9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ekali of the Frozen Heights, Book one
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 25 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #81

Master
Group Icon

Excellent stuff, Saquira! The tomb was brilliantly realised, the fight with the spider and the Draugr were both exciting reads and it appears that Ekali is indeed the Dovahkiin (no surprises there tongue.gif ).

Nothing really to criticise, so in all, a great read and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Ekali. Good show, old chum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 29 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #82

Master
Group Icon

Spiders. Hate them. Better to burn them from a distance.

A little Khajiit with a great sword, I love it!

Aravi didn’t find much of a reason to pursue the dunmer either. She didn’t know what he was talking about.

The description of the wall is perfect. Fantastic job!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 2 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #83

Finder
Group Icon

Thank you guys! And I'm truly sorry that I haven't updated in a while, but I just can't write when I've got a lot to think about. Competition season has only just begun a few weeks ago as well, and this is the time of year that our teachers likes to give us a lot to do. So I don't think I'll be able to update with anything resembling regularity until the end of term, the 15:th of June, or maybe a week before. The last week is usually pretty slow. I have however begun working on the next couple of chapters already, so who knows? I just might finish that soon. It

And I will get back to the last fight in the barrow within the next few chapters, I just really didn't want to write that fight yet.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali continued through Bleak Falls barrow with Gladio, only to find a murderous spider, a lying bandit (who carried the claw she was looking for) and a very weird wall. Next, Whiterun!

Chapter 3.3 Welcome to Whiterun

The clouds lay thick in the skies above Whiterun hold, and the city lay dormant on the elevated plateau. Farmers, either heading to the market or to harvest their crops, hurried to and fro both within and without the city. Some early risers among the companions sparred in their yard, and in the inn a female redguard swept the floors. A hammer struck metal at the forge by the gate, and lamps were being lit by the shopkeepers.

Only nobility, and the tenants of the inn, stayed in bed longer than 'till seven am. From the windows of the inn, lightning could be seen to the west, cutting down through the clouds and reaching the plains like a knife cutting through butter.

The two shapes coming from the south, from Riverwood, moved at a steady pace along the road. Though the female and the wolf did not hurry, neither were they walking slowly, and they made good progress as Magnus ascended in the sky.

The clock was only minutes away from striking the ninth hour when the female khajiit and her friend reached the city's gate.

One of the guards on duty stopped her by stepping in the way and uttering a snide comment, to which she responded with narrowed eyes that she brought news from Riverwood. The guards expression could not be seen through the helmet, but he stepped aside to let her into the city and she nodded at him with mock gratitude.

Ekali and Gladio arrived at Dragonsreach at noon, just in time to hear the Jarls' discussion with another of his court about the current war. As they approached the throne, the dunmer female nearby saw them and drew her sword before approaching. She wore leather armour and the sword was made of steel.

“What is the meaning of this interruption? Jarl Balgruuf is not receiving visitors,” the dunmer said with narrowed eyes.

“I'm here because Riverwood calls for the Jarls' aid. What with the dragon up at at Helgen...” Ekali began to say, a frown upon her face.

“Dragon? Well, that explains why the guards let you inside the city. Come on then, the Jarl will want to speak to you personally,” the Dunmer female said, interrupting the khajiit. She turned, sheathing her sword, and Ekali followed the woman to the Jarls' seat.

The Jarl looked up when the khajiit and wolf walked up after the dark elf.

“My Jarl, this woman claims to bear word from Riverwood,” the dunmer said, gesturing to Ekali, who half-bowed to the Nord before her. He looked at her curiously, gesturing for the other man to be quiet when he made a move to interrupt.

“Very well khajiit, I’ll hear your words. What is your name, and what news do you bring?” All eyes were on the khajiit now, she who had captured the Jarl's attention. No one paid much attention to the wolf by her side.

“A dragon attacked Helgen three days ago, and was last sighted heading north towards Riverwood and Whiterun. Now the people living in Riverwood fear for their lives, and they want you to help them,” Ekali answered to the blonde nord whose clothing signified his rank.

“What do you say Proventus? Shall we continue to trust in the strength of our walls? Against a dragon?” the Jarl turned to his steward as he said so.

“My lord, we should send troops to Riverwood at once. It's in the most immediate danger, if that dragon is lurking in the mountains,” the dunmer said, stepping up next to the khajiit.

“The Jarl of Falkreath will view that as a provocation! He'll assume we're preparing to join Ulfric's side and attack him! We should not...” this time it was the steward who spoke up.

“Enough!” The Jarl spoke up, looking back at the steward by his side. “I'll not stand idly by while a dragon burns my hold and slaughter my people! Irileth, send a detachment to Riverwood at once.”

“Yes, my Jarl,” the woman answered and put her closed hand against her chest as a salute. Then she turned on her heel and headed for the door.

“If you'll excuse me, I'll return to my duties.” The steward looked at his Jarl.

“That would be best,” Jarl Balgruuf answered, and the Imperial walked of with his head held high. Then he once again turned his attention to Ekali and her companion. “Well done. You sought me out when you could have turned around and run the other way. You've done Whiterun a service, and I won't forget it,” he said.

“There is another thing you could do for me,” he then continued, a bit hesitantly. “Suitable for someone of your particular talents, perhaps. Come, let's go find Farengar, my court wizard. He's been looking into a matter related to these dragons and... rumours of dragons.” The Jarl arose from his chair, and she followed him when he headed towards one of the smaller rooms that where connected to the main hall.

