> General RPG discussions
SubRosa
post Jan 14 2021, 06:22 AM
Post #81

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 13 2021, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 14 2020, 02:40 PM) *

It wasn't that bad. I have been using Windows 10 on my laptop for a couple of years, so I got all the surprises out of my system. The update itself was simple. Afterward I had to go through all the usual things of creating new file associations, setting desktop colors, wallpapers, and the like. The same as any time you install Windows. Thankfully it has been out long enough for people to create programs to fix the largest things I dislike, like the inability to customize the start menu, the removal of the recent items list, and putting the file properties window on the side rather than the bottom. I had to reinstall several games to get them to work. But they did eventually work.

Well, there ya go! With Total War Amazon done, might it be time for you to be our guinea pig for Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? tongue.gif

Not yet. It was on sale over the holidays, but not by enough for me to want to buy it. Maybe in the future it will come down more, and I will give it a chance.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2021, 03:04 AM
Post #82

Ancient
Group Icon

I started playing Sword Coast Legends again last night. It has been a long time since I tried playing it. I actually finished the tutorial for the first time, and am in the beginning of it. The game got lambasted, but it is ok. I would not say it is great however. But is is far from bad.

The voice acting is good. Lots of different accents. So far the characters are interesting too.

You can save anywhere at anytime. But there seems to be only a single save game. As you cannot go to a Load screen and choose to load a specific one. You click on Load and it just starts up from the last time you saved. So that is asking for your game to be ruined by save file corruption.

There are no console commands, or save game editors. Which disappoints me, because I like to use them to customize my characters, and do things outside of class structures. Like give January some kind of lightning bolt attack. I did find some Trainers, which among other things will give you lots of points to spend on attributes and perks. So maybe I will experiment with that.

The camera will not let you zoom in much to see your character, and there seems to be no way of using custom portraits. The graphics are good though.

It is very heavily team-focused. You start with a group of 3 NPCs with you, and seems to be how it goes through the game. I don't think you can create your own custom NPCs like you could in Pillars of Eternity. But they do start you with a Fighter, a Rogue, and a Cleric. A Wizard/Necromancer joins soon after. So far you can only have 4 total characters in your party. But that might change later.

I find the combat to be really fast, and hard to keep track of everything everyone is doing. It is also brutal. I had to lower the difficulty from Medium to Easy. I also had to spend a lot of time micromanaging the cleric to keep dishing out healing during the battles.

The rule system seems to be based on D&D. But it is very video-gamey. I have not played table top D&D since version 3.5, so I cannot be sure if 5.0 is like this or not. uses. Like a lot of crpgs it gives you branching trees of perks to buy, all based on your class. Said perks all have a cooldown time between. So it feels a lot like say Dragon Age that way. But the various races and classes are all straight D&D at least.

Jan and company fight a Mimic, which was pretending to be a treasure chest

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 17 2021, 05:32 AM
Post #83

Mouth
Group Icon

Hate those Mimics.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 17 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #84

Councilor
Group Icon

Yah me too. I added Mimics into Oblivion via Maskar's and they're just annoying. Well, they're supposed to be, that's their whole point! But I eventually removed them because they just feel like they're coming from outside the Elder Scrolls universe / aren't supported by lore books at all. Thank goodness MOO makes it easy to remove anything we don't want, while keeping stuff we do want.

Sword Coast Legends looks rather Baldur's-y but only because it's isometric. Looks as though it's not turn-based, is what I mean to say. More action-y.

Doncha love it when everybody's saying some game is bad, then you try it and lo, it doesn't seem as horrible? I assume by 'lambasting' you are talking about critical game reviewers, not so much gamers themselves, but still. Maybe bad ratings can cause some sort of a launching pad within our minds. We read it's bad, expect that it'll be bad, and so on,

Then again, when I discovered Oblivion it was due to a game review in which the guy gave it A+, and to this day I feel like that reviewer nailed it pretty good. smile.gif Not so much the rating, but the way he described it as 'do anything / go anywhere', which is exactly what I love. I still feel the same way about that game as I did in 2008.

Sorry. Rambling. unsure.gif Maybe I should start gaming.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 17 2021, 06:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 18 2021, 05:27 AM
Post #85

Ancient
Group Icon

I played some more Sword Coast Legends. I think the multiplayer parts of it no longer work, since the developer went out of business and Steam delisted the game (you still need Steam to play however). But in addition to the two single player campaigns there is a mode to play a random dungeon. You say how many levels you want it to be, what kind of monsters, etc... and the game generates the dungeon for you and off you go. You can go alone, or bring up to 3 NPC compaions from the single player campaign. I tried that a bit, and leveled up some of my companions.

