13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Madness Helps Me Save Myself
SubRosa
post Jan 30 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

Sadly, his aching body told him otherwise.
I really liked this line. So very simple, but elegant.

He couldn't help but wonder what would have happened to him if he hadn't had to fight the gatekeeper, but come through Xedilian. What would the man in charge have chosen?
Uh oh, feeling empathy for others is not a good idea for a Champion of Madness... I think Wrothken is going to discover that he has gotten far more than he bargained for by coming to the Isles.

I always drive them insane too. It seems like the lesser of the two choices. Besides, it is the Realm of Madness after all, not that of Murder. I always thought the keys trap was a good touch.

And finally the Knights of Order. The end of the world is on a short timetable indeed!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 30 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

I absolutely hated this quest - first time in any game I entered a dungeon and couldn't get out without doing something distasteful first. Couldn't kill innocents, so I chose the madness route too - but GAAAAAH!!! You did a Great rendition of Wrothken's turmoil at having to be the one to make the choices!!

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 2 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

SubRosa & mALX~ I always drive them insane too. I think I killed them once just to see what the traps did, but I reloaded and drove them mad instead. It is the lesser of two evils and it will help them fit in perfectly with the rest of the residents smile.gif

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Nine: Duality

By time Wrothken made it back to Sickly Bernice's Taphouse, he felt like collapsing right in front of the door. His entire body throbbed in sync with his thudding heart. Beads of sweat lined his hair, slowly falling down his face, burning into his scruff. When he sat down, his thighs felt the familiar, pleasant burning throb of a good workout.

"Oh dear," Bernice said frowning. "Your cheeks are so red! Have you caught a fever?"

He shook his head. He didn't tell her that he ran most of the trip, fearful that more Knights would show up. Instead, he pulled out the silver flask and set it before her.

"Oh my stars..." She whispered, lifting it up. She swished it around. Her face lit up as she opened it, taking a whiff. "My savior!" She grasped Wrothken's hand for a moment before gulping it down. The gray pallor washed away from her face immediately, being replaced by a cool ivory color. "Thank you, thank you!" She smiled widely.

Wrothken would have enjoyed her happiness more if he wasn't so dead tired. "You're welcome, Bernice. Can I have a room for a couple hours?"

"Dearie, you can have a room whenever you want. No, put your gold away, I won't accept a single coin. You saved my life! In fact, I want you to have this." She took a ring from a box of Septims. It was a dark band with a soft green gem in the center. "It's supposed to boost your immunity up. Didn't work for me, obviously, but you're younger so maybe it'll help you."

It was far too small for his middle or ring finger, but it barely fit on his pinky. "Thank you, Bernice," he said, looking at the jade.

"Don't mention it," she said. "Really, don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want someone to get too close and get me sick all over again. Now, you go on up and rest. Afterwards, I'd recommend that you go see Cutter, just up the road. She can fix your armor up for you. Do be careful, though. She's a bit of an odd one..."

Rested, bathed, and finally shaven, Wrothken felt wonderful. He gathered up his armor and mace and walked down to Cutter's Weapons.

A flash of butterflies fluttered about in his stomach when he entered and saw the bloody stains on the floor and table. Standing in front of a blazing furnace, was an incredibly pale wood elf. Her jet hair made her appear almost ghostly. She had large green eyes heavily shadowed with black powder. Her smile gave Wrothken chills.

"They call me Cutter," she said, in a soft, slow drawl. "You must be the new boy. I bet your blood would taste delicious..."

He set his armor on the table, keeping his distance. "Bernice said you'd be able to fix this up?"

She held up the cuirass, licking her lips as she traced her finger over the gashes. "I bet you bled all over the place." She looked at the other pieces and set them aside. "I can fix them for fifty gold."

Wrothken raised his eyebrows. He was sure he didn't have that much, but then he remembered the items he received in Xedilian. "Do you buy things too?"

She nodded.

"Good," He said. He set the claymore down, noticing the purple gem had turned orange. It had to be a trick of the light. "I'm not sure what this is, but maybe you can find a use for it," he said, setting down the black box.

Cutter gasped. "A matrix! Are you sure you want to sell it?"

"Maybe." He picked up the box. "What's a matrix?"

"Let me show you something," she said. She took his arm, the iciness of her hands piercing through Wrothken's shirt, and she led him to the other side of the room, where two sets of armor were displayed.

They were made from the same material, one built for a man, the other for a woman. It was an almost sickly, dark green color. A vision of a tortured soul was etched on the cuirass, and a monster's face on the shield. The helm was something that the face of evil would wear. Wrothken placed his hand longingly on the glass. That armor was scary enough to strike terror in the heart of any enemy, be it a grummite or a Knight of Order. He had to have it.

"It is made from Madness Ore," Cutter said, picking up what looked like a large, black thorn from the table. "Spirits of ancients souls are trapped in the Ore. Find it in ancient ruins. Grummites are also especially attracted to it." Wrothken briefly remembered seeing the thorns in Xedilian, but at the time he didn't think anything of them. "It's a supple and flexible ore, yet it holds a good edge. I can shape the sharpest of blades with it. I can also create magical items."

She set the ore down and took the box she had referred to as a matrix. "Tradition dictates before each master smith dies, she hides these magical molds in the world, like pouring salt deep into a wound.” She ran her fingers slowly down her arms. Wrothken noticed raised scars all over her forearms, some jagged, some swirled, even some spelling out words. “Over time they soak in magical energies from the world around them, the way you suck in blood from a cut." She ran her finger slowly down his arm, causing him to shudder. "Bring me two pieces of ore, and I will forge you a new set of boots and bleed the magic of the matrix into it."

"Alright," he said, excited by the thought of new armor. "How much will you need?"

She took a paper from her pocket. It was covered in soot and dried blood smears. "Here is a list of everything I would need for whatever piece you would like. Now, I will get to work on your armor. It may take awhile, so you may leave if you'd like and come back later. Since you sold me a fine weapon, we'll call it even, hmm?"

"Alright, I'll be back soon," he said. He didn't want to keep Sheogorath waiting.

As he was heading to the palace, he felt a strong grip on his arm. He almost expected to see a Golden Saint scowling down at him, but was surprised to see Rheyna. She pulled him back, making him face her. His heart raced so hard, he was sure she could hear it.

"You shaved." She said. Her voice was almost like the Mazken, only lacking warmth. "I like it. It makes you look..." She leaned in. "Younger....fresher. Much more innocent." She smiled, her eyes shining with mischief. "You look nice this way. I like it."