Inside the room there was a long desk, a map stretched onto a portable wall, an enchanters table and an alchemist table. Two doors could be seen on the other side of the room. The Jarl's attention was drawn to the man whom was currently bending over the darkened alchemists table, but who finished up as soon as he could and turned to greet them. He was a breton, something that could only have been guessed at previously thanks to his blue robes.

“Farengar, I think I've found someone who can help you with your dragon project. Go ahead and fill her in with the details,” the Jarl said to the man who thanked him before looking the khajiit over. Her fur armour was quite ragged by then, shoes barely holding together by the seams. The travellers pack was obviously improvised and hung with a single strap over her left shoulder next to the great-sword.

“So the Jarl thinks you can be of use to me? Oh yes, he must be referring to my research into the dragons. Well, I could use someone to fetch something for me,” he said and turned to something on his desk. The Jarl left while he was talking. “Well, when I say fetch I really mean delve into a dangerous ruin in search of an ancient stone tablet that may or may not actually be there,”

“What am I fetching, and where can I find it?” Ekali asked with a sigh.

“Straight to the point, eh? No need for tedious hows and whys. I like that. Leave those details to your betters, am I right?” the wizard said, a smirk adorning his otherwise bored face. Ekali's fur bristled, and she narrowed her eyes slightly, but she didn't answer him. Instead she took her pack out when he continued to speak, and looked around in it. “I, ah, learned of a certain stone tablet said to be housed in Bleak Falls Barrow - a “Dragonstone”, said to contain a map of dragon burial sites. Go to...” He went quiet when he saw her take a stone tablet out of her pack and hold it out for him.

“Is this it?” Ekali then asked with a smirk of her own at the bretons' dumbfounded expression, which although he recovered after a while lasted for a few minutes.

“Yes, it is,” he said once he'd recovered his composure, and accepted the stone, laying it down on the desk. “Thank you, I suppose.”

“What happens now?” Ekali asked, hoisting the pack onto her shoulder again.

“I do my work, and you... Well, I suppose you'd like to see the Jarl for your reward, hmm? In any case, I need privacy for this.” The khajiit nodded, and left the room without further coercion. She walked towards the Jarl on his throne, intending to stop a few feet away and wait for him to acknowledge her. That was not necessary, as the Jarl beckoned for her to step forward as soon as he saw her coming out of the wizard's chambers.

“Are you done with your work already? Well, I suppose I shouldn't complain. You there, fetch the box upstairs!” the Jarl said the last to one of his guards who hurried up the stairs behind them before he turned his attention back to the woman. “I do not have anything else for you to do, though I might call on you if anything comes up. You have after all survived a dragon attack, and that in itself merits some amount of respect. I also have an item for you as payment for the services rendered so far, and I've already sent a runner to the inn keeper to make sure that she gives you a room if she has one.” The Jarls words were accompanied by a smile, and moments later the guard came back down with a wooden case.

“The Jarl of Markarth sent me this a few years ago, an expedition that went well I believe. However, I have little use for it, and a bow such as this holds no place in court. I noticed that you carry one made by the Imperials, but I know for a fact that the bows they carry do not come close to the quality of a Forsworn bow.” As he spoke, the soldier opened the case for Ekali, and she gently took the slender weapon, eyes wide at the sight of it.

“Thank you, sir,” she said and half bowed to him. He nodded back to her, and turned to the steward in what was clearly a dismissal. So Ekali backed up a few steps before turning around and heading out of the palace, feet hitting the ground in a steady rhythm as she made her way to the marketplace. Gladio walked only a step behind, ears peaked at all times.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 3 2012, 06:09 AM
Post #84

Councilor
Group Icon

That was cool... biggrin.gif ...

Nicely done that...

I love the bit where she narrows her eyes at Farengar...Both times I've done the MQ I've had that response from him, and I've probably said several curses towards him on each occaision...Git... biggrin.gif ...

Excellently rendered bit of the MQ...And the thing with the Khajiit at the gates was well done...

Love this story...

Look forward to an update whenever it may be... smile.gif ...

Nice one...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post May 3 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #85

Knower
Group Icon

I do like how you give the characters a bit more personality than they had in the game smile.gif

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 11 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #86

Finder
Group Icon

Thank you guys. Yeah, Farengar always seemed so condescending.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali and Gladio arrived in Whiterun and visited the Jarl up at Dragonsreach. When he'd received her message, and she'd presented Farengar the wizard with the Dragonstone, he gave her a Forsworn bow. Next, Ekali arrives at the inn and gets a surprise!

Chapter 3.4 Surprise, surprise!

It was rather late in the afternoon when Ekali arrived at the tavern together with Gladio after visiting the different shops in the city. Closing the door behind her, she walked up to the bar where the owner was just in the process of wiping of the counter.

“Good day, I’m Hulda. What can I get you?” the woman asked with a smile before looking up. When she did, curiosity seeped into her eyes, and Ekali’s ears twitched slightly.

“Hello. I’m Ekali, and I’d like to rent a room for the night. I’d also like to buy a bowl of whatever you’ve got on the stove, and a cup of mead.” Ekali smiled back when Gladio looked around curiously at the patrons of the tavern. Two nords, one a male in iron armour and one woman in plate steel sat on benches drinking. A bard of the same race stood next to the fire pit whilst playing the Age of Aggression, and a female redguard could be glimpsed stirring the pot in the adjoining room.

“Well, you're in luck. As it is I've got one room left. It's at the top of the stairs, first door on the right. Access to the balcony up there, if you'd like to eat alone.” Hulda nodded first to the stairs and then to the balcony above them.

“That would be great thank you,” Ekali answered with a smile.

