Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bear Riders for Skyrim, or Bare Riders - it's much the same thing.
ghastley
post Oct 14 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Again, I'm splitting this off from Fleur, as it's getting a life of its own. Since she's helped me work on the armours, and done some exploring for me, I'm getting into making a mod.

The Bear Riders that were just outside Bruma in Oblivion, have moved just over the border into Skyrim. I found a location next to the road to the border crossing for the HQ, and added a "Gudrun" and a "Timo" to the staff. The building is an inn, with bedrooms and forge in the basement. The main floor has facilities for alchemy and enchanting. It's about the same distance from Helgen as Falkreath or Riverwood, so it could be a third option for the starting player to head off to join the Riders.

Joining the Riders is only for females. The bears insist on that, and they'll also require the right equipment on the rider. Their special armour can be forged only at the HQ forge, but tempered/improved anywhere. It all has the same stats as the equivalent regular armour of the same material, and is made from the same list of materials. If I can determine how to add a frost protection bonus, I'll do so. Since there's a perk to allow multiple enchantments, there may be a way to do that without blocking the player from adding another.

QUOTE(King Coin @ Oct 13 2013, 02:35 PM) *

I haven't found many bears in the Falkreath region in Skyrim, so maybe the bears can come from other places, but the trainer lives and trains the bears in Falkreath? That'll give a little more reason to actually go there...

That was the case with Meija in the Oblivion mod. She lived in Falkreath, and the bears were sent from somewhere else (Solstheim via Windhelm?) for her to train, so she only had one at any time. I'm thinking that the player will have to raise the cost of training a bear before they get one, and the trainer will have a quest to do as well. If I have a "recruit another rider" quest, similar to the recruiting for the Blades, then she'd start training more bears as the candidates join up. There are also possibilities for issues with her supplier, and a whole lot more.

I need to find an outfit for the trainer, that's similar to the one Meija wore - gloves and arm protection, so she doesn't get hurt by roadside foliage, and boots with possible thigh protection for the same reason. Minimal torso coverage, to keep the bear happy, and they also don't like fur or leather in any quantity. Chainmail is OK, as long it it doesn't contact the bear. She'll be a Nord - the 50% frost resist is a must in that outfit - and have an amulet to provide even more. (And it could get stolen for another quest opportunity.)

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 20 2021, 06:38 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ghastley
post Nov 29 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Bumping this to remind myself to revisit it. The hold-ups were:
  • the script(s) for Unna the Bear Trainer that would have her cycle through phases of waiting for a new bear, training it, and offering it for sale - possibly chained quests will achieve this, as each one can have separate AI.
  • Rider/bear pairings - this will probably just be arrays in the script
  • Patrol routes - I thought that I could re-use caravan routes, but they're not shareable, however cloning each patrol marker should be viable.
  • further quests

Dialogue is always an issue, but Timo's standard smith is OK, and only Gunilla and Unna need a unique voice (so far). The main worry is any need for new NPC Rider dialogue after recruitment.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ghastley   Bear Riders for Skyrim   Oct 14 2013, 08:46 PM
King Coin   ...and they also don't like fur or leather in...   Oct 16 2013, 03:49 AM
ghastley   I'm not yet at the point of assembling the que...   Oct 16 2013, 02:33 PM
mALX   *mALX shows excitement for this mod by riding pola...   Oct 17 2013, 12:39 AM
ghastley   I don't know whether it's just lack of fam...   Oct 21 2013, 03:18 PM
King Coin   ...but the existing code is [u]inconsistent and a...   Oct 21 2013, 05:56 PM
ghastley   Random encounter somewhere on whatever road is ne...   Oct 21 2013, 06:50 PM
King Coin   Yes, but... The story line I had in mind means t...   Oct 21 2013, 07:00 PM
Grits   I'm still looking for a good way to prompt th...   Oct 21 2013, 06:34 PM
ghastley   I looked into the idea of female children telling ...   Oct 24 2013, 06:33 PM
ghastley   More progress, though much of it backwards. I...   Nov 8 2013, 04:32 PM
ghastley   Over the weekend I rolled another test character -...   Nov 11 2013, 04:19 PM
King Coin   Heh, I can see why Ra'vish would follow the pa...   Nov 18 2013, 05:16 AM
Acadian   Since I'm not playing Skyrim and am not a modd...   Nov 18 2013, 02:58 PM
ghastley   Well, I'm trying to do so, but not yet succeed...   Nov 18 2013, 06:33 PM
King Coin   There is a decent selection of things for follower...   Nov 18 2013, 07:10 PM
ghastley   Silly things that hold up the modding process: Di...   Dec 1 2013, 07:00 PM
King Coin   I’m glad I haven’t really tried making new outfits...   Dec 3 2013, 03:28 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:52 PM