Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

[quote=jonajosa][quote=treydog]
Or to put it in East Tennessean, "You done good!"[/quote]

Or in the Western North Carolinian, "You keep it up now ya hear!"

:goodjob:[/quote]

Or the EASTERN North Carolinian. "Reading's fer sissies."

lol. good story, even though I haven't read it all yet. im looking forward to doing so. smile.gif

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post May 25 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

hey Minque why isn't there a new addition? sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 25 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #43

Unregistered

Because Im working on it. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JJPro612
post May 26 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #44

Retainer

Very Nice story, i like it alot, keep it up. awesome

--------------------
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post May 26 2005, 01:43 AM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

[quote=jonajosa]Because Im working on it. biggrin.gif[/quote]

WHAT!?!?!?! So Jona why don't you have Minque's section done?

or better yet why do you have Minque's work??

[size=7]errmm just kidding

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 26 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #46

Unregistered

you can spit out topics as soon as your done with them. They need more going over before they appear here.

Besides im working on a part that is probirbly far ahead of the next part of this story. i don't know yet. kvleft.gif

just be paitent. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post May 26 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

oh ok thats good. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
minque
post May 28 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #48

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Covering my mouth and nose with a part of my cloak I trudged westwards in the whirling ash-storm. I heard some distant roaring but couldn’t decide from what quarter it came. I nearly regretted that I had promised Falanu to find her disappeared husband; it seemed impossible in this gruesome weather.

Then all of a sudden I found out what a Nix-hound really was; a hard blow to my back threw me flat on the ground and deprived me of my breath, at the same time something breathed hard on my neck. Its breath was hot and foul and it made me slightly nauseous. I remembered Falanu´s words and lay completely still. The beast clumped about for a while, sniffing at me, poking at me with his wet smelly nose. I slowly moved my hand down to my belt, unsheathing my dagger.....As the Hound was at my left side I turned around as fast as I could and buried the dagger in its throat. Warm sticky blood gushed over my hand as the beast gruntled and heavily fell to the ground beside me, twisting and tossing its legs in its death throes. Panting, I stood beside it until it was completely motionless.

As I was sure the Nix-Hound’s friends and family would come to its funeral I quickly moved along westwards. The storm diminished and the visibility improved. So when I heard a faint cry riding with the wind I suspected that it had to be Drerel Indaren. I stood still and listened in order to decide from what direction the cry came, and when I heard it again I started running as fast as I could towards it.

Drerel Indaren was lying among some upright boulders in a group; he had squeezed himself tight in amongst them in order to avoid the attacks from the Nix-Hounds. He was severely, but not life-threateningly injured, he had some nasty bites on his right leg and his hands were badly injured from trying to defend himself. The worst thing was his mind though, he was in a deep shock, couldn’t speak, he just stared terrified at me, lips silently moving, as I kneeled beside him.

“Drerel,” I said, “Don’t be afraid, I’ll help you to get back to your wife, she’s safe a short distance from here.”

“Uhu...uuh...” his lips moved but only guttural sounds came out of his mouth, so this was a bad case of shock and I wasn’t sure I could heal that..... And additionally I could hear the angry roaring from the rest of the Nix-Hound-gang who apparently had found their dead comrade.

I closed my eyes and concentrated, putting my hands around Drerel´s head and held tight, praying that the healing-energy would emerge quickly this time.......It did, I felt the warmth that went through my hands into his head, but I didn’t exactly know what it really healed inside it. It drained my fatigue, but after a couple of minutes I noticed his eyes lose some of that mad terrified gaze and then he tried to talk to me:

“ Errhh, hmmm, who are you?” he asked, his voice still a bit guttural, “where is my wife, where is she??”

“Shhhh,” I replied, I found your wife, she’s safe, I also killed one of the beasts that attacked you, but there still are some left, so we have to be careful.”

I then put my hands on the injuries on his right leg and with a rather minor effort succeeded in healing them; my skills must have risen, because I didn’t feel as exhausted as I used to, even though my shirt was soaked with sweat, I still could breathe without strain and also concentrate on the wounds on his hands. I needed him fit for fighting because I was aware of the furious Nix-Hounds approaching.

Drerel Indaren stood up, healed in body and soul, looking at me with as it seemed mixed feelings;

“Who are you, sera,” he asked, “What powers do you possess....are you a witch or something?”

“I´m Serene Catraso,” I replied, “Not a witch, but I do have some healing-skills; shall we go back to your wife now, she’ll be waiting for you.”

We were heading back towards Ald´ruhn and almost reached it when they attacked, four huge Nix-Hounds were over us in a second; I barely had the chance to toss my sword to Drerel and tell him to fight for his life, before I was slammed to the ground by a vicious blow of a claw-equipped paw. I lost my breath for a moment, and then I quickly rolled over just in time to avoid another vicious blow that certainly would have caused great damage if it had hit me. I jumped to my feet grabbing the dagger, swinging it at the attacking beast without really hitting it; I was far too unfocused and terrified to really fight.

