Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Memoriam, Report / Reflect on Significant Passings, be they people, objects, and
Decrepit
post May 24 2021, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

I take the liberty of creating this topic, which existed on the Bethesda.net forum, for the reporting of passings/departures of significance to us.

I begin, fittingly enough, with the Bethesda.net forums themselves. I visited there just before returning here to create this topic. The Community Forum no longer allows postings/replies. That's new since I last visited there earlier today. The end draws nigh.

Also, an ending looms ever nearer in another field I have a special interest in, the Silent Film era. I have been following a Wiki list of surviving silent film actors for years, possibly decades. I've watched that list slowly but steadily decline, as actor after actor passed. It's down to three individuals now. All were, of course, child actors during the silent era. Two are brothers from a large, long-lived family. Seven or eight of them remained on the list for quite some time. The third was an extra in a number of Our Gang (later called Little Rascals) silent era shorts. Her sister, who passed long ago, was an Our Gang lead at the time. Ages range from 92 to 97. There are a few older actors still with us, but they began their careers later in life, thus made no silents.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 25 2021, 12:05 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ May 24 2021, 05:52 PM) *

I take the liberty of creating this topic, which existed on the Bethesda.net forum, for the reporting of passings/departures of significance to us.

I begin, fittingly enough, with the Bethesda.net forums themselves. I visited there just before returning here to create this topic. The Community Forum no longer allows postings/replies. That's new since I last visited there earlier today. The end draws nigh.

Also, an ending looms ever nearer in another field I have a special interest in, the Silent Film era. I have been following a Wiki list of surviving silent film actors for years, possibly decades. I've watched that list slowly but steadily decline, as actor after actor passed. It's down to three individuals now. All were, of course, child actors during the silent era. Two are brothers from a large, long-lived family. Seven or eight of them remained on the list for quite some time. The third was an extra in a number of Our Gang (later called Little Rascals) silent era shorts. Her sister, who passed long ago, was an Our Gang lead at the time. Ages range from 92 to 97. There are a few older actors still with us, but they began their careers later in life, thus made no silents.

Man, there’s just something about silent movies! Sad that the last vestiges of this bygone era are fading away. We have a couple of really old theatres here in Khajiitland. One of them did a silent film marathon a couple of weekends ago. This one was really sad that his two favorites, Nosferatu, and Metropolis, weren’t in the line up. Khajiit really wanted future Mrs. Khajiit to see those movies, and with full organ accompaniment to boot! Hoping they might at least do a Nosferatu screening around Halloween.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 25 2021, 12:53 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2021, 06:05 PM) *

Man, there’s just something about silent movies! Sad that the last vestiges of this bygone era are fading away. We have a couple of really old theatres here in Khajiitland. One of them did a silent film marathon a couple of weekends ago. This one was really sad that his two favorites, Nosferatu, and Metropolis, weren’t in the line up. Khajiit really wanted future Mrs. Khajiit to see those movies, and with full organ accompaniment to boot! Hoping they might at least do a Nosferatu screening around Halloween.

I wish we had a specialty theater like that here! My one claim to fame in that regard occurred back in the 80s, in the military stationed in Southern California. I attended a screening of Abel Gance's Napoleon on the USC or UCLA campus, I forget which. It featured a new music score specially written for the film, played by a large symphony orchestra LIVE in the theater. Alas, the evening didn't go well for me. The film had barely begun when a horrific migraine set in. It was murderously painful. It later turned into a 'sick migraine'. I remember cracking open the car door at least twice during the long drive home to vomit on the road (as I kept driving). Needless to say, I paid little attention to either film or accompaniment.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 25 2021, 02:26 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ May 24 2021, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2021, 06:05 PM) *

I wish we had a specialty theater like that here! My one claim to fame in that regard occurred back in the 80s, in the military stationed in Southern California. I attended a screening of Abel Gance's Napoleon on the USC or UCLA campus, I forget which. It featured a new music score specially written for the film, played by a large symphony orchestra LIVE in the theater. Alas, the evening didn't go well for me. The film had barely begun when a horrific migraine set in. It was murderously painful. It later turned into a 'sick migraine'. I remember cracking open the car door at least twice during the long drive home to vomit on the road (as I kept driving). Needless to say, I paid little attention to either film or accompaniment.

