9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim CK Experimenting, Post Your CK Fun Here:
ghastley
post Nov 26 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #81

Councilor
Group Icon

The cockswain, or coxswain, or coxon, is in charge of steering the ship/boat. On a major vessel, would be the navigator, rather than just helmsman. The boatswain, or bosun, really does manage the boat and crew.

Posted a few pictures of the crew so far in the screenshots thread.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 26 2014, 08:37 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 5 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #82

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 26 2014, 02:36 PM) *

The cockswain, or coxswain, or coxon, is in charge of steering the ship/boat. On a major vessel, would be the navigator, rather than just helmsman. The boatswain, or bosun, really does manage the boat and crew.

Posted a few pictures of the crew so far in the screenshots thread.

This is amazing! And actually I probably wasn't far off in what I pictured in my mind at the title: (a man holding his sextant in his hand), lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 5 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #83

Councilor
Group Icon

Dang! Now you've got me wanting a navigational instrument as a static, and trying to decide if a sextant is too modern, and it should be an astrolabe or a backstaff. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 5 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 5 2014, 11:54 AM) *

Dang! Now you've got me wanting a navigational instrument as a static, and trying to decide if a sextant is too modern, and it should be an astrolabe or a backstaff. blink.gif

Rudimentary sextants were used in very ancient times, but I'd have to research it to know when the first recorded use was.

Here is one Christopher Columbus used when he was seeking the new land (1492):

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~helios/Mestre/Novemb00/H61_f03.JPG

The Arab sextant (kamal) has been dated back well over a thousand years:

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~helios/Mestre/Novemb00/H61_f01.JPG

Here is something that is dated from the 1700's (believe it or not) that looks Skyrimish:

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~helios/Mestre/Novemb00/H61_f08.JPG

The astrolobe was dated in the 1700's, I think the sextant predates it - but to be honest, I think it looks Awesome and would fit into the game setting really well!

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~helios/Mestre/Novemb00/H61_f02.JPG

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 5 2014, 06:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 5 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #85

Councilor
Group Icon

When I use the word sextant, I'm referring to the split-mirror device in place of an alidade. Some sextants are actually octants.

Quadrants and other devices using direct sighting are older, and are named for the fraction of a circle they use. So there are quintants as well as older sextants that don't have the mirrors. (The mirror mechanism multiplies the accuracy a lot, and also cuts out a lot of the effects of the moving ship.)

The third one is a Davis backstaff, and is pointed in the opposite direction to all the others to use shadows. Only usable for getting the height of the sun, as other shadows are a bit weak. Sextants and astrolabes can work at night with known stars. There's an older and simpler version with only one arc that may be the best choice.

FWIW, the marine astrolabe is a skeletal one, and the regular one uses plates. The wind on the plate ones made them unusable at sea, except when it was dead calm, you weren't moving, and you didn't need to navigate! They were used by astronomers measuring star angles, rather than sailors checking the sun. I'd be surprised if that filled-in quadrant was actually used at sea. They're normally open frames, too, for maritime use.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 5 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #86

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 5 2014, 12:59 PM) *

When I use the word sextant, I'm referring to the split-mirror device in place of an alidade. Some sextants are actually octants.

Quadrants and other devices using direct sighting are older, and are named for the fraction of a circle they use. So there are quintants as well as older sextants that don't have the mirrors. (The mirror mechanism multiplies the accuracy a lot, and also cuts out a lot of the effects of the moving ship.)

The third one is a Davis backstaff, and is pointed in the opposite direction to all the others to use shadows. Only usable for getting the height of the sun, as other shadows are a bit weak. Sextants and astrolabes can work at night with known stars. There's an older and simpler version with only one arc that may be the best choice.

FWIW, the marine astrolabe is a skeletal one, and the regular one uses plates. The wind on the plate ones made them unusable at sea, except when it was dead calm, you weren't moving, and you didn't need to navigate! They were used by astronomers measuring star angles, rather than sailors checking the sun. I'd be surprised if that filled-in quadrant was actually used at sea. They're normally open frames, too, for maritime use.

Well, none of them look phallic, which is what I was picturing, rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 5 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #87

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh my gosh, as a result of this morning’s Nifscope adventure, Ulfe is no longer glowing pink! It was a mesh issue, apparently.

Before (and blaming it on purple mountain flower flea shampoo).

Now.

Yay! Next up: a skeever pet for Darnand, whether he wants one or not. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 5 2014, 07:52 PM
Post #88

Paladin
Group Icon

Yay for Ulfe! goodjob.gif

Poor Darnand. Wanted a Daedroth, got a Skeever. laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 5 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #89

Ancient
Group Icon

Ulfe does look much better non-pink. Those teeth make me think of the snow monster from that old Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie though!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 5 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #90

Councilor
Group Icon

That's from the glow dust in her tooth paste. whistling.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 6 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #91

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Ghastley - he could be holding a spyglass in his hand - like this Dwemer resource from Insanity Sorrow:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Ma...zpsfaaca7d1.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Ma...zpsdb3cb704.jpg

(Permissions as per the Read Me: You may use this as you wish as long as you don't charge money for it and you credit me for any work used. Please do not re-host this file without my explicit permission).

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 6 2014, 08:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 29 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #92

Councilor
Group Icon

So I made my first bookshelf, or more accurately my first shelf for books. When I checked it in game I had just enough time to notice that the books were all upside-down before they exploded everywhere. Then the shelf ate fourteen of them.

