Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kingdom Come: Deliverance, A new open-world RPG set in Medieval Europe
Renee
post Sep 20 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 20 2015, 12:18 AM) *

Seeing real longswording in a game is wonderful. I wish the Elder Scrolls games would do this.

I think it'll happen. Looks like KC: D has definitely raised the bar.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vital
post Sep 20 2015, 09:13 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 20 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 20 2015, 12:18 AM) *

Seeing real longswording in a game is wonderful. I wish the Elder Scrolls games would do this.

I think it'll happen. Looks like KC: D has definitely raised the bar.

Only if it makes $$$

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 20 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

Even if it doesn't make money, it's hard to ignore how stunning that looks. I believe this sort of gameplay will become sort of a standard. Not that Elder Scrolls will copy Kingdom Come exactly, but you know what I mean... I'm having trouble articulating it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 20 2015, 10:35 AM) *

Even if it doesn't make money, it's hard to ignore how stunning that looks. I believe this sort of gameplay will become sort of a standard. Not that Elder Scrolls will copy Kingdom Come exactly, but you know what I mean... I'm having trouble articulating it.

That is smart thinking there, Renee; I hope you are right! Maybe the next TES game will have it !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 21 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 20 2015, 02:59 PM) *

That is smart thinking there, Renee; I hope you are right! Maybe the next TES game will have it !!!!

I am just thinking how historically, sometimes somebody will provide something which is technologically-advanced (or whatever), yet whoever comes up with that idea might not make any money off of it, for whatever reason. Like for instance recently I learned that a lot of the original companies who provided broadband, streaming video, fiber-optic networks (etc.) laid all of this out in late '90s into the new millenium, and some of these companies didn't stay in business, did not make a profit, or whatever, despite the fact that all this stuff is now regularly used today.

It's the same thing, really. Even if KC: D doesn't go anywhere, assuming they're the only one who's that advanced with their combat / visuals, it's hard for other studios to see that and not think "that'll go nowhere". Then again, I have no idea what other studios are up to, because I rarely look at vids for other games. *whistles*

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 21 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 21 2015, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 20 2015, 02:59 PM) *

I am just thinking how historically, sometimes somebody will provide something which is technologically-advanced (or whatever), yet whoever comes up with that idea might not make any money off of it, for whatever reason. Like for instance recently I learned that a lot of the original companies who provided broadband, streaming video, fiber-optic networks (etc.) laid all of this out in late '90s into the new millenium, and some of these companies didn't stay in business, did not make a profit, or whatever, despite the fact that all this stuff is now regularly used today.

It's the same thing, really. Even if KC: D doesn't go anywhere, assuming they're the only one who's that advanced with their combat / visuals, it's hard for other studios to see that and not think "that'll go nowhere". Then again, I have no idea what other studios are up to, because I rarely look at vids for other games. *whistles*

Right now that company is looking for investors just to make the game in the first place, it is the perfect timing for someone like Bethesda to step in with funding and negotiate for a percentage of ownership in it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 21 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 21 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Right now that company is looking for investors just to make the game in the first place,

I'm sure they'll be fine. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 21 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Current state-of-the-game from the horse's mouth.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 12 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

KCD has entered BETA. Here is the developer discussing the current state-of-the-game, what is and isn't in the beta, what is (theoretically) yet to come, and so on. Lots of good info!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 12 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #30

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the update, Decrepit. It looks great. I'm ever so encouraged any time I see some competition for TES to help keep Bethesda off their laurels. The graphics look wonderful and some of the ideas and mechanics are encouraging.

It looks like it may certainly have the 'medieval' part down well - and that is its objective. I do go exclusively for 'medieval fantasy' though so I needs the elves and magicks and such. tongue.gif And like SubRosa, can no longer go for a game that issues me a character instead of letting me create my own.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 14 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 12 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Thanks for the update, Decrepit. It looks great. I'm ever so encouraged any time I see some competition for TES to help keep Bethesda off their laurels. The graphics look wonderful and some of the ideas and mechanics are encouraging.

It looks like it may certainly have the 'medieval' part down well - and that is its objective. I do go exclusively for 'medieval fantasy' though so I needs the elves and magicks and such. tongue.gif And like SubRosa, can no longer go for a game that issues me a character instead of letting me create my own.

These sentiments mirror my own, except that as both a lover of fantasy and a history buff I'm perfectly okay with a medieval RPG that sticks to supposed reality and foregoes such things as magic and 'exotic' races. But yeah, being forced to play as a pre-defined character with little or no customization is a huge deterrent, possibly a lease breaker. Were I to some day buy KCD it will be with the understanding that it is a different sort of game than TES and not a direct competitor/alternative. The whole thing is sort of beside the point for me in any case. My primary computer approaches the six year mark. I can't see it having the horsepower to run KCD with sufficient graphics detail to satisfy me, if at all. Nor do I expect to have enough disposable 'luxury' money to assemble a new rig until next year at the earliest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 14 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm pretty excited for this game. As much as I love Elder Scrolls, it would be cool to try something closer to Earth. I like how they're spending a lot of time making this game. The anticipation builds.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 25 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Made another of my infrequent searches for new Kingdom Come: Deliverance info at YouTube. Couple of items of interest...

