Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photographic diary of Veritas Marcellius, Patron and holy knight of Talos, abandoned by his Empire
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 22 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

My name is Veritas Marcellius.

I was a patron of Talos, and served many a year as a knight to spread his wisdom, the wisdom that all Men contain within them the spark of Divine. The spark Talos realized existed, and granted him his ascendance upon his death after founding the Third Empire and leading it to glory, glory that Tamriel has never seen since the death of St. Martin in the 433rd year of the Third Age.

But now, I am forgotten. My Empire is weak and feeble, and for one more day of pretending his glory had returned, my faith has been stricken. The White Gold Concordat... my death sentence. With my faith signed away, I could no longer crusade in the name of Tiber Septim, for the Nine became Eight once again. All thanks to the Thalmor. Damn elves.

My days as a preacher in Bruma did not last long. When the Thalmor learned of my defiance, they took my wife and two sons while they slept. No one knows what happened to them, where the Thalmor took them. But I do know this: they will pay for their treachery.

But I cannot stay in Cyrodiil, for I do not wish to endanger my kin any further (knowing the Thalmor, my family is simply imprisoned. They understand the importance of leverage quite well). My crusade must be waged elsewhere, someplace where Talos is still accepted and loved. Someplace like Skyrim, where Ulfric Stormcloak has heard Talos' plea for aid in these dark days.

My first day in Skyrim was... interesting. I tried to cross the border under cover of a rebel raiding party, but the Legion had laid an ambush for them, catching the entire raiding party, Ulfric included, as well as a horse thief... and myself. We were brought to Helgen, our destiny being the Block.

And that's when the dragon attacked. I never thought I'd ever believe it, but I believe in what my own two eyes would see, and I saw a dragon, black as midnight, swoop down from the clouds and burn the village to the ground.

The rest of the day... I don't remember much, it was all a haze of adrenaline fueled by threat of death. All I know is that I now have a friend in the rebel ranks, and I might just be able to convince Ulfric to allow me to fight for him. I do remember my friend saying you need not be a Nord to fight for Skyrim's freedom.

Tirdas: 18th of Last Seed, 4E 201[i]

Having spent the remainder of Morndas in the quiet hamlet of Riverwood brushing up on my smithing (I had gone rather rusty in the forge since my order was disbanded), I now had a Claymore back in my hands. Not a particularly fine example, but it will have to do for now. Today, I was to travel to the city of Whiterun and make a plea to the Jarl for aid to be sent to Riverwood so tat it would not go the way of Helgen.

It took some convincing the city Guard to let them in, but they were willing once I told them I had witnessed the Helgen attack. On the way, I met a Smith named Adrienne Avenicci, a sister of Cyrodiil, who needed an errand run for her: she needed a blade she crafted for the Jarl delivered to his steward (who happened to be her father).

I was more than willing to assist, especially if it meant making some friends in the Court. For all I can be certain of, I am now starting my life all over again. All I have to my name is the blade on my back and the coin in my purse. And I will not waste any opportunity to fill it with some honest work.

I passed a man giving a sermon to Talos on the way to the keep of Dragonsreach. A daring man, one who reminded me of myself all those days ago in Bruma.

The Jarl was rather busy when I arrived, but he eventually heard me out, and gave me some new armor crafted from fine steel as thanks for bringing him warning of the dragon threat to his city. He also had a task for me. Or rather, his snooty court mage did. I am to travel to Bleak Falls Barrow to find a Dragonstone, which contains a map of ancient dragon burials in Skyrim. Oh, and don't forget the most important and delicate matter of all:

A local alchemist needs some frost salts delivered to her.

There has also been a bounty placed on the head of the Halted Stream bandit clan. And a local Redguard needs me to hunt down a family Blade for him. It feels good to be doing good deeds for the people of Tamriel once again.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 22 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I'm surprised he's assisting Adrienne Avenicci, especially when she's under Imperial contract.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 22 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, he looks so sad in the first screen !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 22 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

@King Coin: He isn't yet aware of Whiterun's Imperial leanings, he only just arrived in town five minutes ago, and had previously been told that Whiterun is neutral in the Civil War. She asked him to bring the sword up to her father when he was speaking with her to get his bearings. Nothing wrong with running a blade from A to B. tongue.gif

He may despise the Empire for what they did to him, but he does not let bitter resentment lead him by the nose. Veritas is a patron of Talos, he knows better. He just won't be helping Adrienne with her smithing any time soon. And probably won't be doing much buying from Warmaidens, either. Plus, at least being on good terms with her means he is allowed use of the forge, and I'm sure you know how important that is for a Smith. wink.gif

@mALX: Melancholy is what I was going for, glad it seems to have worked. smile.gif

Anyways, time to recap the adventure to Halted Stream Camp...

Ready for battle, Veritas begins a careful approach of the encampment, ready for any hostility.

I guess bringing this guy in alive is no longer an option... didn't leave much choice.

With the camp clear, Veritas can get to work. Turns out it was guarding a rich iron mine, plenty for Veritas to work out his smithing kinks when he returns to Whiterun.

Now THAT'S a kill. Wonder how they pulled this off....

Oh, I see. Deadfall, with a couple more unlucky souls inside. Talos guide them to the Heavens.

Well, since he's here, might as well grab some meat off the carcass. It's still fresh, given all the recently spilled blood on the ground, and there is no way a small bandit clan could have taken all the meat.

Dinner before returning to Whiterun. Some cold pheasant cooked the day before with some bread and Alto wine. Not a meal for royalty, but it's enough.

