2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> “Coziest” Games, AKA The Long Space Voyage Games Thread
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 16 2023, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit didn’t see a similar thread on the first page, so he thought he’d make one!

*Ahem*

You know the type. Those comfy cozy games that you know inside and out. The games that you can sit down with anytime and enjoy them, no matter how many times you’ve played them in the past. They might be 8-bit classics. Maybe they are games that came out only a few years ago that just sank its talons deep into your heart and never let go. Whatever they are, Khajiit wants you to tell us about them! See below…

It suddenly becomes possible to safely travel to a distant, but habitable planet, and you have won a free trip. Congratulations! The trip will take a while, but the ship’s entertainment system only has the capability to run a handful of different games. Which games would you most wish to see on the list and briefly explain why.

Yes, yes, Khajiit can see you rolling your eyes at the dumb scenario he has proposed, but, it’s just for fun, so try not to think to hard about it and just write about the first 5 or so that jump to your mind! Thank you! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Mar 17 2023, 12:37 AM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

Oblivion
This doesn't need a reason, Khajiit should know. wink.gif

Dragon's Dogma
Because dragons need to be kept in check. And because this world has the best companions ever.

Fable 2
Magical stuff. Have a husband in every town. In every street, if you like. Be open to experimentation in Bloodstone. Fight in the Crucible. Hunt the gargoyles. Oh, and save the world, too.

Naughty Bear
Defluff them all!

Two Worlds II
I don't really have a reason. smile.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 17 2023, 12:58 AM
Post #3

Evoker

You know the type. Those comfy cozy games that you know inside and out. The games that you can sit down with anytime and enjoy them, no matter how many times you’ve played them in the past. They might be 8-bit classics. Maybe they are games that came out only a few years ago that just sank its talons deep into your heart and never let go. Whatever they are, Khajiit wants you to tell us about them!

Oh yes.... I know exactly what you mean!

For me, it would probably be:

* Morrowind
* Baldur's Gate 2
* Planescape: Torment (I'm not precisely certain "cosy" is quite the word for this game, but it works biggrin.gif)
* Dragon Age Origin
* Dragon Age Inquisition

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 17 2023, 02:22 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Let's my list is:
Hogwarts Legacy.
Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Star Wars Squadrons.
Outer Wilds.
Elden Ri---Oh who am I kidding this game stresses me out -_- .
Azur Lane.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Mar 17 2023, 02:22 AM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 17 2023, 11:35 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Mar 16 2023, 06:37 PM) *

Oblivion
This doesn't need a reason, Khajiit should know. wink.gif

Lol, Khajiit expected many people to put BGS games on this list. Going to have to look up Naughty Bear. Never heard of that, but it sounds like a hoot and a half!

QUOTE(ArtemisNoir @ Mar 16 2023, 06:58 PM) *

You know the type. Those comfy cozy games that you know inside and out. The games that you can sit down with anytime and enjoy them, no matter how many times you’ve played them in the past. They might be 8-bit classics. Maybe they are games that came out only a few years ago that just sank its talons deep into your heart and never let go. Whatever they are, Khajiit wants you to tell us about them!

Oh yes.... I know exactly what you mean!

For me, it would probably be:

* Morrowind
* Baldur's Gate 2
* Planescape: Torment (I'm not precisely certain "cosy" is quite the word for this game, but it works biggrin.gif)
* Dragon Age Origin
* Dragon Age Inquisition

Solid RPG line up there!

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Mar 16 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Let's my list is:
Hogwarts Legacy.
Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Star Wars Squadrons.
Outer Wilds.
Elden Ri---Oh who am I kidding this game stresses me out -_- .
Azur Lane.

Interesting mix of game styles there. Outer Wilds sounds really interesting. Khajiit had heard of it but didn’t know anything more about it than it is a space game. Just looked it up and it sounds like a cool concept!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Mar 17 2023, 11:50 AM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 17 2023, 10:35 AM) *

Going to have to look up Naughty Bear. Never heard of that, but it sounds like a hoot and a half!

