2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impression, It's.... pretty
stargelman
post Mar 15 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Hi everyone, I just played ESO for a few hours and wanted to share.

I should add I've only played yesterday evening and a few hours today, though I made several characters and one of them ("Stargelman") got quite a few hours of play. My experience is limited, but enough for a first impression, I think.

The good:

Character generation is fun, so you get fun right at the beginning. You can customize your character in many ways, and it's very easy to make your character very pretty or butt-ugly. I always thought that to be impossible in Oblivion, I was never happy with the way my character would look. Not so in ESO. You can easily get the look you're aiming for, and the options for customization are good and plenty.

Speaking of good and plenty, that's also true for the world. It's huge and it's pretty-looking. No matter in what part of Tamriel you start, it all looks pretty, and all three starting locations have their own unique look. There are forests, beaches, hills, mountains and of course all kinds of critters both friendly and fierce. Deer seem to be on tranqs as they no longer run away. You can also opt to chase butterflies or fireflies (called lamp bugs) for hours, if that floats your boat.

The bad:

Don't expect any of your choices to matter, save the decision what faction you wish to belong to. That, after all, determines your starting location. Anything else? Doesn't matter. You can pick a class, but what difference that makes in the end is a mystery to me. Everyone gets skills based on stamina and magicka, it's just different but very similar-working skills. I haven't seen any class-based quest differences at all. So why even pick a class? Why even have them?

As for dialog... that's never been a strength of TES games, I guess. But it's actually worse in ESO than it is in other games, for one simple reason. In the main series games, you were automatically assumed to be the hero, the guy (or gal) who saves the entire universe and then some. So when people approached you and said "I've heard good things of you. Can you please save my entire family while risiking your immortal soul, and all of that for free?" you'd think, "sure, I am THE hero, after all". In ESO, it's harder to pretend to be The Chosen One™ when you're literally drowning in crowds of heroes and you have to search high and low for something to kill because as soon as anything spawns, someone else will be there and mow it down.

Still, in other MMOs, you get to at least pick and act a certain role. You can play a guy who's just in it for the money, a classical hero or a guy who's just a total bastard for the heck of it. The dialog options in, say SWTOR allow to act that out and it does make a difference. Sometimes just in subtle ways like an alignment shirt, but still. Nothing like that I've seen in ESO.

I won't moan about bugs because what I played was a beta, so you'd expect some rough edges. That's after all what a beta is for. There still seem to be plenty left, but then, it's got "Elder Scrolls" in the name wink.gif

The interface, in my opinion, still needs a lot of work until it's up to par in terms of usability and features. Five quick slots? FIVE? I've got 50 in SWTOR huh.gif Also, there seems to be very little customizability there, aside from resizing the chat window.

In summary:

Good-looking, but kind of soulless. Kind of yadda yadda. I can't see myself spending money on that or playing it for prolonged times. Someone said good content would only come at a higher level (they said something like level 45) but why would I stick with it that long if I didn't really enjoy it? Or pay big bucks for it, for that matter? If they make it free-to-play later, I might give it a second look, but I'll probably spend most of my time in character generation.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Mar 15 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Hmm. I'm thinking of getting it. Compared to other MMO games, is it any good?

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 15 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I think the summary said "No, not really," lol

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Mar 15 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

The spawn rates are very high because of beta.

That's why things get mowed down very quickly, it's a stress test it won't be as full when the game comes out.

Also the interface will be mod-able.

Also SWTOR is completely different, don't compare the too.

This post has been edited by ImperialSnob: Mar 15 2014, 08:00 PM
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Mar 15 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Senor Snore
Group Icon

If anything, the spawn rates were too low, not too high. What I meant was that it was overcrowded with players. SWTOR handles that by dividing players into several instances. I don't know if anything like that is planned for ESO though.

And I can't compare it to anything else because I haven't played anything else smile.gif

I'll say this though: If you like TES games solely or mostly for the ability to roam a huge open world and discovering stuff, you will probably like ESO.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Mar 15 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

Sounds like I'll enjoy ESO then

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 15 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #7

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 10:56 AM) *
... You can also opt to chase butterflies or fireflies (called lamp bugs) for hours, ...

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 12:28 PM) *
...If you like TES games solely or mostly for the ability to roam a huge open world and discovering stuff, you will probably like ESO. ...

Sounds good to me!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts after playing some. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 15 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 02:28 PM) *

If anything, the spawn rates were too low, not too high. What I meant was that it was overcrowded with players. SWTOR handles that by dividing players into several instances. I don't know if anything like that is planned for ESO though.

ESO is instanced as well, and I've had issues where people that I want to group with are in different instances of the game... and we can't see each other or interact.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 15 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I played it briefly and while the environment was beautiful, the game felt a bit hollow.