Drerel was quite good with my sword; in a couple of minutes he’d killed one nix-hound and severely injured another. The man was terrified, his eyes wide open, sweat streaming down his face, yelling and thrusting the deadly weapon at the beasts, actually hitting them most of the time. Then I saw the third nix-hound crouching behind Drerel, ready to jump at him, so I flung myself at its back and buried the dagger deep in its neck. The thick warm blood emerged from the wound and was sucked up in the grey ashes of the ground. I felt sick; killing is always a nasty thing no matter if it is man or beast.

After that fight Drerel and I just sat down on the ground for a while, too exhausted to talk. Somehow I managed to take out a bottle with plain water from my backpack and we shared it equally.

Naturally, Falanu was overwhelmed with joy to see her husband again and the couple fell in each other’s arms, kissing and laughing. I felt good about this, yet also a bit sad; I wished there would have been someone for me as well, someone who would have been that joyous to see me alive and sound.

The reunited couple was very grateful for my troubles, but had little to offer me in the way of payment for my services. They did, however, give me one of their favourite books, “A Dance in the Fire,” which pleased me a lot, because it was a gift from their hearts.

I decided not to continue to Fort Buckmoth this day due to the state of my clothes and weapons; also I yearned for a hot bath to soothe my aching muscles. The Mage’s guild and its services seemed to be the ultimate solution at the moment.

Edwinna Elbert did not ask any questions as she encountered the dirty blood-stained wreck of a human being that was me entering the Guild. She just took me to a small room in the basement where there was a pot hanging in a fireplace, filled with steamy hot water, and a huge wooden barrel beside it. She mixed hot and cold water in the barrel, added some Heather and Gold Kanet petals and so bade me step into it.

The scent of the herbs in hot water was wonderful and when the water surrounded me I felt very relaxed and like I was in heaven.

After sharing the mage’s evening-meal, consisting of some dark bread, saltrice and comberry-juice sweeted with stone flower-nectar, I was very happy to get to the little guest room and lie down. Almost immediately I fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post May 28 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

Great Minque... :goodjob: Nix-Hounds give us dogs a bad reputation tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post May 28 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

[quote=minque]hen all of a sudden I found out what a Nix-hound really was; a hard blow to my back threw me flat on the ground and deprived me of my breath, at the same time something breathed hard on my neck. Its breath was hot and foul and it made me slightly nauseous. I remembered Falanu´s words and lay completely still. The beast clumped about for a while, sniffing at me, poking at me with his wet smelly nose. I slowly moved my hand down to my belt, unsheathing my dagger.....As the Hound was at my left side I turned around as fast as I could and buried the dagger in its throat. Warm sticky blood gushed over my hand as the beast gruntled and heavily fell to the ground beside me, twisting and tossing its legs in its death throes. Panting, I stood beside it until it was completely motionless.[/quote]

wow discriptive, great job Minque!

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
Stargazey
post May 28 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #51

Tes F'Ruum Leader

Very nice. You've inspired me to write more wink.gif.
+Quote Post
Elongar
post May 28 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #52

Finder
Group Icon

Very nice. You've inspired me to read more wink.gif Hehe!

--------------------
Power of the Shadow made human flesh,
wakened to turmoil, strife and ruin.
The Reborn One, marked and bleeding,
dances the sword in dreams and mist,
chains the Shadowsworn to his will,
from the city, lost and forsaken,
leads the spears to war once more,
breaks the spears and makes them see,
truth long hidden in the ancient dream.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 28 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #53

Unregistered

[quote=Soulseeker3.0][quote=minque]hen all of a sudden I found out what a Nix-hound really was; a hard blow to my back threw me flat on the ground and deprived me of my breath, at the same time something breathed hard on my neck. Its breath was hot and foul and it made me slightly nauseous. I remembered Falanu´s words and lay completely still. The beast clumped about for a while, sniffing at me, poking at me with his wet smelly nose. I slowly moved my hand down to my belt, unsheathing my dagger.....As the Hound was at my left side I turned around as fast as I could and buried the dagger in its throat. Warm sticky blood gushed over my hand as the beast gruntled and heavily fell to the ground beside me, twisting and tossing its legs in its death throes. Panting, I stood beside it until it was completely motionless.[/quote]

wow discriptive, great job Minque![/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. :goodjob:
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post May 28 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #54

