Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impression, It's.... pretty
Renee
post Mar 26 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vital @ Mar 26 2014, 07:58 AM) *

Also, Renee. I don't think many people really wanted an elder scrolls MMO.

You aren't a member of Beth's forums, my friend. wink.gif Over and over the threads would pop up: When will Bethesda make an MMO? ... so many of these threads the mods had to lock them up over and over. Beth definitely say the dollar signs before them.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 26 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #22

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 26 2014, 01:07 PM) *

So everyone's in agreement in wishing for a single player version of ESO? laugh.gif wink.gif

-Aye!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 26 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

So it's not possible to make a 'private' party? .. Guess that's a dumb question but I don't know much about MMORPGs. The game simply dumps everybody into one giant server, and it's not possible to eliminate the crowd? It would be really cool if we could invite only people in our circle of friends and that's all.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Mar 26 2014, 01:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 26 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 26 2014, 08:07 AM) *

So everyone's in agreement in wishing for a single player version of ESO? laugh.gif wink.gif

I think Vital got it. The people asked for a two-player co-operative game to play with a friend and they heard it as "millions of hostile strangers".

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 26 2014, 03:28 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Indeed, this is my fondest wish for ESO! laugh.gif My first question knowing nothing about MMOs was, “Will there be a single player mode?”

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 26 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Mar 26 2014, 10:28 AM) *

Indeed, this is my fondest wish for ESO! laugh.gif My first question knowing nothing about MMOs was, “Will there be a single player mode?”

I think most MMOs would be vastly improved by making them single player games... wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 26 2014, 11:49 PM
Post #27

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Mar 26 2014, 05:49 AM) *

OH my gosh. blink.gif What the hell?

I can remember playing Everquest long ago; although the issues I had with that game aren't similar to the ones in this thread so far, I too found myself rolling my eyes at all the other player characters crowding out the quests I managed to find. I remember hooking up with a group of other PCs, getting really excited, only to find this horde would RUN everywhere at full speed. I had to run to keep up with them, and for this reason, immersion was out the door. There were some good things about EQ too, but overall I couldn't get into it.

Well. I mean, people begged and begged Bethesda (or Zenimax, in this case) to make an MMO; now they've got their wish. *shrugs*

This is known, derivatively, as zerg mentality. It was named after the ever popular Zerg-rush tactic in Starcraft.

Basically, it's a very large group of players taking the path of least resistance to both minimize time spent and maximize reward income. The simple idea of the best way to get things done quickly is to throw as many players as the game will allow at it. It works, but it also pretty much means you are no longer playing a game.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 27 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

Interesting. Zerg mentality. I"ve got a friend who loves Starcraft (like, it's just about the only vid game he plays) I'll have to call him a Zerg next time talk to him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 30 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #29

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 26 2014, 12:40 PM) *

I think Vital got it. The people asked for a two-player co-operative game to play with a friend and they heard it as "millions of hostile strangers".

I pretty much agree. There were lots of requests for multiplayer but from what I was seeing when I constantly frequented Bethsoft's forum, most of them were "why can't I play coop with a few other people?".

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Mar 30 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #30

Senor Snore
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 26 2014, 03:45 AM) *

1. You find the boss room has no boss, just a horde of players waiting for it to respawn. When it does, it dies in two seconds, you only got one or two hits in.

2. five seconds after entering, your objective updates. The boss died and updated your quest. You were never even there.

To be fair, that is probably not true for ESO. At least not in all cases. If it's one of those quests where you have to slaughter a $random creature at range, you may get that situation. Other than that, ESO seems to have something I haven't seen in the one other MMO I played: certain quest NPCs and monsters seem to be "local" to you. I've interacted with NPCs that were out there, in broad daylight, but then they were following me around and it seemed like none of the other players could see that because for them, the NPC still was someplace else. Also, there were quests to put fires out in a village and after I put them out, they stayed out. It seemed like other players were still extinguishing their own, private fires. So I'm not entirely sure how bosses are handled. It's quite possible they're player or for that matter group specific.

That's actually one aspect I really liked about ESO. In the unnamed other MMO I played, it always seemed like your actions never had a lasting effect. You blew up something, and a minute later it's there again, unsynched and unharmed. As if nothing happened. You probably will never experience that in ESO.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:43 PM