“Al right then. I'll send Saadia up with your food if you want to settle in. That'll be twenty drakes,” the innkeeper said and smiled. Returning the smile again, the khajiit took the room key from the other woman, handing over twenty drakes from her pouch. Then she and Gladio walked up the steps to the second floor, and into the room she'd just rented.

Ekali dropped her bag in a corner before letting herself fall onto the bed. A few moments later, she could feel it move slightly as Gladio jumped up and lay down next to her.

:-:-:-:

At first, there was no way for Ekali to pinpoint what had woken her, and she lay still. Keeping her breathing steady, the khajiit listened tentatively for any sounds. That’s when she felt the slight breeze from the window she’d latched last night, and heard the shallow breathing of another person in the room. Where’s Gladio?

Grabbing the hilt of the dagger she’d gotten accustomed to keeping beneath her pillow, Ekali threw herself out of the bed towards the intruder. Having used her night eye spell so she could see the other person, she could still see nothing but a dark silhouette when she aimed the dagger for the intruders’ throat. Moments later when she reached the feminine forms’ location, she met only air. Then the dagger was wrung out of her hand, her arm put in a deadlock against her back and the only weapon available to her was put against her back. With quick breath and racing heart she froze.

“I wondered when you’d wake up, waiting can be so incredibly dull sometimes,” a bored feline voice said before the hands released her, and Ekali stumbled forward, even more surprised than before. “Surprised to hear from me after all these years? Thought I’d abandoned you, huh?” This time the voice chuckled, and Ekali turned around to look upon her mother.

“I abandoned you,” the younger khajiit said, frowning whilst the black female took her hood of. Glee and malevolence shone from the eldest eyes.

“You really think I’d have allowed that? Really? You really think you could fool me, don’t you?” Brown braid shifting slightly on the back of her head, the mother laughed quietly. “The only ones fooled where those stupid bandits. They came to me afterwards, telling me how very sorry they were to notice you’d gone.” Ekali just looked at her, still frowning.

“Oh but we can talk about that some other time, now we need to get the current business over with so you can go to sleep. You’ve got a long day ahead of you.” Dar'Ilthi sat down on the foot of the bed, going through her backpack.

“What are you talking about?” Ekali asked with a sigh and walked up to the window to shut out the cold wind. All the while she could feel her mothers eyes on her back.

“You'll see. One way or another, a lot will change in the days to come, and I won't be there for you. There it is,” the black khajiit finished, and Ekali turned around to see her removing a rather large bundle from the pack.

“And what if I don't want you to be there for me?”

“It doesn't matter. Come here now, I want to be sure this fits.” With a frustrated noise, Ekali complied and approached her mother whom unwrapped the bundle. “I'm a bit uncertain as to how this is fastened, but it should be enough to protect you,” Dar'Ilthi said and held up the cuirass of an unfamiliar silver armour. Blue signs littered it, and in some places a piece of blue glass held the symbol if a dragon.

“Where did you get this?” Ekali asked as she reached down to grasp the helmet, finding it's surface to be completely smooth.

“Family heirloom,” Dar'Ilthi answered simply as she took the helmet from her daughters hands and helped her with the armour. Though it took a while, she'd soon managed to dress Ekali in all of the pieces, and the black khajiit drew the younger woman to a mirror that hung in the room.

Screenshot of the armour

“It fits you perfectly,” the older said with a frown, and Ekali turned around to look upon her.

“What?” she asked of her mother as they stood there, looking into each other's eyes.

“Nothing,” Dar'Ilthi answered with a shrug, but that it was a lie was evident to her daughter. So the black female stepped back and picked up her possessions, and without another word she walked past Ekali and climbed out the window. Ekali watched her as she descended the wall of the inn and then fell the remaining distance to the road before she walked back to the bed, removed the armour, and went to sleep.

This post has been edited by Saquira: May 12 2012, 10:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 11 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #87

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, that was creepy... biggrin.gif ...

Excellently done there...Loved the way her mother avoided the knife and wound up behind Ekali...

Brilliant stuff...

The armour's intriguing...Looking forward to hearing about all that...Unless I've missed something I'll wake up in the middle of the night realising of course... laugh.gif ...(that previous sentence makes my head hurt...Sorry... wacko.gif ...)

Many brilliant things herein...Love it muchly...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 14 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #88

