Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 7
Black Hand
post Sep 25 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #61

Master
Group Icon

Uh....sorry?

Regardless, another excellent update Trey.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 25 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

Uh....sorry?

Haha! Nice reaction Black.

And though short, it was a nice update, Trey. Logical fight, and very interesting that the Hand decided to impale himself. But I guess that seems to be the best thing to do when you're being peppered by arrows by someone you can't reach.

I look forward to seeing Almalexia's reaction upon Trey's return.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Sep 25 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #63

Knower
Group Icon

I always found it odd that enemies would simply stand and absorb arrows from the player. Perhaps it makes more sense in this case, as it seems that Salas had no real desire to avoid death. Interesting that he should choose to impale himself: it screams samurai. Death with honor in the face of certain defeat. Thanks for another intriguing installment.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 25 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #64

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mplantinga @ Sep 25 2006, 03:19 PM) *

I always found it odd that enemies would simply stand and absorb arrows from the player. Perhaps it makes more sense in this case, as it seems that Salas had no real desire to avoid death. Interesting that he should choose to impale himself: it screams samurai. Death with honor in the face of certain defeat. Thanks for another intriguing installment.

He seemed to be heading in that direction from his remarks- so I wrote a better ending for him. Although I generally think of the priests and Hands as reprehensible, or at least wilfully ignorant (at least the ones devoted to Almalexia)- he had the courage to break away from her once he saw what she really was. In a way, Valor is akin to Umbra- ready for death, yet unwilling to die in a "dishonorable" way.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
minque
post Sep 25 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #65

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh my gosh...For me this was new and unexperienced...I don´t know if I´ll send poor Serene over there, she might be better off wher she is. Besides..she can always talk to Trey about it.

As always a most intriguing and interesting update....So even if I´ll soon be in US I´ll ceertainly try to get hold of a darn comp somewheree just to catch up with my favourite author(s)

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Sep 25 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

Very nice job Trey, and an interesting end for Salas.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 8 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

When I dropped down from the roof to examine Salas Valor’s body, I found a mystery, but one that I believed I understood. Besides his ornate Hand of Almalexia armor and scimitar, he had been in possession of a dozen deadly missiles. He could have thrown the barbed darts at me at any time, yet he had chosen death instead. Even before I touched them, I could see that the darts were imbued with powerful enchantments. When I ventured to “taste” the magicka on them, I knew without a doubt that they had been bespelled by Almalexia herself. I surmised that although Valor could not bring himself to throw them away, he could not bear to use them, either. It was the same internal conflict that had caused him to leave Almalexia, but kept him in her city. Given that emotional state it was no wonder that he had sought the peace that comes with an honorable death in combat. Although his arms and armor were mine by right of victory, I left them upon his body. Thief though I was, there were some things I would not take. In part, it was because he deserved at least that much honor. But even more was the fact that I had no wish to possess anything that was so deeply tainted with the aura of Almalexia. I had a feeling that none of Mournhold’s scavengers would be foolish enough to despoil the corpse, either. And even if they did take his gear, what merchant would buy it? Not even Ten-Tongues would dare.

I was actually rather interested in seeing Almalexia’s reaction to my survival. Though I doubted her divinity as well as her sanity, she was probably shrewd enough to have calculated my chances of surviving an “honorable” battle with her former guard. I expected her to be surprised and perhaps a bit saddened, not that I was terribly concerned for her “delicate feelings.” Although her face was as unreadable as ever, her words seemed fitting- at least at first:

“Salas Valor is dead? The pain is almost more than I can bear...”

But her “pain” must have been fairly fleeting, as she had the unbelievable bad taste to add,

“…but you have served me faithfully, and it is in my mind to grant you a divine blessing. Would you like skin as tough as iron? Would you like my protection against paralyzing terror? Or would you wish to always bask in the warm comfort of my reflected glory? Quick, now! Choose! You must not keep your Deity waiting!”

Again, her mortality was showing- if she had been a true deity, she would have known how little I desired any “gift” she could provide. I once more felt that strange resonance with poor, mad Salas, who had embraced death rather than use one of Almalexia’s poisoned gifts. Knowing that I walked on the edge of a precipice, I politely refused, saying,

“Nothing at this time, thank you.”

She gave me a penetrating gaze and spoke softly,

“Perhaps you think yourself too proud to accept the gifts of your Mistress? Very well. It shall be as you wish.”

Her gaze seemed to turn inward for a moment, as if she was conversing with a voice that only she could hear. The silence stretched and then she gave me a strange look and seemed to be attempting to smile coyly, almost as if she was….flirting? Just when I believed things could not become more bizarre, Almalexia managed to surprised me. Speaking quietly, she announced,

“And now it is time we talked of greater things. I have watched you since your arrival in Vvardenfell, and you have become a strong and faithful servant to me. None but the Nerevarine could have succeeded as you have. How long I have waited for this! My Nerevar, returned to me at last! I have watched from my Temple as others have made the claim and I have seen them fall. I believe now that you are the one who was prophesied. I believe you now to be the Nerevarine. Though I have watched others come and go, my belief is that you are the child of prophecy. The time has come for you to reclaim your station. Together we can unite Morrowind once again, free from the Imperial yoke.”

