Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 5
treydog
post Apr 16 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 5

Dedicated to the memory of Jonajosa. Be at peace, my friend.

Rather than walk back to the Palace, I used an amulet to cast Divine Intervention. Mainly, I chose that means of transport because I was terribly weary. But I admit that it was also a calculated insult to the Tribunal Temple. After all, the spell carried me to the entrance of the Imperial Cult, their religious rival. Once I had been deposited in the Palace courtyard, I mentally prepared myself for my meeting with Tienius Delitian. If possible, I hoped to keep Galsa Andrano’s name to myself- betrayal did not come easily to me. Though she was a member of Almalexia’s Temple, she was not responsible for its misguided choices. Before heading for the throne room, I nipped down the stairs to the basement and exchanged my armor for a robe. While the Dark Brotherhood armor might have served as a pointed reminder of Helseth’s murderous intent toward me, I did not think it wise to appear before his guards dressed as an assassin. While the King’s paranoia might be the product of a guilty conscience, theirs was a professional reflex- one that I preferred not to test. A measure of their caution was the fact that I had yet to lay eyes on Helseth, even in his own throne room. Confronting him with my…righteous indignation was going to be difficult if all he ever did was cower in his private chambers. Of course, he would also have a hard time governing from that position, a prospect that did not make me particularly unhappy. On the other hand, my disagreement with Helseth was personal rather than political, so I rather hoped he would show his sorry face sometime soon.

If Captain Delitian was happy to see me, he disguised it quite well. Stony-faced, he stared at me and queried,

“Have you anything to report? Or have you just been wandering around Mournhold gawking at the sights?”

I was becoming used to his irritating manner, having realized that his baiting was as much an attempt to surprise me into blurting something revealing as because he genuinely disliked me. Besides that, I didn’t really care- I didn’t much like him, either. So I simply smiled blandly at his sneer and described what I had discovered regarding the Temple’s view of his precious monarch. At the end of my recital, he grunted and said,

“Of course, I had someone follow you, so I know that you spent some time with the healer, Galsa Andrano. She certainly speaks her mind, and, from what you say, sounds sincere. You handled her well. The Temple seems to recognize that King Helseth will not be content to be a puppet like King Llethan, and plans to act against us. Very good work, Trey. The king will hear of your loyal service.”

So much for keeping Galsa out of it. Well, I had tried. And perhaps there would not be a confrontation between Temple and king. Better still, maybe someday I would get over the feeling that I was a particularly low form of life that betrayed confidences.

Meanwhile, Delitian had other things on his mind. Motioning for me to follow him out into the hallway, he dropped his voice and said,

“Now you can help us with another matter. King Helseth is concerned about possible disloyalty among the Guards. I've replaced many of the former king's guards with more reliable men. But I had to keep some experienced guards, and I can't be certain of their loyalties. I will pretend you wish to join the Royal Guards. That's your excuse for talking to the guards, sounding them out, and looking for evidence of disloyalty. If you find any hint of treason or evidence of disloyalty, report it to me. Take no action. Report to me, and I will judge what action is appropriate.”

The cover story struck me as being awfully thin, although it would have the advantage of explaining my repeated visits to the captain. Hoping for a bit of guidance, I inquired as to which guards I should investigate. Delitian’s familiar scowl reappeared and he replied,

“It's your judgment I'm testing, not mine. Talk to them yourself. Form your own conclusions.”

The assignment revealed still more of Helseth’s problems- and his errors. I was practically certain now that he was responsible for King Llethan’s death. And it seemed that a number of others had reached the same conclusion- including some of the palace guards. Regardless of whether they had personally liked the old king or not, his safety had been their responsibility…and they had failed to protect him. I had no way of knowing whether Helseth was any good as a ruler, but he had a positive genius for making enemies. So far, he had alienated the Temple, the conservative Dunmer (probably including House Redoran), and some of his own guards. And, oh yes, one insignificant but highly motivated Breton. He was beginning to discover that a major problem with ascending to the throne through assassination was the ideas it put into other people’s heads. Ideas like- if one king can be killed, why not two? Actual justice is often fickle or uncertain, but watching a guilty man squirm in fear of justice can sometimes be an acceptable substitute.

None of these ruminations were getting me any closer to finding out which guards, if any, were contemplating a change in management. The only thing for it was to visit the guard quarters and spread some charm and cash. I briefly entertained the notion of trying to implicate some of the loyal guards, thus weakening Helseth, but realized that Delitian wanted evidence- not just my accusations. I again had to play it straight if I was to have any hope of gaining the king’s confidence.

