4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Companionable Adventure of Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch
McBadgere
post May 5 2012, 05:13 AM
Post #61

Councilor
Group Icon

Many many thanks to you all, I'm so glad you're all reading and enjoying...Always a good thing... smile.gif ...Thank you...

But most espescially, a huge thank you to Acadian...As I knew there was going to be a magic repair hammer involved, and I've always thought that Buffy's conjoured repair hammer was such a cool idea, I sought - and received - permission for a subtle Buffy (reference) cameo in that last part...So, thank you very much Acadian, much appreciated...

A brief recap...J'Zirlo and Wulff Olfsson had been sent undercover to the Companions (a kind of Skyrim Fighters Guild) to try and get their help for the overarching Knights' mission in Skyrim. Sadly, in just over a couple of hours, at least two of the Compaions elders have found out their secret. Having confessed all to the Blacksmith - Eorlund Grey-Mane, J'Zirlo is now en-route to talking with the not-quite-leader-but-really-is-really of the Companions, Kodlak Whitemane.

Thank you...

-------------------------------

I managed to reach Jorrvaskr without anyone new discovering that Olfsson and I were Knights of The Nine. Which seemed to be a feat worthy of congratulations in itself. Although, we will allow that this may only be because there was no one to be seen between the blackmith’s and the longhouse.

I paused by the doors, breathed deeply a few times to calm myself, and then walked in.

The smell of wood-smoke hit me as I entered the long room beneath the upturned longboat. Someone had obviously rebuilt the fire-pit in the middle of the room with fresh wood and coal. I followed a patch of smoke - as it belched forth - up to the roof and through a cut-away section of the hull, which had then been covered by a small raised roof structure, with large space for the smoke to get out of the sides. Presumably they were thinking they were unlikely to need the ship after so long then? And did it not get cold with a giant hole up there?

“Hey! I know who you are!” shouted a somewhat drunken voice.

Oh, for the sake of The Nine!

“Yeah, you’re my new best drinking buddy.” said an approaching Nord. The one I remembered as being called Torvar; Tall and bearded man, seemingly in a perpetual haze of something. He reached me and grabbed me in a ferocious bear-hug. “Aaahhhh, there it is.” He said. “Where you headed buddy? Come grab a tankard, we’ll talk shop.”

“Shop? You have a shop too?”

“HAAA!” he grinned. “Good lad. Nah, me and Athis,” The Dunmer from earlier, “were discussing your fight with Wolfshead.”

Talking of which. “Ah yes, indeed...Where is Wolfshead, by the way?”

“Er...I think he went off with Aela and Skjor.”

“Skjor?”

“Yeah, you know?...Small chap?...Always looks like he’s thinking of the best way to bite your head off?”

“Oh yes, I remember. That was what Farkas called him.” I said and Torvar nodded with a grin. I then said, “Well, my...Buddy, please will you forgive Khajiit, he has to see the Kodlak.” and I bowed my head.

“Fair enough. Fair enough.” He said, raised his tankard in salute, then turned and walked away. He said over his shoulder. “Come find me and we’ll see who would win in a drink-off, Nord versus Khajiit. Oh yeah.”

“Well, he likes you.” Said a voice at my shoulder. I believe I lost another one of my supposed nine lives at that point.

“Aaaah!...Friend Farkas! Yes...So it seems. Um, we are on our way to see the Kodlak...Though I have to ask...Which way is it?”

Farkas looked at me for a brief while with his head tilted to one side, frowning. “Well, friend, I’ll show you. But at some point soon, we will talk. Come on.”

Friend Farkas walked off to the left and presently, I followed him.

We had just passed the end of the long tables when there was a thundering of feet along said tables and a “Kcheeeyaaaah!”

I spun around, only to find myself landed on by a rather fast travelling Nord woman. I then found myself pinned down on my back, with her astride my chest, her strong arms holding mine down on the floor. We could have gotten up, we suppose, but...Well...We will allow that it wasn’t exactly an unpleasant sensation, put it that way. As it were...

Nadja of the colourful curse bent down and said in my ear, “I don’t normally do this sort of thing, I usually just ignore the new blood...But you and Wolfshead, you’re different, you make me want to...” and then she listed the many and varied things that we had made her want to do...In detail...Not all of which I believed were possible...Then she sat back in a place that perhaps we would not have wanted her to - in public at least - and then finished her taunting by grabbing my hands and placing them around her waist. Then she stood up and walked so she was stood almost directly above my head, she said, “Remember, Whiterun girls like it a bit Plain, but Markath girls like it deeper.” and walked off over my head.

