jun 14 2017, 02:27 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 14 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #302

Master
Group Icon

Not a current problem, but something I don't like coming down the pike.

Firefox has been my preferred browser for ages. One thing I like a lot about it is that at least one add-on allows me to move tabs below the address bar. I abhor tabs at screen top. Later this year, with release version 59, Firefox is scrapping its current add-on format. According to its creator, the add-on that let's me relocate tabs can not be converted to the new format. Ergo, tabs at top for me, unless something else that serves the purpose comes along. Won't rule it out, but I'm not holding my breath. Not yet anyway.

My question for users of alterative browsers is, does your browser of choice place tabs below the address bar or offer ways to move it there? Much as I love Firefox I will certainly consider jumping ship a decent quality alternative with that functionality exists. Again, it might not be necessary, but I want to have my ducks lined up before hand just in case.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 15 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #303

Master
Group Icon

Not an "issue" in the sense of something wrong. Instead, it seems that once I finally bit the bullet and convinced myself to shell out for a 2tb WD Black HDD, it's out of stock everywhere. No big deal except it slows down getting the new PC configured to the point it can become my primary rig.

Along those same lines, I convinced myself to spend $9.99 at GOG for their edition of Oblivion, which doesn't require either online or disk validation to launch. Wouldn't ya know that when I went to the site their sale had just ended. It's still only $20, but I decided to pass. I already own three copies of Oblivion after all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 17 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #304

Master
Group Icon

Since assembling my new PC I've not been happy with what little sound quality I am nowadays able to appraise. Specifically, I don't hear adequate rear channel sound in Oblivion, which I did with my "old" PC. A week or two ago I noticed that the rear left speaker puts out distorted sound, while the others produce clean audio (so far as my decrepit hearing can ascertain). I feared something wrong with the PC motherboard's sound circuitry. I then discovered that "tapping" the power amp with sufficient force causes the offending speaker to cut out altogether. I later recalled that that channel had acted finicky even on the "old" rig, but only occasionally, and tapping the amp fixed sound rather than silenced it. I'm not yet 100% sure if the problem is in the amp itself or a connector. I'm guessing amp, but we shall see.

Should it need replacing, I've an old audiophile grade NEC a/v receiver collecting dust on a shelf in the living room. Problem is, it needs to be set to defaults, then adjusted to produce equal volume from all four PC speakers, a mismatched set. (The fronts are an ancient Realistic bookshelf model from the early 70s when Radio Shack still carried respectable quality gear, the rears a pair of Polk bookshelf units from the mid 80s. The misbehaving amp is a 4-channel fairly low power Yamaha from the mid 80s.) Thing is, the NEC is so old it doesn't sport HDMI or any other video connectors more recent than RCA and "SVGA." Neither of my PC monitors accept those. I can hook the NEC to my living room Samsung, which DOES accept RCA input. That'll let me reset channel levels to default, but I still have no way to adjust 'em for the PC speakers. On the plus side, the NEC will let me add a center channel should I so choose. (And yes, I've a spare one of those handy.) I don't believe a gaming centric PC needs a center channel, but if properly set up it surely won't hurt.

Another minus, the NEC is heavy. SUPER heavy. A younger me wouldn't give it a seconds thought. As I am now I'm not sure I can lift the thing, much less carry it where it needs to go. (Those old audiophile units were built like tanks.)

This is, thankfully, the only PC related issue that comes to mind. My recent build went well, with only a few minuscule SNAFUs during the assembly process, all easily corrected.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 18 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #305

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Ugh. Finding out what causes sound issues is a PAIN. Had to do it myself with my current rig and it still doesn't function as it did on my last one. Then it played perfect surround sound including music in all speakers, now it only plays music in the front ones. But it produces nice surround effects so I just leave it at that.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 18 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #306

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 18 2017, 03:52 AM) *

Ugh. Finding out what causes sound issues is a PAIN. Had to do it myself with my current rig and it still doesn't function as it did on my last one. Then it played perfect surround sound including music in all speakers, now it only plays music in the front ones. But it produces nice surround effects so I just leave it at that.

