2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oblivion skills, what is your favorite skill
Acadian
post Mar 29 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

One of the things I really like is self-imposed 'specialization within skills'. For example, Buffy blends bow with magic - and both are extremely time intensive endeavors to develop and maintain. It comes with a price that we enjoy roleplaying:

She is perhaps Cyrodiil's finest long range sniper, but this focus has prevented her from mastering the ability to do the archer dance of shooting while moving or shooting quickly. Without magic, she would lose in a medium range bow battle against most bandit archers.

Illusion is her arcane tool of survival and she is a Kud-Ei level illusionist. She has even incorporated the destruction ability of drain speed into where it should be - an illusionist's skill to bring a foe's mind to a stop - mentally immobilizing them.

Her secondary magic skill is restoration and she is darn good with it. Because she is an empathic healer (thanks to her paladin), she can only heal by laying on of hands. For an elf who likes to maintain her distance, this can be troublesome (and dangerous).

Conjuration developed very oddly for her. She's a whiz at summoning mundane bound items (handkerchiefs, towels, repair hammers, hunting knife, etc) but could never summon a set of armor. With critters, she can summon the weak ones - even using a continuous bond of magic that allows them to stay until dismissed or her magic is cursed. But she cannot summon something mightly like a Daedroth or Frostie - not even for a few seconds.

In Buffy's view, destruction exists only for a few things: To weaken her foes to poison, weaken them to magic, start campfires, cooking, lighting torches or chilling an ale for a friend. Her offensive use of the destructive elements can barely kill a mud crab.

She's pretty good with alteration. Her Tinkerbell-like fascination with utility magic makes this school a natural for opening locks, helping her mare cross water, etc.

She makes superb poisons, but her ability to craft potions is so poor that she buys those from more skilled alchemists. She also doesn't carry fragile alchemy gear with her, relying on MG facilities or tipping a non-guild alchemist to use their equipment. That's fine for her though. Since she uses magic for everything except direct damage (bow), the only potions she needs are a few to dispel the effect if her precious magic is cursed by a foe (dispel the 'silence' effect).

Gosh, I'm chatty this morning! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 29 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

I am a big fan of Restoration. It is the dutiful daughter of the skills, always there when you need it for healing after a fight. Plus it gives you one darned good walloper with Absorb Health. Then of course you have all the Fortifies, Cure Disease and Poison, and the Restore Attributes are a must when Will-O-The-Wisps come on the scene.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 29 2013, 07:05 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 29 2013, 02:02 PM) *

I am a big fan of Restoration. It is the dutiful daughter of the skills, always there when you need it for healing after a fight. Plus it gives you one darned good walloper with Absorb Health. Then of course you have all the Fortifies, Cure Disease and Poison, and the Restore Attributes are a must when Will-O-The-Wisps come on the scene.

I'll second that. It's significant that the default spell that all characters get is a Restoration one.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 29 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(the listener @ Feb 21 2008, 05:52 AM) *

i want to know what everyones favorite skills are

Hi "the Listener", great topic! welcome to this forum !

*biggrin.gif* just kidding.

I don't have a favorite, but my characters often do. Of the active ones: Lady Saga prefers Marksman/Archery and Mysticism (Detect Life up the Ying Yang with her). Kahreem of Weet likes Blunt and Sneak most of all.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Mar 29 2013, 07:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 19 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 29 2013, 02:01 PM) *

Buffy the Bowgirl says, "Why send an elf where an arrow can go?"

Because arrows can't shop? biggrin.gif

I'd have to go with Destruction, easily my favourite. Nearly all of my characters have used it.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 19 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #26

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 19 2013, 03:39 AM) *

Because arrows can't shop? biggrin.gif

I'd have to go with Destruction, easily my favourite. Nearly all of my characters have used it.

Good point! (Get it? *groan*) laugh.gif

Buffy has recently had to learn two new destruction effects as critical to her primary arcane abilities. She actually learned the effects from master healers in the school of restoration. As a skilled healer herself, she has found it necessary to incorporate the destructive effects of disintegrate armor and weapons. Disintegrating armor is often the best way to clear the area of an armored ally's wound to better heal it. And disintegrating an embedded arrow is the best start to effective treatment of such a wound. Of course there is an offensive benefit. When one of Buffy's melee helpers needs to fight a marauder, a spell from Buffy to weaken the brute's armor is most helpful since her helpers generally rely on tooth and claw to attack.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:16 AM