I still have no idea what she meant.

Farkas chuckled and dropped an arm so as to help me up.

“Wow...Smooth moves lover-boy.”

“Um.” I countered expertly.

“Ha-ha.” Farkas smiled and walked off, “Come on. It’s down these stairs.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We descended the stairs and went through the doorway at the bottom into a stone built, barrel vault. It travelled for some distance down to a set of large doors, which at this point, were open. Beyond those we could see another, smaller set of doors beyond a small-ish hallway.

It appeared that where we stood was a common room of some sort. There were tables and chairs to each side, along the length of the room. To our immediate left there were a few comfortable cushioned chairs and sofas, along with a few bookcases. On the opposite wall was the door to a bunk room.

“Oh yeah,” Farkas said, following my gaze, “I put your pack in there when I showed Wolfshead around earlier. Come, I’ll show you.”

As I followed him into the bunk room containing a goodly amount of beds, I said to friend Farkas, “Our new...Um...Buddy, Torvar said he went off with Aela and Skjor. Any idea as to where?”

“Not exactly, no. Probably it’s taking on a Bandit Chief somewhere, but if Kodlak sent those three off together, I’m pretty sure it was for a reason.”

“Ah, nevermind, Wolfshead is a big boy now, we are sure he will keep himself in the amount of trouble he has been accustomed to.”

Farkas smiled. “With those two? I wouldn’t worry about his getting bored any time soon.”

I realised there was a presence at my elbow. I looked down into the eyes of an old woman. Eyes which flashed brightly with mischief.

“Hello new boy,” she said merrily. “I’m Tilma. They,” she said pointing to Farkas, “call me Tilma the Haggard...And yet expect me to pick up their cr@p covered armour every time they come back...Hmmm?” she winked at me as Farkas looked away embarrassedly. “Now, they don’t think I listen, but I do, so if you need to know some dirt on anyone, I’ve got it...For a price of course.” She smiled a wicked smile that we suspected had broken many hearts, a few moons ago, granted. “I’m looking forward to finding out your secrets...” Tilma trailed off with a question in her expression.

“J’Zirlo. J’Zirlo of New Kvatch.”

“Oooh, long ways from home aren’t you Kitty? Nevermind, we’ll keep you warm at night.” She said and patted my behind.

What was it with these Nords?

Tilma winked at me and then walked off, back to whatever duties she had.

“Wow, you’re good.” Farkas remarked and chuckled some more for good measure. “Come on, he’s down here.”

We walked towards the opened doors at the end of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 5 2012, 07:08 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 5 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

Ok I was really confused at the beginning. Looking back didn’t help. Going forward did luckily. Whew.

The Khajiit is a magical master smith? Cool. goodjob.gif

Wait, was that a mention of Buffy? biggrin.gif

EDIT: Damnit you updated. Er, I mean yeah! whistling.gif

J’Zirlo is absolutely terrible at keeping secrets. Who sent him? laugh.gif I can imagine the thought process: “He’s a Khajiit. They’re sneaky right? Send him.”

Ugh… that woman. Tilma. Creepy old lady. She might have been the reason my Khajiit Aravi never actually spent a night in Jorrvaskr and instead rented from the Bannered Mare until she bought a home of her own.

This post has been edited by King Coin: May 5 2012, 05:37 AM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 5 2012, 05:19 AM
Post #63

Councilor
Group Icon

Hah!!... biggrin.gif ...

Sorry mate... biggrin.gif ...

Cheers...
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 5 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #64

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't know when I've laughed so hard - loved this chapter from beginning to end! J'Zirlo in the Companions is going to keep me in stitches !!! Awesome Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 5 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #65

Councilor
Group Icon

I managed to reach Jorrvaskr without anyone new discovering that Olfsson and I were Knights of The Nine.

laugh.gif Not bad, since it’s nearly a full minute’s walk. Ah, J’Zirlo. wub.gif

Oh my, the ladies of Jorrvaskr are all over Khajiit! Maybe they’ve been reading The Real Barenziah, Daggerfall Edition. tongue.gif I love it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 5 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

Not all of which I believed were possible.

And that is why I love J'Zirlo. biggrin.gif

A great fun chapter in a great fun story. Looking forward to more, and it's good to see they managed to last a whole instalment without their cover being blown! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 6 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #67

Paladin
Group Icon

Loved the tongue-in-cheek as J’Lo was proud that he hadn’t spilled any more beans because there was no one in sight to spill them to.