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

[quote=minque]
Edwinna Elbert did not ask any questions as she encountered the dirty blood-stained wreck of a human being that was me entering the Guild. She just took me to a small room in the basement where there was a pot hanging in a fireplace, filled with steamy hot water, and a huge wooden barrel beside it. She mixed hot and cold water in the barrel, added some Heather and Gold Kanet petals and so bade me step into it.
[/quote]

hehe. Two forums, two chances to comment, and two excusues to read the story. Oh, life is good. :lickinglips: That just sounds so relaxing. Just soak, get rid of the grime, and wash the day away. Hm, giving me an idea that. Back soon, just going to get the hot water going..... :paperbag2: Now, do I have any bath salts that sound as nice as heather and Golden Kanet petals.....
+Quote Post
Aki
post May 28 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Fuzzy Knight]Great Minque... :goodjob: Nix-Hounds give us dogs a bad reputation tongue.gif[/quote]

Techincally, a Nix-Hound is a insect/Athropod. They are just called Hounds because they vaguely resemble dogs. tongue.gif

Good installment nonetheless. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post May 30 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #56

Mage
Group Icon

Great work again Minque biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 31 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

As always, your vivid descriptions make the story come alive. Serene reacts in a realistic way to the things that happen- rather than simply going from quest to quest, she takes time to recover and consider.

This story is an absolute gem.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 7 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #58

Wise Woman
Group Icon

The plan was to update now but there has been so much fuzz this week so the next part is not ready yet..so bear with me I´m working on an update!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 7 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #59

Mage
Group Icon

I suppose we can forgive you lol biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 20 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #60

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Might as well post this part once again, it was on the crashed forums..

introducing [b]jonajosa as guestwriter...........enjoy!

I woke up the following morning almost fully refreshed, though my muscles were still quite sore due to yesterday’s fights with the nix-hounds. I have found that a hearty breakfast always makes the day more bearable so I looked up Edwinna again; she seemed to have a soft spot for me because she greeted me warmly this somewhat chilly morning and offered me to sit down at the breakfast-table. Now Mages are really sensible people, because the breakfast I was offered to share with them indeed was a most sturdy one; Kwama-egg-omelette, boiled saltrice, fried ash-yam and a huge basket filled with the most delicate freshly made bread. A large pitcher with comberry-juice and one with hackle-lo-tea concluded the menu.

I sat for almost an hour eating and drinking and also socializing with the Mages of Ald´ruhn, who indeed were very nice and friendly. They also supplied me with food for my travels to Fort Buckmoth, because even though it wasn’t a long trip they told me the canteen at the Fort wasn’t a very good one, so it was best to have some supplies for rainy days.

It took me approximately half an hour before I saw the stone-walls of Fort Buckmoth. On the road I met a young Imperial soldier on leave, heading for Ald´ruhn to take the Silt-strider to Balmora in order to visit his parents. I asked him the whereabouts of the Training-Camp that General Darius wanted to send me to and he showed me the right direction, just over the hills behind the actual Fort.

As I came over the hill I had just climbed I paused and looked out into the distance, seeking any sign of the encampment that I was searching for. Sure enough there was the training camp right where the man I’d met travelling here told me where it would be. There were several rows of tents going over the next hill and out of my sight. To the left of the camp there seemed to be a bunch of blacksmiths with some more advanced housing. Not tents, housing. Large Redoran style houses jutted out of the tents like giant towers.

“I wonder which one of those belongs to the General in command?” I said quietly to myself. I walked forward towards the camp and within minutes I was close enough to hear the sound of someone smacking metal against metal. The blacksmith seemed hard at work today. But as I got closer the sounds grew into other sounds. Yelps of pain and surprise echoed across the plains. I frowned and sped up my pace to see what was causing the noise.

As I came through the rocks that surrounded the camp I saw something that frightened me to death. The imperial soldiers were fighting amongst each other! What could have caused this terrible battle that was going on in front of my very eyes? I looked for a place of safety from this madness but before I could even begin to move my feet in response to my mind a man ran up behind me and grabbed at my shoulder.

“Whaa?” I shouted as I turned around to see what had grabbed me. In the same motion I carried my hand up and swung it around to collide with the face behind me. I smacked the man with such a force he stumbled backwards and almost fell.

“My lady, why do you strike me?” He said when he recovered from the blow. I looked at him and saw he was but a harmless imperial guard.

“Sorry, I thought you were going trying to harm me.” I looked at my red handprint across his face and smiled. “Would you like for me to heal that for you?” I asked in my most soothing voice. The man started to take a step back but stopped when he realized what he was doing.
“No thank you. But General Jonus Artorius requests your presence at the tower.” The man seemed afraid that I was going to hit him again. He turned and began to walk towards a small wooden tower at the end of the field that the men were fighting on.

“Why are those men fighting each other?” I asked, trying to get the answer the question that I had been pondering since I got here.

“We are practicing for a battle that the general says might happen soon. He says we need all the experience we can get before we go into battle. So right now he ordered some war games between his captains and their troops.”

“Ahhh. I see.”

As we approached the “Tower” I saw some men standing up at the top of it shouting orders. One saw us coming and shouted down to my escort, “Is that the woman?”