Master
Group Icon

Ekali had her moment of triumph with Farengar. smile.gif I never used a Forsworn bow before, most of the time, my characters don’t get over to that area until they have some quality weapons anyways. I do know that their arrows are crap though.

~~~

Gladio just jumped into the bed! laugh.gif

The ‘mother’ makes an appearance. Nice armor! Family heirloom? Whose family? Someone the brotherhood killed no doubt. laugh.gif She needs a bow to better go with the armor now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 20 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #89

Finder
Group Icon

I think all of your questions will be answered... eventually.

And this post contains A LOT of pictures. I didn't know where exactly to put them all to be honest tongue.gif But I think it turned out pretty good.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali rented a room at the Bannered Mare, and then she was awoken in the middle of the night by her mother whom she hasn't seen for at least 18 years. Her mother gave her a set of armour, and we'll soon see exactly why she did.
In this chapter the going doesn't get tough, no, the going gets hot!

Chapter 3.5 Dragon!

Ekali was in the process of eating a late breakfast when one of the guards burst through the door to the tavern. You could hear the heavy breathing beneath his helmet as his head swung 'round and his eyes landed on her.

"Khajiit, you must come at once. A dragon has been sighted at the western watchtower and the Jarl calls for your help! Irileth is speaking to the guards, you must come!" The man called to her. She almost choked on her food when he uttered the word dragon, but she got to her feet while gesturing for Gladio to follow. The khajiit had already packed her things and equipped her armour in preparation for leaving, so she just had to put on her helmet, strap the great sword over her back, the quiver on her waist next to the short-sword and take hold of the bow.

"Will you take care of my things for me?" she asked of the innkeeper who nodded dumbly and caught her travellers pack when she preceded to throw it. Then Ekali ran after the guard who'd already walked out.

"Down to the farms and then to the right, you can't miss it!" he called after her as she ran past with a hurried thank you. The wolf lengthened his stride until he was next to her, and then he fell into her pace.

Screenshot

Everyone watched the two of them as they rushed down the street. Some merely held surprise in their eyes, while some showed contempt. Nevertheless, all of them kept out of her way, and soon Ekali and her canine friend closed on the city gates.

Two guards were just pushing the gate closed when she came running, so they stopped in their endeavour and instead pushed it open just enough for her to get out. The khajiit nodded to them as she ran through, and then she was on the path leading from the city down to the farms.

Irileth and the guards came within her sight when she reached the stables, and she'd caught up with them by the time they reached the last of the farms before the guard tower. (Pic) Though there was still some distance left for them to traverse, they could see the flames licking the sky from the tower, and part of the ramp leading to it lay in ruins. Aside from that the place looked quiet, yet Ekali knew that it couldn't be the case.

the tower

As they approached the watchtower, a man carefully walked out of the base of it. He had a ragged appearance. The cuirass was charred around the edges, and he'd discarded his helmet, showing a face that was covered in soot. His eyes looked frantic as they scanned the sky and then landed on the people whom were approaching.

“Get back! It'll return any minute now!” he shouted at them, and as if in answer a roar was heard from the mountains just to the south. Then a great shape dislodged from the shadow of the mountain, and they could all see its size as it closed in on them.

Dragon's approach 1. Dragon's approach 2. 3

“Thurri du hin sille ko Sovngarde! Yol Toor Shul!” Fire flew from the dragons maw at the soldiers, and they ducked down behind the ruins of the tower. Ekali drew an arrow from her quiver and nocked it as the dragon came around again, stopping too hover over them. (Pic) She let the arrow loose at the same time as several of the guards fired theirs, and when several of them pierced the skin of the dragon it roared.

Fus Ro!” the dragon roared and Ekali was thrown of her feet, landing on her back a few paces away. Grunting, she took hold of the bow that had flown from her hand, and pushed herself to her feet. By the time she got up, enough arrows had pierced the beasts wings that he had to land, and it was with a heavy heart that the khajiit watched as Gladio flew at the creature.

Gladio

"You are brave. Balaan hokoron. Your defeat brings me honour." Though the beast snapped his jaws at the wolf, he could not catch him, and soon turned his eyes on the khajiit who was just nocking another arrow. She pulled the string taught, but had no time to release it before the dragon once again opened his mouth to Shout.

Yol Toor Shul!” Fire covered her the next second, and it was all she could do to close her eyes and hold onto the bow. (Pic 1) (Pic 2) It took a few seconds before Ekali realised that the fire was barely hurting her, and she opened her eyes to see her armour glowing a faint orange, the tell-tale sign of the resist fire enchantment. Surprised, she stood there until the fire stopped and she could see the dragon again. Then, having lowered the bow when the fire washed over her, Ekali raised it and released the arrow into the still open jaws of the beast.

It roared in surprise when the arrow met it's target and he could see Ekali's seemingly unharmed form. Then a sword pierced it from the side, and the beast threw it's head up in anguish.

“Dovahkiin, no!” it roared before the last power seeped from it's bones and the head crashed into the ground a few feet from Ekali. Not paying much attention to the creatures words, the khajiit skipped out of the way and bent down to recover her breath.

Then something that she had not expected happened. When the dragon finally lay still, some of its scales started glowing a fiery orange, and it's skin burst into flames just as a flowing light began to swirl around it.

Screenshot

“Stay back!” She could hear one of the soldiers shout, and stumbled backwards to get away from the odd phenomenon. The light flowed towards her, surrounding her until she couldn't see anything of the things around her. (Screenshot) And then the voices began again. The same ones as at the wall, but another as well. Mirmulnir. Suddenly, she knew the name of the dragon they'd slain. But the voices veered from the name until all of them uttered a single word just as the light eased up. Fus. The word seemed to grow within her as the light went out completely, and then her mouth opened of its own accord.

