> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
SubRosa
post Jun 3 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #3701

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 2 2019, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 2 2019, 07:09 PM) *

On a different note, I just finished watching the Elseworlds crossover of the DC TV Arrowverse. This one was only a 3-way, with Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl. It was good though. A solid story with heart. It did not have the giant cast of last year's 4 way with Legends of Tomorrow thrown in, but the tighter focus served it well.

I loved seeing the new Batwoman. That was the high point for me. I was a little leery about the casting of Ruby Rose. I wasn't sure if she could live up to the role. But seeing this, I think she can. I look forward to seeing her in her own series.

Plus it gave me a new pic to use for Blood Raven in the Stormcrow fiction

So are you interested in the new Bat Girl show?

I had no idea there was going to be one! I just found an article that says DC scrapped their idea for a movie and instead are going with a 13 episode tv show instead. Sadly it is another case of it being on their company-owned streaming service. So Disney is going to have a streaming service. DC is going to have one. What next, the HP Lovecraft streaming service? The Stars are Right and you will watch all Cthulhu for just $15 a month?

But anyway, heck yes I am interested. Batgirl is probably my favorite comic book character. She is smart, and dedicated, and still remembers to love life and just be fun. I love the whole Batgirl of Burnside era. It felt so modern and real (and so similar to what I see here in Detroit right now). I was sad to see them veer away from that recently. A lot of my Stormcrow fiction is directly inspired by Batgirl. Which is why I made the protagonist's mother a red-haired librarian named Barbara.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 7 2019, 04:23 AM
Post #3702

Ancient
Group Icon

"BWAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

Bishme was sent home on Project Runway. verysad.gif

sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 7 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #3703

Master
Group Icon

Living the Dream with the brilliant Philip Glenister (Mean Gene from Life on Mars).

Yorkshire family ups stakes to take over a "resort community" (*cough* dilapidated RV park *cough*) in Florida.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 7 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #3704

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 7 2019, 07:16 AM) *

Living the Dream with the brilliant Philip Glenister (Mean Gene from Life on Mars).

Yorkshire family ups stakes to take over a "resort community" (*cough* dilapidated RV park *cough*) in Florida.

Oh, now that HAS to be funny!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 9 2019, 02:00 AM
Post #3705

Ancient
Group Icon

I saw Godzilla: King of Monsters. It was good. Not great, but good. Unlike the previous 'Merican Godzilla movie, this one actually giant monsters in it, and they even fight!

There are lots of said monster battles, so if you like kaiju movies, you will be happy with this one. The 'little people' (i.e. humans) are better represented as well. But there were too many human actors in it, which sort of pulls your focus on them in too many directions. I would have not had Kyle Chandler, Vera Farminga, or Milly Bobby Brown. I hate to say that about MBB, because as Stranger Things has shown, she is an awesome actress. But she literally only does one thing in the movie. Either give her a real part, or don't waste her time and let her make a movie where she has a real role instead.

Speaking of which, Ken Watanabe is back as well, thankfully he has a bit more to do this time around. But like Millie Bobby Brown, he is criminally underused. Everything Kyle Chandler's character does, he could have done better. Which is why I would have cut Kyle Chandler. He does have one really shining scene about three quarters in which is worth it all though. No spoilers, but it is perfect for the character of Serizawa.

Speaking of which, there were a lot of homages to the original Gojira film (the purely Japanese one, not the American hack job with Aaron Burr). Ken Watanabe's scene above is a big one, really bringing things full circle from the ending of Gojira. There is also a device from that movie which makes an appearance, which I rather liked. It was completely out of left field, but it made sense, so I smiled. They even brought the music from Gojira back, which I really loved. Like the original Godzilla roar from that film, the music is powerful, iconic, and has never been equaled in a modern Godzilla film.

Gidorah really shines (or glows) as the big bad guy in this. There is an anti-christ comparison that really stands out. Where the other Titans (which is a much better term than Mutos) are creatures of Earth, they really bring home how Gidorah is alien. It is a Lovecraftian creature from Outside, imbued with Outside powers, obedient to Outside laws. It is not just intent upon conquering the Earth, but altering it to its own alien environment. It really is the end of all things. We see a bit of Mothra in this, and a bit of Rodan. Plus some glimpses and mentions of other Titans awakening around the globe. But the core of the movie is Godzilla vs. Gidorah.

Oh, and there are decapitations. Titan Decapitations! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 24 2019, 01:18 AM
Post #3706

Ancient
Group Icon

Now watching Nemesis. A bad movie, with a lot of bad acting. But I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. At the time it came out (early 90s) cyberpunk movies were very few and far between. The entire thing has a really strong Shadowrun feel to it, which I was playing the time.

This time watching it I noticed something new. Or old. At one point Oliver Gruner's character Alex escapes from a hotel room by shooting his gun in a circle and blasting out the floor, dropping him down through the floor. It is exactly the same move that Kate Beckinsale does in Underworld. Only Nemesis was a decade earlier. So I guess this is the movie Underworld got that move from.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 25 2019, 01:16 AM
Post #3707

Ancient
Group Icon

Finished watching Conan: The Barbarian on blu-ray. Still a fun movie after all this time! I was really struck with how quiet the fight scenes are, especially the one where they kidnap the princess, and the final battle among the barrows. There are no shouts or roars, no taunts, no quips or one liners. It is all just silent killing.

I also noted some real longswording in there, including parts where Arnold was half-swording. That was really nice.