I've got that going on too. I've assumed it's due to the sound chips and/or audio control panel on my Gigaybyte motherboard being understandably not as sophisticated as the $100+ sound card in my i7-930 rig. Then again, maybe I just haven't stumbled on the right control setting. One can hope.

My PC issue of the day centers on my having recently bumped up font size in Windows 10 from default 100% to 125% to make reading text easier on my tired old eyes. Since then YouTube videos watched in windowed view via Firefox have been blurry. I recalled having this issue on the i7-930 under identical circumstances. Back then I researched it, found a fix, and implemented it. Problem solved. This time I could not find the web article containing the fix. No biggie. I booted the i7-930, opened its Firefox, checked my installed add-ons, found the one containing the fix, installed it on the new PC and configured its options to match those on the i7-930. Fixed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 23 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #307

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Seems like my snassy graphics card has given up now. Currently using the onboard graphics which leaves A LOT to be desired.

Oblivion? Nope. Fallout 3? Pffh. I can run the chess game but I can't use the 3D graphics.

Have my guy on it though and hopefully things will get back to normal before Y3K.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 23 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #308

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 23 2017, 01:21 PM) *

Seems like my snassy graphics card has given up now. Currently using the onboard graphics which leaves A LOT to be desired.

Oblivion? Nope. Fallout 3? Pffh. I can run the chess game but I can't use the 3D graphics.

Have my guy on it though and hopefully things will get back to normal before Y3K.

Ugh! You picked a bad to have your GPU go south! Well, depending on what you want to replace it with. I was unknowingly extremely lucky in buying my GTX1070 several months before ordering the rest of the parts needed for my "new" PC build. Prices for the better graphics cards, which my is numbered amongst, have skyrocketed due to "mining". Not all cards are affected, but many of the more desirable GPUs are. Then again, maybe things aren't so bad in your neck of the woods?????

Best of luck (says the fellow preaching doom and gloom) smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 24 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #309

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Thanks, Decrepit smile.gif

I had a nvidia GeForce GT250 and want something similar as that has worked well with my games. We'll see what the tech guy comes up with.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #310

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 24 2017, 09:33 AM) *

Thanks, Decrepit smile.gif

I had a nvidia GeForce GT250 and want something similar as that has worked well with my games. We'll see what the tech guy comes up with.

Interesting. I wonder if the GT250 is from the same generation as my old GTX260??? An odd coincidence if it is, as that card is the only GPU I've owned that died from no apparent cause. (In the long ago dark ages I owned a PCI (not PCIe) slot graphics card that got fried during a lightning storm. Or was it an ISA slot card?)

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 24 2017, 08:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 24 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #311

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 24 2017, 03:42 PM) *

Interesting. I wonder if the GT250 is from the same generation as my old GTX260??? An odd coincidence if it is, as that card is the only GPU I've owned that died from no apparent cause. (In the long ago dark ages I owned a PCI (not PCIe) slot graphics card that got fried during a lightning storm. Or was it an ISA slot card?)

I think the first number is the generation (except that now we've reached 10!) and the second was the type of card. IIRC the x70's were the biggest, fastest single cards, and then the x80's were SLI-capable, and the x90's were dual-slot SLI-included monsters. In effect an x90 was two x80's in one package. What was below that, I don't recall, but it may just be been less VRAM on-board than the top ones. The processors were often the same. (Early ones may also have been PCI and AGP slot variants in the lower numbers).

I run two 680's for triple-screen surround, which is a few generations old now, so Skyrim SE is a bit of a strain at 6000x1080 unless I turn things down a bit. LE runs maxed, but I haven't overloaded with higher-res textures.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 24 2017, 10:04 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 8 2017, 02:53 AM
Post #312

Master
Group Icon

I'm getting somewhat used to the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard I switched to after assembling the new PC. Sort of. Thing is, its keys are slightly bigger than those on my old ergonomic keyboard. Unlike a certain US president who shall remain nameless, I readily admit to having tiny hands. The new stretch is uncomfortable for me. I'm getting better at correctly hitting most letter keys, but not as good at it as I was with the old keyboard. Number and F-key rows are awkward. I fish and miss a lot there. My fingers tend to become stiff and sore after a lengthy typing session. It doesn't help that, like most modern keyboards, mine is black with white letter symbols. The old ergonomic is beige with black symbols, which I far prefer.