His entire body tingled with her every word simply because she was talking to him. He tried to speak, but his voice cracked as if he were fifteen again. He simply nodded.

"Anyway, I have to go see Cutter now. Maybe we can get together later..." She released his arm and turned on her heel, leaving Wrothken to gaze after her.

"Well now," Sheogorath said. "What news do you have to report?"

"First of all, I was attacked by Knights of Order."

"So soon?" He seemed genuinely concerned for a moment. "Not a surprise, I suppose. We'll get to that later. No need to burden your little brain with it now," he said, waving his hand. "And Xedilian? Since you're standing here, I assume you've succeeded. Or you're terribly confused. Or really lacking in good judgment."

"It's been fixed."

"Wonderful!" He said, standing up and clapping. "Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone!" Wrothken smiled widely. He loved cheese. "Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True?" Wrothken sighed, looking down. He was looking forward to another rain of cheddar. "You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little," he winked, patting Wrothken's head. "I've granted you a new spell - the ability to summon Haskill, my Chamberlain, to aid you in your travels. He knows a lot. More than he knows. In fact, give it a try. Summon our friend to you now. I'll wait."

Wrothken looked over at Haskill and chuckled. Summoning, or any magic, was never his strong point. Luckily he knew enough to know that he just needed to focus his magicka and reach deep within himself and extract it. When he did that, Haskill materialized at his side.

"Ah... our Lord has granted you the power to summon me. How wonderful," he said, looking more irritated than ever. "When summoned, I can offer advice on your current endeavor. I imagine it's up to you what to do with my wisdom. Do try to use your power sparingly. I have duties to which I must attend. Rather more important than shepherding you around, I'm sure." With his lecture over, Haskill vanished and appeared back at the base of Sheogorath's throne.

Sheogorath cackled loudly, slapping his thighs. "Isn't that a hoot? I love it, myself. Best part of being a Daedric Prince, really. Go ahead, try it again. He loves it!"

Wrothken smiled and repeated the spell.

Haskill sighed. "Ah, summoned again. My Lord does so enjoy that, as is His prerogative. I'll assume you're done for now."

Wrothken flexed his hand. He was going to have a lot of fun.

"Just don't expect to summon dear Haskill anywhere but in the Realm. He dislikes leaving My presence. I get that sometimes."

Wrothken smiled, imagining what would happen if he were able to summon him to Kvatch and Haskill gave Kirsty his sass. He actually began to laugh as he envisioned her beating him with a rolling pin.

"Good thing you've mastered that. You'll need all the help you can get if you're going to defeat Jyggalag and stop the Greymarch."

"Who's Jyggalag?"

"The Daedric Prince of Order. Or biscuits..." He paused, tapping his lip with his finger. "No. Order. And not in a good way. Bleak. Colorless. Dead. Boring, boring, boring!" he cried, grabbing a fistful of his hair. "And not a fan of My work, I can tell you!" He wagged his finger. "Hates it. Hates Me. A bit single minded, if you take My meaning. You've seen his Knights. Not the warm and cuddly sort. Not a bit of original thought in their lifeless husks. So, you're going to help Me stop him."

"Alright, how do I do that?"

"Again with the niggling little details! Hold your tongue. Or I will," he added in a menacing tone. "We'll get to that, all in due time. For now, you've got other work to do."

Wrothken exhaled deeply. Just how was he supposed to stop it if he didn't know what it was? "Fine. What would you ask me to do?"

"Ask? ASK? I don't ask. I tell. This is My Realm, remember? My creation, My place, My rules. Look at you," he said, lifting a lock of Wrothken's hair. "No concept of what you've stumbled into. No sense of place. You don't even really know where you are, do you?" He grabbed a hold of Wrothken's dark blue shirt. "I suppose few really do,” he said, releasing Wrothken and shrugging. “But that's beside the point. We're going to give you a taste of where you have found yourself. You're going to learn."

Wrothken's blood felt like ice. Was he going to be driven insane like the men in Xedlilian?

Sheogorath continued, holding up two fingers. "Two halves, two rulers, two places. Meet and greet. Do what they will, so you know what they're about. Thadon, the Duke of Mania and Syl, the Duchess of Dementia. Seek them out, and let them show you what New Sheoth is. You might be surprised. Once you understand what My Realm is, you might understand why it's important to keep it intact. And maybe you'll make some friends along the way. That's always nice!"

"So you want me to speak to each of them, and they'll help me understand things here?"

"Isn't that what I said? Don't tell me your ears have been clogged with cheese. You'll attract rats that way!"

Wrothken raised his eyebrows, taking his answer as a yes. "As you wish," he said. First things first, he needed his armor.

"Ta!" Sheogorath said, waving. "Come visit again, or I'll pluck out your eyes!"

The image of Sheogorath adorning himself with Wrothken's eyes planted itself firmly in his mind and refused to go away. "I promise to visit again, real, real soon."

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:35 AM

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 2 2011, 04:30 AM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

Once again, I loved Wrothken's reaction to seeing the Madness Armor. I want it! biggrin.gif

I loved seeing Cutter. She is one of my favorite residents of the Isles. You would think there would be more goth people there, but she seems to be the only one. And Kalila makes an appearance, in what I believe is an all new scene? rawr! I wonder what she might be doing with Cutter... wink.gif

Wrothken flexed his hand. He was going to have a lot of fun.
I loved this! Haskill, karma is a umbrella seller! laugh.gif

He actually began to laugh as he envisioned her beating him with a rolling pin.
This had me laughing out loud!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 4 2011, 01:02 AM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

They call me Cutter," she said, in a soft, slow drawl. "You must be the new boy. I bet your blood would taste delicious..."

EW !!! Cutter wouldn't speak to my character, her husband had just died or something, and she would tell me to leave her alone. I never was able to make her speak, so if she had a quest (I didn't get it), lol. I should not have eaten before reading the part about her, YUCK !!! GAAAAH !!!

Great Write, Jacki !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 4 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #46

Knower
Group Icon

SubRosa~ I love Cutter too smile.gif She says the starngest things. Ad Kalila was there before, though I think I changed some of the wording. ♥

mALX~ Did you happen to visit the Orc in Bliss first? They get upset if you visit the each other. Cutter flat out threatens you I think ohmy.gif

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Ten: Raining Cheese, Indeed!