Fus!” The dragons skeleton shifted away from her slightly when the shock wave escaped her lips, and Ekali clamped her hands over her mouth as she stumbled to her knees, but was forced to put them in front of her for stability.

Gladio was that first to move. He walked up to her after a few minutes, put his head on her shoulder, and then licked her face as if to say that it would be okay. The female moved one of her hands to the fur on his head, and after a while she was able too look him in the eyes. Then she saw one of the Whiterun guards approaching her.

“I... I can't believe it... You... you are dragonborn...” The man managed to get out of his mouth with much stuttering. The other guards moved to stand closer as he spoke, and it took a while for Ekali to find her tongue again.

“Dragonborn? What do you mean, what's that?” she said, finally able to get on her feet with the aid of the wolf who also turned his head to look upon the Nord.

“In the very oldest tales, back from when there still were dragons in Skyrim, the Dragonborn would slay them and steal their power. Isn't that what you did? You absorbed it's power?” he managed to say, though his eyes were still wide with shock. Ekali looked around briefly at the other guards before turning her gaze to him again.

“I... I don't know,” she managed to answer him.

“You must be. You just Shouted, only the dragonborn can do that without training,” the guard said to answer her.

“Dragonborn? What are you talking about?” another guard said and Ekali turned her head to him. He looked confounded, and just as shocked as the rest of them.

“But I don't need a dragonborn. Someone who can put down a dragon is more than enough for me,” Irileth said, causing the khajiit to look at her instead. The dark elf had crossed her arms across her leather clad chest and was looking at the guardsman who'd called Ekali dragonborn.

“You wouldn't understand, housecarl. You ain't a Nord,” the guard said to answer her, at which the dunmer female's eyes narrowed.

“I've been all across Tamriel. I've seen plenty of things just as outlandish as this,” she snapped at him. “I'd advise you all to trust in the strength of your sword arm over tales and legends.” Just as she finished speaking, the earth shook as a word reached their ears.

Dovahkiin!” Several voices at once, uttering the one word, causing the world to shake like an earthquake had come upon them.

When the ground on which they stood was once again still, Ekali looked up to see that all eyes were on her. Some looked awed while others did not seem to know what to do with the information they'd gained. There were some mutterings, and then Irileth spoke up.

“Whatever this all means, you should go report to the Jarl. We'll stay here and try too clear the area,” she said to Ekali, who nodded and forced her feet to move against the city of Whiterun. All noices could not be kept from her ears though, and so the last thing she heard before arriving in the city was;

“The Greybeards. They're calling the Dragonborn to High Hrothgar!”

This post has been edited by Saquira: May 20 2012, 06:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 20 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #90

Councilor
Group Icon

Oooh excellent!!...

Loved the pics...Nicely done that...

The dragon fight was brilliant...Espescially liked the way you worked the choral bit into the soul absorption...That was well done...*Applauds*...

Loving the way you're doing this, looking forward to seeing what you do with the Greybeards!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 20 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #91

Finder
Group Icon

Thank you McBadgere ^^

Don't know whether the Greybeards will appear in chapter 4.X or 5.X. It all depends on whether Ekali takes a detour too... No, I'm not saying anything more...

There isn't more than two parts left of the third chapter though. I can say that smile.gif Though I don't know when I'll be finished with them, as I don't know how long they'll be or exactly what will happen in them... And I'd like to finish both before I post either of them, since I'm afraid 3.7 might be too short otherwise. But maybe that doesn't matter... Umm, anyways,

Does anyone know a word that can be used as an endearment in Ta'agra? I've been working some on rewriting A Strange Love, and need a new title as I really don't like the current one. Ta'agra is the language of the khajiit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 24 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #92

Master
Group Icon

She almost choked on her food when he uttered the word dragon, but she got to her feet while gesturing for Gladio to follow.
My Khajiit would do the same thing. biggrin.gif I like the way she was summoned. The Jarl sent someone to go get her.

Nice armor, but her poor ears look like they are squished inside that helmet! ohmy.gif Aravi never wore helms for that reason.

The Dragonborn! I love this part of the game. Her reaction to her first Thu’um was perfect. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saquira
post May 27 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #93

Finder
Group Icon

Thank you biggrin.gif I don't think Ekali will be using the helmet unless she is fighting dragons or other very challenging opponents.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Being summoned during a late breakfast, Ekali hurried to the Western watchtower to help Irileth and the Whiterun guard fight a dragon. When they'd defeated it, she found out that the dragon's name was Mirmulnir, and that apparently, she's dragonborn. How will others react to that?

Chapter 3.6 How could a khajiit be dragonborn?

Ekali was steps away from entering Dragonsreach when the doors were pushed open by the guards inside and the Jarl's brother, Hrongar, walked out.

“There you are! Come, my brother wishes to know what happened. By the divines, I imagine all of us wants to know,” the man said and put a hand on her shoulder to lead her inside. The guards looked at her with wonder as the two walked past. Then they were walking up the steps and past the tables to stop before the Jarl in his seat. His eyes had caught her lithe form mere moments after they entered, and now they were lit by anticipation of what she would reveal.

“What happened at the watchtower? My sentries have only told me that the beast is slain,” the Jarl said. The steward stood by his right side, and Ekali had seen Farengar at the door opening to his chambers, looking at her, when they entered. The guards weren't even trying to hide the fact that they were listening. The time in which Ekali took to notice all of this amounted to only a few seconds, so there wasn't a very long time before she spoke.

“The watchtower was in ruins when we got there. Only one of the original guards still lived, and he barely had time too warn us before the dragon showed up again. There wasn't ever much time to see what the others were doing, but we managed to defeat the beast, and then... Then I absorbed some kind of power from it. One of the guardsmen called me dragonborn.” Her brow was furrowed by the time she finished, and Hrongar's head bowed up and down absent-mindedly as if though something he'd been thinking had just been confirmed. The steward was as expressionless as ever, while the Jarl had leant back in his chair.