Aww man, that stinks! I bet that symphony was something!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 14 2021, 04:29 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

I haven't frequented this particular subforum in recent months, so I guess I missed the creation of this thread. But even though it happened a couple months ago or so now, I think we all need to hold a moment of silence for someone who was a dear friend to all...

Yahoo! Answers. *sniff* *sob*

The closure of Yahoo! Answers was truly devastating. A real gut punch. An ill omen. A portent of the end of the world. Okay, so there was some slight exaggeration there, but I will and do kind of miss those forums. The site was an absolute gold mine of absurd, mind-boggling, and downright moronic questions. Now where am I supposed to go to find out what to do about being pregernant or pregante or pergant? Where do I learn more about Luigi/Weggy/Wedgie boards?

One of my absolute favorites was one where this lady legitimately asked something along the lines of this: "I'm afraid my boyfriend is cheating on me. Can I be pregnant with the other woman's child?" Clearly, she skipped biology class every single day in school. The fact that people like that are real is astounding.

This has truly ushered in a new dark age. Farewell, sweet Yahoo! Answers.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
macole
post Aug 14 2021, 05:49 AM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Aug 13 2021, 10:29 PM) *

I haven't frequented this particular subforum in recent months, so I guess I missed the creation of this thread. But even though it happened a couple months ago or so now, I think we all need to hold a moment of silence for someone who was a dear friend to all...

Yahoo! Answers. *sniff* *sob*

The closure of Yahoo! Answers was truly devastating. A real gut punch. An ill omen. A portent of the end of the world. Okay, so there was some slight exaggeration there, but I will and do kind of miss those forums. The site was an absolute gold mine of absurd, mind-boggling, and downright moronic questions. Now where am I supposed to go to find out what to do about being pregernant or pregante or pergant? Where do I learn more about Luigi/Weggy/Wedgie boards?

One of my absolute favorites was one where this lady legitimately asked something along the lines of this: "I'm afraid my boyfriend is cheating on me. Can I be pregnant with the other woman's child?" Clearly, she skipped biology class every single day in school. The fact that people like that are real is astounding.

This has truly ushered in a new dark age. Farewell, sweet Yahoo! Answers.

I don't know what to do about Yahoo Answers but Pregernant video was hilarious. Thanks.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Aug 14 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Aug 14 2021, 05:49 AM) *

One of my absolute favorites was one where this lady legitimately asked something along the lines of this: "I'm afraid my boyfriend is cheating on me. Can I be pregnant with the other woman's child?"

This is a perfectly legitimate question. Pregnancy is contagious. You can also catch it by touching another pregnant woman's underwear. Or by talking to someone pregnant (unless you're wearing a mask). Well known historical figures got pregnant that way. Except if you are a man, of course - men can't get pregnant, don't be silly!

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Adella
post Aug 14 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #8

Evoker

I once got pregnant after sitting on a park bench that I know for a fact another pregnant woman had also sat on in that very spot not an hour before. Despite having cctv footage covering the park, apparently I still couldn't sue.
Khajiit’s topic…..Yes, I would love to see Metropolis and Nosferatu. I did get to see the whole of the former once many years ago, but I have only seen clips of Max Schrek scarily creeping about.

A.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 14 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm fully vaccinated so even if I were to catch a case of pregnancy, I would only become a little bit pregnant.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Aug 14 2021, 03:35 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

I hear those vaccines wear off after a while. There was this one woman who was also fully vaccinated, so she got it very mild to begin with. But then her disfigurement just kept getting worse as the vaccine was wearing off! ohmy.gif Best keep it topped up to be sure.

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Aug 24 2021, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Finder
Group Icon

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dies at age 80
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2021, 08:49 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

The fairly recent passing that saddened me most was one of very few US political figures / (former) office holders I retain a decent amount of respect for. As we don't get 'political' here, I'll say no more, not even his/her name.