It also has support for user-created dungeons. I have not looked to see if any are out there however.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 15 2021, 12:33 AM
Post #86

Ancient
Group Icon

Tamriel: Zero Dawn

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 15 2021, 01:43 AM
Post #87

Paladin
Group Icon

Aloy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 11 2021, 06:22 PM
Post #88

Councilor
Group Icon

Three types

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 11 2021, 06:46 PM
Post #89

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 15 2021, 04:04 AM) *

I started playing Sword Coast Legends again last night.

You can save anywhere at anytime. But there seems to be only a single save game. As you cannot go to a Load screen and choose to load a specific one. You click on Load and it just starts up from the last time you saved. So that is asking for your game to be ruined by save file corruption.

Ugh. Exactly what happened to my playthrough of Shining in the Darkness for the Genesis/MegaDrive. Had made some good progress, levelled up my crew nicely and alluvasudden BOOM! Save file was no longer loadable kvleft.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 12 2021, 02:03 AM
Post #90

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ May 11 2021, 01:22 PM) *

I have a plain old office chair.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 12 2021, 02:07 AM
Post #91

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 11 2021, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ May 11 2021, 01:22 PM) *

I have a plain old office chair.

Same. That being said, if I had more time to game I might would get a fancy chair.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 10 2021, 10:24 PM
Post #92

Master
Group Icon

Elden Ring looks pretty cool.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 10 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #93

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks. I checked Elden Ring out. Release Jan 2022. Looks like it could have potential. Single player Medieval fantasy open world rpg with character customization, mounted combat. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 11 2021, 12:36 AM
Post #94

Finder
Group Icon

I haven't really been playing attention to Elden Root until today. And I have to say, I am intrigued. Here is an interesting video that attempts to predict what Elden Root may be like, based on Miyazaki's past work:
Elden Ring Classes, Races & Stats Theory: Character Creation and Progression Gameplay Discussion
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 11 2021, 12:17 PM
Post #95

Master
Group Icon

I'll have to give that a lookie-loo on my lunch break. I, too, am wholly unfamiliar of the game outside of the E3 trailer they released yesterday.

Edit: website is up now and is more descriptive. https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/elden-ring

This post has been edited by Kane: Jun 11 2021, 12:22 PM

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2021, 08:22 AM
Post #96

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching the original Alien movies. Watching Resurrection made me yearn for a Alien RPG. It would be squad-based, isometric, tactical style game, like the Baldur's Gate games, or the Pillars of Eternity ones. You would have your main character, plus up to 5 companions. They might be NPCs you meet with their own backstories and quests, or generic adventurer's you can create yourself (like in the Pillars games), or a mix of both.

The story might be that you are on a world infested with Xenomorphs. The goal, survive and escape. You work your way through the game world, meeting people and recruiting them, or fighting them. You pick up weapons along the way, maybe find gunsmiths where you can upgrade them at certain points, etc... Plus all the usual leveling up with skills.

Your team ought to be a variety of types or "classes". Mercenaries, pirates, scientists, engineers, doctors, thieves, and so on. Each ought to have something they can add, and offer different ways to resolve problems. An engineer might be able to hotwire a door, a soldier might be able to blow it open, etc...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 17 2021, 12:49 PM
Post #97

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes! Alien and Alien 2 my two favorite sci fi movies. cool.gif There's so many background themes in those movies... it's not just humans versus monsters. I can still remember the looks on Paul Reiser's face after he tries to lock them all in, but then he's the one who gets eaten.

I am surprised there isn't already some sort of Alien game. Oh I see, a game which is isometric, like Baldur's. Yeah that would be kick ass.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 17 2021, 12:53 PM
Post #98

Master
Group Icon

Alien: Isolation is supposedly a fantastic game if you like a tinge of horror in your game life.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 24 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #99

Master
Group Icon

Anyone see the SW: KOTOR news? I never played the original, so I'll probably grab the remake for sure.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2021, 11:16 PM
Post #100

Ancient
Group Icon

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I looked it up. This is interesting. Aperion was a group that previously worked on a fan-made update of Kotor 1 using the old and open-sourced Unreal engine. They got a lot done before Disney shut them down with legal threats. Maybe someone got it through their thick skulls that being good capitalists and selling people what they want is a better more than being litigious?

Now Sony is onboard. I wonder what that will mean as far as what engine the game will use. Is that a sign that it will run on something owned by Sony?

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:03 AM