83 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
haute ecole rider
post Mar 5 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #121

Master
Group Icon

mALX, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Oblivion and the mods. These are mods I've used before in the past in my previous stable LO. Unfortunately, the link I used to set up the install order in Wrye Bash (not the load order) is no longer active, so I can't remember which mods get installed first. I do know the texture mods (i.e. Qarl's TP3) get installed first, but after that I can't quite recall! Ugh.

ghastley, is there a way to fix the issue you are describing? It certainly sounds like a possible cause, though this problem occurs after adding mods, not removing them.

There is one mod that I've used before, but gave me pause when I went to download it. Its the TIE - Tamriel Immersion Experience. I really like what it does to Cyrodiil, and have found that I just can't play without it. However, instead of a single file on the Nexus, it now has two versions, one for older versions of Better Cities (BC), and one for newer versions. I'm wondering if this now means that I can't play without Better Cities? I prefer mods that add new locations (like Arthmoor's village mods) rather than mods that overhaul existing vanilla locations.

What I really like about TIE are the added traders on the roads, and the *gasp* fewer bandits and nasties out there. I'd consider an alternative mod if that's all it did . . .

I'm totally dying to try out the QTP3 Redimized texture pack and one of two alternatives I found for vegetation, but I want to make sure I have a full stable LO with all my previously used mods from before first.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 5 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #122

Ancient
Group Icon

Do you have an SSD drive? And if so, do you have some of your stuff on the SSD drive and some one the standard drive? Is your SSD drive overly full? They don't work well under pressure.

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 5 2015, 08:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 5 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #123

Master
Group Icon

Nope, this is the same MacPro I've been using all along for Oblivion. The only new hardware is the Graphics card, which installed easily and is running the latest drivers.

I did have quite a bit of the usual crashing with just the vanilla game and the UOP patches (both Oblivion and SI), but I expected that. I copied the d3d9_27.dll file from the game CD into the game directory, as well as the Fast Exit dll, which I've used before without the problems. It reduced the crashes to just the ones I'm describing above. Those start occuring upon exiting the dungeon. I suspect either TIE or COBL, as those two mods I often install first to test.

I'm off to try again with just the vanilla game and the UOP's installed. But that doesn't mean I'm open to other ideas!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 6 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #124

Ancient
Group Icon

@ SubRosa - could this be caused by the same dual core threading issues that the Fallout games experience?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 6 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #125

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 6 2015, 04:26 PM) *

@ SubRosa - could this be caused by the same dual core threading issues that the Fallout games experience?

I don't think so. I have been following this, and drawing a blank. All I can think is some kind of save game corruption and/or mod issues, which is was ghastley warned about.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 7 2015, 03:53 AM
Post #126

Master
Group Icon

mALX, I had considered the dual core threading issues you mentioned. My MP is actually dual Quad Core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon (i.e. two quad-core processors). It has run Oblivion before without any issues.

I did run the 4Gb patch on the .exe file to make sure Oblivion recognizes the additional memory. Both the Process Explorer application and the GPU-Z tell me that with the patch the game makes better use of the GPU's higher capabilities.

I am suspicious that it may be either COBL or TIE that is causing the problem. I'm going to keep going. The other day I was able to play the MQ right up to entering the Oblivion Gate. I am still running the basic install with just Oblivion GOTY plus the UOP's. So far my saves are fine. I've already passed three points where the rot started on previous builds. So I plan to keep going with the vanilla stuff until I get past the last point (leaving Weynon Priory with Martin) that I could play the game without corrupted saves.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 7 2015, 07:14 AM
Post #127

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Mar 6 2015, 09:53 PM) *

mALX, I had considered the dual core threading issues you mentioned. My MP is actually dual Quad Core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon (i.e. two quad-core processors). It has run Oblivion before without any issues.

I did run the 4Gb patch on the .exe file to make sure Oblivion recognizes the additional memory. Both the Process Explorer application and the GPU-Z tell me that with the patch the game makes better use of the GPU's higher capabilities.

I am suspicious that it may be either COBL or TIE that is causing the problem. I'm going to keep going. The other day I was able to play the MQ right up to entering the Oblivion Gate. I am still running the basic install with just Oblivion GOTY plus the UOP's. So far my saves are fine. I've already passed three points where the rot started on previous builds. So I plan to keep going with the vanilla stuff until I get past the last point (leaving Weynon Priory with Martin) that I could play the game without corrupted saves.

Wait a minute, I remember something from a long time ago about graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire configurations don't play well with Oblivion. I think King Coin had some issues with his when he first got his new card installed.