On the other hand, the old ergonomic B-key occasionally sticks, and the ridges atop F and J have worn to practically nothing. If I type on the old ergonomic now ... it's attached to my secondary computer ... it feels awkwardly small. More comfortable for my hands, but I'm no longer used to its finger stretch.

In general, the new PC hasn't given me a lick of trouble since assembly. My only real complaint is that its onboard audio doesn't equal that of my stand-along Soudblaster X-fi card. But I knew that going in. Boy do I wish the X-fi was PCIe rather than PCI. Although boot time beyond a certain point is of no significance to me, I gotta admit it boots impressively fast. I'd estimate 8-10sec from power-on to Win10 Desktop. I unexpectedly sorta like the motherboard's RBG bling. Not that it matters. The computer sits to the left of my desk. Its glass window is case left. Ergo, I never see the bling. I might as well have bought a case sans window. laugh.gif

ADDENDUM:
Forgot to mention that my audio power amp issue has not gone away. It's better than it was, but not cured. I suspect I'd need to replace it for that to happen. I still swat the amp's top ever now and again to ensure all four channels play. Otherwise, sometimes the rear left channel is dead. Sometimes the right. Sometimes the rear left plays but is distorted and/or hums. Sometimes swatting fixes one issue but triggers another. If I swat long enough eventually all four channels work. Once they work, they tend to stay fixed until I need to shut the computer down, though that's not a given.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 14 2017, 03:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 20 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #313

Spam Meister
Group Icon

New graphics card installed! And it even seems to be working, fancy that tongue.gif

Nvidia again, Geforce GTX 1060 with 3GB memory. Initial trial run with Fallout 3 got greenlit. Haven't tried Oblivion yet but expect no problems.

Overall: Yay! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Sep 20 2017, 07:43 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 20 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #314

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 20 2017, 01:43 PM) *

New graphics card installed! And it even seems to be working, fancy that tongue.gif

Nvidia again, Geforce GTX 1060 with 3GB memory. Initial trial run with Fallout 3 got greenlit. Haven't tried Oblivion yet but expect no problems.

Overall: Yay! biggrin.gif

Woot! goodjob.gif
The GTX1060 ain't bad at all. Prolly decently faster than the GTX670 housed in what is now my secondary computer.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 20 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #315

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My secondary computer has Windows Millennium on it rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 21 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #316

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 20 2017, 02:58 PM) *

My secondary computer has Windows Millennium on it rollinglaugh.gif
Yikes!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 21 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #317

Master
Group Icon

Don't know if anyone else uses CCleaner by Piriform, but it has apparently been hacked.

An uninstall is advisable.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 21 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #318

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Sep 21 2017, 05:15 PM) *

Don't know if anyone else uses CCleaner by Piriform, but it has apparently been hacked.

An uninstall is advisable.

Thanks for the reminder. I saw a blurb about this several days ago, but it contained no specifics. I need to research and find out what's going on. Maybe it's just one release version that affected?????

ADDENDUM: Here's a detailed article on the issue. It is indeed confined to one specific free download version, spelled out in the article. Thankfully the version I'm running is NOT hacked. Also, the free download(s) now available at the official site are (supposedly) safe. But yes, if you run CCleaner for sure check and see if you need to take action to protect yourself.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 21 2017, 11:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 22 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #319

Ancient
Group Icon

Another article regarding the CCleaner:

https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the-cclean...curity-incident

Thanks for the heads=up, Treydoggie!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 22 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #320

Master
Group Icon

I do use CCleaner on the BOOTCAMP side, but not on the Mac side.

As I haven't logged into BOOTCAMP (my Win7 boot drive inside my Mac tower) since May/June, I'm good.

Whew!

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:48 AM