Kirsty could hardly sleep at all. Her stomach was knotted with worry. After lying in bed and thinking about it for a few hours, she couldn't believe that she allowed some stranger to break into Wrothken's house and take jewelry. Maybe Lilitu-- if that was even her name-- wasn't a thief after all, but an undercover guard trying to put a stop to the Thieves Guild. Or maybe she and Awour were old friends, looking to catch Kirsty in something, just so they can report her later. Maybe she really was a thief, but was going to run off with the spoils.

Realizing that sleep wasn't going to come to her, she decided to get to work.

She walked downstairs to the bakery and stood at the counter with a quill and parchment, checking her sales for the previous day. She made around fifty sweet rings yesterday, but didn't have enough for everyone who wanted one. She could try for seventy-five...but then again it was Tirdas. For some reason, Morndas always sold more sweets than any other day. "Sixty rings," she decided, writing it down.

Immediately she set to work. She found a large bowl and emptied a sack of flour into it. She was so happy to have left Valenwood. Flour, since it's grain, is forbidden by the Green Pact. Instead, they used bonemeal. It wasn't bad, but it didn't give the bread that fluffiness she loved. She took out a jar of honey and mixed it in, creating a thick paste. After forming the rings and soaking it in wine, she put them in the oven.

While she waited for them to cook, she started preparing some croissants and chocolate muffins to be baked as well. By time she was finished, her apron and any unprotected part of her dress was covered in powder.

A knock on the window caused her heart to rise, then sink instantly. Lilitu wasn't outside but Yyaevonnte was. She felt guilty at her lack of excitement. Why should she be less disappointed to see her best friend than a thief?

She let the Redguard in, locking the door behind him.

"Kirsty! I was worried about waking you up, but I forgot that you're always up this early," he said, taking a seat at the bar.

Kirsty shrugged.

Yyaevonnte leaned back. "Just got back from one hell of a mission. A group of guys went exploring in some goblin cave and got in over their heads and lost their healer. I had to fight four of them off the poor girl and by then she was shaking so bad, she accidentally healed the dead goblins!" He laughed. "Should have seen the looks on their faces! They were dead but the wounds healed and everything! She nearly wet herself!"

"Hmmm," Kirsty said absentmindedly.

He leaned in. "Then we stripped the goblins down and had ourselves a good old time!"

"That's nice," she mumbled. "Wait," she looked at him. "What?"

"Testing you. You didn't hear a word I said before, did you?"

Kirsty shook her head. "Sorry, Yyaevonnte. I'm just a little stressed."

"Why? Wrothken still gone?" He sighed. "Why did he go anyway? If you ask me, he should have beat Bacchus out of his bed and put Awour out on the street!"

"I know... I thought he should clear his mind, though I'm still waiting on that letter from him!" She sighed, laying her elbows on the counter. "Yesterday, I heard Awour say that she was planning on selling some jewelry Wrothken gave her."

He shrugged. "So?"

"I couldn't let her do that so..." She bit her lip and wringing her hands.

Yyaevonnte narrowed his eyes. "So what?"

"I... I kinda hired a... a thief--"

"You did what?" Yyaevonnte jumped up. "You didn't!"

Kirsty looked away, starting to mince some strawberries. "I couldn't let her do it. Not after all Wrothken did for her."

"Kirsty, that's illegal! A thief? Oh, dear gods!"

"Oh, like you've never broken the law before," she hissed.

"Not like this! Nothing really harmful!"

"It wasn't harmful," she said, pouring the strawberries into a bowl. "I hired her to steal not kill."

"And what do you think happens on the roads outside of town? Never stops those thieves from killing."

"Shut up, will you? And don't you dare breathe a word of this to your guildmates! Last thing I need is for all of Kvatch to know." She huffed, folding her arms defensively. "Besides, it was the only way I could get them back for Wrothken!"

"Oh? And where is the jewelry now, huh?"

"That's the thing," she sighed. "Not here yet."

"Why am I not surprised?" He buried his face in his hands for a moment, then ran his hands through his buzzed black hair. "How long ago did you...?"

"Late last night. I know I'm probably being paranoid--"

"And with good reason."

"But," she said with a growl. "It is still pretty early in the morning. She's probably still asleep."

"Makes sense," he said. "Not like thieves have any sort of honest work to do."

After the breakfast rush, though Lilitu still hadn't shown, a man carrying a sack full of papers walked in. Kirsty's heart raced. Did Wrothken finally send her a letter?

"Morning, miss," he said, handing her a copy of the Black Horse Courier. "Special edition," he said with a nod.

He walked away as Kirsty caught the headline.

IPB Image

SPECIAL EDITION!
Ricotta Rain! Transdimensional door appears! Coincidence?

An ordinary, peaceful morning on the Niben Bay was suddenly turned upside down when a downpour of cheddar cheese coated the immediate area. Locals from Bravil and the Imperial City scrambled to get a basket of the cheese, but by time they got to the area, guards had been sent to keep people from consuming it until it could be tested for poisons.

At the same time, it was reported that a strange door opened up on a mysterious island in the bay. Plants not found anywhere on Nirn were discovered, prompting a mass gathering of mages to examine and gather them up for potions. Several adventurers arrived on the scene as well, seeking to find out where the door came from and what its purpose is. Few have come out, and those who have seem to be driven mad by whatever is inside.

A guard from Bravil, who has been posted at the door, was quoted, saying, "I keep telling them that nothing that enters come out right. They don't listen. Stupid kids got their heads filled with ideas of fame and fortune. Guess who gets stuck cleaning it up."

The obvious madness in the victims has caused many to wonder if the door is something from Sheogorath. However, because all who have entered have become too disturbed to talk, it has been difficult to confirm.

Chana Mona, the priestess in Bravil's chapel of Mara, has been conducting her services outside by the bay, warning people to stay away. At first her words were unheeded, but seeing as how most have either gone insane or haven't returned at all, more are gathering to listen to her sermons.

"Can you believe this garbage?" Kirsty said, looking at Yyaevonnte. "What's next? Strawberries in the sewers? Corn from the clouds? I certainly hope they figure out who printed this joke and send a retraction!"

Yyaevonnte scanned it. "I don't know. Those boys are usually on top of things. Besides, while I was in that cave, one of the guys mentioned it. I thought he was just drunk, but..." He tapped the paper. "There's only one way to find out. I'll check it out if this thief ever shows up."