Is your new card configured for SLI or Crossfire?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 7 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #128

Councilor
Group Icon

mALX, I've only seen mention of a single card, so SLI and Crossfire don't apply. They're ways to make two cards work like one, with nearly twice the horsepower (you lose a bit from the coordination work).

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 7 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #129

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 7 2015, 07:41 AM) *

mALX, I've only seen mention of a single card, so SLI and Crossfire don't apply. They're ways to make two cards work like one, with nearly twice the horsepower (you lose a bit from the coordination work).

I think the way King Coin ended up working it was to not use the SLI when he was playing a TES game (which aggravated him, because that is exactly why he had wanted the SLI to begin with).

But you are right, I didn't look back through to the original posts when I wrote that - (but did know SLI and Crossfire were for dual graphics, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 8 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #130

Master
Group Icon

Hey mALX, thanks for trying to help me resolve the issue. ghastley is right - I have a single GPU.

I restarted from new with just the Oblivion GOTY, SI, and the UOP for both. Everything went well until after I talked to Martin in the Kvatch camp. I've pinpointed the issue to when the PC mounts Paint while Martin is following. Before, I was able to make it all the way back to Weynon Priory because the Horse Commands mod I used let Paint follow alongside Martin. I initially thought it might be that, but no, it's either the UOP or the original game. Because it's a new glitch to me (I had never seen that before, and certainly not reproducible like this!), I have to suspect a scripting error or something like that.

I've backed up my files and made the executive decision to completely uninstall Oblivion and reinstall, following this procedure. I'm in the process of defragging the drive. Once I finish that, it's on to reinstallation of the game from scratch.

The irony of all this is: by the time I get done with this, I'm going to be a Windows expert! I certainly am learning a lot about how this works! At this point I feel like I know my way around Windows 7 almost as well as I do the Mac OS. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 8 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #131

Paladin
Group Icon

Good luck, Rider. I hope all goes well and yer back ta playin' soon! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 9 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #132

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Mar 8 2015, 09:19 PM) *

The irony of all this is: by the time I get done with this, I'm going to be a Windows expert! I certainly am learning a lot about how this works! At this point I feel like I know my way around Windows 7 almost as well as I do the Mac OS. blink.gif

*makes mental note to pester h-e-r about future puter problems*

-What? Oh, nothing biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Mar 9 2015, 08:08 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 10 2015, 12:41 AM
Post #133

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 9 2015, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Mar 8 2015, 09:19 PM) *

*makes mental note to pester h-e-r about future puter problems*

-What? Oh, nothing biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif If it's Mac or Boot Camp related pester away! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 10 2015, 03:11 AM
Post #134

Master
Group Icon

Okay new update for those following this tedious journey of the Misbehaving Oblivion.

I completed the uninstall-reinstall process outlined in the linky, and it seems to be working quite well. I was able to progress all the way to Martin's arrival at Cloud Ruler Temple without issues. I've started installing textures, and so far things look quite good. I'm ready to move on to the UI mods, but I'm taking a break from playing the game to research the options. I like the font choices of DarNUI, but not that I have to reset it every time I start the game. I like the ease of setup with Immersive Interface, also that I can make the compass go away.

I'm nearly eight hours into the game. Looks like the issues I've been having have gone away. Hopefully it's not too early to celebrate! huh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 10 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #135

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yay! h-e-r can finally start wasting time on an eight-year-old game again! Much like me biggrin.gif

Happy gaming!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 10 2015, 03:11 PM
Post #136

Master
Group Icon

Umm, I'm still adding mods back in and testing each step of the way. Until I've rebuilt my old load order and completed the MQ (great way to test your mod LO, if you ask me), I'm holding off on celebrating.

But wasting my time? Uh, yeah . . .

BTW, I'm playing with Julian. She is as awesome as evah!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #137

Ancient
Group Icon

I've kind of been a "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" type person - don't add the unofficial patches unless I find the situations come up that they will help. The same with the anti-aliasing. I will probably need them all one day, but until that day comes I don't install them. Not very "Girl Scout-ee" but keeps me from breaking my game before the time comes when I might need to, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 10 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #138

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I´m so with mALX on this! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 10 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #139

Ancient
Group Icon

I use the unofficial patch for Oblivion and SI. But not for Skyrim. I found that the one for Skyrim actually caused bugs for me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 10 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #140

Paladin
Group Icon

In Oblivion, I use just the primary game UOP but none of the DLC ones. Using OBMM.

In Skyrim, I use all the USKP's, including those for the DLC. Using NMM.

I've never had a problem related to the unofficial patches in either game. Admittedly, my whole load order stays at or below 50 mods (and no 'overhauls'), so everything is probably easier with a light load order.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

83 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 07:22 PM