Here it is on Steam, not available on GOG. I have it for the consoles (the PS3 version has a number of extra levels, but I don't know about Steam).

Naughty Bear is a third-person action game about a psychotic teddy bear that preys on the innocent inhabitants of an island because he was not invited to a birthday party.

Innocent..? blink.gif

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Mar 17 2023, 11:53 AM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 17 2023, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Mar 17 2023, 05:50 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 17 2023, 10:35 AM) *

Going to have to look up Naughty Bear. Never heard of that, but it sounds like a hoot and a half!

Here it is on Steam, not available on GOG. I have it for the consoles (the PS3 version has a number of extra levels, but I don't know about Steam).

Naughty Bear is a third-person action game about a psychotic teddy bear that preys on the innocent inhabitants of an island because he was not invited to a birthday party.

Innocent..? blink.gif

IPB Image

Psychotic indeed! Sounds like fun! laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 17 2023, 01:09 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

If I get the CK/CS or whatever, then I only need one game, and it can evolve as I go. Whether that is Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim doesn’t really matter.

Cozy, to me, implies a lack of frantic real-time input being required. So that rules out RTS games, platformers to a lesser extent, anything where being late makes you fail. You need to be able to put the game down and ponder, preferably not by just hitting “pause”, but by the passage of time in-game not being a factor. Moving to a safe spot, before you do so, is good enough, so the BGS games meet that criterion. They also support puzzles, where you are expected to stop and think before proceeding.

But the problem with most puzzles is that you know all the answers after a few plays, so better games generate new puzzles. I have the code somewhere for a maze generator, where you input the grid size, some connectivity rules, and it generates a fresh, random new maze puzzle. Rules include things like whether paths can loop, which would trap a player following one wall. The mazes were three-dimensional, in the sense that one rule allowed bridges that connected cells that were otherwise planar, rather than Daggerfall’s 3d building blocks.

That’s two. I will spend the rest of the trip inventing the other three.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Mar 17 2023, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 17 2023, 12:09 PM) *

If I get the CK/CS or whatever, then I only need one game, and it can evolve as I go. [...]

Hear Hear! The danger is however that you won't want to get off at your destination. Or even notice you've arrived... wacko.gif

Also: when you get that maze generator figured out, do let me know. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Mar 17 2023, 01:23 PM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 17 2023, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 17 2023, 07:09 AM) *

If I get the CK/CS or whatever, then I only need one game, and it can evolve as I go. Whether that is Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim doesn’t really matter.

Cozy, to me, implies a lack of frantic real-time input being required. So that rules out RTS games, platformers to a lesser extent, anything where being late makes you fail. You need to be able to put the game down and ponder, preferably not by just hitting “pause”, but by the passage of time in-game not being a factor. Moving to a safe spot, before you do so, is good enough, so the BGS games meet that criterion. They also support puzzles, where you are expected to stop and think before proceeding.

But the problem with most puzzles is that you know all the answers after a few plays, so better games generate new puzzles. I have the code somewhere for a maze generator, where you input the grid size, some connectivity rules, and it generates a fresh, random new maze puzzle. Rules include things like whether paths can loop, which would trap a player following one wall. The mazes were three-dimensional, in the sense that one rule allowed bridges that connected cells that were otherwise planar, rather than Daggerfall’s 3d building blocks.

Khajiit had no intention of limiting this to games that aren’t hectic or stressful. If there are games you play that you love and just wouldn’t want to be without, feel free to write about it! By “cozy”, we really just meant that they are games that you are super familiar with, and come back to again and again. Some people refer to them as “Evergreen Games”.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 17 2023, 05:41 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, these are great answers up above. I can see ghastley getting cozy with puzzles, for instance. They'd drive me up the wall, though.