Apparently mistaking my stunned silence for rapt interest, she warmed to her theme-

“For years, the Chimer and the Dwemer had been at war. The Dwemer spurned the Daedra that the Chimer worshipped, instead placing their faith in their metal creations. It was only when the Nords invaded Resdayn that the two nations were able to join as one, under the leadership of our Nerevar and the Dwarf-King Dumac. In time, the two generals became blood friends, and on the day that Nerevar and I were wed, Dumac presented us with twin blades, Hopesfire and Trueflame. Each was a magnificent blade, the pinnacle of Dwemer craftsmanship. They burned with an unearthly fire, and the sight of them struck fear into our enemies. My blade has been kept safe, but not so Trueflame, the Blade of Nerevar. It was lost at the battle of Red Mountain.”

She sighed and shook her head sadly, as if watching events and people that had been dust for many centuries. Then she resumed her story.

“The Blade of Nerevar. In the battle beneath Red Mountain, Trueflame was shattered, the flame extinguished, and in the confusion, the pieces lost. It is time for you, Nerevarine, to remake the blade and take your place by my side once again. I have only one part of the blade, which I now give to you. Through my magic, I have been able to determine that the other pieces are nearby. Find the other two pieces and forge the blade anew. Only you may accomplish this, Nerevarine. Look to those in the city that you know and trust for guidance. Find those who would have use for items such as this. Prove your mettle to me, Nerevarine, and soon we will stand together once again!”

With her final words, she ceremoniously presented me with a curved piece of metal, clearly a fragment of a blade. Not knowing what else to do, I took the thing and fled. My horror and disgust nearly choked me. It had been bad enough when Almalexia was using me as her hired help- now she wanted me to become her “husband.” This nonsense had to stop and stop soon, or else I was going to blurt out what I really thought of the “goddess.” Worse than that, the ash storm continued unabated and she seemed not to care. I had to take a stand against Almalexia, but I could not stand alone. There was only one person in all of Mournhold who might have a chance in such a monumental confrontation. I had no choice- I had to take my knowledge and my suspicions to Helseth.

Here Ends Chapter 7

--------------------

+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Oct 8 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #68

Master
Group Icon

Aww, what, Trey doesn't want to be an insane "goddess's" husband? Great end to chapter 7 Trey, I can't wait for more.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
canis216
post Oct 9 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #69

Knower
Group Icon

It must be bad if she's driven Trey to Helseth...

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Oct 9 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #70

Master
Group Icon

I dunno. I might be flirtive back when my story reaches this point, but thats not for a loooong time.

Excellent work Trey, my dog!
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 9 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #71

Master
Group Icon

Another excellent conclusion to an excellent chapter which is part of an excellent fan fic. Phew, that was a mouthful! tongue.gif

I wouldn't dare wish to be the husband of Almalexia, but I would still forge the blade. Trueflame is quite an amazing sword...

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Oct 10 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #72

Knower
Group Icon

An amazing end to the 7th chapter. The part that I found most shocking was Trey's decision to seek Helseth's help. His entire time in Mournhold has been overshadowed by the powerplays between the throne and the temple, and both have tried to kill him too many times. I hope he knows what he is doing.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 11 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #73

Master
Group Icon

SNIP
[quote name='mplantinga' date='Oct 10 2006, 05:33 PM' post='88756']
I hope he knows what he is doing.
/quote]

That would be a first.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Oct 11 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #74

Knower
Group Icon

Well, he does usually manage to make things work out. On top of that, it begins to be clear that Helseth is probably the more sane of the two great powers in Mournhold. I realize that doesn't say very much....
+Quote Post
minque
post Oct 15 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #75

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Uhhhh......so that´s what she wants? Hah.....old Lexie surely is one of a kind! But who knows, maybe the two of them could be "the couple of their time!"

No no....that fate isn´t what I´d wish for my favourite hero, let´s hope he´ll get out of it ok! Anyway a grande final to chapter 7, and since I´ve noticed chapter 8 is up and running I´ll immediately continue reading!

A great hug to treydog!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 8 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #76

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Trey and Blackie on Chapter 6)
"Beggar's Nose rocks like a good 'un!!...And discussion on birthsigns..."

Fair dues...That's quite the epic spell...And yet another demonstration of Bethesda taking spells away for no real discernible reason...

Soooo, in 200 years we lose all the open locks, carry weight etc?...And the entire of the Mysticism tree?...Go forth... dry.gif ...

Anyways, end of chapter 6!! Cliffie!!...Beginning of chapter 7!! Waking up in the shower with Bobby Ewing!!...

Well, not quite...But that did give me a hell of a shocker, I tell ya... laugh.gif ...

Brilliant stuff...

Love it!!...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:39 AM