And now, a nice warm bed at the Bannered Mare. This was a big day for Veritas the Knight of Talos. No doubt more will come tomorrow.

Tomorrow's plans: Travel to Bleak Falls Barrow to search for that Dragonstone Farengar wanted.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 22 2011, 10:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 23 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, this is fun! Veritas looks so tough and sad in his dinner picture. That's my favorite one. Vino and Veritas. tongue.gif

(Yes, I managed to mess up the spelling in this little post. Argh.)

This post has been edited by Grits: Dec 23 2011, 12:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 23 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #6

Paladin
Group Icon

So we have a holy knight who is familiar with steel and definitely posilutely not an elf. Damn elves. tongue.gif

Veritas: Speak the truth and wield a big sword.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 23 2011, 03:03 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 23 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

Continuation from before: I don't normally post this often, but I had a very fun romp through Bleak Falls Barrow, and there were several superb photo-ops.

Having fought through bandits outside and in, now the only thing standing in Veritas' way were some spiderwebs.

Hacking through, the journey continued uneventfully for a short while, until he witnessed a bandit meet his end from a trapped lever.

Observing the murals on the wall and the nearby pillars, this seemed like some sort of puzzle, and made much clearer when Veritas discovered the pillars could be rotated.

Veritas quickly matched the pillars to the wall murals and tried the same lever that the bandit died using, except for him, it opened the door.

Once through, there was a nasty surprise waiting for our Knight. A Frostbite Spider had entangled a Dunmer in its web, and now it was coming for him.

After a difficult, but short fight, Veritas moved to help the Dunmer down. His ramblings about a "Golden Claw" and Hall of Stories didn't really interest him, Veritas was here for the Dragonstone. So when the Dunmer took off under the impression he wanted a cut of the treasure, Veritas merely shook his head and plodded onwards....

After a lengthy crawl through corridors filled with Draugr, traps, and glowing fungi, Veritas finally discovered that secret place the Dunmer mentioned. With the Dunmer dead, there was nothing stopping Veritas from finishing what he started, after all. Within the grand chamber was a colossal wall that seemed to be chanting to Veritas. And when he got close, he felt the presence of an ancient knowledge. As it filled his mind, the chanting eased away. But Veritas had no clue what it meant. And he still had a Dragonstone to recover.

Then, the slow scraping of stone announced a crypt being opened. This Draugr looked much tougher than the previous ones, and he probably was guarding the Dragonstone. He is going to be one tough fetcher to bring down....

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 23 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Dec 22 2011, 09:22 PM) *

Then, the slow scraping of stone announced a crypt being opened. This Draugr looked much tougher than the previous ones, and he probably was guarding the Dragonstone. He is going to be one tough fetcher to bring down....

blink.gif This stands out as one of the game's most memorable moments for me, and you really captured it here!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 23 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Dec 22 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Dinner before returning to Whiterun. Some cold pheasant cooked the day before with some bread and Alto wine. Not a meal for royalty, but it's enough.

I bet he'll be getting new gauntlets as soon as he can. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Dec 22 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Awesome screen!

That helmet looks great on Veritas. It just looks silly on Khajiit and Argonains.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 24 2011, 06:01 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

@Grits: Thank you. I really could not have asked for a better set-up there.

@King Coin: I don't really think that helmet suits him, though. Giant horns don't really speak "Knight" than they do "Berserker." I've since exchanged it for one I feel is a little more 'him.'

Veritas learns of his Dragonborn heritage. Having been sent to help the Guard fight off a Dragon attacking the Eastern Watchtower, Veritas steals the Dragon's power upon its death, and with it, an understanding of the Word he discovered in Bleak Falls Barrow filled his mind. It was a Word of Power, a special word in the Dragon language, one that Veritas could bind his voice with its power and create a Thu'um. This particular Word (Fus) afforded him the ability to shove whoever was in front of him off balance.

Having been called by the Greybeards on his way back, it was approaching time for Veritas to leave Whiterun. But before he would, he wished to find a steady supply of work to keep him busy and help to hone his skills and talents. The Companions felt the best option, for they are warriors of courage and honor.

After demonstrating he knew which end of his blade was which, Veritas was taken on as the newest whelp, running errands for those higher up the ladder of status.

Obviously, Veritas would not be willing to move on without being recognized as a full member, so the time came to prove himself. After a small job, he was tasked to travel with Farkas to Dustman's Cairn to search out a shard of Ysgramor's sacred axe.

Barters were made before leaving. (Hey, guy behind me with the broom, stop checking out the merchandise!)

The adventures through Dustman's Cairn was long and arduous and filled with revelations. One of which was most disturbing to our patron Knight.

Nevertheless, despite the misgivings, Veritas could work those out later. He had a job to finish, his personal feelings on Werewolves could come later.

The trek ended with the discovery of the axe shard and a huge battle between Veritas, Farkas, and a small army of Draugr.

Let us hope this is proof enough Veritas deserves to be called a Companion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 24 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Dec 23 2011, 11:01 PM) *

@King Coin: I don't really think that helmet suits him, though. Giant horns don't really speak "Knight" than they do "Berserker." I've since exchanged it for one I feel is a little more 'him.'

Perhaps not, but he still wears it well though!

I was wondering how he would react to the secret of the Circle. It didn't put him off at all it looks! Will he accept the gift/curse?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 24 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Dec 24 2011, 08:58 AM) *

I was wondering how he would react to the secret of the Circle. It didn't put him off at all it looks! Will he accept the gift/curse?

More due to lack of decent posing than anything else.

You'll see more on it later.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:40 AM