“Then it's true. The Greybeards were calling for the dragonborn. For you,” he said and looked at her. All eyes were on her then, as people all around the room wondered what the Jarl was thinking. Only Hrongar still looked at his brother.

“But how? How could a khajiit be dragonborn?” he said, aghast. Several others in the hall seemed to be thinking the same thing, as many of the guards turned their eyes to their feet so as to not risk looking Ekali in the eyes.

“I doubt anyone can understand the will of the divines, be they man, mer or beast. We should be happy that there is a dragonborn at all,” Jarl Balgruuf said, looking pointedly at his brother. Hrongar opened his mouth as if to speak, but then closed it again and turned his eyes to the floor. Jarl Balgruuf waited a few seconds before he sighed and turned his eyes to the dragonborn.

“Discussions about the will of the divines will have to wait for later. Dragonborn, as a token of my gratitude for saving this city, I name you Thane of Whiterun and give you permission to purchase a house within the city. Speak with Proventus to make the arrangements. As to the title of Thane, it is mostly an honorary title, except that you get your personal housecarl, and a weapon to serve as your badge of office.” A soldier brought forth an axe when he said this, and Ekali stood stunned for a moment before she took it from the soldiers hands and remembered that she should respond.

“Thank you, my Jarl,” she said and bowed. The Jarl nodded to her when she looked up again.

“You should visit the Greybeards as soon as possible, it is a temendous honour to receive their summons. An honour that should not be taken lightly. But for tonight I insist that you stay at our guest quarters,” he preceded to say, and was just turning to his steward when the khajiit spoke again.

“Excuse me, Jarl Balgruuf. But I do not know who these Greybeards are, nor where to find them,” she said, where upon the few eyes that weren't already watching her started doing so.

“Of course. My brother will tell you everything you need to know. Now, Proventus, we must plan the festivities.” As the Jarl turned to his steward, Hrongar tensed visibly, but told Ekali to follow. When the two walked towards the doors, most people turned their attention to the Jarl. Most, but not all. The khajiit could see children and servants looking at her from the balcony above. From the expressions on their faces they'd watched all of it.

Hrongar and Ekali emerged into bright sunlight, and she had to put up a hand to shield her eyes. He continued on without stopping, ignoring the looks of the guards who stood watch on the way too and from Dragonsreach. Turning left at the top of the stairs, he then stopped at a spot that gave a nice view of the city and the plains outside it.

“What festivities was the Jarl speaking of?” Ekali asked when she caught up and stood next to the Nord. He glanced at her and raised his eyebrows.

“To celebrate the death of the dragon, to celebrate that you've come,” Hrongar answered her and turned his gaze back at the city. That the khajiit was dragonborn was still hard for him to grasp. Yet he'd say nothing of the matter, since his brother clearly disliked it. She was silent for a while, and he started to wonder whether he should speak again.

“Who are these Greybeards that people are talking about then?” she asked before he had the chance of doing so, and he contemplated how to phrase his explanation.

“The Greybeards are the masters of the Voice, or the Thu'um. Shouting, it's also called. They've lived atop the Throat of the World in High Hrothgar for as long as anyone can remember.” He pointed towards the high peak which they were facing, almost directly above the city, as he told her of the Throat of the World. “They rarely interfere with the rest of the world, and instead study the Voice, and hone it. They don't care much for war and politics, thinks the Voice is a power that should not be used to cause death, and maybe they're right. But to battle the dragons we need to use their own weapons against them. Talos Stormcrown studied with the Greybeards, as did Ulfric Stormcloak, though Ulfric isn't dragonborn. You'd be wise to show them respect when you're there.” He turned to her for the first time since they'd left the throne-room.

“What exactly does it mean to be dragonborn?” Ekali asked, ignoring the cold look that he gave her, before he once again turned to look at the city.

“Well, for one you don't have to study the voice for decades to learn a few words. You can take dragon souls, and by doing so you also gain some of their knowledge. Some people with the dragonblood have been known to see the future. You'll also live longer, unless someone kills you of course. Since dragonborn's often gets in the middle of things, that's usually what happens,” he said with a shrug. Ekali shivered at the thought. Seeing the future? I can't have, can I?

Hrongar glanced down at her to see her brows furrowed, and though her eyes were pointed towards the city, she didn't look as if though she was actually seeing anything. He frowned when he saw it.

:-:-:-:

Ekali took a deep breath before she began descending the stairs, her mind still circling the happenings of the day. The dress that hung loosely around her body also covered most of it, with long arms and the hem by the ankles. The collar fitted snugly around her throat, and at times it almost felt as if though it'd strangle her. One of Dragonsreach's servants had found it for her, and though it wasn't one of the most comfortable articles of clothing Ekali had worn in her life, she was grateful that she didn't have to find anything herself. And when the other woman had inquired as to whether the khajiit had anything which could be used to adorn her head, Ekali has been proud to say that she had a circlet in her pack. Upon finding the circlet to be of copper and moonstone, the old woman had sighed and proclaimed that “it'll have to do”.

Screenshot

So it was that Ekali was about to attend to a feast with upper-class humans in a blue and white dress, and an old circlet that she'd picked up in a barrow. The largest celebrations she'd taken part in before had only consisted of taking a few mugs of mead with the other soldiers, and guarding nobles in the Imperial city. As such, Ekali had only a faint idea of how she was supposed to behave.

As her doeskin shoes touched the floor of the Great hall, a sudden silence fell over the room when everyone turned to see her. Pausing momentarily, Ekali fought the sudden urge to flee and took another breath before she walked up to the Jarl who stood a short distance away. He'd been talking to a male high elf when Ekali came down, but now the Altmer said something to the Jarl and walked away before she could see his face properly.