The guard quarters were functional and little else- each guard had a bed and a locked chest for personal items. The room itself was open and offered no possibility of concealment. A quick glance at the chests showed that the locks were of reasonable quality. I could get past them with sufficient time or with a spell, but the idea of getting caught rummaging through a Royal Guard’s possessions did not appeal to me. My fears were given additional emphasis when a guard wandered through the room, and turned his helmeted head to stare at me. Sighing with disgust, I sat down on a storage chest to consider my options. As I idly traced the badly carved name on the chest, Ivulen Irano, my eyes fell upon a scrap of parchment that had fallen between the chest and the foot of the bed. Thinking it was probably a note inviting the guard out for drinks after work, I picked it up. After some effort to decipher the tiny and nearly illegible handwriting, I understood that it was a copy of guard duty rosters for the past several weeks. Three names were always correctly spelled -- Milvela Dralen, Ivulen Irano, and Aleri Aren -- and those watches when all three were the only guards in the Throne Room were underlined twice. My finely-honed investigative senses told me that this might be what was known in the trade as a “clue.” More to the point, I thought it might be a good idea to talk to Guardsman Ivulen Irano.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
treydog   Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 5   Apr 16 2006, 07:13 PM
minque   Oh my....another masterpiece, with a dedication th...   Apr 16 2006, 08:00 PM
Konradude   I loved the description in this one..I don't k...   Apr 16 2006, 09:18 PM
canis216   Another great addition to the canon of Trey.   Apr 18 2006, 04:48 PM
Soulseeker3.0   very nice Trey, I love the way you put feelings be...   Apr 19 2006, 12:01 AM
treydog   Based on the rosters, it appeared that Irano was p...   Apr 22 2006, 08:20 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Don't know how many times I've replied wit...   Apr 22 2006, 08:29 PM
minque   Another Trey tonight! As usual that means a go...   Apr 22 2006, 10:44 PM
Soulseeker3.0   Very nice Trey, Very nice. And I agree with Fuzzy,...   Apr 22 2006, 11:05 PM
treydog   The door was opened by a Bosmer wearing a partial ...   Apr 28 2006, 01:50 AM
Fuzzy Knight   Don't ever stop writing, you hear me Trey...   Apr 28 2006, 01:06 PM
Wolfie   Nice update trey :) Keep them coming :D   Apr 28 2006, 04:26 PM
minque   yes....what Fuzzy said....must agree.....can´t dr...   Apr 28 2006, 08:52 PM
mplantinga   I particularly enjoyed (as usual) Trey's intro...   May 1 2006, 06:49 PM
Kiln   Sorry for not commenting sooner Trey but as Minque...   May 2 2006, 03:37 AM
Elidor   Gotta love this fanfic, it is honestly very inspir...   May 5 2006, 04:40 AM
treydog   Sorry for the shorter than usual installment. It ...   May 7 2006, 02:20 AM
minque   Ahh treydog.....you really had to do it huh? A cli...   May 7 2006, 05:41 PM
Kiln   Slightly shorter than usual but just as well, nice...   May 9 2006, 06:25 PM
treydog   My idea was simple- I wanted revenge on Helseth; t...   May 13 2006, 03:25 AM
DarkHunter   Even the best plans back-fire eh? :)   May 13 2006, 05:54 AM
minque   So my dear Trey....going back into the sewers are ...   May 13 2006, 05:11 PM
mplantinga   It is sad that Trey's plan isn't working o...   May 15 2006, 08:34 PM
treydog   It was hard to blame Berano and Alen for deciding ...   May 18 2006, 12:54 AM
DarkHunter   An Update!! :) Trey your stuff is the BEST...   May 18 2006, 10:54 AM
mplantinga   Another excellent installment, as always. It might...   May 18 2006, 04:50 PM
treydog   So here is a birthday gift (in the hobbit traditio...   May 21 2006, 05:20 PM
minque   O-o.....Now the dear Trey is stepping on thin ice....   May 21 2006, 05:44 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Couldn't say it better myself Minque - Great ...   May 21 2006, 08:07 PM
canis216   You've got more than one or two still reading,...   May 21 2006, 05:46 PM
Wolfie   Yay for more Trey :) I like the moral debates that...   May 22 2006, 04:59 PM
mplantinga   Trey has certainly been making good use of his man...   May 22 2006, 06:01 PM
treydog   As I had expected, Ten-Tongues was more than happy...   May 23 2006, 01:34 AM
Kiln   I just got on and saw this...it seems that I misse...   May 23 2006, 02:54 AM
minque   Mr Oven just about said all I´d want to say about...   May 23 2006, 11:14 PM
burntsierra   Darn, I missed quite a few updates here. Just caug...   May 24 2006, 12:20 AM
treydog   As I stood before the locked door in the Craftsmen...   May 26 2006, 01:27 AM
Tellie   Wohoo...I'm the first one to answer. :D You d...   May 26 2006, 01:47 AM
canis216   Great chapter!   May 26 2006, 01:25 PM
Wolfie   Hehe, can't wait to see what Barenziah has to ...   May 26 2006, 04:28 PM
mplantinga   It was good to see Trey avoid bloodshed in his mee...   May 26 2006, 06:01 PM
McBadgere   Fair dues...It's a damned lonely time for Trey...   Sep 5 2013, 06:19 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 01:20 PM