Next up, Conan: The Destroyer. Not nearly as good a movie. But it came with the first movie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 25 2019, 01:39 AM
Post #3708

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2019, 07:16 PM) *

Finished watching Conan: The Barbarian on blu-ray. Still a fun movie after all this time! I was really struck with how quiet the fight scenes are, especially the one where they kidnap the princess, and the final battle among the barrows. There are no shouts or roars, no taunts, no quips or one liners. It is all just silent killing.

I also noted some real longswording in there, including parts where Arnold was half-swording. That was really nice.

Next up, Conan: The Destroyer. Not nearly as good a movie. But it came with the first movie.

Conan: The Barbarian was one of the first movies Khajiit bought for Blu-Ray! This one bought that and Hero with Jet Li at the same time.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 25 2019, 01:58 AM
Post #3709

Ancient
Group Icon

The making of special for Conan is great. Arnold got his first stitches the first morning of the shoot. It was the scene where the wolves chased Conan into the tomb where he finds the Atlantean sword. He missed his step climbing up the rocks, and one of the 'wolves' (really a dog of course), bit the back of his shirt and pulled him down. That threw him into the rocks, and cut him up. Arnold got up and said "I'm bleeding!". So John Milius (the director) says "Great, don't touch it, it's great for the film!" laugh.gif

The whole movie is like this. It is great!

Of course that does not compare to Sandahl Bergman having a finger cut off during the Orgy fight. Thankfully it was reattached. Instead of being reassuring, Milius naturally said: "Valeria would never let that happen to her again."

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 25 2019, 02:46 AM
Post #3710

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2019, 07:58 PM) *

The making of special for Conan is great. Arnold got his first stitches the first morning of the shoot. It was the scene where the wolves chased Conan into the tomb where he finds the Atlantean sword. He missed his step climbing up the rocks, and one of the 'wolves' (really a dog of course), bit the back of his shirt and pulled him down. That threw him into the rocks, and cut him up. Arnold got up and said "I'm bleeding!". So John Milius (the director) says "Great, don't touch it, it's great for the film!" laugh.gif

The whole movie is like this. It is great!

Of course that does not compare to Sandahl Bergman having a finger cut off during the Orgy fight. Thankfully it was reattached. Instead of being reassuring, Milius naturally said: "Valeria would never let that happen to her again."

Holy [censored]! Sandal lost a finger?!! Khajiit didn’t know this!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 29 2019, 01:26 AM
Post #3711

Ancient
Group Icon

I started watching Cosmos again. Still love this show. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 1 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #3712

Councilor
Group Icon

I watched another of the series on railways that Decrepit had linked recently, and re-discovered the London Necropolis Railway. When I lived in London, i passed the terminal regularly, and already knew about the history, but it was great to be reminded.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 1 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #3713

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 1 2019, 09:30 AM) *

I watched another of the series on railways that Decrepit had linked recently, and re-discovered the London Necropolis Railway. When I lived in London, i passed the terminal regularly, and already knew about the history, but it was great to be reminded.

I thought I'd seen all three episodes this YouTube channel airs to completion. (Is three all there are?) I followed the link anyway. Glad I did. For whatever reason I stopped watching it with roughly 20m left to go. Lots of good stuff in those remaining 20m! The WWII railway disaster was especial interesting.

Otherwise I've stumbled on nothing new that jumps out and shouts, LINK ME.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 4 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #3714

Master
Group Icon

Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways - June 2019. A short video of heritage narrow-gauge steam trains traveling through idyllic landscapes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 7 2019, 11:18 PM
Post #3715

Master
Group Icon

Another recent video from Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 9 2019, 02:50 AM
Post #3716

Ancient
Group Icon

Just finished watching Hard Boiled on blu ray. Even after all these years, that movie is still bat-s**t crazy! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 9 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #3717

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Saw a movie yesterday called "Coherence". It was actually pretty good and was centered around a group of people in a house in the evening. Soon enough there was a blackout and weird things start to happen and everyone is trying to make sense of it. The movie was so good I didn't even bother to watch Family Guy which I meant to do!

Closest thing I can compare it to with regards to the underlying theme is a movie called eXistenZ. And yes, it's spelled that way biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 9 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #3718

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 9 2019, 03:21 AM) *

*snip*
The movie was so good I didn't even bother to watch Family Guy which I meant to do!
*snip*

ohmy.gif "GAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 10 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #3719

Master
Group Icon

Another good one from The History Guy: The Radium Girls and the Quest for Workplace Safety.

Ffestiniog Railway – Driver’s Eye View – Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog (Wales). An hour-long narrow-gauge steam train excursion through magnificent landscape. This is the sort of route I'd love to be able to reproduce in Transport Fever. An added bonus for me..it's filmed in the train-side view camera position I prefer to use in my TpF Scenic Excursions episodes. I'm sure some here will find this boring. Me, I eat it up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 10 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #3720

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 10 2019, 02:21 PM) *

Ffestiniog Railway – Driver’s Eye View – Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog (Wales). An hour-long narrow-gauge steam train excursion through magnificent landscape. This is the sort of route I'd love to be able to reproduce in Transport Fever. An added bonus for me..it's filmed in the train-side view camera position I prefer to use in my TpF Scenic Excursions episodes. I'm sure some here will find this boring. Me, I eat it up.

That one brought back memories. When I rode on the Ffestiniog, it was only open up to Dduallt, because they hadn't done the Deviation yet. I was good to see the top end route, which I'd only seen on a bicycle before.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 184 185 186 187 188 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:16 PM