Lilitu couldn't remember her dream, but she saw glimpses when she concentrated. A slender blond wrapped in soft sheets. A kiss before rushing out of the house after a secret night together. Such a soft kiss... Vivica... Lilitu remained wrapped in red sheets, her lips longing for another brush from those soft petal lips, but she knew it would only happen in dreams. She would just have to settle for that. She sat up and found the poem lying next to her, right on her pillow. Could that have been the cause of her dream? With it being the only explanation, she locked it in her nightstand, though not without reading it once more.

She hadn't even got out of the bed when Dolce bounded in, jumping up on the covers. She panted heavily, filling Lilitu's nose with the stench of morning-doggie breath. "Off!" She said, pointing at the floor. "By the Nine, your breath is awful! Remind me to give you some parsley before bed."

After Dolce returned to the floor, Lilitu got up as well, pulling a red robe over her nightgown. She went to the kitchen and chopped up some beef. Dolce quivered as she tried to refrain from jumping up on the counter. Lilitu set the beef in a blue dish on the floor. Dolce immediately pounced, greedily eating it as if she hadn't been fed in days.

While she ate, Lilitu got dressed. "Come on, Dolce," she said, after she finished. "Time to make a delivery."

When Kirsty finally saw Lilitu, she felt a wave of relief, along with a slight flash of jealousy. Lilitu was wearing a red high-necked corset top, which recently became fashionable in the area. Kirsty had been highly disappointed to find that it was impossible to stuff herself into one and a custom made top would have been far too expensive. She looked down. Sometimes the blessing so many girls envied and men lusted for was much more of a curse.

"There she is," she whispered to Yyaevonnte.

"The red one?" He raised his eyebrows. "Damn...she doesn't look like a thief! I thought they were...you know, dirty. Scruffy. She must be pretty damn good."

"Why do you think I hired her?" She said, trying to regain a sense of control of the issue.

Lilitu smiled, taking a seat in front of her. Without prompting, Dolce sat down as well.

"Special delivery," Lilitu said, handing Kirsty a small coin purse. She opened it, gasping sharply when she saw the earrings and the ring nestled inside. "You look surprised."

"No, I just..." She couldn't admit that she thought Lilitu would deceive her.

"She thought you were gonna skip town with them," Yyaevonnte piped up.

"Figures," Lilitu said, without a trace of anger. "Most people who hire thieves for the first time don't expect the merchandise to come, especially if they have no experience with the guild. And you are?"

"Me?" Yyaevonnte stood up. "I'm Yyaevonnte, Swordsman of the Fighter's Guild and fastest man in Tamriel..." he leaned in, suggestively wiggling his eyebrows. "At everything."

Lilitu's eyebrows raised. "That's not exactly something to be proud of."

Kirsty's cheeks reddened, and not from Yyaevonnte's most-used and most-unsuccessful pick-up line. She had worried herself silly over nothing. "Here, I know you wanted to do this for free, but at least take this, on the house." She handed Lilitu a fresh sweet ring.

When she took a bite, Lilitu's cherry red eyes suddenly seemed to glaze over and she moaned softly. "What is this?" she asked, quickly taking another bite.

"Just some sweet rings. I haven't come up with a good name for them just yet."

"I can think of some, but they're more suited for the bedroom than the kitchen. This is amazing!"

Kirsty reddened a little. She was usually too busy to hear people's compliments. "Um.. here's something for your dog, too." She stepped from behind the counter and set down a slab of ham.

Dolce sniffed it curiously and took a hesitant lick, as if she wasn't sure she could trust it. She looked up at Lilitu, who nodded. "Go ahead, baby." As soon as permission was granted, Dolce ate it up like she hadn't eaten in weeks.

"Something wrong with your dog?" Yyaevonnte asked. "I've never seen an animal question meat before."

"She was poisoned once," Lilitu said, her eyes blanking for a moment, as if lost in the memory. "She was sick for days after, even with potions."

Kirsty gasped. "That's horrible! I'm so sorry," she said, placing her hand on Lilitu's.

"Not to worry, she recovered and the man who did it is rotting away in prison as we speak."

"Huh..." Yyaevonnte said. "I didn't know it was illegal to kill a dog."

Lilitu's eyes twinkled. "It isn't."

Dolce just panted, wagging her tail happily. Kirsty stiffened as Dolce hopped onto the counter, rubbing her wet nose on her hand. "Don't worry," Lilitu said. "Remember what I said last night? Her heart is in her stomach. She'll love you forever now."

They were quiet for a moment before she said, "So, I'm just going to come out and ask. Who's Wrothken?"

"Wrothken?" She asked. "He's my brother."

Lilitu raised her eyebrows. "Your...brother?"

Kirsty shook her head. "Not exactly. I mean he's been like a brother. You know, looking after me and helping me out with stuff." She set her head on her hand, sighing. "He helped me run the place. Drunks listened to him more then they did me."

"Was he intimidating?"

Yyaevonnte laughed. "He's more like a big teddy bear, but people don't know that. All they see is a giant Nord with hands big enough to squash them like roaches!"

"I see. So, he's your brother, who lived with the high elf, and you wanted me to steal jewelry from their house." She looked outside. "She broke his heart, didn't she?"

Kirsty nodded. "He caught her in bed with another man."

Lilitu continued to stare outside. "How sad. Where is he now?"

"I suggested he go to the Imperial City to clear his head...but he was supposed to write me when he got there, and I haven't gotten anything yet."

"I still say he should've just thrown her out the door..." Yyaevonnte said.

Kirsty nodded in agreement. "He should've, but if we list all the things that should have happened, we'll all go insane."

"Hey," a voice behind Lilitu said.

She jumped, seeing Capaneus behind her. "What... Hi," she forced out. "What are you doing, sneaking up behind me like that?"

He just smiled, looking at Kirsty. "Did you break into Awour's house last night?"

Kirsty looked like a deer caught between a wall and a starving bear. "Oh...well, you see..."

Lilitu exhaled loudly. "She didn't break into anything. Why?"

He shrugged. "Awour's furious. Seems someone broke into her house last night and stole some jewelry. In fact, she was just at the Dancing Minotaur demanding that the doyen of the Thieves' Guild present themselves. Of course, she got laughed out of the place when she suggested that you did it."

"She what?" Kirsty shrieked.

"Calm down," Lilitu said. "First off, she has no proof it was anyone. The guards won't waste their time on speculation, especially since officially, we don't exist. Second, even if she did have proof, no way would I turn you in. There is honor among thieves."

