Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO tips & tricks, Looking for help with ESO? This is the right thread for you!
hazmick
post Sep 26 2016, 03:40 AM
Post #81

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 26 2016, 03:07 AM) *

1. Buffy is high stamina, low magicka. Is she gimping Spike the clannfear due her her relatively low magicka? Magicka makes magicka spells do more damage so is her lower magicka pool hurt his damage or durability?

2. Weapon damage. Any thoughts on which is generally more helpful between +weapon damage, +critical hit chance and +stamina (for stamina-based weapon users)?

Not sure about the first point. Summons go off your level but they might go off magicka too. I'll investigate the next time I'm in the game.

Point 2: Well I'd say that crit chance is pretty handy when you get abilities that heal you on crits, and weapon damage is always good to boost if you can. Stamina is pretty important since it boosts damage, lets you use more abilities, helps you break out of snares etc. I don't think any are more or less helpful, since they're all helpful in different ways.

If you look at some of the end-game gear sets, for example Flanking Strategist and Briarheart, you'll notice that they have a combination of boosts rather than focusing all on one.

This post has been edited by hazmick: Sep 26 2016, 03:42 AM

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 05:24 AM
Post #82

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 25 2016, 09:23 PM) *

So after reading all the discussions about attribute points, Mazul and I decided to focus our points on Stamina for damage and Magicka for the spells she loves to use as Dragonknight, and use enchantments and food/drink buffs for Health.

That means we need to ask Julian (who is working on her enchanting skills) to craft some Health Glyphs for Mazul's new steel armor.

Mazul has asked a question: If she enchants a piece of armor, can she continue to improve it? Or is it done?

You can continue to improve it after enchanting!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 06:05 AM
Post #83

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 25 2016, 10:07 PM) *

Two questions of my own:

1. Buffy is high stamina, low magicka. Is she gimping Spike the clannfear due her her relatively low magicka? Magicka makes magicka spells do more damage so is her lower magicka pool hurt his damage or durability?

2. Weapon damage. Any thoughts on which is generally more helpful between +weapon damage, +critical hit chance and +stamina (for stamina-based weapon users)?

I am interested in the answers to these Weapon Damage questions as well if anyone knows.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 06:49 AM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 25 2016, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 26 2016, 03:07 AM) *

Not sure about the first point. Summons go off your level but they might go off magicka too. I'll investigate the next time I'm in the game.

Point 2: Well I'd say that crit chance is pretty handy when you get abilities that heal you on crits, and weapon damage is always good to boost if you can. Stamina is pretty important since it boosts damage, lets you use more abilities, helps you break out of snares etc. I don't think any are more or less helpful, since they're all helpful in different ways.

If you look at some of the end-game gear sets, for example Flanking Strategist and Briarheart, you'll notice that they have a combination of boosts rather than focusing all on one.

I've been torn on which is better for a Mundus Stone choice between Shadow (Increases Critical Strike damage by 12%) and Thief (Increases Critical Strike chance by 11%).

I keep falling back on the Shadow because I can feel a loss in power when I go to the Thief; but everyone says being able to get the critical hits in more often is better and just increase your crit damage in some other way (like enchanted jewelry, etc).

Which would you prefer between the two, and why? (if you have ever thought about the two, and wouldn't mind my asking?)

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 26 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #85

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 26 2016, 06:49 AM) *

I've been torn on which is better for a Mundus Stone choice between Shadow (Increases Critical Strike damage by 12%) and Thief (Increases Critical Strike chance by 11%).

I keep falling back on the Shadow because I can feel a loss in power when I go to the Thief; but everyone says being able to get the critical hits in more often is better and just increase your crit damage in some other way (like enchanted jewelry, etc).

Which would you prefer between the two, and why? (if you have ever thought about the two, and wouldn't mind my asking?)

