Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And now for something completely different!, A Second Chance, in the shape of a "Let's play" thread.
Read below
Name the race
Altmer [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Argonian [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Bosmer [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Breton [ 3 ] ** [17.65%]
Dunmer [ 4 ] ** [23.53%]
Imperial [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Khajiit [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Nord [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Orc [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Redguard [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
Rane
post Apr 18 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Lurker
Group Icon

In my quest to dust off the game shelf, I've finally arrived at O (just finished raging over the absence of a Metal Fatigue 2), meaning I've arrived at the CE box of Oblivion and it's time again to push the Adoring Fan down from Dive Rock ad nauseam.

The plan was to just give the game a short run and then put the box back in its spot but things kind of got out of control when I started to look for mods to improve the gameplay and for stuff that I didn't test back when I still played the game. Anyway, I'm now sitting here with a mod pile of moderate size and figured I'd just start it up and go with the flow as I play. There seems to be some mage-luvin' among the mods I've got so I'm going to roll a magic-oriented build, going with either a pure mage or mayhap the ever so popular spellsword/battlemage.

However, I haven't decided on a race yet since it really doesn't matter in the end so I'll leave that to you. There are a few ways we can do this, and the choice is yours.

Naah, just one way really. Whatever option wins the poll gets chosen. Post your reasons for your choice as well if you like, plus any special wishes you've got. Birthsigns, factions to join, places to see, people to taunt, favourite skimpiest chainmail bikini mods and stuff like that.

I'll let the poll run for an undefined number of days, leaving me some time to set up the mods and make sure they won't make my PC implode due to conflicts. Once I consider it to have run long enough I'll start up the character and get through the merry tutorial. After that, the fun begins. I've only got a few things I'm aching to test so I'm open to suggestions on where to take this session.

tl;dr choose your favourite race

It's over. The Darkies won.

Act One: CellOuts
Act Two: Elf in the Dark
Act Three: Pushing Through
Act Four: A little of the old, a little of the new
Act Five: The Road to Perjury
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Illydoor
post Apr 18 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Finder
Group Icon

I know you'd probably like me to elaborate on my choice, but truthfully all I can say is: Breton pwns.

This post has been edited by Illydoor: Apr 18 2009, 05:59 PM

--------------------
Have you ever thought about taking the dark and thorny path?
+Quote Post
Olen
post Apr 18 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Altmer. In the original magic was weak, it was far easier to complete the mages guild as a fighter than as a mage. So can mods sort this? Has altmer become a viable choice. I'd be interested to see if the game is even playable using only magic (not waving a sword about, not wearing armour).

For double points altmer apprentice, magic coming out yer ears but can it ever be worth the weakness? I never thought either was particularly viable so both together would be a challange.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 20 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

I picked Dunmer. You've got decent magical ability plus combat, making them a good choice if you're considering trying to be a battlemage.

And they look cool. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Badda-Tish
post Apr 20 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Agent

I picked Nord because I like them and I didnīt know what this thread was about tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 20 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

I picked Argonian, cause they've got the most awesome voice. Even without the voice they're awesome. At least the males are, the females are just creepy for some reason.

As for mods, can I suggest Midas' something? I don't remember the title but it's in the top 100 on Tesnexus. Apart from giving you the ability to summon a chest from hammerspace (breaks the game, but I'm a compulsive hoarder.), there are plenty of other spells. I'm trying to gather the ingredients for nuclear blast right now. Because there is no such thing as overkill.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Dunmerdude
post Apr 23 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #7

Associate

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Apr 20 2009, 01:55 PM) *

I picked Dunmer. You've got decent magical ability plus combat, making them a good choice if you're considering trying to be a battlemage.

And they look cool. biggrin.gif

Ah Dunmer 1st pick for all good n00bs.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 23 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Well they are a handy starting point for anybody who's new to the game, as they're good all-rounders. Personally, I prefer playing a redguard or nord, simply because I do best at running into rooms and bashing everything there.
+Quote Post
Illydoor
post Apr 25 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

Yes. Nord is definitely good at that. Problem is once running in and bashing stuff stops working anymore, thats when you start wanting a decent magic character. Although to be honest Nords are just so fun to play with all the bashing and the running laugh.gif.

--------------------
Have you ever thought about taking the dark and thorny path?
+Quote Post
Rane
post Apr 27 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #10

Lurker
Group Icon

Well, the current poll result is quite a sight eh? I was expecting to see pure Dunmer/Breton domination but I guess this is more exciting. I might just end up having to roll some dice or something to pick a race in the end if we don't see a vote to break the tie.

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Apr 20 2009, 11:58 PM) *

As for mods, can I suggest Midas' something? I don't remember the title but it's in the top 100 on Tesnexus.