"She's right," Capaneus said. "Turns out she knows exactly how far the Guild would go for anyone they consider an ally," he said, winking at Lilitu.

She narrowed her eyes. She knew what he was getting at, but how did he find out? Creepy, nosy fetcher.

"Hey there," he said, noticing Dolce. The moment his hand lowered with the intent to pet, Dolce barked loudly, snarling and trying to back away as far as she could.

"Dolce!" Lilitu said, hoping to calm her down. For once, Dolce ignored her mistress, continuing to bark. "N'chow!" She swore, looking at all the patrons staring at them. "Just give her this," Lilitu said, placing a slice of ham in Capaneus' hands. Capaneus threw it to Dolce, but she refused to acknowledge it. "Damn," she spat. She led Dolce away, saying to Kirsty, "I'm so sorry, she must be cranky. Just don't worry, everything will be fine." She nudged Dolce, saying, "Come on, baby."

Dolce growled the entire way out the door, staring hard at Capaneus. As soon as they were outside, Lilitu knelt next to the calmed dog and scratched behind her ears. "You don't like him, either?" She asked. She knew animals, especially dogs, had a sixth sense when it came to danger. People included. Dolce had been right once before. Lilitu couldn't help thinking that Dolce may have had good reason for her reaction to Capaneus.

"What in Oblivion was with that?" Yyaevonnte asked, looking back at Kirsty.

Kirsty shrugged.

"Probably lack of real training or maybe I just smelled funny," Capaneus offered.

"Maybe," Yyaevonnte said. "Well, I'm off, Kirsty. I'm gonna go check out that cheese. I'll see you later."

As soon as Yyaevonnte left, Kirsty felt more alone than ever. She licked her lips nervously, glancing up at Capaneus who remained at the counter. Something about him offered comfort, though she had never met him. She smiled weakly and was rewarded with glistening brown eyes and a grin that made her knees weak. He reached over and took her hand in his and suddenly, she didn't feel alone anymore.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:38 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 4 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

Oohh, smooth operator!

And Yyaevonnte (now how on Nirn do you pronounce that??) and Lilitu and Dolce up and left Kirsty alone with that slimeball?

Believe me, the dog knows best.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 4 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

"Maybe," Yyaevonnte said. "Well, I'm off, Kirsty. I'm gonna go check out that cheese. I'll see you later."

Just one of many enjoyable lines from Yavon... Yevonn... Yyaevonnte! rollinglaugh.gif

I love how Kirsty makes a mess of herself when she bakes. Somehow it's endearing. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 5 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

Instead, they used bonemeal.
When those wood elves shout: "I'll grind your bones to make my bread!" - they really mean it! biggrin.gif

"Then we stripped the goblins down and had ourselves a good old time!"
Kinky! I like Yyaevonnte already. I can pronounce the name (I think), but it sounds like a girl's name. I guess his parents were like Julian's, and gave him a name of the opposite sex to toughen him up. wink.gif In any case, I think he was a good addition to the story. Little things like him make starting over worth it.

btw, you can post inline images here, so you might want to add in the BHC logo to your copy of the broadsheet. Just reply to this and copy and paste the code below:

IPB Image

So Vivica is it? Yum! I like how you juxtaposed Lilitu's erotic dream with waking up to Dolce. As ever, her canine sidekick is simply adorable, morning doggie breath and all!

Lilitu's eyebrows raised. "That's not exactly something to be proud of."
Exactly what I was thinking! laugh.gif

All in all a fun episode bursting with extra flavor that the original lacked. You have introduced us to more new characters, making Kvatch feel like a larger place. Also underscoring the tragedy in store for the city on the plateau.

nits:
Plants not found anywhere on Nirn were found
You have a repetition of found. Perhaps you could change the second case to discovered or observed?

Chana Mona, the priest in Bravil's chapel of Mara
Unless Chana has a surprise under her skirt, I think you mean priestess?

Kirsty looked like a dear caught between a wall and a starving bear.
You have the wrong kind of deer here.

Creepy, nosy b*stard.
You might think of replacing this with an ES term like fetcher, or bounder.

The moment his hand lowered with the intent to pet, Dolce barked loudly, snarling and trying to back away as far as she can.
You have a change of tenses at the end, going from past to present. You ought to change that to could, to keep it all past tense.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 5 2011, 07:06 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 5 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

What a great twist you threw in there with Kirsty, and the BHC article was Awesome !!! I think Cutter did threaten me, so I must have talked to that Orc for whatever reason, lol. Great Chapter !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 6 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #51

Knower
Group Icon

haute ecole rider~ I'm actually unsure how to pronounce it :X A friend of mine found out about the fanfic and asked that I name a character after his middle name...and this conversation happened over text message tongue.gif I'll have to ask him how its said

Grits~ Wrothken thinks its cute too when I cook and I come back with flour all over my clothes smile.gif

SubRosa~ Yyaevonnte was actually supposed to be in the original draft. At one point, he was going to be a resident of the Isles, then a thief that Lilitu takes under her wing, then a friend of Awour's...but he didn't fit proper! So when I did the redraft I added a Breton friend of Kirsty's....but then the light went off and -ding!- perfect place for him!
So Vivica is it? Yum! I like how you juxtaposed Lilitu's erotic dream with waking up to Dolce.

Nothing like waking up from a steamy dream to a dog (or these days a very vocal tuxedo cat!) pouncing on you and ruining it tongue.gif

mALX~ Thanks mALX ♥ Though my BHC has nothing on yours! tongue.gif

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Eleven: Understanding Madness

Atrea stood in front of the arena, watching as Lilitu disappeared down the bustling street. What was a girl like her, who hung out in dumps like the Dancing Minotaur, doing in such a posh place? And the very one owned by Kirsty.... She narrowed her eyes. Lilitu must have had something to do with her stolen jewelry. Now that she thought about it, Kirsty wasn't the type, but everyone knew who exactly hung out at the Dancing Minotaur. There might as well have been a Thieves' Guild banner flying over it.

She wanted to follow her and see if she still had her jewelry, maybe even steal it back, but she was afraid she would be too obvious. She was no thief, after all. Maybe after a few days, when her guard was down, she could find a way to get them back. Instead of stalking, she turned and went home.

She frowned, looking into the messy living room. Remnants of last night's lunch and dinner was still sitting on the coffee table, next to a pile of books. Crumpled papers littered the floor.