It all depends on what bonuses you already have. If you have a gear set that gives you more crit chance then you'd take the crit damage stone and vice versa. If I had to choose between chance and damage I'd probably go for damage since attacks like Volley almost guarantee a critical hit (and the healing that comes with it). A class with fewer/slower attacks might benefit more from crit chance.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 26 2016, 01:10 PM
Post #86

Councilor
Group Icon

Two questions of my own:

1. Regarding magicka and clannfear damage/sustainability, I can't tell. Darnand (mag-sorc) keeps his healed so he won't have to re-cast, and my stam-Sorc keeps his healed because he is using the heal for himself. Neither of their clannfears seems to do much damage, but they are very useful little tanks. wub.gif For context, both of these characters are adventuring in areas above their level, so it may just be that their clannfears are too under-leveled for me to notice a difference in their damage output. I'm curious about this, too.

2. I think that working out the balance here for mostly solo PvE play depends not only on your build but how you specifically play it. For example, Jerric needs a big stamina bank and fast stamina recovery for all of the roll dodge (for damage and crowd control) and shield bashing that he does, while another player with the same bar might get more from criticals. The best thing to do is what you are doing, pay close attention and experiment while Buffy is leveling, and when she gets her favorite skills together look at her as a whole including passives, traits, standing stones, the works for balance. Once she hits level 50 she will be able to use her Champion Points to fill in as well. Potions can play a big role here, too, and give you flexibility going into different situations.

When you find discussions online make sure that they are not only up-to-date but also that the context is relevant to what you are doing. PvP and end-game group content builds are going to answer different needs than the solo PvE player's. Also a person who plays with a lot of players around or with a group will have a vastly different experience from someone who clears dungeons alone due to playing mostly at off times

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #87

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions, folks.

I must say that Buffy is rather addicted to stamina and actually share's Jerric's need for a large stam pool. She has transformed since Ob/Sky from a rather immobile sniper into a very capable medium range nimble bow dancer. She can literally circle foes with death by shoot, dodge-roll, shoot, dodge-roll, shoot... and her stam pool means she can keep this up all day. So after reading the responses and thinking about it, stam gives her several advantages (including more damage) so I think she'll tend to somewhat favor that approach.

Regarding the magnificent savior that Buffy calls Spike, he has never killed much from the beginning and that has not changed. But by Akatosh he is one tough little tank as Grits pointed out. Buffy has the morph to heal him & her but mostly uses it for her. Spike doesn't survive every big fight but he certainly comes through most of them, allowing Buffy to do her job. So I think my concern is his durability as Buffy keeps leveling. She is currently L41 and Spike is doing as well as ever. He's been knocked on his tail by daedroth and an instant later is right back in their face doing his job. wub.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 26 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #88

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 26 2016, 01:10 PM) *

When you find discussions online make sure that they are not only up-to-date but also that the context is relevant to what you are doing.

This is super important. Any information pre-2016 is way out of date, and the game has changed a lot since then. I saw a thread yesterday from 2014 that was talking about how terrible stamina builds are!

Acadian - I had Haa-Rei test out the Clannfear with and without magicka attributes. The only thing that changes is the Clannfear's attack damage. Healing stays the same. The Clannfear's health scales off your character's level, not magicka attribute.

Without any attribute points in magicka the Clannfear does 305 + 30% damage.

With 64 attribute points in magicka the Clannfear does 579 + 30% damage.

This post has been edited by hazmick: Sep 26 2016, 05:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 26 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #89

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 26 2016, 07:33 AM) *

Regarding the magnificent savior that Buffy calls Spike, he has never killed much from the beginning and that has not changed. But by Akatosh he is one tough little tank as Grits pointed out. Buffy has the morph to heal him & her but mostly uses it for her. Spike doesn't survive every big fight but he certainly comes through most of them, allowing Buffy to do her job. So I think my concern is his durability as Buffy keeps leveling. She is currently L41 and Spike is doing as well as ever. He's been knocked on his tail by daedroth and an instant later is right back in their face doing his job. wub.gif

That's what I've observed, too, watching other players to get ideas.

