10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starfield, Bethesda Game Studios Upcoming Title
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 27 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I thought we already had a thread for this but I couldn’t find it. Anyway, some supposed screens have “leaked”, which is funny given the timing right after the big Microsoft deal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PmeKGon_Z5M&t=633s

The guys are kinda annoying but the info they present is interesting.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 27 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Microsoft is buying Bethesda???

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 27 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 27 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Yes. Announced about a week or so ago.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 27 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Maybe I should avoid going in the new forums for awhile. I have a feeling they're really messy right now. Then again, the Xbox has garnered some respect over its past generation, especially since MS allows modding now. Still though. I can already hear the furor!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 27 2020, 03:11 PM) *

I was not surprised. I have genuinely been expecting Bethesda to go out of business because of how they have been trying to do too many things at once (which almost drove them out of business once before - but Morrowind saved them at that time). Not to mention doing those things badly (looking at you Fallout 76). I expect selling out to Microsoft was the only way for them to stay around in any shape or form.

Apparently they are buying Obsidian too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 27 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 27 2020, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 27 2020, 03:11 PM) *

I was not surprised. I have genuinely been expecting Bethesda to go out of business because of how they have been trying to do too many things at once (which almost drove them out of business once before - but Morrowind saved them at that time). Not to mention doing those things badly (looking at you Fallout 76). I expect selling out to Microsoft was the only way for them to stay around in any shape or form.

Apparently they are buying Obsidian too.

Yeah they bought obsidian last year.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

My understanding is that Microsoft is going to use the Bethesda games to make buying a new X-Box more attractive. Plus they will probably put it on their Game Pass, which is a subscription service for games. You pay a monthly fee, and you can play any game on the service. So it is Netflix for games. It sounds like a great way to try out games before you buy them. Especially if you play a lot of different games.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 27 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 27 2020, 04:06 PM) *

My understanding is that Microsoft is going to use the Bethesda games to make buying a new X-Box more attractive. Plus they will probably put it on their Game Pass, which is a subscription service for games. You pay a monthly fee, and you can play any game on the service. So it is Netflix for games. It sounds like a great way to try out games before you buy them. Especially if you play a lot of different games.

Oh yeah, that’s what most people are thinking it’s all about, considering the timing of this right before the preorders for the new consoles went live. Also Game Pass sounds kinda cool, though I wonder if I would get my money’s worth out of it. Maybe just do it a couple of months at a time?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 28 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

That really floors me. So all the mistrials and mistakes with 76 is biting Beth in the butt now. And they could be out of business because of this. I do know that before Morrowind, they were in danger of going out of business because they decided to try making Redguard and some other game (more action-y / less freeform type of games) but I had no idea they were about to tank.

I need to finish watching that video. The name of this thread is Starfield and I didn't even make it that far into the video. laugh.gif And I'm curious about Starfield. I am, I am.

First though, I need a drink. I'll be in the next room if anyone needs me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 28 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

At this point I think that 76 and the CC were more likely forced on BGS by Zenimax, in a effort to make the company look more appealing on the market. They probably were trying to inflate their value with intent to sell it off.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 28 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 28 2020, 07:39 AM) *

That really floors me. So all the mistrials and mistakes with 76 is biting Beth in the butt now. And they could be out of business because of this. I do know that before Morrowind, they were in danger of going out of business because they decided to try making Redguard and some other game (more action-y / less freeform type of games) but I had no idea they were about to tank.

I need to finish watching that video. The name of this thread is Starfield and I didn't even make it that far into the video. laugh.gif And I'm curious about Starfield. I am, I am.

First though, I need a drink. I'll be in the next room if anyone needs me.

It’s ok, the Microsoft deal is worth discussing! That said, I don’t think you quite understand the Microsoft buyout. You don’t pay 7.5 Billion dollars to “tank” a company. Beth will still be in business they will simply have to answer to Microsoft. For their part, Microsoft have indicated that they might be pretty “hands off” with Beth as well, which will allow them to just “do their thing”. We’ll find out how true that is. The biggest take away I got from it is that Microsoft wanted Bethesda games exclusive to XBox, so that will make buying the new Xbox more appealing than the new Sony PlayStation. In other words, don’t feel bad for Bethesda, they most likely will benefit tremendously from this.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Sep 28 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

I really don't know where we all are getting this idea that Bethesda is doing poorly financially, getting stagnant, etc. Not trying to get on anyone's case here, but I see this getting propagated all the time when I don't know where people are getting these ideas from. Let's not mistake any of our personal opinions about the games to be representative of what the overall gaming population thinks--or that gaming forums in general are representative of gamers for that matter. Gaming forums also tend to just make stuff up or believe some unverified or flat-out false info because they want to believe it. Well, that last part goes for the Internet as a whole.