Well, my instinctual answer is all the Bethesda open-world games, because a lot of times I play in bed, or while sitting in a large, comfy chair. And there's also modding, which can be relaxing & satisfying, as long as I know what I'm doing. But if I'm being honest, modding can be stressful when things go wrong, and the Beth games--yeah I'm cozy while playing, but my characters often are NOT. They live in brutal worlds.

And to be honest again, dang, sometimes I'm not really cozy while playing Fallout 3 or any of the Bethesda games. Sometimes I'm swearing out loud! Or full of adrenaline as a draugr (which I DIDN'T know was there) creeps from right beside my character.

So my answer, without a doubt, is Sims 3.

Driving

Lounging

*#!*ing

In the settings menu there's a fricking Free Will slider. Crank that sucker all the way to the right, and my Sims pretty much live their own lives, with very little input from me. No battles. No fighting. No creepy monsters. No vampires (well... there are... but they're cute and rarely show up). Look at how pleasant those technicolor graphics are. 📺

It's possible for a Sim to die, but you'd really have to screw up before that happens, or intentionally kill them somehow. No Free Will, lock them in a house with no food, for instance.

I like to pretend that my Sims are in a reality show, and I am their producer sometimes. "Okay Connie, she's gone! Raid the refrigerator NOW!" laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 17 2023, 05:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 17 2023, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

*wonders what mirocu's answer will be*

Certainly not DOOM!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 17 2023, 06:33 PM
Post #13

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 17 2023, 06:12 PM) *

I was actually gonna sit this one out as my answers are too obvious and you all know what I'd say anyway tongue.gif

I guess I can mention Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Gameboy as a curveball of sorts. That and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

And no; not Doom tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 17 2023, 07:38 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 17 2023, 12:33 PM) *

I was actually gonna sit this one out as my answers are too obvious and you all know what I'd say anyway tongue.gif

I guess I can mention Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Gameboy as a curveball of sorts. That and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

And no; not Doom tongue.gif

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Star Wars: Rebellion
Chess Titans

How’d I do? laugh.gif

Those are two really good games for GameBoy. That Zelda one in particular was the hero of many a long car trip and boring dance recital/competition, lol

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 17 2023, 07:54 PM
Post #15

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 17 2023, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 17 2023, 12:33 PM) *

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Star Wars: Rebellion
Chess Titans

How’d I do? laugh.gif

Bloody nailed it rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 18 2023, 02:09 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 17 2023, 05:35 AM) *

Interesting mix of game styles there. Outer Wilds sounds really interesting. Khajiit had heard of it but didn’t know anything more about it than it is a space game. Just looked it up and it sounds like a cool concept!

Outer Wilds is a great space exploration game!
No combat.
Free to go to any of the planets to explore.
Time loop.
Awesome soundtrack!
Mystery to solve involving said time loop and extinct alien species.
It's worth a playthrough.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Mar 27 2023, 07:03 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

For me that would be:

Morrowind

Jade Empire

Tetris

OG Super Mario Bros

FF7 (Original)

Fable 2

Terraria

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 27 2023, 10:46 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Mar 27 2023, 01:03 AM) *

Jade Empire

I really enjoyed the concept of that game. It was/is so different from anything that came before or since.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 28 2023, 11:24 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Decided to download Raid Shadow Legends for the PC. It's like a lab experiment to see what characters form the best party. It's a so-so time killer.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
macole
post Mar 29 2023, 03:16 AM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

for a long boring journey I would like to do what I’ve been doing for the past 11-years. That is to take one character and work him through

Arena,
Daggerfall (Unity version),
Morrowind plus expansions and Tamriel Rebuilt (modded similar to abots mod list),
Oblivion, my current mod list adjusted to Lena Wolf’s TWMP modlist,
and Skyrim (I don’t know what but it really needs something to make it appealing for a long run).

TES VI will be added to the list should it arrive in time.

That should last a long, long time. I’d take along Rome Total War just in case.

This post has been edited by macole: Mar 29 2023, 03:17 AM

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:25 AM