What Julian and Mazul have found is it's best to get the first strike in, and to keep moving. Watch for the power attacks from the other guys and move out of the red zone. Julian spams her Siphon at these times, and Mazul sets up for the power attack with her greatsword (aka claymore). Oh, and if we encounter an enemy who uses those summonable Totems, we attack the Totem first. A couple of blows usually demolishes it and makes the enemy (all bosses, so far) significantly weaker. Then we hammer at them with Funnel Health (Julian) or Obsidian Fist (Mazul) until they're stunned or paralyzed, then use our weapons in a power attack.

Mazul is focusing on collecting items/armor that up her Health points. Before the last few boss fights, she's taken the time to down a few food/drink items to boost her health and magicka. It seems to be working well for her at this point.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #90

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks! I'll take that as good news since his primary function is to tank, not kill. That his health is not related to magicka is great then. The small advantage to his damage is a minor thing to file away if I ever do a magicka sorc (staves).

Thanks very much!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #91

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 26 2016, 02:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 26 2016, 06:49 AM) *

It all depends on what bonuses you already have. If you have a gear set that gives you more crit chance then you'd take the crit damage stone and vice versa. If I had to choose between chance and damage I'd probably go for damage since attacks like Volley almost guarantee a critical hit (and the healing that comes with it). A class with fewer/slower attacks might benefit more from crit chance.

Oh, now that makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #92

Ancient
Group Icon

Two questions of my own:

According to this discussion on Reddit, it is possible (since the summons is based on magicka and not stamina) but you can enchant a ring or necklace with spell power to balance it out. Did I not make you one already? Or was that weapon power?

Anyway, the jewelry should be leveled up when you level up your armor; so your enchantment can be brought up to the proper level for your use.

Here is a link to the discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline...pets_scale_off/

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 26 2016, 08:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #93

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 26 2016, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 26 2016, 01:10 PM) *

When you find discussions online make sure that they are not only up-to-date but also that the context is relevant to what you are doing.

This is super important. Any information pre-2016 is way out of date, and the game has changed a lot since then. I saw a thread yesterday from 2014 that was talking about how terrible stamina builds are!

Acadian - I had Haa-Rei test out the Clannfear with and without magicka attributes. The only thing that changes is the Clannfear's attack damage. Healing stays the same. The Clannfear's health scales off your character's level, not magicka attribute.

Without any attribute points in magicka the Clannfear does 305 + 30% damage.

With 64 attribute points in magicka the Clannfear does 579 + 30% damage.

Yeah!!! Finally a definitive answer! Thanks, Hazmick !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 26 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #94

Councilor
Group Icon

hazmick, thank you very much for checking that out!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 2 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #95

Paladin
Group Icon

More newb questions. . . enchantments and such that increase weapon damage vs increase spell damage.

It seems pretty clear that stamina-based weapons gain from +weapon damage and magicka-based spells gain from +spell damage. Even a blond elf gets that. tongue.gif

Which boosts-stamina based-spells/abilities like Hurricane?
Which boosts-magicka based weapons (staves)?

Whatever logic is at work, I assume it would carry over to +weapon crit and +spell crit. I guess.

Edit:
Gosh, hazmick, your screen of the month is so cool (pun intended). I love that Nord in the wolven headress – it looks so very much like it belongs right there in Skyrim! happy.gif

Grits, your screen of the month is great as well. It seems odd to not see Jerric fishing. Buffy doesn’t fish but when she encounters worms, guts and other things that remind her of Jerric – oh, wait, that didn’t sound right – she can’t help but pick them up in the hope that someday she’ll be able to gift him with a barrel full of assorted bait. laugh.gif I guess some farmer was clever enough to beer-entice Jerric to turn his swords into plowshares for a time?

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 2 2016, 10:20 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 2 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #96

Master
Group Icon

I have a newb question of my own: regarding the riding lessons.

I've already seen how buying storage lessons increase one's own stamina. But do the speed and stamina lessons do the same for the player? Or do they only affect the horse so that it is more durable, faster, etc?