“Ah, there you are. Come, I'll introduce you to the city's nobility,” the Jarl said when she came closer, and it was with great relief that she noted that most of the people in the room had taken their eyes of her. Still, the atmosphere was tense in the room, and it was obvious that none of them had had much contact with any khajiiti before.

She walked next to the Jarl as they then made their way around the room, exchanging pleasantries with the upper class. Though she did not remember nearly all of the names afterwards, some of them were repeated enough times for them to etch themselves into Ekali's brain. The clans Battle-Born and Gray-Mane being two of them. One man, a Redguard named Nazeem, tried to capture the Jarls attention several times. However Jarl Balgruuf quickly switched direction upon spotting him.

So Ekali found it quite peculiar not to be introduced to the one elf- aside from Irileth- who was present in the room, and decided to question the Jarl about the matter.

“Who is the man you were speaking with when I came downstairs, my Jarl?” Ekali asked when the two of them were alone the next time, and the Jarl looked quite startled.

“Oh him. Of course, you wouldn't know him, having just come to Skyrim. I'm so used to seeing him that I couldn't ever imagine someone not having met him. The Altmer calls himself Sorcalin, he's been around as long as anyone can remember. My father introduced him to me. I doubt there's anyone of importance in Skyrim whom he haven't met, except you of course. Perfect gentleman, and he owns a house out in the Rift. Though now that I think about it, I have never found out how he earned all of that money, or where he came from,” the Jarl answered her as the two looked towards the high elf who was standing on the other side of the room.

Screenshot

“Would you introduce me to him, sir?” Ekali asked then, still looking at Sorcalin. Though she'd never be able to pinpoint exactly what made her wish to speak to him that first time, she had noticed that he was the only person who didn't seem the slightest bit hostile towards her, apart from the Jarl himself.

This post has been edited by Saquira: May 28 2012, 05:27 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 27 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #94

Master
Group Icon

“But how? How could a khajiit be dragonborn?”
How indeed? The greatest of Nord heroes... is a Khajiit? I love it here and in my game. biggrin.gif

A feast! Perfect!

A nit: While Ekali and Hrongar are outside together, you do some head jumping.

Ekali looks very pretty in her dress and circlet. I don’t care what the servants say.

Little alarm bells were going off in my head when I saw the high elf mentioned. He doesn’t look like the Thalmor however…

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 29 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

Excellent stuff... biggrin.gif ...

Love the extra characters that you've put in...*Applauds*...

I like the way that everyone is wary of the Khajiit...Such a weird idea for Bethesda to get wrong...That and the Argonians being pretty much absent from the game...Stupid...

Nicely done..

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jun 26 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #96

Finder
Group Icon

I'm finally getting somewher again, so I might just publish the next update before the end of the week, but I wanted to show you this. It's a work in progress poem/song thing. Don't really know which. Several things I don't like about it, and several things that I do like. Anyways, tell me what you think. Again, it's a work in progress, and nowhere near finished.

To Skyrim

In a carriage of wood
On ill-made roads
Across the Jeralls
To the North

They took me away
From my home
From my friends
To take my life

Dragonborn, they say
Is this my path in life?
Dragonborn, they say
How can I do this?

From Cyrodiil to Skyrim,
the destiny that's mine
A new life to lead

With Nords to execution,
A jarl, thief and warrior
A distant roar came closer
Gifted time in which to run

Blood seeps from an oozing wound,
and my heart carries me forth
Soft paws follow along,
as my hands raise the blade
We fight for our lives under the rising sun,
blood and gore wherever I turn

Beneath a broken spire,
we fight the loyal hunter
Then his chuckle pierce the night,
as I writhe beneath his gaze

They would forge me to their will,
beg me fetch every thing
Call me aar(servant),
I dare you
Dahmaan bron, (remember Nord)
Zu'u Staadnau (I'm unbound)

Briinah! (sister)
their cries pierce the night
Fahdon! (friend)
they would greet me as their own

--------------------
+Quote Post
Taaron
post Jun 27 2012, 04:29 AM
Post #97

Retainer

I really like how you are using the story line to guide you. I also like Gladio, too. Keep up the good work. Also, if you've played the main story line completely, you should check out my story, which takes place 82 years after the main story.

--------------------

"It is time for Nords to learn the truth. Eternal life can be theirs, without the need to spend an entire mortal life in vain pursuit of something completely unattainable. In the end, all valiant Nords can enter Sovngarde. "
[/color]
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jun 27 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #98

Master
Group Icon

I'm not much into poetry, but I do like what you've written. The second half is where I feel it really comes together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #99

Ancient
Group Icon

LOVE this poem !!! AWESOME !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jun 29 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #100

Finder
Group Icon

King Coin: Thank you. And well, I fixed that nit somewhat. Can't figure out how to make it better.

McBadgere: There are more characters coming, be assured wink.gif Though I don't know if any of them is an Argonian. I love the beast races though, there's no way I could leave them out of the equation.

Taaron: Thanks, I hope you keep reading smile.gif

mALX: ^^ I've rewritten it a bit since I posted it actually, so I'll post the new version soon.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali returned to Dragonsreach after defeating Mirmulnir, and was met by both disbelief and scorn. Then the feast began, and once again everyone's eyes were upon her. But who is the Altmer?

Chapter 3.7 Aka

The Jarl and the khajiit had to move slowly across the hall since many wished to discuss business of different kinds with the Jarl. Though he told them to talk with Farengar, or to wait until the next morning, their passing was delayed quite a bit.

They saw his eyes was upon them when the two were but two meters away, and he bowed to each of them in turn when they stopped in front of him.

“Jarl Balgruuf. Aka,” he said when he did so, first to the Jarl and then to Ekali, meeting their eyes with his green ones. Balgruuf gave a small bow in reply, and Ekali made an awkward curtsey.

