Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why the lie? Forced to be a werewolf?
mALX
post Dec 16 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

The official guide for Skyrim says you don't have to become a werewolf and can still complete the Companions questline. Farkas says you won't be forced into it in the game.

So why does Skor (spelling) and Aida the Lupine (spelling) force you into it? There was no way to exit the dialogue unless you choose to say "I'm Ready." No exit was showing on the bottom of the screen. The tab and load were both blocked from the ability to use them so you couldn't even back out and reload from there! And you were held in place so couldn't just walk out of the cave!!

The only way to get out of it was to agree to become one, then once out of the cave load a previous save. (Or what I did, QUIT the game to menu and then go into the load screen. I reloaded a previous save from before that second quest.

Is this a glitch or what?

(do I sound ticked? I am.)

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 16 2011, 07:30 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
treydog
post Dec 17 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Wanted to be specific on a couple of points- one gameplay and the other preferences.

I ran into this "show-stopper" with my first character, who was pre-1.2 patch. I did the first few Companions quests, including the one where the player character discovers the secret (helping one of the others- who becomes a werewolf to beat the Silver Hand hunters).

So then got the- "Come with me to the hidden locale under the Skyforge" invite. Did that- saw Aela in wolf form and was asked to joing the Circle. Said- "No thanks" and left. But- at that point I also had to effectively abandon the faction, because I could see NO other way to advance.

And that leads me to the "preference" note. I tend to RP all of my characters. There are things they will not do- or will only do under extreme duress. That includes becoming a werewolf. The idea that there is no "back-path" to solving the Companions' "curse" just strikes me as being rushed and lazy game design. That is ESPECIALLY true since they limited the number of joinable factions in the game AND since my character is pretty darned unsure about joining either the Legion OR the Stormcloaks.

Moral ambiguity can be a GOOD thing in a story or a game- but it is only good if you are given choices. And that is where this seems to break down. It would not matter so much to me if I did not find MUCH about the game to love.

End rant

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 17 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Dec 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *

Wanted to be specific on a couple of points- one gameplay and the other preferences.

I ran into this "show-stopper" with my first character, who was pre-1.2 patch. I did the first few Companions quests, including the one where the player character discovers the secret (helping one of the others- who becomes a werewolf to beat the Silver Hand hunters).

So then got the- "Come with me to the hidden locale under the Skyforge" invite. Did that- saw Aela in wolf form and was asked to joing the Circle. Said- "No thanks" and left. But- at that point I also had to effectively abandon the faction, because I could see NO other way to advance.

And that leads me to the "preference" note. I tend to RP all of my characters. There are things they will not do- or will only do under extreme duress. That includes becoming a werewolf. The idea that there is no "back-path" to solving the Companions' "curse" just strikes me as being rushed and lazy game design. That is ESPECIALLY true since they limited the number of joinable factions in the game AND since my character is pretty darned unsure about joining either the Legion OR the Stormcloaks.

Moral ambiguity can be a GOOD thing in a story or a game- but it is only good if you are given choices. And that is where this seems to break down. It would not matter so much to me if I did not find MUCH about the game to love.

End rant

I didn't want anyone to think I was putting down the game, just irritated to have choices taken from me. The only guilds the player can join (that I have found) have been ones I did not want my character to associate with - at least not at this stage of the game.

(other than the College of Winterhold, which I found unsatisfyingly short and over before it started).

Like you, I have also wanted to stay neutral with the Civil War issues.

Also, there is a feeling of being rushed through these factions. In joining the College, the second quest they are pinpointing you for greatness, there is no working up to it and proving yourself. I became Arch Mage in like four quests - and certainly didn't see how I was pegged for greatness that quickly or feel I earned the position of Arch Mage.

In the Companions - the first quest you are let in on their secrets, by the second one you are forced to become a werewolf.

The feeling of being rushed through anything that doesn't involve the dragons/main questline is tangible in these other factions.

I don't know if the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild are the same way or not, but I noticed you have to join both to follow the main questline.

Where are the player's choices in this game? My only choice so far has been pushing off the main questline so I could enjoy the game and get to know Skyrim first.

I'm not trying to insult the game, but I do see flaws in the set-up when you have no choice but to join factions your character wouldn't want to join, when the ones you do want to join are rushed through.

To me, it is a bit of a roleplay killer to be forced to make choices against my will, or not be allowed the time to find immersion in a faction before completely beating the whole questline and becoming master of the faction.

When I was just exploring the game, doing my own thing and getting to know the land and the people/enemies - it was an awesome experience. As soon as I began testing out any questlines (not radiant quests, I like them a lot) - suddenly all my choices were gone and I was being rushed into the game's choices and feeling like all my choices were made for me. Do it this way or don't play this questline.

I don't think it is coincidence that the most powerful and desired shouts were hidden away in the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild factions.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mALX   Why the lie? Forced to be a werewolf?   Dec 16 2011, 07:27 PM
Fawkes   -snip- Yea, in another forum I read that you can...   Dec 16 2011, 11:25 PM
liliandra nadiar   Also have another chance later if you don't ta...   Dec 16 2011, 11:56 PM
McBadgere   The next time you talk to the Kodlak (Before he se...   Dec 17 2011, 06:55 AM
Fawkes   The next time you talk to the Kodlak (Before he s...   Dec 17 2011, 07:05 AM
treydog   @mALX- THANK YOU! I thought I was just missing...   Dec 17 2011, 12:40 PM
mALX   Thanks for commiserating (spelling?) with me Trey...   Dec 17 2011, 03:53 PM
Grits   This is good to know. I will approach that questli...   Dec 17 2011, 04:19 PM
McBadgere   My daughter (who's finished the DB ones and ...   Dec 17 2011, 07:50 PM
mALX   My daughter (who's finished the DB ones and...   Dec 17 2011, 09:03 PM
Destri Melarg   Throughout the long months leading up to this game...   Dec 17 2011, 10:23 PM
Thomas Kaira   There are so many choices this game forces you to ...   Dec 27 2011, 08:27 AM
will79   There are so many choices this game forces you to...   Dec 29 2011, 04:18 PM
Black Hand   Morrowind = Total immersion, rich lore, complete p...   Dec 27 2011, 10:41 AM
mALX   As proof and tempering of tempers, may I present...   Dec 30 2011, 02:25 AM
McBadgere   LMFAO... Love you too... :P ... :D :lol: ... G...   Dec 27 2011, 01:15 PM
Black Hand   "So you saved Skyrim from the Dragons then.....   Dec 27 2011, 08:31 PM
Lady Saga   I'm glad I read this thread because this is so...   Apr 3 2012, 12:54 PM
Darkness Eternal   There should of been two parts of the Companions w...   Apr 5 2012, 02:17 AM
SubRosa   I cannot see me ever doing the Companions quest li...   Apr 5 2012, 03:18 AM
Lady Saga   I cannot see me ever doing the Companions quest l...   Apr 5 2012, 03:10 PM
Darkness Eternal   Yeah. Kodlak, Farkas, Vilkas are just plain meh. S...   Apr 5 2012, 04:42 AM
McBadgere   Indeed, the Civil War quest is horrible... :D ...   Apr 5 2012, 06:11 AM
Darkness Eternal   I loved some of the story itself on the Companions...   Apr 5 2012, 03:59 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:15 AM