Worry not for it is on the list.

Edit: Possibly found the cause for the freezes I've been experiencing. That's what I get for buying one of the early 4870s I guess.
Expect to see this thing kick off tomorrow.

This post has been edited by Rane: May 2 2009, 07:39 PM
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 27 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #11

Wizard
Group Icon

I hate to be the one to recreate a tie after the Dunmer was leading, and I realize I could easily break the tie again by adding a gazillion votes to the Breton pick, but somehow I can't help but shake the feeling someone would become suspicious wink.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
minque
post May 10 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #12

Wise Woman
Group Icon

ha I picked Imperial, they're good looking and can be good at magic, besides I like the aristocrasy about them...

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aifïŋ―iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Rane
post May 17 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Lurker
Group Icon

Everyone who thought I forgot about this thread please breathe. That many? Damn.

Surprise surprise, it's kickin' off and it's happenin' right now. The Dunmer won the race with the Bretons and the Imperials coming second. Maybe next time guys.

And so, without further ado, let's ride.

Act One: CellOuts

IPB Image

Exciting, innit?

Cue the talking, bobbing, Uriel VII wax-o-head. After it's done with its babbling we get to the character generation. We'll let that happen off-stage since, quite frankly, it's a pain in the lower back with all the sliders. The blasted things seem to have minds of their own.

So let's skip to the first sight we see once in-game.

IPB Image

That's right. It's the thing that's on the mind and lips of everyone. You can never see enough of them Cyrodiilic walls. Ask anyone.

IPB Image

Before we've had a chance to find our bearings and clear our head we're disturbed by the local fauna. The guy's doing a mighty fine job at spinning the wheel but runs out of time before he can pick "Joke" and "Admire".

IPB Image

And heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Glenroy.

IPB Image

When you start dreaming about the people rotting your dungeons you know you're in need of a long vacation.

IPB Image

Fancy that, they're letting us go.

IPB Image

Goodbye Battered Stool. Goodbye Tan Jug and Cup. Goodbye Skull, Bone and Ribs. We'll miss you.

Mel Gibson just let out his cry and dropped to 4'9―".
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 17 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #14

Lurker
Group Icon

Act Two: Elf in the Dark

So we're out of the cell. It's time to bust out and endure whatever awaits in these dark hallways.

IPB Image

Close combat

IPB Image

Stealth

IPB Image

Magic

IPB Image

Horror

IPB Image

Ceilings

IPB Image

Hey, it's the Empereur and his new oafs.

IPB Image

Well, why not?

IPB Image

It's not just the guards. Even the Blades are psychic.

IPB Image

He's looking awfully relaxed, isn't he? At least he pulled on the leash and even wants me to join his merry little group of escapees. Well, why not?

IPB Image

It's almost enough to make one hum the Imperial March. Except with swords instead of blasters.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 17 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Lurker
Group Icon

Act Three: Pushing Through

Finally at the last part of the tutorial. Even once per session is almost too much.

IPB Image

Sometimes brute force isn't enough. Maybe the next Emperor will see to it that the Blades have a few more mages in their ranks. Just for times like these.

IPB Image

An awfully credulous bunch, aren't they?

IPB Image

And he's smiling. Again. Might be that he's wishing for an end to his dreams about convicts.

Anyway, this is where the game decided to entertain me with its first crash for this session. It also reset the screenshot index, resulting in a few overwrites. Because of that, Emperor Uriel Septim VII and his two noble and mighty Blades will not get any more screentime in this chapter. Short story even shorter, big U died and we ran the heck out of there to escape the horrible paralysis you suffer when you're close to a plot-essential character and a cutscene trigger. Enduring something like that is the equivalent of surviving watching an entire episode of Doctor Phil. But we did, so pat yourselves on the back and we're moving on.

IPB Image

And behold! The light at the end of the tunnel! We shall march through and gorge upon the offerings of Cyrodiil!

But first...

IPB Image

Since I hadn't used magic once throughout the tutorial, yet this character is supposed to be a mage (see proof below), I felt an obligation to cast at least one spell before venturing out. This poor rat just happened to be nearby. I have to admit, the sorrow I felt for it quickly passed as I witnessed the beauty of the arch its body flew up in.

IPB Image

Aaaaaaaaaand we're out.

And now, the unveiling.

IPB Image

Puny but brainy.

IPB Image

As you can see, the bow is just for show.

IPB Image

Quite irrelevant but still relevant. Somehow. But yeah, I do love this UI mod. (it's Darnified UI before anyone asks)

So that's it for the tutorial. What next? One of the factions (the Mages'and Fighters' are somewhat changed, the rest should be the same)? Hack away at the oh-so linear mainquest? Just explore the world? Speak up.