A developers video from mid July. Lots of emphasis on the armor system, which is shaping up to be very nice indeed. Also talk of RPG and survival elements.

A brief Gamescom 2016 video. No narration, but some interesting footage. Emphasis on combat.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 29 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

I saw a video for this on YouTube over the summer, and it looks really really cool. Hopefully it doesn't go the route of No Man's Sky... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cain: Sep 29 2016, 01:16 PM

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 29 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

Oooh I missed the vids Decrepit posted until now. Wow, they really put an emphasis on combat moves. I wonder if it's only first-person game? I don't mind if it is, just wondering though.

I just read about No Man's Sky, it does sound like a mess. It mostly seems to be the online stuff which is glitchy though. Deliverance won't be online, will it?

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 29 2016, 11:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 30 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

Here's another brief Kingdom Come: Deliverance developers video, from early September. More interesting weapon/armor/combat goodness.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 30 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 30 2016, 05:22 AM) *

Here's another brief Kingdom Come: Deliverance developers video, from early September. More interesting weapon/armor/combat goodness.

I noticed a lot of their gameplay vids were in 1st person (with a very awkwardly placed left hand in camera view) and wondered if they were playing first person by choice or if there was no 3rd person going to be available.

Like Acadlan; I am not a big fan of games that create my character and storyline (and personality) for me (aka "Witcher," which also offers excellent graphics).

That said, I found it extremely interesting how they tested the armor and weapons for realism!

Seriously, I would like to give this game a free trial; but don't see me spending the same or more as I would for a finished game from a known studio like Bethesda just to be given the opportunity to beta test their game for them.

I noticed when they went Beta that they told a large group of their "kick-starter" investors (On film) that what they have donated (although they admit it was well over their goal for publishing the game) was not enough to beta-test for them; so if they want an unfinished copy of the game to test for them that the investor needs to give an additional 59.95 US Dollars (which is the cost of most finished games on launch).

I have always been leery of anyone in the "Kick-starters" site (not just because of all the scammers on that site) - but because; even the legit ones are a very risky "investment" that is very likely to never see a return. May as well call it a donation; and it isn't even a tax deductible one.

Big companies like Microsoft; Sony; gaming companies; etc - they are the ones these upcoming game developers should be turning to in order to fund their projects. If these small game developers can't get funding through a major company who is in the business of funding and distributing games; and has to turn to individual donations - something isn't right about what they are projecting.

Like Decrepit; I suspect in this case, those fantastic graphics they are showing in the previews would use a whopping amount of power that the average computer player may not have access to. If they can't make it for the masses, then it won't sell enough to cover the investments in it, and may never make it off the ground.

And between the cost of distribution; real advertising (not Facebook) they may never make enough sales to recover what they put into this. That, and without a real backer I doubt all those kick-starter investors who will be expecting a finished/polished game in return for their support are going to get one. What I saw in those gameplay vids was very rough, they still have a long way to go to perfect that game.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 30 2016, 01:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 30 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

Dang. Well that sucks if it's true, mALX. Hmm. I think maybe they avoid turning to big-money investors because those are the sort of investors who will tell the smaller kick-starters what they can and cannot do, if Big Money gets involved? Know what I mean? They try to stay as independent as possible, to retain their freedom of artistry (whatever). I don't know. I don't know much about how it all works.

I do know what you mean about pre-written stories & pre-made characters though. I've never played Witcher, but I used to play a lot of Tomb Raider. Although I could go back to totally linear / pre-written storylines for the nostalgia & guaranteed action, Bethesda has definitely spoiled me!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 9 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Another update, this one a brand spanking new progress VLog from the developer. Now sure I'll ever acquire this title, but I certainly admire much about it. (Even should I have a change of heart/wallet, I highly suspect my current PC is nowhere near powerful enough to do it justice.) What would be neat is for Beth to coordinate with these guys when it comes time to develop TES:VI. If nothing else I'd love to see Elder Scrolls titles with quality realistic melee combat, or as realistic as is possible considering that a Nirn warrior has to deal with such things as ghosts and ogres in addition to the humanoid opponents a Kingdom Come combatant expects to battle. I also like the layered clothing Kingdom Come implements, as seen in earlier videos. (Padding under armor and so on.) I've long wondered why no modder has thought to add this to Oblivion. (Yes, I know there is at least one "undies underneath" mod, but as I recall it's not geared toward realism as the Kingdom Come clothing system is.)

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 10 2016, 12:19 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 9 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

I'd say all that optimization they are having to do is going to take it from the Awesome game it looks like now to losing all the great look, feel of visuals; and inter-actives will be turned to statics, etc. verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:30 PM