Let’s try this again! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 5 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #93

Councilor
Group Icon

Here’s a picture of the library/study I’m making for Lakeview Manor’s armory wing space. I’m still finishing the bookshelves and deciding on rugs before possibly destroying it all while NavMeshing. Valdi stopped by with Serana and Erik to check out the progress. In Valdi’s world Lakeview belongs to KC’s Aravi and Kharjo, so it was neat when the two of them came in and sat down at the desks. With all of those NPCs roaming around there is a real shortage of chairs at mealtimes!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 5 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #94

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 5 2015, 10:39 AM) *

Here’s a picture of the library/study I’m making for Lakeview Manor’s armory wing space. I’m still finishing the bookshelves and deciding on rugs before possibly destroying it all while NavMeshing. Valdi stopped by with Serana and Erik to check out the progress. In Valdi’s world Lakeview belongs to KC’s Aravi and Kharjo, so it was neat when the two of them came in and sat down at the desks. With all of those NPCs roaming around there is a real shortage of chairs at mealtimes!

Wait, if Lakeview is a vanilla DLC house, why isn't Bethesda automatically doing the navmesh since they know exactly where the house will sit?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 5 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

It’s the interior NavMesh that I need to adjust around my furniture. In the CK all three wing interiors show at the same time overlapping each other, so I have to go through and hide everything piece by piece so I can see my work. I haven’t even looked at the NavMesh yet. If all three lie on top of each other I don’t know what I’m going to do so that I can see what I’m supposed to change in the vanilla armory wing mesh. The vanilla one is in place which is how NPCs can get in there already, but they try to walk over the furniture I’ve placed in there. Modding the Hearthfire houses is a huge pain. I hope there’s an easy trick that I’m just missing. Maybe I can somehow hide the two meshes I don’t need all at once.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 5 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #96

Councilor
Group Icon

The navmeshes in the Hearthfire houses are built with the room empty. Each piece of furniture is enabled in combination with a collision box of type L_NAVCUT that amends the navmesh to exclude the space it now occupies. So you don't need to change the navmesh itself, just add the collision boxes.

Is this changed furnishing a "build-it-yourself" thing, or an all-at-one change when you add the mod? If it's the latter you can use simpler collision boxes that span a whole row of bookshelves.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 5 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #97

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh. My. Goodness. L_NAVCUT (I’m guessing in the Primitives tab, I’m going to look right now) is fantastic news!! I’ve been wondering if there was a better way to deal with this, and I even tried placing collision boxes in my practice mod exterior, but the NPCs kept walking into the cart because I didn’t have the L_NAVCUT layer!! Woo!! You have made my entire week, ghastley, and it’s been a pretty good one. biggrin.gif

I am restraining myself with great effort from launching a thousand questions that I should investigate myself, but I have to ask… does this magic or something similar work in exteriors, too?!

This is definitely not a “build-it-yourself” thing, since I am a complete beginner and just tackling one new thing at a time. The library furnishings pop into the void when the interior gets built, so they will be in the way unless the player builds the correct wing (armory) and does not furnish it with the workbench. I took a trip through the wall in a test game and checked out all of the floating stuff. Of course the exterior stuff for the porch should still be built with the workbench. I’m afraid to touch any of that. So yes, I can just do a long one for the wall of shelves. Yay!! I have a daily blinding headache from working on this mod with all of the clutter moving around on the screen.

Somewhat related, I had convinced myself that somehow I had glitched all bookshelves by building some since in Breezehome all of the books are askew on the low shelf when Lil enters. Then I saw Ulfe fall from the loft and land all over it, creating a huge mess. So I guess since I made Ulfe it’s still my fault. laugh.gif But I’m going to check the Breezehome mod I’m using in case he did something to that bookshelf. I didn’t think that was supposed to happen with all of the collision boxes on the shelves. Also I’m making a dog bed for Ulfe outside!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 5 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #98

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, it works in the exterior, too. The Orc Stronghold is using a lot of those. The big problem I have there is that there are only rectangular boxes and spheres as primitives, and no crescent-shapes like i need! tongue.gif

The bookshelf tutorial on the CK wiki (careful, there are two, and only one is any good!) covers adding a collision box to protect the books from being knocked off the shelves. It also explains how to avoid the issues of removing a book by reading it and taking it, and not updating the shelf.

Creating a player-built bookshelf means placing all the pieces, and then linking them all to an enable parent, which gets very laborious because of the sheer number of components involved - one per book, plus a couple of activators, and collision boxes. I think there's a pre-fab that helps placement, but the enable parent can't be bypassed. If you miss one item, it can be really hard to track down, as most are invisible in-game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #99

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 5 2015, 11:55 AM) *

The navmeshes in the Hearthfire houses are built with the room empty. Each piece of furniture is enabled in combination with a collision box of type L_NAVCUT that amends the navmesh to exclude the space it now occupies. So you don't need to change the navmesh itself, just add the collision boxes.

Is this changed furnishing a "build-it-yourself" thing, or an all-at-one change when you add the mod? If it's the latter you can use simpler collision boxes that span a whole row of bookshelves.

OMG, you may just be a lifesaver! I might need a tutorial on how to do this! Thank you so much Ghastley!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 8 2015, 03:08 AM
Post #100

Councilor
Group Icon

Hólmfríður, (Hofi for short) is the character who ignored my Orc Hearthfires testing, and went off and became Archmage instead. She didn't like the robes she got -"It messes up my hair" - and still didn't like them when I found the ones without the hood in the CK.

So she persuaded me to make an amulet with the same enchantment. It's based on the Amulet of Articulation that you get from the Thieves Guild, but with the College's symbol as the pendant.

Hofi with Amulet

It shouldn't be too much more work to make the male version, and the inventory/ground copy. I think it would be possible to add a script to prevent it being worn at the same time as the robes, which would stop it being OP. Would anyone else use it?

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:44 PM