User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 11 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #1342

Master
Group Icon

Groceries went over budget today, a too common occurrence these days. A combo of prices being jacked up and the store being out of what I normally buy, forcing me to buy a more expensive alternative (or do without).

Bought a can of Amy's Black Bean chili last week. Not bad at all, and for once the contents in the can look very near to what the can's picture promises. Bought another can today for consumption later this week.

My weight has been creeping up, first noticed Thanksgiving morning 2019 (before lunch with my bro). It's now reached 160lb. That's not dangerously heavy, even for a runt, but definitely cause for concern. My 33" waist pants, which used to be rather loose on me, are becoming rather tight. Still wearable, but nearing their limit. Not sure what's causing gain. I eat pretty much what I've eaten for years, and stayed at 140-144libs. My diet is overall healthy to only marginally unhealthy. No stacking. One 'splurge meal' per week. Same old same old. I suspect something has crept in that I'm not accounting for. But what? Being physically inactive doesn't help, but that's not new either.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 23 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #1343

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ May 11 2020, 10:18 AM) *

Groceries went over budget today, a too common occurrence these days. A combo of prices being jacked up and the store being out of what I normally buy, forcing me to buy a more expensive alternative (or do without).

Bought a can of Amy's Black Bean chili last week. Not bad at all, and for once the contents in the can look very near to what the can's picture promises. Bought another can today for consumption later this week.

My weight has been creeping up, first noticed Thanksgiving morning 2019 (before lunch with my bro). It's now reached 160lb. That's not dangerously heavy, even for a runt, but definitely cause for concern. My 33" waist pants, which used to be rather loose on me, are becoming rather tight. Still wearable, but nearing their limit. Not sure what's causing gain. I eat pretty much what I've eaten for years, and stayed at 140-144libs. My diet is overall healthy to only marginally unhealthy. No stacking. One 'splurge meal' per week. Same old same old. I suspect something has crept in that I'm not accounting for. But what? Being physically inactive doesn't help, but that's not new either.

I always imagine you as being way too skinny by the sound of your diet; and am always happy to hear you have put on a few pounds here or there. A 33" waist on a pair of jeans is about as perfect as it gets on a man; so you sure don't need to think about dieting or anything.

Bread and pasta are probably the worst things you eat (from what I have seen on here) as far as weight gain goes. If eaten at the wrong times or without a protein to temper them they will act just like sugar and shoot your insulin way out of whack. (You don't have to be diabetic to have your insulin acting up).

Complex carbs like those beans and veggies are good for you; but breads and pasta are just fillers. "All you can eat" Restaurants always load you with yeasty bread rolls; pasta; and potatoes = because if you eat them while hungry they will shoot your insulin up and make you feel full really fast = so you don't load up on their expensive meats; and you leave all full and satisfied without breaking their budget.

Never eat carbs first (especially non-complex carbs like bread or pasta) when you are hungry (like if it has been over four hours since you have eaten) = always eat a bite of protein first. It doesn't have to be a lot of protein; just a small bite of some protein is fine. If nothing else; just eat a small bite of Wow-butter just before your apple; or dip your apple in it; etc.

As a rule = ALWAYS eat any carbs or fruit you eat with a protein (eat the protein first to keep your insulin from shooting up) = and this goes for all those apples you eat, too.

Also: Try to eat as "unprocessed" as possible = all those preservatives and chemicals used in processing are nothing but trouble for your health.

It isn't that you are eating different or more than you did before; it is that when your get over age 45 or so your Endocrine and Digestive systems just start having a little trouble keeping up with all those things they use in processing. It sends the wrong signals and ends up causing your body to hold onto and store the nutrients instead of using them. You end up feeling tired, hungry = and gaining weight even though your diet hasn't changed.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 23 2020, 05:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 26 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #1344

Councilor
Group Icon

Tea and patch notes for breakfast. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 27 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #1345

Master
Group Icon

Today's menu is: Dark Reaper's Division Black Bean Soup. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 27 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #1346

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ May 27 2020, 08:52 PM) *

Looks good!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 27 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #1347

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 27 2020, 01:54 PM) *

Looks good!

If you love the taste of tacos you will forever love this soup happy.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 29 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #1348

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ May 27 2020, 01:52 PM) *

Oooo black bean soup! I love black bean soup!!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 29 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #1349

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 29 2020, 02:01 PM) *

Oooo black bean soup! I love black bean soup!!

Its was delish and tasted like tacos and had a nice pleasant amount of heat to it, not to spicy just right.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 3 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #1350

Master
Group Icon

It's beginning to look as if the Walmart I shop at is never going to replenish its soup shelves. Soups/chili I normally buy haven't been in stock for weeks if not longer. I did manage to find a can of my Wolfe chili-of-preference this Monday, hidden at the rear of remaining mediocre chili. Last week I tried Progresso Cream of Mushroom. No thanks! I like some Progresso soups. Not that one.