“Sorcalin. This is Ekali, the dragonborn,” Balgruuf the Great said and gestured for the khajiit who stepped forward half a step.

“Oh I know. A pleasure, truly,” he said as he took her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss it. She watched him quietly as he did so, before looking at the Jarl who'd cleared his throat.

“Now I must get back to the rest of my guests, if you'll excuse me,” he said, not really caring for the answer. Sorcalin merely nodded and smiled again.

“Of course, my Jarl,” Ekali said and curtsied, causing a slight rustle from her dress. When the Nord had walked away, she once again turned to the Altmer whom had taken to looking at her. He raised a cup she hadn't seen before to his lips and drank the last of its contents before putting it on a nearby table. They stood so for a few minutes, simply looking at each other.

“What was that you called me?” Ekali asked after a while, causing Sorcalin to raise his eyebrows.

“Aka? It means dragon in aldmeris, you are a dragon after all,” he answered and an amused smile played on his lips. She looked back at him in surprise before answering.

“You speak aldmeris?” she said and he smiled at her.

“Some,” was his simple answer, before he cast a look over the room. “Very stuffy in here, wouldn't you say? Why don't we head outside for a little while.” Holding his arm out to her, Sorcalin turned towards the doors.

“Why would we do that?” the khajiit asked instead of taking the offered arm, and the Altmer cast another look around. Then he sighed and looked at her.

“Because at least half of the room is trying to hear what we're saying, and I'd rather talk uninterrupted. I'm not that fond of etiquette,” he said with raised eyebrows, and this time it was Ekali's turn to look around the room. Most people quickly turned away from her when she did so, but several kept looking in their direction. The female khajiit frowned, but turned and took the Altmer's proffered arm, whereupon they walked at a normal pace to the doors of the great hall and stepped out on the perch overlooking the city outside Dragonsreach.

“So, how does Skyrim greet you? I'd imagine it's quite a change to live in Cyrodiil for the whole of ones life and then be sent to such an unfriendly place as Skyrim,” the Altmer said once she'd released his arm and they stood a few feet apart on the walkway.

“It's a beautiful place, though the people doesn't seem to like khajiit much. Wait, how did you know that I've lived in Cyrodiil my whole life?” She frowned at him when she finished, unsettled by his revelation. What else does he know?

“It's my business to know things, and when I found out that someone new were coming to Skyrim, I had to know more about the person in question. Though I had no idea that you were dragonborn,” Sorcalin said with a nod and smile in her direction.

"Are you one of the Thalmor?" she asked, frowning, and he chuckled as he thought it over.

"Whatever made you think that? No, I'm not with them, wouldn't be if they'd covered all of the universe with their lies. Nothing good could possibly come from them," he said, and sighed near the end.

“So where are you from?” Ekali asked with another frown, and he looked away from her towards the doors to the great hall. Then he sighed before answering.

"I believe that will have to wait for another time, my lady. I am not the only one who wishes to speak with you, it would seem," he said as he turned his gaze to her again, and Ekali gave him a confounded look before turning her eyes to the doors. Hrongar was walking towards them, having just left the confines of the fire-lit hall. His expression was that of grudging determination, and his eyes met Sorcalin's when he stopped before them.

"Could I have a word with the dragonborn, in private?" the Nord asked, and the high elf answered with a curt nod.

"Of course, I was just leaving in any case," he said and turned to the khajiit once more. "We'll meet again, don't worry." And with a smile he turned from them and walked in the opposite direction of Dragonsreach, towards the city. Hrongar's eyes followed him for a few moments before he turned to Ekali whom was eyeing him expectantly.

"I've come to ask for your forgiveness. It was wrong of me to judge you when you've not yet done anything to deserve my scorn, and for that I'm sorry," he said as his eyes sought the ground and he shuffled his feet.

"I accept your apology," the woman answered, and he looked up at her with a frown. It looked for a while as if though he'd say something, but then his face changed, and he sighed.

"Dinner will be taken soon, if you would care to join us?" he said, and she nodded absent-mindedly.

"Of course." So she followed him into the hall when he turned, and spent the rest of the night in the company of Nords before she headed of to bed.

:-:-:-:-:

Finding herself standing before the word-wall in the gloom, Ekali turned when she heard the sound of metal against metal and Gladio's growl behind her. A draugr was in the process of rising from the large coffin on the small plateau in front of her, and she drew her great-sword to be ready for him as Gladio circled around the creature in her direction.

It's hollow eyes glowed blue in the pale light that fell on them from above, and they landed on her as the draugr took a hold around the edges of the coffin and pushed himself out of it. Gladio's growl increased in volume as it did so.

Finally free from the confines of the coffin, the draugr drew a waraxe and readied a frost spell in his left hand before approaching the khajiit and her companion. She tensed, ready to dodge whenever he would prepare to cast the spell.

Gladio struck the first blow, bounding within the draugr's guard quickly to clamp his jaws down around the creature's wrist, and it gave of an unholy scream in anger as it threw the animal of it. Then it turned to the woman again, and met her great-sword head on with his axe as he reached the end of the plateau.

The creature flung an ice spike towards her, and the khajiit female skipped out of the way just as Gladio came up behind the monster and forced it down onto the ground. The woman made to cut into the draugr with her great-sword, but it cast another ice-spike that connected with her left arm and forced her to drop the sword.

Taking her short-sword in her right hand, Ekali took a fighters stance when the creature managed to get to its feet again, growling all the while.

"Dir!" It called and rushed at her, axe held high. Then Gladio bounced in again, and took it's legs out from under it. The creature crashed into the floor, it's axe lodged in its chest. Still, the draugr made to get up, so the khajiit walked up to it and stuck her short-sword into its chest again and again, until the eerie light in its eyes no longer glowed.

Author's note: And so the third chapter is finished! ^^ Finally.

This post has been edited by Saquira: Jul 2 2012, 09:25 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 01:46 AM