Poor J’Lo. First he gets his chest sat upon, then gets his rump patted. I agree that his response was as expert as he professed: “Um.”

Seriously, this was a delightful episode to read! Great work. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 20 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #68

Councilor
Group Icon

Thankee all... biggrin.gif ...I love this story meself, very much a light relief from t'other one... tongue.gif ...

Where we were, J'Zirlo was being taken to see Kodlak Whitemane by Farkas...

“Well, my room’s that way and Vilkas’ is opposite,” said friend Farkas, pointing to the right “and that side is Aela and Skjor.” He indicated left. “We get the posh rooms because we’re top dogs around here...Um...I mean, we’re the top...Uh...ones around here. The Circle we call it. Ah, I’m sure you’ll see...Just...Don’t be in any great hurry to join us...I’m pretty sure that’s why Vilkas is so pissed at you.”

I believe that was the most Farkas had said in one go, the entire time we had been talking all afternoon.

“What do you mean my friend? I’m afraid it may be an unfortunate consequence of our previous work that we wind up being counted amongst you Circular types.”

“Don’t worry,” he tilted his head and a smirk played at the corner of his mouth, “I’m sure you’ll find everything out eventually.”

“Oh.” I said.

We approached the next set of doors. We could hear a pair of voices, raised in argument - Whitemane and Vilkas it sounded like.

Farkas was about to knock the door when I reached and held his forearm before he could contact. I augmented my hearing so as to hear the words inside.

“What do you mean you’re absolutely sure we can trust them? You’ve barely spoken to them since they arrived, and now one of them is off with Aela and Skjor, Gods only know where?”

“Why is it you all of a sudden think you can question my decisions Vilkas? Would you like me to show you why it is I’m still, after all this time, the one at the head of this merry band?”

“You know exactly why it is that I’m determined that you not to let anyone else in until all...This is taken care of.”

I heard Whitemane sigh, “Yes, Vilkas I know. But please, you’ve followed my guidance this far, why not simply take it as...A sign from the Divines...I am absolutely certain that with these two newcomers, we have the greatest chance of any that have tried, to remove this abomination, since it was so graciously bestowed upon us.”

Abomination? What was this about? Farkas seemed to be able to hear well enough and seemed to be refusing to meet my eye.

“How can you possibly have so much faith in two strangers?” Vilkas continued, “A fool and a Khajiit at that?”

“My dear Vilkas, Faith has everything to do with it. And I wouldn’t be so quick to brand Wolfshead as fool just yet.”

“I believe no good will come of this.”

“Well I believe the Divines have finally answered this old fool’s prayers to be able to restore The Companions to the ideals that Ysgramor himself aspired to.”

I felt a tightening of the throat. Whatever was needed, I would not let this man down - as if he was one of my own brothers. And I mean fellow Knights of course, J’Zargo can go tickle a bear’s underparts and see what happens for all I care.

I jest.

No, really.

There was a pause in the argument and then Whitemane said, “Are you done questioning my authority?”

“Not quite, as we have seen, you’ve seem to have been letting anyone join us lately...Is there a plan or have you simply given up? Torvar is drunk almost all the time; Athis is lazy; Nadja is perpetually either angry or horny; Ria...Gods only know with Ria...What exactly does she do?”

“Your point?”

“They are nothing and nobodies, they-”

A split second’s warning was all I had to move Farkas out of the way as the doors splintered. Vilkas passed us and skidded a ways along the carpet on his armoured back.

“Whoa there Kitty!” Farkas said, “You move that fast with the ladies? No wonder they love you.”

Whitemane walked past us and stood at Vilkas’ feet.

“You want to challenge me? Go right ahead. But you talk mighty snobbish for the child of a Necromancer cult,” I heard Farkas inhale sharply. Whitemane continued, “Now piss off and get drunk you officious, stuck-up, entitled wanker. Go pick a fight with someone else or I’ll wipe the floor with you.”

Vilkas’ eyes were wide and he backed up on his hands, turned as quickly as he could and made for the doors out.

Without turning around Whitemane said, “I profoundly apologise to you Farkas. You know I love you both as my own sons. I’m sorry.”

“No need, he is a stuck-up wanker.”