Getting bought out doesn't necessarily mean you are doing poorly financially. Sometimes they get bought out specifically because they rake in profit. That's exactly what's happening here. This isn't pre-Morrowind Bethesda, where there actually was the danger of going out of business and their games were selling poorly (which is ironic, given that the MW fanboys claim Oblivion and Skyrim were the ones that "sold out" to appeal to a wider audience). Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Skyrim: Special Edition all made obscene amounts of cash for Bethesda and made them a real household name for gaming. And for all the [censored] that Fallout 76 gets--some deserved, some undeserved--I'm willing to bet that it's been a reasonable success so far. Not like it's series predecessor or Skyrim by any means, but it's gaming forums that are jumping to the conclusion that 76 has been a flop. That's because most of them don't like or even hate the game.

And that's all well and good, even though I like the game but think it has a serious lack of polish (which is why I recommend it only a big sale), but gaming forums really need to stop propagating things because they want to believe in them, or believe their opinions are facts. For example, how is Bethesda becoming stagnant? Fallout 76 was released in 2018 and is still getting content. Even though it is much more so Zenimax, Bethesda has still had a level of involvement in ESO. Fallout 4 was in 2015. Skyrim was in 2011. That's a pretty normal rate of output for them, maybe a little bit slower. People are also really starved for new Bethesda (the main studio) stuff, regardless of their gripes, so that helps make it seem like Bethesda is slowing down. But Bethesda is also not the juggernaut that, say, EA or Ubisoft are, where they can crank out multiple games in a year like it's nothing. They're more of a medium-sized studio, despite being AAA.

Look, I have my issues with Bethesda and Zenimax, too. There's plenty of things I criticize in Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and ESO, even though I have a lot of fun with all of them. No one is above criticism, especially big businesses. And they should be held accountable. But I think people are really taking this too far and spinning stories in their head. Bethesda is doing just fine from a financial standpoint. And that's exactly why Microsoft wanted them and Zenimax.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Sep 28 2020, 03:40 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 28 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay I see what you're saying, RaderOfTheLostArk, and TheCheshireKhajiit. So it's more like they want to get involved in a situation which they see as mutually beneficial. Not necessarily that they're about to go under.

I do hope MS is hands-off. smile.gif Of course, there will be all sorts of cries in the future about how they aren't being hands-off, even if they are.

QUOTE(Kane @ Sep 28 2020, 09:30 AM) *

At this point I think that 76 and the CC were more likely forced on BGS by Zenimax, in a effort to make the company look more appealing on the market. They probably were trying to inflate their value with intent to sell it off.

Interesting. Hmm.

Another thing. Beth themselves did not want to release the next Elder Scrolls until the next gen consoles were out. I saw an interview in which Pete or one of the top management informed this. They didn't feel the last generation (PS4 and Xbox 1) were advanced enough for what they want to see in ES6. Everyone in the new forums were wracking their brains what is going on until I found that interview. I'll have to find that link.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 28 2020, 06:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 7 2021, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

So, anyone think we'll get something about Starfield at E3?

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 7 2021, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Jun 7 2021, 08:49 AM) *

I would be very surprised if we did not discover something about Starfiel at E3. The Starfield planet in XBox's E3 image practically confirms it. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 7 2021, 09:01 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 7 2021, 10:37 AM) *
QUOTE(Kane @ Jun 7 2021, 08:49 AM) *

I would be very surprised if we did not discover something about Starfiel at E3. The Starfield planet in XBox's E3 image practically confirms it. biggrin.gif

Aw yiss.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 13 2021, 06:40 PM
Post #17

Finder
Group Icon

It's official: 11/11/22.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 13 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Whoa... time to look for news, I guess.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 13 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 13 2021, 01:40 PM) *

Not 22/22/22?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Adella
post Jun 13 2021, 10:49 PM
Post #20

Evoker

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 13 2021, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 13 2021, 01:40 PM) *

Not 22/22/22?

laugh.gif

Looks like Bethesda now have a thing about multiples of eleven tongue.gif

At least we can now calculate the release date for TES6

11/11/33 for the main game
with dlc expected 11/11/44

Which will make me…

Dead!
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:18 PM