Bought a tub of raspberries to add to my breakfast oatmeal/fruit mix. They're okay. Don't know that I'll buy more, as they replace nothing so are an added expense.

@mALX
As to a 33" waist, it seems to be the breaking point for me. A loose 33 is acceptable. Tight 33 is when I start looking and feeling roly-poly. I always looked my best with a 27-28" waist, but there's simply no way I can do the exercise needed to acquire and maintain that any more. Last time I did so was for about six-nine months during 2008, when I jogged almost every day, combined with light aerobics and extremely light weight lifts. It's prolly my final period of 'fitness' this incarnation. It came to an abrupt end within 30min of ending that day's exercise routine. Looking out the living room window, to see if mail had run, I was hit with extremely severe pain in both knees. It sent my crashing to the floor, where I lie for sometime, unable to rise due to knee pain. Took some years for knee pain to lessen to the point where I can walk 'normally' without any appreciable pain. But I can bend my knees only so far before pain set in and jogging .... wait, why did I let myself go off on this tangent???? panic.gif

At any rate, due to height and frame a 33" waist on me isn't as 'ideal' as it would be on a taller, larger framed person. It's certainly not overly unhealthy, but still...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2020, 02:05 AM
Post #1351

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 3 2020, 04:09 PM) *

It's beginning to look as if the Walmart I shop at is never going to replenish its soup shelves. Soups/chili I normally buy haven't been in stock for weeks if not longer. I did manage to find a can of my Wolfe chili-of-preference this Monday, hidden at the rear of remaining mediocre chili. Last week I tried Progresso Cream of Mushroom. No thanks! I like some Progresso soups. Not that one.

Bought a tub of raspberries to add to my breakfast oatmeal/fruit mix. They're okay. Don't know that I'll buy more, as they replace nothing so are an added expense.

@mALX
As to a 33" waist, it seems to be the breaking point for me. A loose 33 is acceptable. Tight 33 is when I start looking and feeling roly-poly. I always looked my best with a 27-28" waist, but there's simply no way I can do the exercise needed to acquire and maintain that any more. Last time I did so was for about six-nine months during 2008, when I jogged almost every day, combined with light aerobics and extremely light weight lifts. It's prolly my final period of 'fitness' this incarnation. It came to an abrupt end within 30min of ending that day's exercise routine. Looking out the living room window, to see if mail had run, I was hit with extremely severe pain in both knees. It sent my crashing to the floor, where I lie for sometime, unable to rise due to knee pain. Took some years for knee pain to lessen to the point where I can walk 'normally' without any appreciable pain. But I can bend my knees only so far before pain set in and jogging .... wait, why did I let myself go off on this tangent???? panic.gif

At any rate, due to height and frame a 33" waist on me isn't as 'ideal' as it would be on a taller, larger framed person. It's certainly not overly unhealthy, but still...

Ouch; that is terrible about your knees! I'm so sorry that happened!

The hottest male body I've ever seen was a 33" waist in a pair of Arizona jeans. He wasn't large boned at all; and probably right at around 6' tall. (not less than; but not much more than either). The jeans weren't too tight; but they weren't loose either.

Oh; on the soups = yeah; Progresso soups made with broth are fantastic; but their attempts at creamed soups all seem to be a big fail. I think maybe it is because they aren't condensed? Idk, but I won't even touch their Manhattan Clam Chowder; Cream of Potato; Cream of Chicken; Cream of Mushroom; etc; etc; etc. Now = their Lentil Soup is AWESOME!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jun 4 2020, 04:48 AM
Post #1352

Master
Group Icon

A glass of water and Pizza Rolls.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 10 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #1353

Master
Group Icon

I underwent extensive medical testing yesterday. It lasted all morning, followed by an hour break, then more testing. At break time, I was offered the option of a snack within the clinic or eating at the hospital cafeteria. As I had not eaten since supper the day before, I opted for the cafeteria, remember that it offers a decent if expensive salad bar. A mistake. I forgot that, like most eateries, lunch isn't served until 1100. I was left to choose from the breakfast offerings. Bleak they were. No eggs of any sort. Slimy looking hash-browns. Bacon strips. Patty sausage. To be fair, they offered oatmeal. But it didn't look fit to eat, and there was nothing to mix with it. I settled for a decent looking biscuit covered in sausage gravy, and, against my better judgement, a strip of bacon. The biscuit with gravy was okay for what it was. It had been so long since I last ate bacon I had forgotten how bad it can taste, and the gross aftertaste it leaves in your month. I still haven't gotten rid of that aftertaste!

