Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dust, Lovecraftian-ish mini horror story
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2020, 01:54 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is a little story Khajiit wrote up in honor of our recent visitor, the Saharan Dust Cloud! It’s also a bit of a poorly executed Lovecraft homage! It’s only close to a couple of pages long so it won’t take a lot of your time, though you might feel a bit dumber after reading it, lol. Anyway, for those of you who do read it, this one hopes you like it!

Dust
What strange and antediluvian dreams have been borne hither upon hot Saharan winds. The yellow dust of innumerable ages struck out across the ocean, driven by the malignant wind as if by some unknown intelligence. Upon arriving on our shores, the dust settled in our sky, dimming the sun and hiding the moon and stars at night. And then we dreamed.

We dreamed of a beautiful, and lush land inhabited by strange, and peaceful people who were not unlike humans, yet clearly were not. They lived in stone cities of indescribable architecture, where art and culture flourished. In great temples the people worshipped beings from beyond the stars, exalting their benevolence in their creative works. Sacrifices of their crops and finer manufactured goods were also made to these beings, and the civilization prospered. It appeared to be a true utopia.

As we dreamed, time advanced and we saw that the strange people had changed. Their old gods had been forgotten, for they no longer venerated them in their temples, and the sacrificial altars were bare. The people now worshipped gods with names like “Profits”, “Selfishness”, and “Debauchery”, while the impoverished became the new sacrifices. So it was, that at what the people believed to be the height of their civilization, the old gods returned.

One night, from some unknown point in the inky black void of outermost space, what the people thought to be a star fell to the earth. One of the cities was instantly annihilated and from the destruction rose the material forms of the old gods. In a day, the old gods walked the peoples’ lands and left naught but devastation in their wake. They obliterated the cities, and laid the lush fields and valleys to blackened waste. Of the wayward people, not a single one was left living. The destruction was so complete that it would have been incomprehensible to someone visiting the region that anything had lived there the day before.

After the peoples’ existence had been snuffed out, we who dreamed watched as the old gods returned to their home in the void, leaving one of their number on Earth for some ambiguous reason. It descended down into the catacombs deep under the remains of one of the ruined cities, and there in the darkness it fell into a hibernation like sleep. Time advanced again and we beheld a vast desert slowly creeping across the lands of the former civilization, submerging any of the remnants in an ocean of sand.

Soon after the desert consumed all of the lands of the former civilization, human beings appeared in the region. We witnessed the rise of the pyramids, and the coming of the Romans. After their empire retreated, we watched the westward spread of Islam and then the great North African battles of the Second World War. Finally, the dreams ended with a great wind rising up from depths of the Sahara, and an enormous dust cloud lifting up into the air. Somewhere in the darkness beneath the ancient sands, a thing not of this realm of reality, is awakening.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 2 2020, 02:51 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

In his house in Sa'h'ra
dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

I really liked that. The Old Gods FTW!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2020, 03:07 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 1 2020, 08:51 PM) *

In his house in Sa'h'ra
dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

I really liked that. The Old Gods FTW!

Lol, thank you, you are too kind. It is terribly derivative, but Khajiit had to get it out of his noggin. This one actually has a more original idea for the story that he’s kicking around in his head.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
macole
post Jul 2 2020, 03:34 AM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

Oh this one got me dreaming! I had just finished watching NOVA on PBS describing the Mesozoic Era. As usual it ends with an asteroid strike that sets the sky on fire. So I was thinking what if these peaceful peoples were dinosaur. A fledgling intelligent dinosaur snuffed out before its potential could be realized.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2020, 05:37 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Jul 1 2020, 09:34 PM) *

Oh this one got me dreaming! I had just finished watching NOVA on PBS describing the Mesozoic Era. As usual it ends with an asteroid strike that sets the sky on fire. So I was thinking what if these peaceful peoples were dinosaur. A fledgling intelligent dinosaur snuffed out before its potential could be realized.

Khajiit kinda envisioned them being similar in appearance to Argonians actually, lol
No tails but otherwise similar.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jul 2 2020, 05:50 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 2 2020, 07:19 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

I was half-thinking of the reptilians from The Nameless City.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 2 2020, 01:19 AM) *

I was half-thinking of the reptilians from The Nameless City.

Ooo could very well have been something like them!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 2 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to the arena of sharing your writing, Khajiit!

A nicely done post and thought-provoking concept.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jul 2 2020, 01:08 PM) *

Welcome to the arena of sharing your writing, Khajiit!

A nicely done post and thought-provoking concept.

Thank you for the kind words, Acadian!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 5 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah I also like the old ways in Khajiit's dream. So much mystery. I really do believe there were some sort of advanced civilizations which have been long forgotten. Evidence exists, which is often ignored by modern, close-minded scholars.

I really need to find my Lovecraft book too. emot-ninja1.gif I had a huge tome a full of LC stories. Bought it years ago. Went looking for it a month ago, where the heck did I put it? Gr...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:54 PM