I also noticed that there were too few enemies to go around and one of the other major issues that I noticed was that you tend to get stuck randomly in a few places or fall through the terrain. It was the beta though so hopefully they'll iron all of that out later on. I'm not sure though because the other ES games are still filled with bugs years after release despite numerous patches and revisions and the scale of the single player games is much smaller.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Mar 15 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #10

Senor Snore
Group Icon

TBH concerning the overcrowding, I guess it's to be expected considering there's only a few days of beta-playing for everyone. It'll probably be quieter a few months after launch.

And getting stuck is for one an old TES tradition and secondly it also happens in other MMOs. In SWTOR, I think /stuck is my most used command wink.gif

KC, I'd think that if you join a group, it should switch instances. If it doesn't, I'd talk to the developers, because that'd sound like a bug. It also explains why some people in the zone chat complained about there being so few people around. Also, perhaps there's a manual way to switch instances?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Mar 15 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

I don't think you should be comparing all MMOs to SWTOR.

There's a reason the game went F2P in record time.
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 15 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 02:57 PM) *

KC, I'd think that if you join a group, it should switch instances. If it doesn't, I'd talk to the developers, because that'd sound like a bug. It also explains why some people in the zone chat complained about there being so few people around. Also, perhaps there's a manual way to switch instances?

I would think that it should too. I've complained about it numerous times. I have no idea if there is a way to manually switch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 15 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #13

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 15 2014, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 10:56 AM) *
... You can also opt to chase butterflies or fireflies (called lamp bugs) for hours, ...

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 12:28 PM) *
...If you like TES games solely or mostly for the ability to roam a huge open world and discovering stuff, you will probably like ESO. ...

Sounds good to me!

To me too, but I still dont feel drawn towards MMOs. Thanks though for your first impressions, mr Stargel smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 16 2014, 05:43 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 15 2014, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(stargelman @ Mar 15 2014, 02:57 PM) *

I would think that it should too. I've complained about it numerous times. I have no idea if there is a way to manually switch.

Ok you can actually travel to friends.

There are so many broken quests.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 26 2014, 02:35 AM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

This thread's an interesting read. I won't be getting ES: O anytime soon, but it's cool to read others impressions about it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 26 2014, 02:45 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

My opinion of ESO is about the same as yours. Good looking (for an MMO) but soulless.

The combat needs a lot of work, it feels very generic and lackluster. There's no "zing" to anything you do, it just feels like whacking things with foam until one of you keels over. Skyrim's combat may have been over-simplistic, but it did have a feel to it similar to the game (rough and harsh). ESO's is just robotic.

It also commits a major no-no for MMOs: allowing other players you don't know and have never actually met (or even seen their characters at all) to impact your quests. Say you get a "kill boss" quest. You walk across the map to the cave, enter, then one of two things happen:

1. You find the boss room has no boss, just a horde of players waiting for it to respawn. When it does, it dies in two seconds, you only got one or two hits in.

2. five seconds after entering, your objective updates. The boss died and updated your quest. You were never even there.

I didn't play past the starter segments because the game made a TERRIBLE first-impression for me. The starter segments need to sell your game, not bore the players.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 26 2014, 08:53 AM
Post #17

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 26 2014, 02:45 AM) *

It also commits a major no-no for MMOs: allowing other players you don't know and have never actually met (or even seen their characters at all) to impact your quests. Say you get a "kill boss" quest. You walk across the map to the cave, enter, then one of two things happen:

1. You find the boss room has no boss, just a horde of players waiting for it to respawn. When it does, it dies in two seconds, you only got one or two hits in.

2. five seconds after entering, your objective updates. The boss died and updated your quest. You were never even there.

One MAJOR reason I prefer single player games... tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 26 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 25 2014, 09:45 PM) *

OH my gosh. blink.gif What the hell?

I can remember playing Everquest long ago; although the issues I had with that game aren't similar to the ones in this thread so far, I too found myself rolling my eyes at all the other player characters crowding out the quests I managed to find. I remember hooking up with a group of other PCs, getting really excited, only to find this horde would RUN everywhere at full speed. I had to run to keep up with them, and for this reason, immersion was out the door. There were some good things about EQ too, but overall I couldn't get into it.

Well. I mean, people begged and begged Bethesda (or Zenimax, in this case) to make an MMO; now they've got their wish. *shrugs*

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Mar 26 2014, 12:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vital
post Mar 26 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

I've been watching a few ESO videos and as I watch them I start to think to myself:

"Oh this actually looks quite good."

"The world looks so cool."

"I would love to explore the unseen parts of Tamriel"

etc etc etc

Then I see all the 'heroes' running around and realise I could never play a game, let alone an elder scrolls game, with that many people running around doing the exact same thing as me. That just completely ruins roleplay for me. The game looks pretty good, but I don't think I could ever do an MMO.

Also, Renee. I don't think many people really wanted an elder scrolls MMO. Most TES players don't really play MMOs. I think what most people wanted was a way to play TES with a friend or two. Somehow that got warped into an elder scrolls MMO.

This post has been edited by Vital: Mar 26 2014, 01:01 PM

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 26 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

So everyone's in agreement in wishing for a single player version of ESO? laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:08 AM