The kitchen wasn't much better. A bouquet of flowers, once fresh and fragrant, now smelled sickly sweet and the lightest brush on a petal nearly turned it to dust. Empty bottles were all over the counter, along with pots and pans caked with burnt food.

As usual, she felt the sudden urge to clean so she could entertain friends, but a few minutes into it, she gave up and left for Erissanda's house. She promised herself she would clean later on, though she had made that same promise nightly ever since Wrothken left their house.

Erissanda was home, thank the Gods. Atrea knew that if she had to look for her in the marketplace, she would be out of money by the end of the day. As Erissanda greeted her cheerfully and let Atrea in, Atrea was taken aback by how beautiful her home was. Sunlight bathed the living room from behind white lace curtains. The rose couches were so inviting, as was the wine and food platter sitting on the chestnut coffee table, as if Erissanda had been expecting her.

"Sit, sit!" Erissanda said, pulling Atrea to the couch and taking a seat next to her. "What brings you here? I thought you were going to get your jewelry back from Kirsty!" Erissanda snorted, tucking her brown hair behind her ear.

"You know," Atrea said, taking a slice of cheese onto a cracker. "I don't think Kirsty has it. Could you imagine her sneaking around anywhere? It’s a wonder she doesn't knock around everything in front of her!" She said, cupping her hands in front of her breasts.

Erissanda laughed a little. "Then who has it?"

"I think it was someone from the Thieves' Guild."

"Oh, please! You don't actually believe in that, do you?"

Atrea shrugged. "It's the only explanation I can think of." She sighed, laying her head in Erissanda's lap. "I miss Bacchus. If he were here, no one would have broken in.... or lived to tell about it!"

Erissanda stroked Atrea's long hair softly. "How long is his training?"

"A whole year! Can you believe I'm already getting so lonely? I don't know how much longer I can wait for him!"

"Awww, poor baby!" Erissanda said, starting to braid a lock of Atrea's hair. "Meanwhile you've bedded how many men this year?"

"Just two, thank you very much."

"Two more than I have," Erissanda muttered.

Atrea shrugged. Nothing she could do about that. She turned slightly, looking out the window. A man with an axe walked by the road and Atrea remembered Wrothken's axe still hanging up on the wall. Her heart fluttered, remembering his strong arms...those big hands...broad shoulders...plump, soft lips... She growled softly. Why didn't he fight back? Of course, she knew exactly why and she wanted to kick herself for it.

"What?" Erissanda asked, starting a new braid.

"Oh, just Wrothken."

"That he's vanished off of Nirn without so much as a goodbye or at least getting his dreck out of the house?"

"Not exactly.... I'm just wondering why the hell he had to run off like that instead of fighting."

Erissanda snorted again. "You just wanted to be fought over?"

"No!" Atrea said defensively. Of course that would have been nice, she thought.

"Look, I think it’s pretty obvious. You had dear Wrothken's balls in your purse! What did you expect from a guy like that?"

Atrea stood up and looked out the window. "It's not his fault. It's all mine."

"How so?"

Atrea turned around, her eyes shimmering. "Would you believe that Wrothken used to fight in a dirty pit back in Bruma?"

"They've got an arena up there?"

"Pfft." Atrea placed her hand on her hip. "More like a seedy little tavern with a huge basement. You should have seen it! It was packed full of men betting on people beating the daylights out of each other."

"And Wrothken was part of it?"

"He was a main event!" she looked up at the ceiling. "When I first laid eyes on him it was like someone lit a fire in me. His eyes..." Atrea sighed as she stared out the window. “The thing was, I was too scared of him to approach but one day, he came over to me and you can imagine my surprise when it turned out he was just the sweetest thing.

“Wrothken was just so kind and so very eager to please. Turns out he never really had a girlfriend before me. Well, there was one, but that was only for a week so she doesn't count. I mean, the only thing was, he had a bit of a temper problem, but I figured that if I could get him to get rid of it, I'd have the perfect guy! After all, he really was sweet under all that violent behavior and he spoiled me quite a bit. Soon enough he got out of the pit fighting."

Erissanda poured them both some wine. "Sounds just like your type!"

"Exactly!" She laughed. "I mean, it took a long time. The littlest things would set him off, but all I had to do was cry big, juicy daedroth tears and whimper, 'Wrothken you're scaring me,' and he'd calm down." She crinkled her nose. "Then he'd start to cry. By the Nine that was irritating. That's where I went wrong, though."

"How?" Erissanda asked. "You got him away from those bad influences, you got his temper in check, what could possibly be the problem?"

Atrea sighed. "He lost his spark." She leaned in, lowering her voice even though they were alone in the house. "Before, we used to have the most fiery passion you could imagine. He was rough, demanding, oh by Dibella it was..." She grunted, balling her fists. "But....afterwards..." She sighed. "It wasn't what it used to be, I guess."

"That's normal. All relationships go through that."

Atrea shook her head. "Not like we did. Not that I don't want Bacchus!" She added quickly. "He's gorgeous! And Wrothken put on a little weight when he started hanging around Kirsty. And while Bacchus is perfection in that department, he's nowhere near as good as Wrothken was in bed. Even with the fire doused, at least he was attentive, pleasing."

Erissanda took a sip of her wine. "Then why'd you keep at him for so long? I remember a couple months ago you were trying to figure out how to dump Wrothken and get with Bacchus as quick and as painless as possible."

"I know, I know!" Atrea groaned, burying her face in her hands. "But when Bacchus left for the night, it was wham, bam, thank you ma'am," she said, clapping her hands. "And that was it. With Wrothken, even if it was for just a few hours, he made sure I was taken care of, whether it was leaving me septims or just leaving food out for me. And my gods, can he cook! And he cleaned too! Without me even asking. Not to mention he bathed regularly. Do you know how bad it is when Bacchus came back after exercising? Or even just a romp in the sack? He smelled awful! But good luck convincing him of it," she said, crinkling her nose again. "And maybe he could live off stale arena food and beer, but I certainly will not!"

She leaned on Erissanda. "But why in Oblivion am I even thinking of Wrothken? I made my choice."

"Yeah, but you don't seem very pleased with it. Lack of passion aside, you've got to admit that Wrothken sounds like the better match for you. He's a nice guy."

"Exactly!" Atrea moaned. "I don't want a nice guy! They're so boring! I need a man who will light my fires, pounce me like an animal, who will make me scream! If I only knew what would happen, I could have avoided this mess in the first place."