“Yes it is!” My escort shouted back. The man in the tower turned around and disappeared for a few seconds before returning.

“Send her up!” He said and then turned back around to deal with whatever he was occupied with in the first place.

My escort turned back to me, “Go up those steps and make a right at the first door and you’ll be in the command room.” He bowed, “I bid thee farewell.” He backed away and trotted off into the battle that raged a few yards away. I followed his words to the letter and walked up the stairs, where I soon found myself standing face to face with the man I had been searching for.

“Hello Serene,” he said in a deep rumble. His eyes showed years of wisdom and his face bore the scars of many battles. I was sure this was a man I would not want to be fighting against at anytime. “Glad to see you could finally make it. We’ll get straight to business right after I finish this battle I seem to have on my hands.” He laughed and with that he turned and began giving orders to the men around him.

I walked to the window and looked out over the battle field to watch the carnage below. Arrows flew back and forth and men were constantly running into the thick of battle in the middle of the field. I looked closer and saw that in the middle of the field that there was a group of four wrecked buildings. Each building had a flag pole on it and there were flags on each one. Three flags bore the symbol of a bird with sword in its grasp and one had a yellow cross with a shield in the background.

It seemed to me that they were fighting for control of all four buildings. The first army to capture all four would win. I watched as the few men who guarded the last building fought as hard as hard as a whole army. They quickly dispatched of the first few rows of swordsmen that charged them but their numbers started to dwindle when the pike men rushed in. As the pike men kept their opponents at a distance, other swordsmen would rush up and dispatch of them before the defenders could switch their attention to the new men.

Only three defenders were left when a large group of swordsmen from their own army broke through the line that was keeping them from supporting the men defending the last building. They rushed across the rubble and collided with the main force of the attacking army. The shock that they caused rippled across the entire front and the attackers began to waver as the swordsmen cut holes into their ranks.

The men in the other three buildings tried a counter attack but it was quickly engulfed in the mad rush of the swordsmen. Soon the entire army that bore the bird banner was in full flight toward the end of the field.

The battle was over.

”Impressive, General,” I addressed the man by my side, taking a deep breath; I almost had forgot to breathe as I watched the battle. General Artorius wiped sweat and dust from his face and grinned at me;

“Not everyday we get a gallant lady as new recruit, “he said in a voice hoarse from many years of shouting orders at soldiers. “We will start by registering you in the Fort´s army-ledger; follow me to my office and I’ll provide you with the proper documents for the Registry.”

I was still taken by the battle I’d just witnessed and followed the General into his office. It was a rather small room with a gigantic wooden desk that completely dominated it. Bookshelves along the walls and a dark locked cupboard that was squeezed in made it extremely overloaded and there was hardly enough space for the two of us left. He bade me sit down on an uncomfortable wooden chair as he ordered the guard on duty to get the documents needed.

After filling them in I was offered a cup of tea; I didn’t recognize the taste, but found it inappropriate to ask the General, because he had a look in his face that revealed he had better things to do than conversating with a new recruit.

“Now then, milady you take them papers to Imsin The Dreamer down at the Fort and get your registration done with, then get yourself some decent armour and come back here and we’ll get you some quarters,” he grinned at me and continued: “Probably have to post some guards outside for ya ma´m, them young officers haven’t put eyes on a woman for a long time by now....”

I thanked the General for his hospitality and headed down from the tower in order to get to Fort Buckmoth to see this Imsin the Dreamer.

It was a short walk from the Camp to Fort Buckmoth; the weather was fairly good for this region, clear sky, no ash-storm, and just a faint breeze that sent my hair whirling in my face. I decided to tie it back before seeing the Registry Officer in order to make a good first impression- such matters are important I’ve learned.

Fort Buckmoth was a huge stone-construction, built in a square-fashion with a big courtyard in the middle. Nobody approached me as I wandered in through the main gate; everybody was occupied with their own business. I spotted a tall dark woman in a corner, obviously training blocking because there were at least 3 sturdy knights slashing ferociously at her with glistening long swords, but she blocked every hit.

“See that guys?” she shouted at the three after blocking a particularly savage blow from one of them, “It’s mostly technique, no force, to block a thrust like that.”

“Okay, Shardie!” The tallest of the combatants laughed and patted the dark woman rather heavily on her back.

I smiled at them and nodded before I entered the main Hall of the Fort. When inside I asked my way to Imsin the Dreamer’s whereabouts. I was shown the right direction and soon found myself outside a sturdy wooden door. I opened it and entered a rather spacious room, dominated by the huge desk made from a very dark wood that I didn’t recognise.

A tall broad-shouldered woman with a long blonde braid sat behind the desk as I entered reading some papers, but then she raised her head.....and I felt the ground beneath my feet disappear and everything went dark.......

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 PM