Also, a little peek on Jauffre.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 17 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Oh, I definitely need to get that UI mod. It's a pain to be a compulsive hoarder with Oblivion's 'show only a handfull of stuff at once' menus.

Also, is it just me or does Uriel look different? Jauffre I'm willing to chalk up to higher graphics settings but Uriel...he looks different. Still not as awesome as Daggerfall's bald Uriel though.

And I had a good chuckle from Valen. I never even thought he would be trying the persuasion minigame. (And failing miserably.)

Edit: Wait..."I'm not interested, bye"? (In other words "Sorry, not interested in being a hero and saving the world this time.") Dammit, why did I never see that dialogue option?! That's bloody hilarious!

PS: Whenever I get to the locked gate, I noclip through it and open it from the other side. It's just too hilarious to see the Blades whine in front of an open door. laugh.gif I mean, why can't they just stick a hand through the damn bars and open it? It's a gate with humongous holes, for crying out loud!

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: May 18 2009, 04:34 AM

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 24 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #17

Lurker
Group Icon

Act Four: A little of the old, a little of the new

IPB Image

That's right. The first thing to witness outside the dungeons is a bloody fight between a Bandit and a Pilgrim of the Nine. Truly, it was a sight to behold. Back and forth they struggled, landing brutal blows upon each other in turns. But as quickly as the battle had begun it suddently stopped. The Pilgrim prevailed...

IPB Image

... only to get killed by a Slaughterfish when she decided to swim across the lake for no apparent reason at all.

IPB Image

Oh well. Finders, keepers.

IPB Image

It may not look like it's far away, but I swear one of these mods is making me move even slower than in Morrowind. Before we're heading to the ol' Jauf there's one place nearby to check out.

IPB Image

Right next to the competitors too. Magnificent choice of location.

IPB Image

Some are known to never get past this point. And no, it's not because of mod conflicts. This bell is simply mesmerizing. Mustering all my willpower, I enter.

IPB Image

And heeeeeeere's Midas. The local rebellious mage who decided to start his own little shop and (kind of) school of magic. Sure to get support of all the teenage mages.

IPB Image

This thing will eventually create a black hole and suck the entire Imperial City into it. And no one will care.

IPB Image

Together with the doomsday device above, this is what's used to break down clutter and jewelry down into raw material, which is then used as spell components for all the Midas spells.

IPB Image

There's a bunch of different fancy new spells but this is no doubt one of the most useful. Your personal little magic bag at your disposal 24/7. Plunderer Selman away!

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ May 17 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Edit: Wait..."I'm not interested, bye"? (In other words "Sorry, not interested in being a hero and saving the world this time.") Dammit, why did I never see that dialogue option?! That's bloody hilarious!

It's actually a mod. The vanilla game doesn't have a choice like that.

+Quote Post
Rane
post May 24 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #18

Lurker
Group Icon

Act Five: The Road to Perjury

IPB Image

Placed the urn, nugget and lockpick in the black bomb reactor. Received Magic Chest spell. Time to visit Jauffre's hideout in the hills.

IPB Image

Heading out the main gate, I notice this little spam bulletin. You don't see it, but further down there's an ad for a new flower extract that's supposed to boost virility.

IPB Image

Without taking advantage of the notice's offer, I head out on the rocky path towards Chorrol. Five minutes later, and I'm not even halfway there yet.

IPB Image

Killed by an archer approaching upwind or caught off guard by the lethal stench of a man who's waded through the sewers? We'll never know.

IPB Image

Glad to see that no mod has removed these fine fellows who truly care about the well-being of lost travelers like me. Or not.

IPB Image

This is what "or else" always means.

IPB Image

Can't remember seeing this guy around before. I'm guessing he's been placed by the Unique Landscape mods to guard the butt-end of nowhere.

IPB Image

Hark! Just up this hill waits the destination of this voyage!

IPB Image

No, not you!

IPB Image

And we've arrived at a crossroads.

What say ye now? Abandon our cause, piss the ol' bugger off or carry on like brave little pawns, forcing our path through the mainquest?
+Quote Post
Olen
post May 24 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

Have you got a mod which reoves hat abnoxious leveling which made it irrelivant what level you are? If so of and do the mages guild (well you are a mage) so the main quest is possible without relying mainly on weapons. Or not. Just keep it coming.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 24 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Lurker
Group Icon

Yeah, I've got Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul running so the level scaling is pretty much gone. No more Daedric/Glass appearing everywhere once you reach the higher levels. In fact, I believe Daedric can only be gotten from the highest ranked Dremora now. And I should really have no trouble at all sticking to plain magic once I pick up the spells I need.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:13 AM