Erissanda shrugged. "Oh, well. You can't have it all."

A spark lit up Atrea's eyes. "Or can you?" She stood up and began to pace. "You can't change a man, but you can train them. After all, that's just what I did to Wrothken. Well, what if I can untrain him? Find ways to bring back that part of him that I so stupidly repressed." She smiled. "It's certainly worth looking into, don't you think?"

"Sure," Erissanda said. "That is, if he ever comes back."

Kirsty was glad to have Capaneus with her all day. She had been tense, jumping each time a guard entered the bakery for a quick snack, but it was like Capaneus could read her thoughts and he never hesitated to say something to make her laugh. So strange that he was able to put her at ease so quickly.

He even helped her close and before leaving, he bowed and kissed her hand. What a gentleman!

Kirsty had always been too busy to even consider dating and each time she was witness to a horrible break up or its aftermath, she would be thankful that she had avoided such heartbreak. Capaneus, however made her feel so blissful. His compliments, not a single one related to her figure, were wonderful. His jokes hilarious. His very presence was powerful, though he wasn't a large man at all. Even still, a voice deep within her told her that something was wrong.

As she sat in her bathtub, she recalled Dolce's sudden outburst. The previous night when she had been the target of the dog's vicious growls, Dolce was instantly calmed by Lilitu. She had not only quieted, but immediately retreated back to her bed on command. Even the fact that Dolce walked just at Lilitu's side, without a leash, showed that the dog was well-trained. Then again, he did smell a little funny. And Lilitu mentioned that Dolce had been poisoned, she rationalized. Capaneus could remind Dolce of her assailant.

She spent the entire bath trying to give herself reasons not to worry until she realized what she was doing. As she crawled into bed, she simply chalked it up to nervousness about these newfound feelings. However, the voice refused to silence and it carried on until she entered the blackness of her dreams.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:38 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

ROFL!! Nothing sexier than a man that cooks and cleans ... unless they can also fix your car horse-drawn carriage of course. But...what about Wrothken's ...deformity ... GAAAAH !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 6 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

Its a wonder she doesn't knock around everything in front of her!"
laugh.gif

Of course that would have been nice, she thought.
Yep, that is a straight girl for you.

I don't want a nice guy! They're so boring!
And so is that!

The scene with Awour was so much better this time around. The addition of Erissanda as a sounding board to bring out Awour's feelings really made the entire thing flow so much better.

So Cap is working his magic on Kirsty then? Such a complicated web of relationships you are building up back in Kvatch! If Wrothken ever gets back, I doubt he will recognize the place! (assuming it is still standing that is).

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Feb 7 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #54

Knower
Group Icon

May I interject that a boring guy might be quite good on the tunneling side...

whistling.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 7 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Feb 7 2011, 06:25 AM) *

May I interject that a boring guy might be quite good on the tunneling side...

whistling.gif

SPEW !!! Er ... er ... [covers mouth with hand, gives discreet cough to camoflage talking] "Oxy-Fay ... O-nay ... Ot-nay Othken-Wray - OFL - Ray !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 8 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #56

Councilor
Group Icon

The dead bouquet of flowers is so sad.

Awour plots to get Wrothken back, I like it! Still would like to give her a slap, though. dry.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 11 2011, 04:51 AM
Post #57

Knower
Group Icon

mALX~ Lol! poor Wrothken! Maybe she's into "deformed" ones.... In fact I'd be willing to bet that she has seen many like it wink.gif

SubRosa~ I think it will take Wrothken some time to adjust...though there is something I have in store for him upon his return that will be sure to distract him!

Foxy~ Well, if he's that good, then he certainly can't be all that boring wink.gif

Grits~ Ah, Awour does tend to have that effect on people

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Twelve: Green Lines

"Mania? Or Dementia?" Wrothken wondered, looking to either side. He watched the arrogant Golden Saints walk around with their chests puffed out and their noses stuck up so high, if it rained, they'd all drown. He didn't want to be anywhere near them, honestly.

On the other side, he saw the Mazken sashay around their half of the Palace district. They were the epitome of strength, confidence, and authority. Wrothken couldn't help feeling a slight attraction to them.

After thinking about it on the way to pick up his armor from Cutter, he still couldn't figure it out. It wasn't a life or death decision, but as he wasn't sure what to expect, he was nervous. After all, the last job had been nothing he had been prepared for. He sat down once he was back in the Palace district for another fifteen minutes before deciding to summon Haskill.

"I see you couldn't be bothered to walk the extra twenty feet to the palace," he said with a sigh. "What is it you require?"

Wrothken didn't bother repressing a smile. "I just wanted to ask you who I should visit first."

With an exaggerated eye roll, Haskill replied, "Thadon is aware you are here, and should be waiting for you. See him at once. Would you like me to accompany you? Hold your hand, maybe?"

Wrothken clenched his fists. He should have known that there would be a smart comment along with it. He tried to avoid making it obvious that Haskill got to him, as the chamberlain vanished. When there was no longer a trace of him, Wrothken headed to the House of Mania.

The House of Mania was the picture of decadence. As Wrothken entered the smoke-filled place, he saw a banquet table filled to its edges with roasts, pastries, fruit, bottles of wine, eggs, and anything else Wrothken could ever imagine eating. As people stuffed their faces while smoking pipes and what appeared to be rolled pieces of parchment. Nude women poured wine for the people at the tables and some sat amongst themselves feeding each other sugar cubes and looking around the room as if they were seeing the most wonderful things in the world. The Golden Saints stood at the door, their expressions neutral, as if this happened all the time.

Wrothken was so busy staring at the women that he nearly bumped into a fully clothed Argonian woman. She was dressed in simpler clothes than the others, a gold gown with embellishments around the collar and a blue skirt with amber trim. Small horns wrapped around her head with ribbons hanging from the backs. Her pupils were so dilated that it appeared her eyes were black with a thin orange ring around them. "How can I help you..." She squinted at him. "Sir? Miss?" She shook her head. "You all look alike to me. It's so hard to tell." She waved her hand. "I am Wide-Eye, Steward to His Grace, the greatest Duke of Mania in all of history, Thadon. He is my reason for being. My purpose in life. Are you here to see him?"

He nodded, his eyes drifting toward the other women.

She nodded as well. "I heard that you were coming, looking for Thadon. Yes, yes. Heard it all. Bored to tears by it. He's waiting for you. Unless he isn't. He wasn't, but then he was. Maybe he still is."