An irony is that post-lunch testing took no time at all. Had I known, I'd likely have forgone eating at the hospital all together and enjoyed a slightly delayed lunch at home.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jul 4 2020, 12:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 10 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #1354

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 10 2020, 08:49 AM) *

I underwent extensive medical testing yesterday. It lasted all morning, followed by an hour break, then more testing. At break time, I was offered the option of a snack withing the clinic or eating at the hospital cafeteria. As I had not eaten since supper the day before, I opted for the cafeteria, remember that it offers a decent if expensive salad bar. A mistake. I forgot that, like most eateries, lunch isn't served until 1100. I was left to choose from the breakfast offerings. Bleak they were. No eggs of any sort. Slimy looking hash-browns. Bacon strips. Patty sausage. To be fair, they offered oatmeal. But it didn't look fit to eat, and there was nothing to mix with it. I settled for a decent looking biscuit covered in sausage gravy, and, against my better judgement, a strip of bacon. The biscuit with gravy was okay for what it was. It had been so long since I last ate bacon I had forgotten how bad in can taste, and the gross aftertaste it leaves in your month. I still haven't gotten rid of that aftertaste!

An irony is that post-lunch testing took no time at all. Had I known, I'd likely have forgone eating at the hospital all together and enjoyed a slightly delayed lunch at home.

You don't like the taste of bacon? ohmy.gif GAAAAAH! That is un-natural!!!!

Well, in your defense = if you ate it in any hospital cafeteria; it wasn't really bacon anyway. They only serve "turkey bacon" = which actually does leave a terrible after-taste.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 10 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #1355

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The only bacon I like is the smoked one, and I can't get it anymore here.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 10 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #1356

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 10 2020, 03:16 PM) *

The only bacon I like is the smoked one, and I can't get it anymore here.

My favorite is the sugar cured. (or even better = brown sugar cured!!! laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 10 2020, 08:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 4 2020, 01:26 PM
Post #1357

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 10 2020, 11:22 AM) *

You don't like the taste of bacon? ohmy.gif GAAAAAH! That is un-natural!!!!

Well, in your defense = if you ate it in any hospital cafeteria; it wasn't really bacon anyway. They only serve "turkey bacon" = which actually does leave a terrible after-taste.

Well, I certainly didn't like that bacon. Maybe it was a BSO? (Bacon Shaped Object) Regardless, its taste was far from savory.

I goofed during this week's grocery run. Forgot to buy tomatoes, though they appeared on the List. Piecing things together later on, I reconstructed what must have happened. 'Most' produce is added to my cart near the end of the run. (Apples & bananas are the exception, being the first two items added.) The normal course of events, once in the produce section, is onion first, then tomatoes, then red bell pepper, and so on. Onions are bought loose, and need a bag. The bag dispenser near them was empty. I looked around and saw a dispenser right above the bell peppers. I remember thinking I would grab the onion, then bag it while bagging the pepper. Me being me, I then walked straight to the bell pepper section without stopping to grab tomatoes.

I bypassed shrooms this week. They were in stock, but looked 'iffy'.

The run ended on an odd note. Not a single (or married) manned checkout register was open! That's a first. I of course ended up using a self-checkout machine. I reluctantly began using them for small, simple purchases some time ago. But never before for a full grocery haul. I'd likely have been okay had my cart contained so much produce, some of which lacked barcodes. The self-checkout section overseer kindly showed me how to use item lookup. Sadly, this turned out not to help, as the C19 protective groves I wear during grocery runs couldn't trigger a response from the screen lookup icon. (No way was I going to touch that screen without protection.) In the end, the overseer scanned most of my produce, both those without barcode and several with barcodes that didn't scan due to wrinkling. I hope this isn't the new norm. Not so much because I prefer a manned register for complex purchased (which I do) but because I don't like seeing jobs lost, especially 'working class' jobs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 18 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #1358

Master
Group Icon

Just my morning coffee and a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits for breakfast happy.gif .

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Jul 18 2020, 01:18 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 23 2020, 08:31 AM
Post #1359

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jul 18 2020, 02:17 PM) *

Just my morning coffee and a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits for breakfast happy.gif .

How British! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 5 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #1360

Master
Group Icon

This Monday, for the first time since right after the pandemic set in, my Walmart stocked cans of Progresso Traditional Broccoli Cheese soup on its shelves. I bought two cans. Had the first of them at lunch today. For a canned soup, it's rather decent, with a definite cheesy flavor. I add a generous amount of black pepper, as is my custom with most soups. Buttered 100% whole wheat bread on the side.

I've added chopped peach slides to my morning oatmeal/fruit breakfast. I use bagged frozen sliced peaches rather than fresh, as fresh peaches slice unpredictably, especially when on the mushy side. It takes only three chopped slices per breakfast to add a definite peachy flavor. One bag lasts me not quite two weeks. I do without those days rather than buy extra bags.

I added Baby Lima Beans to my salad-suppers. Makes them far more tasty. The downside? They make my stools slimy, cleanup messy.

For the past some months I bought mushrooms only when they looked fresh and crunchy. I discovered that, during those weeks I do without, I don't miss them. As of this week I am dispensing with them all together.

--------------------
+Quote Post

81 Pages V « < 66 67 68 69 70 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:18 AM