The reason I ask is because Blanco just got a set of saddlebags!

Oh, and Lvl 24 (almost 25 now) Julian is at Lvl 30 in her Provisioning skill. She is so damn good she makes me hungry whenever we stop at a cooking fire. Yummy!

Mazul is taking a break while Julian gets started in Rivenspire. For now, I think Mazul wants to level up in Glenumbra with enemies she knows, before taking on any more Supernal Dreamers in Stormhaven. She did find out that Dremora Churls are easy meat for her - badda bing, badda boom, BAM! (the last bit said a lá Emeril) But the mortals themselves are harder.

If I recall correctly, Julian had to do the same thing, too, when she first entered Stormhaven.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 2 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #97

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 2 2016, 02:38 PM) *

I've already seen how buying storage lessons increase one's own stamina. ...

Forgive me, but I suspect a boo boo that might cause confusion? Did you mean inventory space instead of stamina perhaps?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 3 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #98

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

Forgive me, but I suspect a boo boo that might cause confusion? Did you mean inventory space instead of stamina perhaps?

So I did! Whups!

And another question: Do effects stack if you eat/drink more than one food/beverage? In other words, do they add up?

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Oct 3 2016, 12:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 3 2016, 01:11 AM
Post #99

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 2 2016, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

So I did! Whups!

And another question: Do effects stack if you eat/drink more than one food/beverage? In other words, do they add up?

Drinks do not stack. If you drink one after another, the second cancels out the first's effects.

Not sure on the food, but - check the effects of two different effect foods and eat one of each; then hit "C" and scroll to the bottom to see your active effects. That will give you your answer.

On the saddle bags, your horse gains different armors depending on what you sink your gold into training him for.

Adding to carry capacity adds saddlebags after 20 training sessions. The character gets the benefit of that because you can't go in and out of your horse to store items since they disappear when you dismount.

If you train for stamina, after 20 "training sessions" the armor the horse gets is a metal faceplate (which, like your helmet you can hide when you see how hideous your pretty horse looks in it). The stamina gives your horse extra hit points, so if an enemy strikes the horse and you try to flee instead of dismounting = the horse can take more hits than just one before rearing up and dumping you off. I think right now my horse can take 5-6 hefty hits before dumping me off and heading for the stables; so a good portion of the time I can flee a fight while riding cross-country.

Training for Speed gives your horse a fancy armor over his rump after 20 "training sessions" (under the saddlebags) - the horse moves noticeably faster. It does not effect the Player character's speed.

To increase your speed, I would guess Stamina enchantments. If you go to Cyrodiil you can spend one skill point in "Rapid Maneuver" and cast a spell to move faster if escaping.

Here is a screen of a horse with all three "armor" upgrades from the training:

IPB Image

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 2 2016, 05:13 PM) *

More newb questions. . . enchantments and such that increase weapon damage vs increase spell damage.

It seems pretty clear that stamina-based weapons gain from +weapon damage and magicka-based spells gain from +spell damage. Even a blond elf gets that. tongue.gif

Which boosts-stamina based-spells/abilities like Hurricane?
Which boosts-magicka based weapons (staves)?

Whatever logic is at work, I assume it would carry over to +weapon crit and +spell crit. I guess.

I think you are right, that the "Weapon Damage" enchantment helps stamina based spells; and the "Increase Spell Damage" enchantment effects magic based spells. (my guess).

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 3 2016, 01:09 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 3 2016, 01:13 AM
Post #100

Mouth
Group Icon

Acadian - Yep, just double checked on the wiki - spell damage affects magicka based weapons and abilities, weapon damage affects stamina based stuff.

Haute - Speed and stamina upgrades only affect the mounts for the character that bought the upgrades. They don't affect the character or the mounts of other characters.

I'm 99% sure that food and drink effects don't stack.

This post has been edited by hazmick: Oct 3 2016, 01:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:45 PM