She motioned him to the end of the table, where a Bosmer in a large throne was sitting, surprisingly without any female company. Out of all the guests, he was like a proud peacock in his turquoise and gold finery and crown. When Wrothken approached, he stood up, smiling widely. Wrothken couldn't help noticing a dusting of green powder on his nose and several lines of it on a small tray by his full plate.

"Ahh yes, there you are!” He said lazily to Wrothken. “You couldn't imagine how long I've been waiting for you. So little to do, and so much time. Hmm, could you, in fact, imagine just how long I've been waiting? I don't think you could, but I might be wrong. I might also not care. Which is it?"

Wrothken tilted his head. "Not very long?"

"Hmm... It felt like rather a long time, but then long times get longer when you're standing around thinking about them. A curious thing, that. Long roads get longer too, if you're thinking about them, but what about long words? They don't change nearly as much." He shrugged. "Long, short -- it all ends up the same. Dust and tears. Usually tears first, then the dust. Dust can't cry, you see. That would be... well, amusing." He chuckled, then abruptly stopped. "You know what's not amusing? I don't have my Chalice of Reversal. It makes me sad," he said, dragging his finger from his eye to his chin. "When I get sad, I don't care to do much of anything. I certainly don't care to help people who show up on my doorstep wanting something. Are we getting the picture here?"

Wrothken sighed. He got the picture alright. "Do you know where your Chalice of Reversal is?"

"Oh, so you've heard of it?"

"No."

"You haven't heard of it, yet you know its name? What a strange creature you are." Wrothken didn't bother pointing out that Thadon gave him the name. Somehow, he knew it wouldn't do any good.

"One of my favorite toys," Thadon said. "Does wonders for creativity. Well, not by itself, but it helps. Those Elytra, clever little bugs that they are. Is this making sense?”

Wrothken shook his head. Not very much made sense lately, but this was even worse.

“Look, you eat the Felldew, then use the Chalice, and find the world a much brighter and happier place. Honest. But I don't have it. So I can't eat Felldew, because that would just be bad. I mean, really bad. Damn her!" He snarled, glancing to his left.

Wrothken looked over as well, but he didn't suspect either of the women, who were feeding a roasted leg to a large man, had anything to do with the lost Chalice.

"Do you know who took it?"

Thadon looked back at him with a sly smile. "Opposites repel, strangely enough. All that... pleasure... and pain locked away now, as if it never happened," he said bitterly. "Unfortunately, the Chalice is locked away as well. I have no wish to retrieve it myself, but fetching it might do you some good." He groaned. "My head is positively throbbing now... can you see it? I need to lie down. Find someone to tell you the rest of the story. Get the Chalice." He stood up and wobbled to a door in the back.

Wrothken's head was starting to throb as well. He took an empty seat to try to sort out what Thadon had told him. Thadon's Chalice of Reversal was missing. The Chalice helped him eat something called felldew. A woman took it, after a love affair, which is now being treated as if it didn't happen... Sympathy ran through him for a moment, but that still didn't tell him where the Chalice was hidden.

Wide-Eye returned, taking the seat next to him. "You've been speaking to Thadon. I can tell. He has a certain... effect on people. Did he mention me, perhaps?" She asked hopefully. When Wrothken gave her a confused look, she asked disappointedly, "Or was there something else you wanted to discuss?"

"He wants me to get his Chalice of Reversal."

"It's precious to him, and that's all that matters. It's his own business. But, didn't he mention where it is?” Wide-Eye paused for a moment. “Oh... I see. How brilliant of him." She seemed to be swooning every time she praised him. "This is for you as much as it is for him. Oh, very good Thadon! Dunroot Burrow is your goal, my friend. And what a goal it is."

"Dunroot Burrow..." He said, taking out his map. "Where is this place?"

She pointed. "Yes, right there. A most unique place. Of course, the Chalice would be there!" She cupped his face in her scaly hands. "Don't you see? It's the Elytra! They're the reason. The Chalice, Felldew, Elytra... it's all connected." She poked his nose. "One without the others is no good, poison. Oh, a rough road awaits you. Some Elytra there are... different. You'll need to get Felldew from them, and eat it. Can't get in without it. But once you do... He wants you to learn for yourself. Learn, grow, experience. It's his way. I shouldn't say more."

Wrothken looked around the table. "What's felldew?"

She tapped her lip, lowering her eyes. "Well, perhaps Thadon would want you to have a bit more guidance. He did say that you should talk to me, did he not?" She stroked his cheek softly. "Felldew is a poison, little one. A very dangerous drug. You'll feel good at first, but that wears off, and if you go long without it, you'll suffer."

Wrothken felt a numbing throughout his body. A drug? Thadon was trying to get him addicted to drugs? Without a word, he got up and dashed outside.

He paced by the stairs, trying to think of another way. He didn't want to risk it. He just couldn't. After all, he was able to keep a hold of his sanity so far. Why would he risk losing it to addiction?

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:39 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 11 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

Once again, Haskill does not disappoint!

Are we getting the picture here?"
We are now! Thadon is the manic whirlwind one would expect from a Duke of Mania.

Opposites repel, strangely enough. All that... pleasure... and pain locked away now
A nice little bit of foreshadowing about Thadon's relationship with another Bosmer, (but this one not a blond bowgirl from Bravil).

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 11 2011, 06:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Feb 12 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

Oh, Thadon, Thadon, Thadon. So full of life, so full, so full, and yet, empty. 'Twould make any mortal Manic.

With another fanfic I'm caught up on, I am realizing more and more that my own personal rules of not reading others' stories for Oblivion and Oblivion related material was a mistake. Glad that's corrected now...

I find myself perplexed by Wrothken. While I've known a few men put through his sorrows, I've never actually known one that had been truly, absolutely in love with a woman, only to have her stomp on his heart. As a character, he intrigues me, and his already shaky psyche means he could trip and fall into either of the halves of the Madgod's Divided Mind.

Nit:
QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Feb 10 2011, 10:51 PM) *

As people stuffed their faces while smoking pipes and what appeared to be rolled pieces of parchment.

This is a sentence fragment, you may want to drop the "As" at the beginning. It suggests that there should be more to the thought to make this a whole sentence.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 12 2011, 01:37 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

Makes you wonder if Wide-Eye isn't the one that hid the Chalice, lol. You made a very memorable character with her - and even though I did that quest I did not remember her from the game, lol. Awesome Write !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:10 PM