Whitemane laughed once. “You wish to see me master J’Zirlo.” It was not a question. “You will have to excuse us dear Farkas. I appear to have no door. Give us some time and then have a couple of the others come and help make a new one. Should keep them out of mischief for a time.”

“Aye, will do.”

Whitemane nodded and Farkas left.

The Kodlak extended a hand towards his office and we went inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 20 2012, 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 20 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #69

Ancient
Group Icon

Nadja is perpetually either angry or horny; Ria...Gods only know with Ria...What exactly does she do?”

A split second’s warning was all I had to move Farkas out of the way as the doors splintered. Vilkas passed us and skidded a ways along the carpet on his armoured back. Vilkas’ eyes were wide and he backed up on his hands, turned as quickly as he could and made for the doors out.

ROFL !!! I pictured Vilkas yelping like a whipped pup as he beat it out on all fours, ROFL !! Awesome Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 20 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #70

Master
Group Icon

It's good, but there was, perhaps, a bit of overuse on the emphasis in the speech there, which rather perversely had the effect of lessening the emphasis you wanted. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the chapter was great (the interaction between Vilkas and Kodlak was brilliant) but it might be a good idea to go through and rub out some of those underlines.

Otherwise, spiffing stuff.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 20 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #71

Councilor
Group Icon

Thankee mALX... biggrin.gif ...Much appreciated...

Thank you mein Colonel... biggrin.gif ...Editing done...Better m'friend?... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 21 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #72

Paladin
Group Icon

’J’Zargo can go tickle a bear’s underparts and see what happens for all I care.’
This is just cute as a button!

Never Rimming the Sky myself, I’m guessing the path ahead involves Whitemane being relieved by the appearance of some Knights of the Nine to help him rid the Companions of their wolfish ways? Methinks J’Lo be just the cat to do it? Or not. No, really. tongue.gif

So Whitemane does indeed show why he be the boss and the other fellow just a wanker. Loved the splintering door.

Quite a precursor to J’Lo’s meeting with Whitemane.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Athynae
post May 21 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #73

Knower
Group Icon

Hehe, I do like a good go 'round, especially when some blown up wanker gets taught a lesson. Sounds like there is a bit of conflict over the Knights arrival but it will be handled by the 'top dogs' in short order. Speaking of dogs wasn't that one of them that scurried out the door on his all fours????

Great stuff yet again McB, when do we get more? Of either, I like them both equally.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 21 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #74

Finder
Group Icon

This is great! Loved it when Kodlak threw Vilkas through the door biggrin.gif It shows how much he cares about his fellow companions, and that he isn't quite as old as he looks. And Farkas comment when J'Zirlo pulled him out of the way was hilarious tongue.gif The only thing I think was not so good was how much you underlined in the last piece. It kind of pulled my attention from the story a bit. But otherwise, good job!

And I'll be following this story.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 21 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #75

Councilor
Group Icon

I love it when Farkas tries to talk. wub.gif

“How can you possibly have so much faith in two strangers?” Vilkas continued, “A fool and a Khajiit at that?”

What?! After that it was pure fun to see Vilkas slide along the floor. It seems that Farkas and J’Z have the same opinion of their brothers!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 24 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

When you mentioned secrets being revealed, I thought the wolf was out of the bag. But you proved otherwise, you sly Badger you!

"Yeah, you know?...Small chap?...Always looks like he’s thinking of the best way to bite your head off?”
Sure sounds like Skjor. The angry beastie-baldie.

"They call me Tilma the Haggard...And yet expect me to pick up their cr@p covered armour every time they come back...Hmmm?”
Are you kidding me? C.R.A.P is censored? Bummer. Anyways, scary old woman. I would raise an eyebrow and tell her to kindly go away.

"We get the posh rooms because we’re top dogs around here...Um...I mean, we’re the top...Uh...ones around here"
laugh.gif Tongue slip ftw! Cat has to get his tongue(sorry for the lame puns, but I just had to). This is not good for the Circular types. If they keep up with their nightly howling, their nasty wet-dog smelling selves and untriimmed ears, they might just as well strip nude and transform huh.gif

"Now piss off and get drunk you officious, stuck-up, entitled wanker. Go pick a fight with someone else or I’ll wipe the floor with you.”

Sorry...I...just...had to!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 27 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #77

Master
Group Icon

Haha, top dogs.

A fool and a Khajiit at that?
For a second I thought both fool and Khajiit were referring to the same person. Lol.

Not very fond of J’Zargo is he. Lol.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 PM