Those who watched / enjoyed 'pro' wrestling back in the day might or might not have heard that Bobby Eaton, part of The Midnight Express, recently passed. Here's Jim Cornette's reminiscences of / tribute to Eaton, from his podcast as uploaded to YouTube:

(audio podcast) Jim Cornette Experience: Remembering "Beautiful" Bobby Easton (audio Podcast)

Cornette has trouble getting started, understandable considering his long involvement with Eaton. Thankfully, the co-host gets things on-track. Once Cornette gets going, he's his normal talkative self.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 28 2021, 04:50 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

An unexpected, highly personal parting occurred this morning. My beloved Sanyo microwave oven gave up the ghost as I began to prepare breakfast. It gave me nearly thirty years of reliable service, and served my parents some ten year prior to that. 400watts, its entire control panel consisted of a START button, two buttons that chose between DEFROST and HEAT, and a large TIME SELECTION wheel. Its door opened by handle.

It is survived by a microwave egg-cooker insert, which have provided some years worth of yummy hard-boiled eggs, and a microwave veggie-steamer insert, which I never got around to using.

As I rely on a microwave for the totality of my cooking, save a conventional toaster, its replacement was procured soon as I could make it to Home Depot. The new micro is bigger, much higher wattage, and has a ton more controls. However well it performs, it can never replace the Sanyo in my affection. Our first is always special, after all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2021, 05:11 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 28 2021, 10:50 AM) *

An unexpected, highly personal parting occurred this morning. My beloved Sanyo microwave oven gave up the ghost as I began to prepare breakfast. It gave me nearly thirty years of reliable service, and served my parents some ten year prior to that. 400watts, its entire control panel consisted of a START button, two buttons that chose between DEFROST and HEAT, and a large TIME SELECTION wheel. Its door opened by handle.

It is survived by a microwave egg-cooker insert, which have provided some years worth of yummy hard-boiled eggs, and a microwave veggie-steamer insert, which I never got around to using.

As I rely on a microwave for the totality of my cooking, save a conventional toaster, its replacement was procured soon as I could make it to Home Depot. The new micro is bigger, much higher wattage, and has a ton more controls. However well it performs, it can never replace the Sanyo in my affection. Our first is always special, after all.

Good night sweet Sanyo. May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 29 2021, 10:32 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Ed Asner passed away. He was on the old Mary Tylor Moore show and did a lot of voice acting.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Aug 30 2021, 12:08 AM
Post #16

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Aug 29 2021, 05:32 PM) *

the old Mary Tylor Moore show

I spent a lot of hours watching that show back in the day. In the early 70's there was a great lineup of comedies on American television: All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show and The Carol Burnett Show. Many Saturday nights my high school girlfriend and I would camp out on her living room floor and watch TV instead of going out (she loved Bob Newhart). Ed Asner played a small part in that period of my life. I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Aug 30 2021, 12:09 AM
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 30 2021, 12:53 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

“Mary, you got spunk…”

“Oh, thank you sir!”

*Raises voice* “I HATE SPUNK!”

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 14 2021, 10:59 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Lost a good one today. RIP Norm Macdonald .
sad.gif

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 15 2021, 12:46 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

Aye, saw that earlier. Very sad.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Sep 15 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

Hearing that Norm MacDonald passed away was a real bummer yesterday. Had cancer for almost a decade and told nobody about it. That must have been incredibly rough. I loved his comedy. In memoriam, here's some great content from him.

Norm Macdonald Tells The Most Convoluted Joke Ever - CONAN on TBS

Celebrity Jeopardy!: French Stewart, Burt Reynolds, & Sean Connery - SNL

Norm Macdonald Reacts to O.J. Simpson’s Twitter - Lights Out with David Spade

Celebrity Jeopardy!: Phil Donahue, Burt Reynolds, Marlon Brando - SNL

Norm Macdonald Constant S*****g on OJ Simpson

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:58 PM